spent the weekend driving an m5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
spent the weekend driving an m5

and damn is it slow...relatively speaking of course. it probably could take a stock e55 above 150mph...but it's got nothing, NOTHING on a properly running stage 2 or higher e55 at ANY speed.

so don't believe the "above 120mph" bs anymore. however, they can still legitimately use the "but in the twisties" cause that car definitely doesn't behave like a big saloon!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
I owned one for 8 months.

I can't see how it's faster in a straight line either. It's no slouch, but vs. the torque of the E55, it's hard to imagine. However, I have never driven the E faster than 90 mph (had one for an afternoon), but I had my M5 up to 175 and I can vouch for the fact that it runs like a scalded cat above 110 mph.

Does the E lose some grunt up at those speeds?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Scott in H-town
...Does the E lose some grunt up at those speeds?
not a properly running one. my e is modded and it doesn't lose any grunt up to 150. i haven't had the need to go any faster as the few others that have tested me usually shut down well before then.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:08 AM

2005 E55
Do you get tested often? In other words, do people know your car is the beast that it is?

I would think most people wouldn't... even some muscle car fans and ricer types.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you get tested often? In other words, do people know your car is the beast that it is?

I would think most people wouldn't... even some muscle car fans and ricer types.
no, not often at all. an f430 f1 and modded tt996 are my biggest fish to date. i'd really like to run a (stock) c6 z06.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by chiromikey
and damn is it slow...relatively speaking of course. it probably could take a stock e55 above 150mph...but it's got nothing, NOTHING on a properly running stage 2 or higher e55 at ANY speed.

so don't believe the "above 120mph" bs anymore. however, they can still legitimately use the "but in the twisties" cause that car definitely doesn't behave like a big saloon!
"Denial is their Child"! Hello M5board!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mazda
Im the /// M5 king of new york, lol, take it from me ive owned 3 E39 ///M5's and there excellent cars, my good freind owns the new ///M6 and i got a few neighborhood wannabee lil punks that got to much money that drive around in the E60 ///M5's LOL, there great cars to drive but there really isnt to much to be impressed about, but when you drive a mother ****ing w211 E55 and its your first time punchin it, hold the **** on cause it'll kick out sideways and if you dont no what the **** your doing behind a wheel of a car, your on the way to day body shop. lol

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...51010cf57c.htm

click this and enjoy its my last ///M5 i had imola red with 19by9 and 19by11's in the rear, magnaflow mufflers, custom headers, dinan ecu, dinan throttle body, full suspension by dinan. etc etc

Got stolen lmfaooo

Last edited by NOEZWA0UT55; 03-19-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 AM

2005 E55
m5board is an awesome board. It's possibly the best community I've been a part of while owning a car for any board. Those guys are true enthusiasts when it comes to their cars. (not saying ppl here aren't, I am just new here)

Most of them would like a little more grunt in the car, but are buying the car for the full package and the handling on the M5 is just amazing...

That being said, when I first drove the E55, I literally LOL'd after I nailed it. The torque and that literal beast under the hood... OMG.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 PM

2007 Porsche 997 TT
m5board is an awesome board. It's possibly the best community I've been a part of while owning a car for any board. Those guys are true enthusiasts when it comes to their cars. (not saying ppl here aren't, I am just new here)

Most of them would like a little more grunt in the car, but are buying the car for the full package and the handling on the M5 is just amazing...

That being said, when I first drove the E55, I literally LOL'd after I nailed it. The torque and that literal beast under the hood... OMG.
Ugh, Scott. Going to the AMG Dark Side???
How's the Lotus?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:03 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by bmwbonehead
Ugh, Scott. Going to the AMG Dark Side???
How's the Lotus?

The Lotus is a blast... Dead opposite of the E. Low HP, low torque, light weight, massive handling.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
not a properly running one. my e is modded and it doesn't lose any grunt up to 150
Agree. I have a suspiscion that the M5 vs E55 top speed runs were against 55s that were having problems with their IC pumps.

I see and hear about someone (C/SLK32, 55s and 65s) having pump problems daily, whether dead or intermittent.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:18 PM

'04 E55
Vadim, I totally agree! What's the best solution for a nice aftermarket IC pump? I think I'm ready to get one, especially now that summer is approaching. Does anyone know PTE's email or phone number? I want buy the 160* thermostat as well.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 03-19-2007, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
Agree. I have a suspiscion that the M5 vs E55 top speed runs were against 55s that were having problems with their IC pumps.

