W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Air Ride Sensor arm installation:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
McLaren 12C Spider | Lamborghini Superleggera | Porsche 997.2 TT | Cayenne TT | AMG GTS

Vendor: http://adjustableairride.com/

So the fronts are pretty simple I used a low rise lift but if you jack the front end up then you can get to the arms from the top. They are towards the front bumper next to the top of the strut. The lever with the ball joint is plastic so be very careful I used two thick flat head screwdrivers to pop the arms off the ball. once you get one end off the other end comes off much easier by twisting while pulling out. You will want to buy a digital caliper Harbor Freight or Checker has them for $10-20 This way you get a precise measure. John sends them out basically at the stock height. By moving the locking nut or bushing head (depending on front or rear) you can set the height and then move the nut or head up and down. I went with 4mm for my drop 8mm was WAYYYY to much. The fronts took about 5-10 minutes. The rear is tricky. You can find the arm above the rear differential access it from the drivers side. Remove the arm joint that is closest to the front bumper. You will use a long flat head screwdriver (or 2) to reach it. It takes a little finesse but it pops off just like the front. The rear section of the arm is connected to a plastic arm attached to the sensor. Remove the two silver (10mm on a ratchet w/extension) nuts that are 3" or so apart from each other and slide the sensor up and out. Use a flat head or long needle nose pliers to pop the arm off. The sensor should be hanging down under the bracket it was connected to when removing the arm. Take the arm out and lower the arm 4mm or desired length using the caliper (Front arms lower=longer Rear arms lower= Shorter) using two 10mm wrenches lock the nut and bushing head in place. Now re-attach the arm to the rear sensor arm. Put the sensor arm back into place dropping the two studs into the holes. Screw the two 10mm nuts back on. Next tool you will want to have is one of those long grabber tools they sell at checker, sears, harbor freight. Hold the arm with the grabber tool by the nut. placing the head on top of the ball joint use a pair of curved long Needle nose pliers to pop the bushing over the ball joint. You need the curved needle nose a screw driver does not have the right angle. (Also I used silicone spray to lube up the ball joint and bushing) After doing the install the 2nd time it took me 20 minutes to do the front and rear. All and all this is a very easy DIY install.

Tools:

10mm Socket
Ratchet & long extension
2 10 mm wrenches
2 flat head screw drivers (longer in size)
Curved long Needles nose pliars
Grabber Tool
Digital Caliper
Silicone spray
Floor jack or lift

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47257

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94162

Old 04-28-2007, 04:41 PM

McLaren 12C Spider | Lamborghini Superleggera | Porsche 997.2 TT | Cayenne TT | AMG GTS
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Old 04-28-2007, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Looks great! I have the same kit in my car, rear was a real PITA!!
Old 04-28-2007, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Looks great!!! Wish I would have gone that route and saved $1,000
Old 04-28-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
I'm considering to put my car lower (it's stock now ) but don't know about star dialogtic or adjustable lower kit which one are better , beside do you have to do aligment after low your car ?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Great write-up and thanks for the photos.
Looks great.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:24 PM

Mercedes-Benz
Thanks for the write up and pics. I forget at what speeds and by how much our cars automatically lower.. My question is, does the car get even lower when that takes effect?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
So what is the consensus, Renntech ELM or adjustable ride links or star?
I realize there is a considerable difference in price between the options that will influence the decision.
I believe the airmatic automatically lowers at 70mph?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:15 PM

I am going to get an alignment just to be safe. Car pulled a little to the right before the install. I am not sure what harm the drops do to the system but they have to be doing the same thing by fooling the sensor or telling it to go lower. Right? For $225 I can't see how the electronic module could be better unless you need to adjust the heights regularly, even then it means splice into a dozen wires.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Pictures!!