spent the weekend driving an m5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by OzE55
enough of the pi$$ing contest..............what was the M5 like as a weekend drive? What was your impression of the ride quality, gear shift and general creature comforts compared to the E?

Thanks
i've actually spent a decent amount of time in this car in the past and my impressions are probably exactly what one would expect. the e is a much more comfortable and refined ride while the m is a sports car in disguise. the e's sportiest suspension setting is closer to the m's softest so it's not hard to imagine how much better the m takes on corners. even though i give it a hard time (well, the owners anyways), the m is no slouch. it builds speed very deceptively compared to violently in the 55. i miss the old v8 growl of the new motor but at full revs you know it's an agressive v10. braking is also better than the amg. the smg is great...as long as you're manually shifting. in auto mode it can be driven quite smoothly but even with the tranny in the faster s5 mode it still takes too much time to shift while cruising. obviously, it's a manual transmission so you can't expect miracles. the worst part is kickdown time when you stomp on it, which can be measured with an hourglass. when manually shifting and especially downshifting, it's AWESOME! as cool as the smg is, i still miss the 6 speed of the e39.

imho, the interior of the e is nicer and more comfortable. the m's dynamic seats react quicker than ours because they're mechanical instead of pneumatic but they also sometimes make squeeks when working. the seat cooling pushes air instead of pulling it which probably works a bit better but they're LOUD. that's okay, because the m's stereo is one of the best oem systems i've heard, making ours sound like a economy car. idrive is okay for the driver who knows how to use it but sucks *** when you constantly have to change the radio/cd player all the time because your wife doesn't know how to do it.

gas milage and oil consumption are stupid and you better have stock in an oil company if you want to feel justified in the least bit driving it.

there's really no winner when comparing the e55 and the m5. to me they're as apples and oranges as comparing the e to a sports car. besides both having 4 doors they're really targeted at two different markets. if my buddy didn't buy his first, i'd probably have an e60 right now. as it is, i think i'm more satisfied with the e55. different strokes for different folks for sure.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I agree. The cars are just so different. Whats even more remakable is how close the performance is and how two different design philosophies can get so close. Its craqzy to try and say one is better than the other. Each car is just better suited to a particular type of enthusiast - and marketed as such. Lets face it only enthusiasts will buy an M an AMG.

Two great cars in their own right ... I guess if I was mbe 10 years younger I would be racing around in an M5 ceteris paribus. I would however still envy the blown 55K's grunt.

I have NEVER been in a road going car of any description that is normally aspirated that left me with a plugged in your seat feeling that you get with a F/I car when the torque rush comes in. My first taste of this came in a 930 Porsche as a 10yr old passenger ... and I was converted ever since to FI - and still am. Screamer engines just dont do it for me ... but I do appreciate the M5 for what it is - I absolutely loved the E39(?) ... and still do.

I am more partial to turbo's than S/C (more from an efficiency stand point) and the way a turbo can potter around off boost like a Fiat Lupo - but when you want to wack it - its a rabid beast. With a S/C - clutch system you get the same effect but with everything up front and nothing left for the top end.... which kinda leaves me wanting... It also grinds me that we "waste" around 100hp just to run the S/C ... and thats without a bigger pulley.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monowiper
Originally Posted by stevebez
Lets face it only enthusiasts will buy an M an AMG.
now THAT is so not true, i wish it was though...
unfortunately lots and lots are bought as status symbols, and never driven anywhere close to how some of us enthusiasts drive them
Old 03-20-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
Thumbs up Ditto!!

Originally Posted by chiromikey

no one forced you to read or post here. is it your will that i have to listen to "above 120mph" all the time and am not allowed to dispute it? keep in mind, this is not just about the kleemann car anymore, it comes up ANYTIME an m car loses to something.

a few weeks ago my buddy went to m school and had to listen to goofballs talking about m5/6's beating everything alive all weekend and when he finally says he got beat in every way by a k2 guess what they ALL tell him...yep, "go race him again and make sure you race past 120mph". when he adds that his car was so far behind by 120 and still losing lenghts that it would have never caught up they continue to harass him professing otherwise. it's not hard to figure out where they get these silly ideas because the next day, guess what i see posted all over the m5board...pictures of his m school.

so i'm not only going to finish killing your horse but this internet 120mph myth as well and if you don't like it.....oh well.
chiromikey: Right on the Money!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 AM

2003 E55 K1
Frankly, I'm not sure I could beat a new M5 with my bone stock E55 and I can only imagine that the problem would be worse with mods. My car has been running very strong and I've been having one hell of a time controlling the torque off the line. Any agressiveness at all below 20 mph and I just spin the tires and the engine pulls the power. (This is with ESP on and car in S mode.) It's really getting quite frustrating.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Coalman
Frankly, I'm not sure I could beat a new M5 with my bone stock E55 and I can only imagine that the problem would be worse with mods. My car has been running very strong and I've been having one hell of a time controlling the torque off the line. Any agressiveness at all below 20 mph and I just spin the tires and the engine pulls the power. (This is with ESP on and car in S mode.) It's really getting quite frustrating.
traction (or lack of it) will certainly lose a race for you. where are you located? wondering about the type of surface you're on. also what tire are you running. i recently switched to toyo proxes t1r and was AMAZED at the grip i get with them...i'm talking 1.71 60ft times. these are relatively cheap 19" street tires, not drag radials or auto-x tires, and they're more quiet than the michelin ps2's that i replaced.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Thank-you. I appreciate the comparison.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by Eurosport
now THAT is so not true, i wish it was though...
unfortunately lots and lots are bought as status symbols, and never driven anywhere close to how some of us enthusiasts drive them
You are right - there are a bunch of AMG owners who dont even know how many cylinders their cars have let alone how many spark plugs ...

I would guess its less so for the M's - its a more sporty design - and perhaps those guys are more petrol headed than the AMG clan who tend to be the "older" crowd shall we say... )
Old 03-21-2007, 09:28 AM

2003 E55 K1
Originally Posted by chiromikey
traction (or lack of it) will certainly lose a race for you. where are you located? wondering about the type of surface you're on. also what tire are you running. i recently switched to toyo proxes t1r and was AMAZED at the grip i get with them...i'm talking 1.71 60ft times. these are relatively cheap 19" street tires, not drag radials or auto-x tires, and they're more quiet than the michelin ps2's that i replaced.
I have PS2's and am driving on relatively decent roads. Still have some ash from winter, but the problem has been there since before winter. I may look into the toyo proxes. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town
The Lotus is a blast... Dead opposite of the E. Low HP, low torque, light weight, massive handling.
Do you own a red or yellow Elise?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by newton22
Do you own a red or yellow Elise?

Blue. Here's a pic. (you probably recognize the building in the background)

Old 03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Is that the dentists office? Where is that building?
I should know this, but I don't
Old 03-21-2007, 12:59 PM

2005 E55
The Unocal building near Sugar Creek.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town
The Unocal building near Sugar Creek.
Darn I was close. I'm at the Comerica Bank building often on Sugar Creek Blvd. Or maybe it's Bank of America, I forget -- but it's the tallest building in Sugar Land (which isn't saying much).
Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Never drove an M5... but spent a whole day thrashing a new M6 a Lambo a Ford GT and Bentley Turbo.

The only one that really impressed me as a drivers vehicle... more then my 2005 E55K or my Supercharged 2005 DENALI was............"The Lambo"

Sometimes it pays to pay a rental Company before you buy...