Sponsored by:

Front brake pads replacement under 30min

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Front brake pads replacement under 30min

Replacing just the front brake pads was a snap. It took less than 30 minutes. For anyone interested, below is the instructions.

Steps after pulling wheels:
1. Turn steering wheel all the way to the right (to replace driver side)
2. Turn power to car completely off (for keyless, cycle through a couple of times) I left my trunk open at all times and actually left my key someone far and safe
3. (Optional) pull negative to battery (I didn't do this and didn't want to do it)
4. Pull SBC connector off (behind passenger head lights) (by pulling up on the locking mechanism, the connector should just slide out, very simple and you will hear the pressure relieving)
5. Pull brake sensor connector, and using a #8 socket, remove sensor-mounting bracket
6. Use a hammer to lightly tap the two pins out
7. Use a wire cutter to grab hold of the pin’s heads (use the hammer to tap the cutter holding the pin out)
8. The two brackets will come right off and expose the four brake pads
9. Use a wedge or screwdriver to push back the calipers with the old pads to make room for the thicker new pads
10. Remove the old pads and install the new pads with the new brake sensor. You can use the cutter instead of your fingers
11. Replace in reverse order back to step 1
12. Repeat on passenger side starting at step 1 but turn wheel to the left

This is extremely easy, probably the easiest to do in any car. I don't see how you would lose a finger unless you stick your fingers between the calipers and rotors and have someone reinstalled the SBC connector, power on the car, and pump the brakes.

After replacing just the pads and not the rotors, the brakes work very well, no warning, no sounds, and no sponginess. I would NOT recommend other to not replace the rotors unless you understand and know what you are doing. The rotors we have are very big and very thick. For me, I see no problem in reusing my rotors. I will replace them the next time I change the pads though. If my rotors were cracking through or very uneven, I would have replaced them. This means I can swap in same PF1 pads at the racetrack.

Disclaimer - Do this at your own risk. I take no responsibility to any actions coming from this thread.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:36 PM

E55
rflow306 (Albert) has some good pictures and instructions as well.

Cheers
--Hugh
Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Wishing 4 W211
I'm planning on tackling this job. i did a bunch of brake jobs before. my question is the SBC connector is located on the ABS module?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E55
What is the SBC connector stand for? Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
Originally Posted by bmdavid79
What is the SBC connector stand for? Thanks

if u must ask, perhaps you should let your shop do the job. imo
Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by tigerlam92
Disclaimer - Do this at your own risk. I take no responsibility to any actions coming from this thread.
It is really sad that you have to put a disclaimer on everything these days
Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Nice!!! Good write up!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 PM

2005 E55 AMG
You forgot to check the rotors for minimum thickness and also to have them turned/ cut before installing the new pads.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Originally Posted by GRAFH
You forgot to check the rotors for minimum thickness and also to have them turned/ cut before installing the new pads.
I agree this is the best way, but a dealer slapped new pads on my car when I bought it without cutting the rotors. They were fine on my inspection other than a small lip along the outside but well within thickness spec and smooth so I was ok with it. If you wanha get fancy throw a dial indicator on it and give it a spin and check for runout. I don't like cutting my rotors unless its needed as it just takes away more metal and they heat up and fade out faster. More metal the better.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Originally Posted by tigerlam92
This is extremely easy, probably the easiest to do in any car
Except a 63 with no SBC
Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Thats one thing that Mercedes got right!! Easy DIY brake pad replacements. Did my friend's CLK320 and was lightning fast as well. Knock out the pins for the rears and replace pads. Fronts, had to use a torx to undo the brake sensor and hex bolt to remove a bracket holding caliper to rotor.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Just because the dealer did it doesn't mean it's right. This can cause uneven pad wear.

Originally Posted by BBBSS
I agree this is the best way, but a dealer slapped new pads on my car when I bought it without cutting the rotors. They were fine on my inspection other than a small lip along the outside but well within thickness spec and smooth so I was ok with it. If you wanha get fancy throw a dial indicator on it and give it a spin and check for runout. I don't like cutting my rotors unless its needed as it just takes away more metal and they heat up and fade out faster. More metal the better.