I see and hear about someone (C/SLK32, 55s and 65s) having pump problems daily, whether dead or intermittent.
I would put money on it...especially since I've witnessed a few intermittent failures that didn't store fault codes! I offered that scenario during the debate on the m5board but it was glossed over by bmw narrowmindedness.

I agree that most of the guys over there are true enthusiasts but there are LOT of elitists and armchair racers that only rely on gustav, gear ratios, and paper stats to proclaim victories that they themselves have NEVER had away from their calculator...all the while a few of us are actually reporting what happens in the real world. it's an old german technique, you repeat a lie enough times (in this case the m cars can beat ANYTHING above 120mph) and the masses will eventually start to believe it. I'm just doing my part to set the record straight!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:08 PM

2007 Porsche 997 TT
I would put money on it...especially since I've witnessed a few intermittent failures that didn't store fault codes! I offered that scenario during the debate on the m5board but it was glossed over by bmw narrowmindedness.

I agree that most of the guys over there are true enthusiasts but there are LOT of elitists and armchair racers that only rely on gustav, gear ratios, and paper stats to proclaim victories that they themselves have NEVER had away from their calculator...all the while a few of us are actually reporting what happens in the real world. it's an old german technique, you repeat a lie enough times (in this case the m cars can beat ANYTHING above 120mph) and the masses will eventually start to believe it. I'm just doing my part to set the record straight!
Oh for Christ sake. SHOTGUN + HORSE = THIS TOPIC. Let it go, Mike. Kleeman themselves provided this car and it lost to the lowly M6. What you're saying about the IC may very well be true, but who the hell cares? I certainly wouldn't want to race one of those K-cars in a straight line b/c I know it'll likely beat my ***. You know it too. So, why are you trying so hard to convince everyone if all of you are SO sure about what SHOULD have happened? Self doubt, perhaps????

Last edited by bonehead; 03-19-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Thanks for dropping by and stirring the pot, NOT......

If you want to settle it once and for all, find another E55K4 to line up with you and run on an airstrip and film it.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:30 PM

2007 Porsche 997 TT
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
Thanks for dropping by and stirring the pot, NOT......

If you want to settle it once and for all, find another E55K4 to line up with you and run on an airstrip and film it.
Settle what? I just said the K4 is faster.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
I'm just tryin' to stir the pot some more and solicit a great video
Old 03-19-2007, 07:56 PM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
Originally Posted by SamE55
Vadim, I totally agree! What's the best solution for a nice aftermarket IC pump? I think I'm ready to get one, especially now that summer is approaching. Does anyone know PTE's email or phone number? I want buy the 160* thermostat as well.

Thanks,
Sam
I don't have PTE phone # , but I got his email is tynerfla@bellsouth.net and his name is Patrick T . Just got 160* from him for my car 05 E55.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh for Christ sake. SHOTGUN + HORSE = THIS TOPIC. Let it go, Mike. Kleeman themselves provided this car and it lost to the lowly M6. What you're saying about the IC may very well be true, but who the hell cares? I certainly wouldn't want to race one of those K-cars in a straight line b/c I know it'll likely beat my ***. You know it too. So, why are you trying so hard to convince everyone if all of you are SO sure about what SHOULD have happened? Self doubt, perhaps????

no one forced you to read or post here. is it your will that i have to listen to "above 120mph" all the time and am not allowed to dispute it? keep in mind, this is not just about the kleemann car anymore, it comes up ANYTIME an m car loses to something.

a few weeks ago my buddy went to m school and had to listen to goofballs talking about m5/6's beating everything alive all weekend and when he finally says he got beat in every way by a k2 guess what they ALL tell him...yep, "go race him again and make sure you race past 120mph". when he adds that his car was so far behind by 120 and still losing lenghts that it would have never caught up they continue to harass him professing otherwise. it's not hard to figure out where they get these silly ideas because the next day, guess what i see posted all over the m5board...pictures of his m school.

so i'm not only going to finish killing your horse but this internet 120mph myth as well and if you don't like it.....oh well.

Last edited by chiromikey; 03-19-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Round THREE!

