W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bottom line...Dry Ice on top of Supercharger. Yes or No??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Bottom line...Dry Ice on top of Supercharger. Yes or No??

Thinking of putting dry ice inside the Racing Cooler.

Everyone talks of "cracking something". Is this really even a possibility??

I have searched and searched and people talk about it (dry ice on blower) , but couldn't find one where someone actually did it.

Just an idea.... Either way, I am gonna try these things with frozen gel packs, but had the idea of dry ice inside them.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 04-15-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
As long as the dry Ice is protected it will hold up well. It is of course difficult to handle and will melt rapidly. I would do a combo. A solid block of ice surrounded by a few chunks of dry works better for temp control. Ok my response to you is from years of experience working with Dry Ice in the Movie biz.. I have no clue about sitting it on the engine. I do know it lasts alot longer when it is combined with a block . It will also explode if the gasses are trapped so putting it in a little bag like pictured could be VERY DANGEROUS. We put it into cylinders and make bombs, I think you need a vented environ when exposing this to engine heat, so the gasses can escape. I know this likely did not help at all, Happy Sunday
Old 04-15-2007, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Putting dry ice on top of your super charger may shrink the top half of the housing (could crack), remember that the rotors in the supercharger have a close tolerance between the housing and rotor 3-4 thou. If the housing shrinks enough the rotor could rub housing. What you are really after is to cool the compressed air in the exhaust side (underneath) of the super charger, so it may be better to try and super cool your intercoolers radiator.
The trick set up would be to wire your circulation pump (johnson) to run on its own switched circuit, with switch under hood. Then fab up a means to hold regular ice on top of your intercoolers radiator, I might use a basket that is formed from expanded aluminum that sits on top of IC radiator holds like 5 lbs of regular ice. that way you can pre-chill the entire system with out fear of thermo shock or distorting blower housing. use the dry ice to keep your regular ice frozen, byproduct cold beer.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Why not just use regular ice?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yeah, probably will end up doing that. Just thought I could run it by you guys and see what you thought. In my mind, I am thinking "Aluminum will transfer the dry ice cold nicely straight down into that intercooler under the blower" , but wasn't even thinking about the shrinkage that would occur with that much cold on it. Perhaps this myth is BUSTED.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
I have often thought of making a basket of sort to put in front of the intake tubes so the air going into the intake would be cold but didnt know if it would work. This is where the pros need to chime in and tell us if all this work would really help out or not.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by juicee63
As long as the dry Ice is protected it will hold up well. It is of course difficult to handle and will melt rapidly. I would do a combo. A solid block of ice surrounded by a few chunks of dry works better for temp control. Ok my response to you is from years of experience working with Dry Ice in the Movie biz.. I have no clue about sitting it on the engine. I do know it lasts alot longer when it is combined with a block . It will also explode if the gasses are trapped so putting it in a little bag like pictured could be VERY DANGEROUS. We put it into cylinders and make bombs, I think you need a vented environ when exposing this to engine heat, so the gasses can escape. I know this likely did not help at all, Happy Sunday

Dry ice doesnt melt. It sublimates.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Putting dry ice on top of your super charger may shrink the top half of the housing (could crack), remember that the rotors in the supercharger have a close tolerance between the housing and rotor 3-4 thou. If the housing shrinks enough the rotor could rub housing. What you are really after is to cool the compressed air in the exhaust side (underneath) of the super charger, so it may be better to try and super cool your intercoolers radiator.
The trick set up would be to wire your circulation pump (johnson) to run on its own switched circuit, with switch under hood. Then fab up a means to hold regular ice on top of your intercoolers radiator, I might use a basket that is formed from expanded aluminum that sits on top of IC radiator holds like 5 lbs of regular ice. that way you can pre-chill the entire system with out fear of thermo shock or distorting blower housing. use the dry ice to keep your regular ice frozen, byproduct cold beer.

Why not setup a pre-cooler. That way the air coming into the intake is colder. I would probably start with thermal insulation of the intake tubes and then figure out a way to super-cool incoming air. A total loss evaporative heat exchange such as dry ice packing and anti-freeze cooling would work in my opinion.

Ice on metal is probably a bad idea.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
I would just use regular ice...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
I have made a fire-resistant pouch that takes gel inserts for that very reason.

It straps on with velcro to the top of the blower, so I can be left on during a run. I've even passed Tech with it.

Bottom line: Zilch.

On a boosted car, the diabatic heating from the mechanical compression of air rapidly overwhelms the (relatively) minor cooling benefits of the pouch.

On my previous car, it was worth a full tenth in the quarter, measurable and repeatable.

I've seen more effects by turning on the A/C to run the aux fans, lowering the water temp. This is just one indication of how marginal the cooling system can be in these cars.............
Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I have made a fire-resistant pouch that takes gel inserts for that very reason.

It straps on with velcro to the top of the blower, so I can be left on during a run. I've even passed Tech with it.

Bottom line: Zilch.

On a boosted car, the diabatic heating from the mechanical compression of air rapidly overwhelms the (relatively) minor cooling benefits of the pouch.

On my previous car, it was worth a full tenth in the quarter, measurable and repeatable.

I've seen more effects by turning on the A/C to run the aux fans, lowering the water temp. This is just one indication of how marginal the cooling system can be in these cars.............
Then let's just go with LOX injection see how many revolutions it takes before the crankshaft comes out of the exhaust.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Dry ice doesnt melt. It sublimates.

Sublimates rapido in heat. Great , thanks for the correction. Gosh I Love you guys
Old 04-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
When I went to the track a couple times, I would take a bag or two of ice and let it sit on top of the blower inbetween runs...seems to be fine...
Old 04-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
When I went to the track a couple times, I would take a bag or two of ice and let it sit on top of the blower inbetween runs...seems to be fine...
I did the same thing. Leave the intercooler pump on for even better cooling.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:02 PM

WS6 TA
Exclamation Dry Ice does not absorb heat

Hi Guys, This is Wendy from Racingcoolers, The Gels that come with my coolers are non toxic, non corrossive, and come out of the feezer below zero temp,They can be handled ,unlike dry ice. I spent alot of time testing these gels , and they work perfectly,20 degree temp drop in 10 min, last all day into the night when rotated properly. First I have to tell you that dry ice is not legal in all states for use, it conforms itself after ten minutes because of its chemical compounds it will throw heat off... But will NOT absorb it,Racingcoolers absorb heat, this is key in removing hot air from the plenum. Dry Ice will also have a much better chance for cracking the intake due to aluminum shock. Well here is my site and a good article to read would be the Hot Rod magazine tech test. WWW.Racingcolers.comThanks Wendy, owner, designer, Racingcoolers.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Racingcooler
after ten minutes because of its chemical compounds it will throw heat off....
So you're saying that solid carbon dioxide at negative 109 degrees will somehow suddenly heat up?

Physics class was not your friend.