Sponsored by:

Modding the E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Modding the E63

I am not interested in doing anything immediately, but I expect to modify my E63 at some point. With a natural aspirated motor, you have a lot of upside potential; the compression ratio can be modified in several ways to allow for twin turbos, etc.

But, I was wondering about the weak link--the transmission. When modding my Dodge Cummin, I put a triple lock torque converter, a Fairbanks Racing valve body and a billeted input shaft in the transmission to handle 850 ft. lbs. of torque. Or, I could have installed a Stage 3 after market transmission that would withstand 1200 ft. lbs of torque for only about $6,000.

Surely some of you mechanical engineers can anticipate the manner in which the 7 speed will need to be strengthened. My guess is that it would cost a bundle to install a Stage 3 transmission in the E.

So, what do you think will be available to handle 700+ HP and when will it be available and what will it cost?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Cosmic Benz
I am not interested in doing anything immediately, but I expect to modify my E63 at some point. With a natural aspirated motor, you have a lot of upside potential; the compression ratio can be modified in several ways to allow for twin turbos, etc.

But, I was wondering about the weak link--the transmission. When modding my Dodge Cummin, I put a triple lock torque converter, a Fairbanks Racing valve body and a billeted input shaft in the transmission to handle 850 ft. lbs. of torque. Or, I could have installed a Stage 3 after market transmission that would withstand 1200 ft. lbs of torque for only about $6,000.

Surely some of you mechanical engineers can anticipate the manner in which the 7 speed will need to be strengthened. My guess is that it would cost a bundle to install a Stage 3 transmission in the E.

So, what do you think will be available to handle 700+ HP and when will it be available and what will it cost?
Get an e55.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:27 PM

E63
You mean buy an E55 and take out the transmission and put it into the E63? Then park the E55 around Flemingdon Park and hope somebody steals it?

Then use the proceeds to put some dish pistons in the E63 with twin-turbos and get the rig up to about 900 HP and buy an enlarged rear view mirror so you can watch the E55s disappearing in the distance--along with the M5s?

Or buy a Hayabusa--something that is really fast?

No, I don't want to do any of that, but I appreciate your thoughtfulness and would be receptive to some less expensive ideas like, what I might could do to strengthen the transmission of an E63.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
You mean buy an E55 and take out the transmission and put it into the E63? Then park the E55 around Flemingdon Park and hope somebody steals it?

Then use the proceeds to put some dish pistons in the E63 with twin-turbos and get the rig up to about 900 HP and buy an enlarged rear view mirror so you can watch the E55s disappearing in the distance--along with the M5s?

No, I don't want to do any of that, but I appreciate your thoughtfulness and would be receptive to some less expensive ideas like, what I might could do to strengthen the transmission of an E63.
It's not going to be easy. Keep in mind that MB hasn't figured out how to do it yet; that's why the V12s still use the 5 speed, which is certified for 1000 N-m of torque versus 700 for the 7 speed. More gears equals smaller parts. The tranny is the weak link in all AMGs.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:45 PM

Well said...lmao

Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
6.2L is rated at around 500HP, depending on the chassis.

More aggresive software tuning with headers and higher flowing airboxes will push this number closer to 550HP. Next step will be more aggressive cams, which will take away some low end driveability.

High500, maybe 600HP.

After that the only route is "juice" or forced induction.

5-6 psi and we are at 700HP treshhold.

Will tranny live????

Lets find out!

The tuning starts this week..................
Old 03-12-2007, 08:32 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Get an e55.
Seems to be alot of 'E63 envy". Is this a MB or BMW forum?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by 05VENOM
Seems to be alot of 'E63 envy". Is this a MB or BMW forum?

Not sure if you noticed, but Bob doesn't even have an E55. How is that E63 envy?

Back on topic, I'm no auto tranny expert (I've rebuilt a bunch of manuals, though ) but I wouldn't hold my breath for 7spd upgrades right now. It's been out for quite some time and MB hasn't figured out how to make it live behind their tq-monster motors.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by WayneE
Not sure if you noticed, but Bob doesn't even have an E55. How is that E63 envy
I noticed he had one. It just seems that not one thread goes by without mention that an E55 is faster/better than the 63. Funny that's all.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

I noticed he had one. It just seems that not one thread goes by without mention that an E55 is faster/better than the 63. Funny that's all.
I like both cars, but what i was trying to say is that for modding e55 is much much better car!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:18 AM

