Sponsored by:

E55 Owners who got the Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
E55 Owners who got the Extended Warranty

Couple hours i just found out that the dealer wants to do a inspection of the car before authorizing the extended warranty on my car. So my question is has any owners who got this extended warranty go through an inspection....if so what did they inspect. Kind of worried that i have K2 with no cats.

Roy
Old 04-13-2007, 09:00 AM

2005 E55, 1959 220s Cabriolet, some other stuff too...
Yeah, good luck with that one!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
Good question! I have been wondering about extended warranties on Modded cars. I was thinking of getting stage 1, but I couldn't find any good info. on the topic. Please let us know how it goes with the inspector. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:53 AM

'88 Porsche 951 / FJ Cruiser
Good luck on that....remind me to get the extended warranty on the one I buy BEFORE I start modding!!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:47 AM

2013 CLS63 2004 S55
Yes, I passed Beverly Hills inspection

for my 2003 E55 when considering extended warranties. I think they just did a quick general inspection(same day, BUSY shop) for pre-existing conditions. Kind of like a used car pre-inspection. It did not have any mods at the time. After shopping (MB dealer offered(aftermarket)) warranties down to $3900, I decided to lease an 06, so I did not purchase warranty.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
From what I understanf the CPO process has a pretty long checklist. Things that are wrong have to be fixed before it can get CPO'd. At least thats what I am told.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:13 PM

2012 JDM
From what I understanf the CPO process has a pretty long checklist. Things that are wrong have to be fixed before it can get CPO'd. At least thats what I am told.
I'm sure this is true. An Extended Warranty is not exactly like CPO though. So maybe the inspection is different. Probably depends on who is doing the inspection and how close they look, etc.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
When I bought my car, it was a CPO, and I added an extra year of extended warranty. When I picked up the car, I asked for the CPO inpection checklist, and I don't whether the sales guy was supposed to give it to me or not, but he did.

The inspection checklist is very comprehensive. If they miss your car's absent cats, it's because the tech doing the inspection is either an idiot or doesn't care.

The real issue is that you're paying for the warranty, so it's a sale for them, and they will be able to submit MB a bill in the future for repairs, so they really have little incentive NOT to warrant it for you. Let us know how it turns out. And BTW, you'll be very glad to have the warranty if you plan on keeping your car for awhile.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:43 PM

2012 JDM
and they will be able to submit MB a bill in the future for repairs, so they really have little incentive NOT to warrant it for you.
Maybe I am completely misunderstanding you here, but I believe MB will be submitting a bill to the warranty company, not the other way around like you said.

The warranty Company's "incentive" not to warrant the car would be if they think the Mods will cause more repairs to be needed than normal thus costing them more money. The Extended Warranty Company is taking a (calculated) risk. They are betting that the value of money you pay them today to purchase the warranty has a greater "Present Value" than the warranty repairs will amount to in the future. Mods to the car throw another variable into the equation. This could cause them to deny to sell you an extended warranty today or to deny covering a "claim" in the future (that might have come about because of the Mods).
Old 04-13-2007, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by LazyE55
Couple hours i just found out that the dealer wants to do a inspection of the car before authorizing the extended warranty on my car. So my question is has any owners who got this extended warranty go through an inspection....if so what did they inspect. Kind of worried that i have K2 with no cats.

Roy
I purchased an extended warranty on my prior E55 (W210) and the inspection guy did not notice anything. He just showed up, took pics and that was it.