Sponsored by:

Leaked confirmation of upcoming M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 BMW m3
Question Leaked confirmation of upcoming M5

Here is some info gathered from another forum on the next M5.

"The new 5.5L V10 has many of the innovations integrated into the valvetronic 6.0L V12, as such, there will be no throttle bore, the valve timing will be varied instead (electric motor smooth responsiveness). This new engine - so an engineer freind of mine in Munich says will use Gasoline Direct Injection. The horsepower peak is said to be at approximately 7000rpms and torque is peaking around 4000. It is a high winding engine, and best of all it gives that amazing responsiveness no turbo or supercharged engine can match (yeah i am talking about you Audi and MB). Also, curb weight target is under 3700 in standard manual form and under 3750 in SMG (yeah, did you hear, that is going to be an option (the SMG will debut 3-6months after the M5). Also, it is said that the engine uses an under square bore/stroke. So lets recap:

550hp nat. asp at 7000
480ftlb (est.) at 4000
3,700lbs
Rear wheel drive through 6 sp and complex helical differential
3.68:1 rear axle ratio

Lbs/Hp 6.77
Lbs/Hp in a Dodge Viper: 6.8 (0-60 time - traction limited is 3.8 sec. best run)

which would lead me to believe with a complex traction system, and that power/weight, the new M5 should be keeping the 0-60 under 4 - which no overweight RS6 or RS6 - burdened with the drag of all wheel drive and an automatic could never match."

what's your take on it?
Old 09-27-2002, 09:59 PM

E55 AMG
Outstanding, if true. As the new E55 will be released a good full year or more before the next M5 (as was the case with the last cycle too), the M division should have the upper hand, and I fully expect the new M5 to match or exceed the performance of the new E55.

However, if the car looks anything remotely like the new 7 series, it won't win the COOL car war.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:15 PM

2006 E55 Black
And don't forget that one little detail:

www.mfailure.com
Old 09-27-2002, 11:32 PM

04 BMW m3
Originally posted by KenE55
And don't forget that one little detail:

www.mfailure.com
with all your present day examples of engine failure, i think that bmw is taking ample precautionary measures to make this engine bulletproof. the new smg in the e60 will be more advanced and have a lot more r&d because of the employed smg2 in the current e46. in addition, when sighting blown engines a lot of different factors come into play.its unfair to say all engine failure was due to bmw's manufacturing. more focus should be paid to how these individual cases were remedied. but hey i understand why you point it out. nevertheless a 550hp n/a engine sounds less problem prone than any force fed engine, plus smg relieves a lot of stress that would be present when a driver is controlling the clutch, but most mb amg drivers wouldnt be familiar with that b/c its not an option. wiht all that said the sl55 amg is still the most attractive car on the market to me, well, next to a porsche gt2.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Re: Leaked confirmation of upcoming M5

Originally posted by bimmerlover
Here is some info gathered from another forum on the next M5.

"Also, curb weight target is under 3700 in standard manual form and under 3750 in SMG (yeah, did you hear, that is going to be an option (the SMG will debut 3-6months after the M5)."

what's your take on it?
Unrealistic curb weight target if you ask me.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:00 PM

Certainly the planned n/a V10 with around 550hp will be an impressive vehicle, likely the best all around sport/luxury sedan on the market.
But there is no way you'll see it pull off 0-60 in under 4.0 sec's.

Look at realistic curb weight and compare with what's already out there.
If the E55 (2004 model) is projected at 0-60 in 4.5, same for the RS6, you're expectations are too high. 4.3 perhaps, maybe 4.2.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:40 AM

Porsche 997 C2S
Put your deposit down now for an M5 ... even if you can't buy one I hear you can turn the deposit around nicely for minimum $5k.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:05 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Rolf Scheibner , M cars product manager, says SMG shifting system will soon be the ONLY tranny on all M cars, including next gen M5. Basically says it's better for engine , clutch and tranny . He probably means lower WARRANTY costs for BMW when owners who don't know how to shift in anger mess up and limp the car into service and blame BMW , LOL !
Old 09-29-2002, 07:24 PM