E63
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Get an e55.
Funny but the only discussions we hear on this board regarding the E63 are that the E55 has much more torque and accordingly is a better, faster car. Not trying to start an argument here as most of the people I have meet on this board are E55 owners. But just for a moment please indulge me…The argument for the E55 is that it has so much more torque than the E63 and accordingly the E55 is much faster. However, there is the consistent argument regarding the E55/E63 verses the M5. How is it possible that an M5 can even compete with an E55/E63 considering it has only 383 foot pounds of torque? This is almost 80 lbs less than the E63 and almost 120 lbs less than the E55. If it’s all about torque then the M5 should be so much slower than either of the aforementioned MB rides, no? Ok done venting…

Cosmic BenZ – I have also been looking for information regarding what needs to be done to ready the E63 for increased Hp, to no avail. There are many very experienced members on this board with sage advice. I think it’s just so early in the model that people have yet to experiment. So, I think it may be up to us, as I have been thinking of going TT for awhile now. So what the heck, let’s do the R&D and pave the way…
Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban

Are you so fragile that the thought of people not liking your car bothers you that much? Yes, there are E55 owners on here that are insecure and don't like to entertain the thought that they bought the wrong car or a newer model is nicer than their E55. Big deal. I'm sure there are E63 owners on here that don't like my E55. It doesn't bother me at all. Drive what you like

Originally Posted by gE63
Funny but the only discussions we hear on this board regarding the E63 are that the E55 has much more torque and accordingly is a better, faster car. Not trying to start an argument here as most of the people I have meet on this board are E55 owners.

As an E55 owner, I like the E63. There are a bunch of improvements over my E55 and the car is no slouch in the performance dept. Do I think it's slower than my E55? Yes.

But just for a moment please indulge me…The argument for the E55 is that it has so much more torque than the E63 and accordingly the E55 is much faster. However, there is the consistent argument regarding the E55/E63 verses the M5. How is it possible that an M5 can even compete with an E55/E63 considering it has only 383 foot pounds of torque? This is almost 80 lbs less than the E63 and almost 120 lbs less than the E55. If it’s all about torque then the M5 should be so much slower than either of the aforementioned MB rides, no? Ok done venting…

From a dig, the US-spec M5 is much slower than an E55. At one of our track days, I drove an M5 and my E55. My best time in my stock E55 that day was 12.16@115.29 and 12.57@117 in the stock E60 M5. The issue was the lack of low end power and the US-spec launch control. Without the low end tq, the car requires revs to launch - revs the US-spec launch control won't allow.

Cosmic BenZ – I have also been looking for information regarding what needs to be done to ready the E63 for increased Hp, to no avail. There are many very experienced members on this board with sage advice. I think it’s just so early in the model that people have yet to experiment. So, I think it may be up to us, as I have been thinking of going TT for awhile now. So what the heck, let’s do the R&D and pave the way…

Spray it
Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Are you so fragile that the thought of people not liking your car bothers you that much? Yes, there are E55 owners on here that are insecure and don't like to entertain the thought that they bought the wrong car or a newer model is nicer than their E55. Big deal. I'm sure there are E63 owners on here that don't like my E55. It doesn't bother me at all. Drive what you like
Fragile?? Ha Ha Ha!! On the contrar... I thought this was a joint forum.
E55/E63 owners living in harmony.....No, fragile is the look on E55 owners when I smoke their *** in my VIPER....And I could care less who likes my cars. There are 5 other e-classes on my block. They can't even tell mine is different, but who cares, I DO drive what I like.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:56 PM

. How is it possible that an M5 can even compete with an E55/E63 considering it has only 383 foot pounds of torque? This is almost 80 lbs less than the E63 and almost 120 lbs less than the E55. If it’s all about torque then the M5 should be so much slower than either of the aforementioned MB rides…
It's not. It's all about lbs per HP Though I still think in a drag race the E-class AMG's are faster....Even though there are many more factors; aerodynamics, tire width, gearing, etc the majority of the time a car with a better lbs/hp ratio is faster dragging...now if you are considering track racing..there are even more factors that come into play.

Last edited by 05VENOM; 03-13-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Fragile?? Ha Ha Ha!! On the contrar... I thought this was a joint forum.
E55/E63 owners living in harmony.....No, fragile is the look on E55 owners when I smoke their *** in my VIPER....And I could care less who likes my cars. There are 5 other e-classes on my block. They can't even tell mine is different, but who cares, I DO drive what I like.

As far as living in harmony, there are always going to be haters. You just have to ignore them. I've been on these forums for a while and most of the people on here are decent guys that are gearheads.

And stop scaring our slow E55s with your big, bad Viper (I hope you aren't over a stock SRT-10)

It's not. It's all about lbs per HP Though I still think in a drag race the E-class AMG's are faster....Even though there are many more factors; aerodynamics, tire width, gearing, etc the majority of the time a car with a better lbs/hp ratio is faster dragging...now if you are considering track racing..there are even more factors that come into play.

