W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Getting used to the power-Better take a closer look.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007 | 06:03 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Getting used to the power-Better take a closer look.

I've owned my car now for about a year and, while I'm still impressed with the power, I must admit that I am not quite as awe-struck when I romp on the gas pedal.

Well, Saturday, after washing the car, I opened the hood to wipe down the engine dust and give it a quick once over. I noticed that my S/C belt looked a little cracked. Upon closer inspection I noticed sizable chunks missing from the belt and some very bad looking cracks.

After contacting Renntech (another story altogether) I decided to purchase a replacement rather than waiting for one to be sent. With the new belt in place, I decided to put it to the test to make sure that there was no slippage issues (it's a Napa part replacement).

"Wow! Where has that been for the past several months!" I couldn't believe how responsive the car was and how hard it pulled all the way up. I took it out on the freeway and, as the AMG Gods would have it, came upon an open stretch of road with only a "crotch rocket" next to me. We gunned it and I walked him with ease. Now before the biker flames come out, it was windy and we were going slightly up hill, however, when I pulled off the freeway he acknowled with a friendly wave that the beast was truly impressive.

So...for $36 dollars, I would assume that I'll be making sure that S/C belt is in very new condition, even if it's every other month or so. I mean, that's only the cost of about 2/3's of a tank of gas.

Check those belts boys and girls. Don't let complacency rob you of that smile that only comes from depressing the E55 gas pedal.
Old 04-17-2007 | 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
I've just changed my belt too. Oh wait, it's the new belt comes with the EVO Sport pulley kit.
Old 04-17-2007 | 06:22 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
I've just changed my belt too. Oh wait, it's the new belt comes with the EVO Sport pulley kit.
Nice. I hope it's better quality than the Renntech belt I just took off..or should I say, nearly fell off.
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:12 PM

some nice cars ;)
U r so right! Before the klemann upgrades, at stock form i was having tons of fun with a cracked belt. At servicing the dealer changed the belt and man...the difference!!

Everyone should check them often, esp ppl living in the hotter climates.

-K
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Now we really gotta hit LVMS!!!!

You've got 11's guaranteed!!!

Keeping fingers crossed for next Weds.
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:28 PM

2005 E55
Which belt? (I'm not real familiar w/ our engine)
Is there only one S/C belt?
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It is the only belt that is around the SC. there are 2 on the crankshaft pulley. 1 runs the accessories and one runs the SC. For those that have larger pulleys, make sure you use a larger belt to compensate. Also, many of the belts have some grooving to them to avoid slippage.
Make sure everything is lined up properly and remember to check your under hood stuff with the engine RUNNING.
Enjoy!!

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2007 | 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Yep.....the one that drives the S/C is the one they refer to.
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:39 PM

2005 E55
Thanks. I haven't really examined my car under the hood yet. I will do that tomorrow!
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Talking

Originally Posted by Rudyrono
I've owned my car now for about a year and, while I'm still impressed with the power, I must admit that I am not quite as awe-struck when I romp on the gas pedal.

Well, Saturday, after washing the car, I opened the hood to wipe down the engine dust and give it a quick once over. I noticed that my S/C belt looked a little cracked. Upon closer inspection I noticed sizable chunks missing from the belt and some very bad looking cracks.

After contacting Renntech (another story altogether) I decided to purchase a replacement rather than waiting for one to be sent. With the new belt in place, I decided to put it to the test to make sure that there was no slippage issues (it's a Napa part replacement).

"Wow! Where has that been for the past several months!" I couldn't believe how responsive the car was and how hard it pulled all the way up. I took it out on the freeway and, as the AMG Gods would have it, came upon an open stretch of road with only a "crotch rocket" next to me. We gunned it and I walked him with ease. Now before the biker flames come out, it was windy and we were going slightly up hill, however, when I pulled off the freeway he acknowled with a friendly wave that the beast was truly impressive.

So...for $36 dollars, I would assume that I'll be making sure that S/C belt is in very new condition, even if it's every other month or so. I mean, that's only the cost of about 2/3's of a tank of gas.

Check those belts boys and girls. Don't let complacency rob you of that smile that only comes from depressing the E55 gas pedal.

Rudy, glad you caught that early. Have fun now !!!
Old 04-17-2007 | 09:39 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town
Which belt? (I'm not real familiar w/ our engine)
Is there only one S/C belt?
The Napa replacement belt part number is 080510. It seems to fit perfectly. Like I said, for $36 I wouldn't mind replacing it every couple of months.

Thanks Adam for taking the time to talk to me about this. I'm not sure you get the credit you deserve on this forum for all of the behind scenes things you do for people who haven't spent a penny with you. I promise that when I do, it will be through your shop.
Old 04-17-2007 | 09:40 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Now we really gotta hit LVMS!!!!

You've got 11's guaranteed!!!

Keeping fingers crossed for next Weds.
I'll have to check to see when the next date is...unless you've already done that.
Old 04-17-2007 | 11:01 PM

2005 E55
Why not just have the dealer do it under warranty? (like when you're getting another service I mean)
Old 04-17-2007 | 11:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Rudyrono
The Napa replacement belt part number is 080510. It seems to fit perfectly. Like I said, for $36 I wouldn't mind replacing it every couple of months.

Thanks Adam for taking the time to talk to me about this. I'm not sure you get the credit you deserve on this forum for all of the behind scenes things you do for people who haven't spent a penny with you. I promise that when I do, it will be through your shop.
Adam is a great resource. He also doesn't get the credit for dealing with RT's issues. He was the only one asking me to calm down and think objectively when my car was down and I have never spent a penny with him. Customer service drives a lasting business and Adam has that down.
Old 04-17-2007 | 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Why not just have the dealer do it under warranty?
He's got the Renntech Stage 5 so the stealer wouldn't know which belt to use. Stock one is too small now.
Old 04-17-2007 | 11:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
The stock belt will fit, but i don't know how well it would last. The larger belt is about 1/2 inch longer.
Old 04-18-2007 | 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Rudy, Jangy

Thank you for the kind words, the EuroElites team is focus on helping our clients and it is also you guys that inspire us to be better tuners.

PS: Jangy, tell me about it..

Last edited by AdamG@NorCal; 04-18-2007 at 05:15 PM.