Bonehead alot of guys on both forums are interested in this! However here in the US we will have our own tests and runs(and u know what I'm talking about ) As BMW and AMG enthusiasts YES we all want to know! Just like your favorite football,baseball,or basketball team! We all love the game! No sense denying it! It is what it is and as a result of the K4 and Renntech vids,we have what we have thanks to Gustav,SleeperX,JIDEX and a host of others. So let's all just playball! No need to get aggitated! It's all learning and sharing and having fun!
Bring out the SHOTGUNS and let's ALL go Shooting!!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 03-19-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Round THREE! Bonehead alot of guys on both forums are interested in this! However here in the US we will have our own tests and runs(and u know what I'm talking about ) As BMW and AMG enthusiasts YES we all want to know! Just like your favorite football,baseball,or basketball team! We all love the game! No sense denying it! It is what it is and as a result of the K4 and Renntech vids,we have what we have thanks to Gustav,SleeperX,JIDEX and a host of others. So let's all just playball! No need to get aggitated! It's all learning and sharing and having fun!
Bring out the SHOTGUNS and let's ALL go Shooting!!
That's the spirit! You're DA MAN!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:27 PM

2007 Porsche 997 TT

no one forced you to read or post here. is it your will that i have to listen to "above 120mph" all the time and am not allowed to dispute it? keep in mind, this is not just about the kleemann car anymore, it comes up ANYTIME an m car loses to something.

a few weeks ago my buddy went to m school and had to listen to goofballs talking about m5/6's beating everything alive all weekend and when he finally says he got beat in every way by a k2 guess what they ALL tell him...yep, "go race him again and make sure you race past 120mph". when he adds that his car was so far behind by 120 and still losing lenghts that it would have never caught up they continue to harass him professing otherwise. it's not hard to figure out where they get these silly ideas because the next day, guess what i see posted all over the m5board...pictures of his m school.
Again, my point. Why are you getting so bent outta shape about what other people, in this case some 'goofball' BMW owners, think? If your such a car enthusiast, stop crying about one video or whatever anyone else says for that matter and enjoy your car.

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
No need to get aggitated!
If you read mine and Mike's posts again, I think you'll realize I'm not the one who's agitated.

so i'm not only going to finish killing your horse but this internet 120mph myth as well and if you don't like it.....oh well.
Nice attitude. You're right, Mike. No one asked me to post here. I don't own an AMG (nor have any desire to, just personal preference). Simply a fan of great automotive engineering in general. Just thought the level of maturity would rise above the 'if you don't like it, then tough' reply. Exactly why this will officially be my last post on this forum. Enjoy your cars fellas.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:21 PM

2005 E55
ah man. Don't leave.
I think I'll be on M5board again to say hi. Maybe my name will be "Anakin" since I have turned to "the dark side." lol

M5board is an awesome board. I miss it.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Again, my point. Why are you getting so bent outta shape about what other people, in this case some 'goofball' BMW owners, think? If your such a car enthusiast, stop crying about one video or whatever anyone else says for that matter and enjoy your car.
who's really the one bent outta shape here? i'm adding real world perspective...you're criticizing me for it.

Nice attitude. You're right, Mike. No one asked me to post here. I don't own an AMG (nor have any desire to, just personal preference). Simply a fan of great automotive engineering in general. Just thought the level of maturity would rise above the 'if you don't like it, then tough' reply. Exactly why this will officially be my last post on this forum. Enjoy your cars fellas.
grow up...seriously. i enjoy the debate, i enjoy being the underdog, and i enjoy being right, but i'll certainly admit or apologize if and when i'm wrong. if i was looking for a big pissing match i would have posted this on the m5board, which i did NOT. i just want to discredit their myth that now seems to be circulating everywhere, including here. if your skin is that thin and you're going throw a little hissy fit by threatening not to post on mbworld any more, that's you're right (or problem depending how one looks at it) but don't pretend for one second that you're being "mature" about anything. i certainly welcome any rational dialogue and hope you don't leave.

btw, don't think that i don't believe that the m5 is a badass car...it's one of my favorites of all time and i would have ZERO complaints owning one.

Last edited by chiromikey; 03-19-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
enough of the pi$$ing contest..............what was the M5 like as a weekend drive? What was your impression of the ride quality, gear shift and general creature comforts compared to the E?

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: spent the weekend driving an m5