W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

••• Project Stock to Awe •••

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I think they lowered the blower... looks lower to me unless its just the I/C's that make it look lower.... if the blower is lower the I/C's will be too no?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Finny, very well done!!!

On the belt tensioner, you might find that you will need to let it have some stretch room.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by vrus
LOL.. Shhhh.. Don't disturb him.. He is hard at work... He is probably preparing himself for the sacrificial carving of the SLR coolers.. I am sure he is getting himself good and drunk so he wont remember what he did the next morning.

Seriously though.. On the Bin Sulayem car, they cut out the cross-bracing on the hood, removed the liner, and POSSIBLY lowered the motor.. NOT SURE about that last bit.. I've stared and stared at that picture trying to compare against an E55 but I'm just not sure ..

We'll soon know for sure... Hang on to your hats.. Its going to get interesting...
This is all too exciting! even for a non-E55k owner, What do you figure final rwhp rwto will be after all this work to Finny's E55k? Also do you have anymore of those high flow foam airfilters? I could possibly mod (1) to fit the Vette
Old 06-16-2007, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Finny
Thanks man!

This is optional for those who wish to use the stock bottle neck intercooler core setup.

The SLR units will cure bottle neck cooler bronchitis.

Not to wild, I like the stock neat practical look. The quite achiever method. If the law looks in there, nothing looks radically altered, you know like the 722.
Great work man! verrrryyy impressive
Old 06-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Forgot to mention 1 main detail on the belt wrap kit... The belt wrap area is increased from the stock 50% to approx 85%.. On a stock setup the belt goes around the S/C pulley and drops vertically on both sides providing approx 45% - 50% contact depending on oscillation..

If you look at the new setup, the belt comes around the bottom of the S/C pulley and then hooked around the idler.. The contact area is roughly 85%... That's a significant difference in contact patch.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
When I this kit will be ready and when some testing would be done ???

May be I should get it along with all other things ....
Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up Small update...

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Finny
Victor posted pics of the sacrificial SLR coolers, and a W211 with a SLR engine. The gold W211 looks like only a small mod to the hood was necessary to clear the SLR coolers. As I recall you had a dual I/C pump set up will you keep that or will we see an engine driven I/C chiller box pump? I am sure you will once again raise the bar to overkill
I'm going to add a third booster pump on the water out circuit to compensate for the extra hose going to the trunk where there will be quick release fittings for a dry ice chiller which will be used at the track. When I'm finished using it I'll just remove the box and hook up a patch hose where the chiller was hooked up.

I'm not trying to go over kill or I would of gone for the TT set up... Maybe next... Ha Ha..

Originally Posted by vrus
Seriously though.. On the Bin Sulayem car, they cut out the cross-bracing on the hood, removed the liner, and POSSIBLY lowered the motor.. NOT SURE about that last bit.. I've stared and stared at that picture trying to compare against an E55 but I'm just not sure ..

We'll soon know for sure... Hang on to your hats.. Its going to get interesting...
Sorry to disappoint but there was no engine mount lowering or S/C chopping, there is approximately 40mm on left & right excess cooler... so I'm going to remove some of the inlet section just like the gold 211. You will see where the front mounting brackets have been cut in half and a cheep touch up paint job which is blacker than the stock puff paint. You wont notice the difference when I'm finished chop chopping...

Originally Posted by Vadim - SoCal
On the belt tensioner, you might find that you will need to let it have some stretch room.
Good point! I'm waiting on a 10mm shorter belt which will allow for the stretch without decreasing tension. Gates claim their new range of belts have minimal stretch compared to the old stock versions which is further insurance for us. Remember that the stock tensioner still operates dynamically and we are just helping it cope with the larger pulley.

Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
When I this kit will be ready and when some testing would be done ???.
The testing has been done and it works! I ran it on my car for a few months with no problems. What you see is what you get, a no brainer...

I'm sure Victor will put it through it's paces and write a comprehensive report.

At the moment I'm still waiting on the correct size belts to turn up so the bill of materials can be calculated then it's off to Victor for further testing and distribution.

Here's a few more photos of some progress and some other bits...

Enjoy!

-55chiller647.jpg

See that stupid grin on my face... It wouldn't go away for two days.

-e55pulliesetupmods.jpg

Here is the comparison between the two setups... There is probably more contact area now than shown here, but do you get what I mean...

-55chiller653.jpg

This oil filler extension had to be removed because it hit one of the cooling lines.

-55chiller654.jpg

I chopped off this cast mount which held one part of the stock air filter box.

-55chiller649.jpg

Check the condition of the right mount??? I was driving around with this for ages... Brand new on the left. They are hidden by a rubber skirt so make sure you look under their occasionally !!!

-55chiller650.jpg

New top...

-55chiller651.jpg

Shame MB Shame!!!

-55chiller652.jpg

The chillers are just sitting there so I can take a few measurements to do some creative plumbing. They look kind of cool don't they!

-55chiller648.jpg

Up the bum. A few mods needed here so I can shoe horn the mill in...

-55chiller655.jpg

The wheel from Ebay turned up... Now i have to work out how to fit it as the electronics on the 03 are primitive in todays standards... dam... This is a really cool wheel though!

More later!

Last edited by Finny; 06-18-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Out Of Control!

Best money shot ever!! Looks pretty amazing Finny! What do you estimate rwhp/crank hp would be once all said and done?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
love to see a picture of the throttle body linked to slr coolers whenyou get more along.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
Pleeeeeeeeeeease make the steering wheel work!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Those cooler looks awesome...Hope they work good...

Finny...what do this anti-slipping belt set up gives US ???

Less belt slipping, more power at higher RPMS ???