04 BMW m3
Originally posted by MKW
Rolf Scheibner , M cars product manager, says SMG shifting system will soon be the ONLY tranny on all M cars, including next gen M5. Basically says it's better for engine , clutch and tranny . He probably means lower WARRANTY costs for BMW when owners who don't know how to shift in anger mess up and limp the car into service and blame BMW , LOL !
precisely

im thnkin i want one for the exact same reason.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:03 AM
MKW

08 GL450
Along the same line, I have read that the next gen Ferrari 360,456,575 successors will all be sequential manual ONLY , like the just intro'd Enzo model . So say " bub-bye " to the famed chromed shift gate on the F cars .
All car dealers like it because they won't ever have to worry about inventory mix of tranny choice for the walk -in buyer .
Actually, industry seers have said manual clutches will be totally gone from all cars by the end of this decade or sooner.

Last edited by MKW; 09-30-2002 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:58 AM

Humm if that is the case that would be COOL!! But the weight is a little too light... look at the M5 now... and with a V10? thats not going to happen. BMW wont make the M5 front end happy.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:09 AM
MKW

08 GL450
The 5.5L V10 is done. It'll power the M6 also.
I like MBZs use of superchargers for current AMG V8 line , but downside is the weight and frictional losses of a blown motor as RPMs rise, limiting max RPM .
Nice thing about normally aspirated motors is their free revving nature . The BMW motor I'm sure will sing to 7000-8000 RPM .
Kinda like a SL55 vs a Ferrari 360. Drag strip numbers are similar , but one growls like a big ol' American hot rod V8 and the other zinnnngs like an F1 racer . To each his own. Glad we have such an incredible choice of cars . OTOH, I fear the German HP war will lead to some 60 Minutes style hack job that will draw attention to all these 500-600 hp SEDANS trolling the wealthy suburbs of the US and our gov't regs and opportunist legislators will try to be party poopers . I advise the car makers to cool it on the sedans before we are back to the pitiful '70s performance wise , when "fast" cars like the Ferrari 308 and 911 hit 60 in 8 seconds and even the mighty 512BBi Boxer could only do 60 in 5-5.5 seconds.

Last edited by MKW; 09-30-2002 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:50 PM

CLK55, Mini S
I think the next M5 is going to be an amazing car. Personally I would prefer a normally aspirated car. But I do prefer Benz. I may have to buy one of each.

I have heard that AMG is trying to move toward normally aspirated engines in all their models in the future, but I think right now they are having fun squeezing everything they can out of the tremendous 5.5 eight.

Audi RS6?? Yawn. Kind of like a Mercury Marauder in my mind. Take an aging platform and find a way to sell a few hopped up, overpriced versions. It will be a swell car, but you can probably get a tuned A6 right now to do the same thing...or you could have done it last year, or the year before...

The new M5 and E55 are totally new cars on the cutting edge, and soon to be in my driveway. The M5 and E55 will continue to lead the sports sedan market place technologically and in design.

***"our gov't regs and opportunist legislators will try to be party poopers " !!!!!!!

to quote a great American, "From my cold dead hands!"
Old 09-30-2002, 11:06 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Well it's well known that most of the political types ( lobbyists and elected officials liberal or conservative ) inside the Beltway around DC 1)don't have a clue about cars, 2) think a luxury car is a Lincoln limo that is piloted by a " driver", 3) will throw up the megahorsepower deathrace and fuel waste issue as a screen to protect our pitiful Cadillac ( GM) and Lincolns ( Ford ) from their German competitors. If you think we have a totally free marketplace in the US of A , it's only as long as one's pet industry isn't threatened.
Mark my words- it's gonna happen if things get so out of wack that Lincoln and Caddy sink further.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:28 PM

Hey Bimmerlover, please share your thoughts on bmwm5.com too.

Welcome here:

http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/forum...?s=&forumid=27
Old 10-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Almost a Member!

W203 C-Class
Amazing specs if true, just got to wait for how it looks...

-G'day-
Old 10-04-2002, 04:22 AM

63' 220Sb (the one and only with fins)
....ugly to me (new 5 series)!
But with 5.5L V10 and 500HP..., only missing an AWD to get the power on the street.
BTW congratulation to the new VIPER SRT 10, even with RWD. I'm fallen in love with it.