An M5 and AMG E are pretty close in weight. Both are closing in on the 2 ton mark.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Powerchip performance software will gain around 25rwhp and 30rwtq... That's a definitely a good mod to think about.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Aaron
Old 03-13-2007, 11:08 PM

As far as living in harmony, there are always going to be haters. You just have to ignore them. I've been on these forums for a while and most of the people on here are decent guys that are gearheads.

And stop scaring our slow E55s with your big, bad Viper (I hope you aren't over a stock SRT-10)

An M5 and AMG E are pretty close in weight. Both are closing in on the 2 ton mark.

WayneE, I have to admit, I am L.M.A.O. As for as the Viper, well it's not COMPLETELY stock
Old 03-14-2007, 12:40 AM

1973 Yugo
doesnt the e63 weigh like 4300 lbs.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:59 AM

E63
I agree with your statement. It’s just that when the E55 guys talk about their “superior” ride they comment on the torque. Such comments come to mind as “HP sells cars but TQ win races.” However, the M5 has significantly less TQ and still seams to keep up with the E55/E63. This is my point… All of the arguments from the E55 guys are that their ride is superiors because it has 40 more lbs of torque than the E63. However, the M5 which has close to the QT times of the E63 (or E55), has 80 lbs less of torque (than the E63, 120 lbs less than the E55). Also, the E63 has very similar QT times as the E55 with less TQ. So the argument does not hold water in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Banned

Cobra/E55
I agree with your statement. It’s just that when the E55 guys talk about their “superior” ride they comment on the torque. Such comments come to mind as “HP sells cars but TQ win races.” However, the M5 has significantly less TQ and still seams to keep up with the E55/E63. This is my point… All of the arguments from the E55 guys are that their ride is superiors because it has 40 more lbs of torque than the E63. However, the M5 which has close to the QT times of the E63 (or E55), has 80 lbs less of torque (than the E63, 120 lbs less than the E55). Also, the E63 has very similar QT times as the E55 with less TQ. So the argument does not hold water in my opinion.
You have a VERY valid point!!!

I think when it comes down to power vs. times, aside from power, suspension setup/quality along with rim/tire size play a huuuuuge role.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:06 AM

Large amounts of torque down low are useful for getting a heavy car moving, but generally speaking, the amount of HP under the curve is the dominant factor for 1/4-mile racing. Once the car gets past its torque peak in 1st gear, low-end torque capability becomes a non-factor. Now it's a matter of maintaining high HP going through the gears. BMW does this with high RPMs (7500+). The E63 does it with a torque curve that peaks high in the RPM range (5000 RPM) and about 500 more useful RPMs than an E55.

An E55 has the advantage that in addition to the big torque down low, the blower also extends the torque band, allowing it to perform well in its upper RPM range. The equalizer seems to be the (in)ability to launch the car well. If the ECU applies the brakes and/or closes the TB during a hard launch, how effective is the big torque down low?

For the three cars mentioned (E55, E63, M5), I think launch technique will determine who wins. If they all have identical 60-foot times, then they will probably be neck and neck through the traps.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
^^^well said.

so far (for now) nothing can keep up with a properly launched e55 which is why there are so many people that still prefer the platform. i've yet to see m5/6's get close to e55 60ft times and there just aren't enough 63's getting off their asses and hitting the strip trying to prove otherwise.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:16 AM

Even throughout BMW's other lineups (3,6,7 series) their cars always do well in mag. comparos (acceleration numbers) with usually alot less torque than their competitors

Originally Posted by chiromikey
^^^well said.

so far (for now) nothing can keep up with a properly launched e55 which is why there are so many people that still prefer the platform. i've yet to see m5/6's get close to e55 60ft times and there just aren't enough 63's getting off their asses and hitting the strip trying to prove otherwise.
Had to wait for the break-in period. Justy hit 1,200 miles. Will be going to E-town this weekend if weather holds up. I am just as anxious as everybody else to see the numbers. From what I've read and from previous E55 threads...I am expecting mid 12's (12.4-12.6) at @113-116
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have been on the record for saying the E63 is a better car overall..

I love the torque.. but the 5.5k motors is very rough around the edges and the heating issues are always a problem.

I'll take a used E63 next year...
Old 03-15-2007, 12:44 AM

E63
Back to the original post…does anyone know how to strengthen the E63 drive train? Just found out tonight that the maximum rated torque of the 63 seven speed is 516 foot pounds. This leaves us no room to modify these cars. Sucks no? Any suggestions (other than buying an E55)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modding the E63