Last edited by The German; 10-04-2002 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:12 AM

C-Class
Hi "The German"

today i saw new pics of the BMW 5 series in the "Auto Bild" there the car looked ok, but nothing really impressive.

what i found very interesting is on the left side of your posting. it shows that you are living in Paderborn, i´m at home in Lichtenau (25km from PB) but work for Mercedes-Hofmann at the Detmolder Str.

do we know each other? if not, i would like to.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:59 PM

04 BMW m3
more leaks

Well, here are a few new things the boys in Munchen have leaked confirmation on.

I: A station wagon (estate, touring, avant - whatever you call it) will debut for the 2005 model year for the M5 - those sick minded ones of you who lavish the idea of beating a corvette (better lb/hp than LS1 or LS6), ferrari (better power to weight than F360, F456), porsche (better hp/l than carrera or turbo - though beating AWD turbo is a stretch), or viper (better lb/hp - but a stretch as well) in a drag race in your station wagon packed full of family and freinds - have fun.

II: A SMG will option with the 6 speed Getrag tranny - the same system that is used in the M3, no automatic will be offered. Period. The SMG has an auto mode, so you stick-phobics can too now enjoy M5.

III: The engine will produce at least 550hp Yes - Five Hundred and Fifty - Don't expect a torque number in the 500s though. No word yet on whether or not it will be magnesium block. The word on head material either (expect aluminum though). A full resonance intake manifold similar to that employed on the M3's 3.2 is also going to find its way in. Expect this V10 to feel a lot like a bigger version of the 3.2. A flat torque curve and a power peak and redline north of 7,000.

IV: Lots of aluminum will be employed in the suspension and body panels. This is a weight saving measure - so as to undercut the overweight RS6 and find an advantage over the relatively lean E55 K. Also, even interior materials are going to be used in weight saving. Word is that special foam will be employed for the seats and insulations. I wouldn't be suprised to see some sort of weight saving glass used either.

The Automatic transmissioned MB SL55 with the same engine that will go into E55 and a 4,300lb curb weight hustled to 60 in 4.3 seconds - beating out a BMW Z8, Ferrari F360, and Aston Martin DB7 Volante in a major magazine comparison. Imagine what type of times could be turned out by a car with 57 more hp and a kansas flat torque curve that never stops - that is also 600lbs lighter - with a 6 speed manual no less.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:22 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Bimmerlover, I hope drivers of M5 Wagons and Cayenne Twin Turbos aren't drag racing Vipers, Vettes and Ferraris with their children in the back seat !
When my kids are in the 996 with me, I drive like their granny - they enjoy it because it's a fun ride, motor whirring behind them. I do worry that guys whose only performance car is a Cayenne or M5 will try to prove themselves with whole family in tow.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:41 PM
Banned

Smart Car
Re: more leaks

Well, here are a few new things the boys in Munchen have leaked confirmation on. .

The Automatic transmissioned MB SL55 with the same engine that will go into E55 and a 4,300lb curb weight hustled to 60 in 4.3 seconds - beating out a BMW Z8, Ferrari F360, and Aston Martin DB7 Volante in a major magazine comparison. Imagine what type of times could be turned out by a car with 57 more hp and a kansas flat torque curve that never stops - that is also 600lbs lighter - with a 6 speed manual no less.

I dont have to imagine anything, as always BMW will roll out a car, in this case M5 that will be marginally faster on paper than MB E55 and RS6 and the rest will all be a BS from clowns like you and the whole argumen will degenerate to something like "but it will kill ya once you get to the twisties".
BMW will claime 0.2 sec. faster than competions and that wll be it.
And thats my "leak". The est iswishfull thinking.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:56 PM

04 BMW m3
Re: Re: more leaks

Originally posted by Fast Eddy
I dont have to imagine anything, as always BMW will roll out a car, in this case M5 that will be marginally faster on paper than MB E55 and RS6 and the rest will all be a BS from clowns like you and the whole argumen will degenerate to something like "but it will kill ya once you get to the twisties".
BMW will claime 0.2 sec. faster than competions and that wll be it.
And thats my "leak". The est iswishfull thinking.
as a matter of fact youre the ****in clown because i didnt write it, i just quoted it from another site. so you can keep your ingorant/naive insults to yourself. now if anyone else has something to say please direct it to me with a little more tact than bobo eddy.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:04 AM
Banned

Smart Car
Re: more leaks

Well, here are a few new things the boys in Munchen have leaked confirmation on.

I: A station wagon (estate, touring, avant - whatever you call it) will debut for the 2005 model year for the M5 - those sick minded ones of you who lavish the idea of beating a corvette (better lb/hp than LS1 or LS6), ferrari (better power to weight than F360, F456), porsche (better hp/l than carrera or turbo - though beating AWD turbo is a stretch), or viper (better lb/hp - but a stretch as well) in a drag race in your station wagon packed full of family and freinds - have fun.

II: A SMG will option with the 6 speed Getrag tranny - the same system that is used in the M3, no automatic will be offered. Period. The SMG has an auto mode, so you stick-phobics can too now enjoy M5.

III: The engine will produce at least 550hp Yes - Five Hundred and Fifty - Don't expect a torque number in the 500s though. No word yet on whether or not it will be magnesium block. The word on head material either (expect aluminum though). A full resonance intake manifold similar to that employed on the M3's 3.2 is also going to find its way in. Expect this V10 to feel a lot like a bigger version of the 3.2. A flat torque curve and a power peak and redline north of 7,000.

IV: Lots of aluminum will be employed in the suspension and body panels. This is a weight saving measure - so as to undercut the overweight RS6 and find an advantage over the relatively lean E55 K. Also, even interior materials are going to be used in weight saving. Word is that special foam will be employed for the seats and insulations. I wouldn't be suprised to see some sort of weight saving glass used either.

Are you trying to say that the "IMAGINE" part in your post is part of what "boys from Munich" leaked as well or is it your own imagination? If that is part of the ****/leak by the "Munich boys" That still makes you a clown because you quoted pissin' clowns from Munich. If the car has 57 more horses and 600lbs less weight-------why should anybody be exesizing their imagination-why these pissin'/leaking "boys from Munich " don't spell out the numbers while they are taking a leak/**** there in Munich??
aand what a b i t ch you are --------because of the leak/**** you posted here you think that everyone here suppose to lic k you p u ss y, you little *****?
Old 10-07-2002, 01:37 AM

04 BMW m3
you know what im getting sick of your ignorant ***. from the original commencement of this post i stated that these were excerpts from some other posts from opposing sites. i, unlike you, dont get upset when i hear opposing views or views i dont like. instead i take the time to rebutt in a more dignified and sensical manner that you do. i can give you the web address where i got it from, but i wont even waste your time. this post was simply to stir up reaction and see what people thought, not to insight childish insults from a drunken fool. listen, if you dont like what im saying pm or do whatever but dont get e-courage and try to show off on the internet. that **** doesnt scare me and it doesnt make me think any higher of u. i think that most people would agree that i'm not here to start any trouble. i love mercedes just as much as the next guy. the sl55 and the cl600 are two of my favorite rides in the world, i love the m3 and the m5. being a car enthusiast i like to shed some light on both sides. i go to the bmw sites and talk about what amg is doing too. so im not the biased uninformed ***** you may think i am.
but if you ever want trouble come and see me face to face. i am here in nyc and i dont fear chumps who talk tough on the internet. i'll beat your *** and record it for the forum to watch in the O/T section you ****in tough guy. that bull**** you talk to me doesnt intimidate me in the least. ive had a tougher childhood than most who post on these forums, so if you want to be the next unlucky diarhea mouth please be my guest. trust me talkin on the internet like that is easy, comin to my face and saying that **** will get you hauled off in a 2001 e.m.t.55 amg.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:23 PM
Banned

Smart Car
What is the big deal about 500-550 horses anyways? Anyone with base E500 can buy Kleemann SC and have those 550 horses today, why wait for anything? Unlike M3 engines NO kleemann engine blew up to date, so no problems there. The dude called sleestack has close to 500horses on his CLK430 today, was posting here about turning everybody into a dot in his rear view mirror months and months ago. Why wait another 1.5 years?
600lbs lighter than Peterbuilt? Sure. 600lbs lighter than E55? fagettaboutit. MAgnezium engine block? How much will the car cost?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leaked confirmation of upcoming M5