How much more ???

Did you do any dyno prior and after this mod ???

Can you give ME an e-bay link for this steering wheel looks good ???
Old 06-19-2007, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
40 mm

Hi Finny,

So 40mm too high? I am sure you have an ingenious idea to resolve it.
Mounts mounts and more mounts you are sure hard on them. You may want to consider a check strap to keep your engine in the car . As all ways keep up the great work.

BTW, love that wheel.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The rear shot has the SLR I/C inlets extending some ways behind the motor ... guess this is where some creative plmbing will need to happen ... or is there enuf clearance for the SLR I/C's ? Also any clue whats diff on the 722 SLR coolers than the original SLR coolers?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430

No officer that's not an SLR intercooler, and Yes, I am just happy to see you!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
WARNING!!!!! The following post contains content which may not be suitable for all viewers. If the site of blood bothers you, I suggest you turn back now because this will definitely not sit well with you.

Viewer discretion is advised!!!!

In case you guys thought we were kidding when we said they were going to be hacked open so we could take a look inside...

Here we see the patient strapped down on the O.R. table awaiting surgery...

Last chance to turn back before the gore...

Here we see the patient with the dismembered appendage...

Here we see the patient bolted back into its carriage minus the amputated limb...

This is footage most would probably never get a chance to see... The main reason being that these puppies are to the tune of $16,000 worth of parts!!

Everyone will have front row seats as the birth of new SLR style intercoolers is born..

More to come...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Its an optical illusion.. There is plenty of space back there... Well.. I am pretty sure there is anyways.. LOL..

Finny will take the final measurements once we've got the S/C discharge tubes going to the intercooler mounted.

The SLR 722 intercoolers were revised for increased efficiency.. that's all we know. You know what MB is like.. Exact changes are difficult to confirm.. That is unless someone wants to order regular SLR intercoolers that we can hack open and compare against... LOL.

Originally Posted by stevebez
The rear shot has the SLR I/C inlets extending some ways behind the motor ... guess this is where some creative plmbing will need to happen ... or is there enuf clearance for the SLR I/C's ? Also any clue whats diff on the 722 SLR coolers than the original SLR coolers?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55

Check the condition of the right mount??? I was driving around with this for ages... Brand new on the left. They are hidden by a rubber skirt so make sure you look under their occasionally !!!

People need to listen up on this one.I just had one fixed on my car lst week.I broke it at the track on stock tires of all things.

One quick way to tell if you have a broken one is to when taking off froma stop,put it in Sport mode and wack the throttle very quickly.You will hear a click under the rear of the car,mine was very noticable.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmm couple of things!!!

That SLR I/C capacity is probably around 4 times that of an OEM unit I would guess, also the depth of the I/C is shorter vs OEM so boost drop off should be much better too ......

and ...

Where did you find those headers!!!!!!!! Niiiice. Are they OEM swap or is a chop-chop required? More info pleeeeze.

Last edited by stevebez; 06-22-2007 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430

I don't know if my post will be of much help or not.

Engine mount failures are very common in the Turbo Dodge world. One fix they have found is to fill any voids, gaps, or holes in their engine mounts with urethane that is normally used for gluing in windshields. It stiffens them up while still allowing the flex that is needed. I'm not sure if this mod will work for the MB style of mounts but it might be worth exploring.

Last edited by suicidal4life; 06-22-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:05 AM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Its frightening how ADDICTED I am to this thread - I cannot leave it alone for more than a day - no matter where I am traveling its the first thing I check up on when I get to my hotel room and connect to the internet - Project Stock to Awe is my first destination!!!!!!!!!

Finny and Vrus - thanks for your exceptional contributions to this board, but also for the way in which you so generously share your trials and tribulations ...... all of us mere mortls here are so much wiser about our cars because of your exploits.

Would absolutely love to sit down with you guys someday and shoot the breeze - drinks are on me!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
i agree this is addicting. with all the time and money you could almost get a new slr. but this is fun. i will wait for more pictures to help explain the air flow thru the coolers but is am lost as to where the air flow goes. keep up the interesting pictures and info.
Attached Thumbnails -slr-engine09.jpg  
Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Siswati,

Sounds good to me!! Finny was planning a trip up to Canuck land in the near future.. Wanna come up?

Whether you know it or not, YOU contributed to this quite a bit also.. Those beautiful pics you sent us of that SLR engine from the AMG challenge really answered alot of questions in my mind and for Finny also I am sure.

Originally Posted by siswati
Its frightening how ADDICTED I am to this thread - I cannot leave it alone for more than a day - no matter where I am traveling its the first thing I check up on when I get to my hotel room and connect to the internet - Project Stock to Awe is my first destination!!!!!!!!!

Finny and Vrus - thanks for your exceptional contributions to this board, but also for the way in which you so generously share your trials and tribulations ...... all of us mere mortls here are so much wiser about our cars because of your exploits.

Would absolutely love to sit down with you guys someday and shoot the breeze - drinks are on me!
LOL.. You dont know the half of it.. Finny & I spent quite a few emails going back and forth deciding if we should just buy the whole SLR crate motor...

So, like I always do, I say what the heck and ask for a quote...

They don’t offer a crate motor in inventory for the 722, so we only get the regular SLR motor... U ready?? $191,000 LIST!!!!! BUT.. They said they will give me 20% off on that price... HAHAHAH.. So I asked Finny if we should order 2 of them that way we can have spares?? hahahahaha.. I cant post what Finny's response was, but, needless to say, I never ordered them...

As for the routing of the plumbing.. What you dont see in the pics yet is the DISCHARGE pipes going from the bottom of the S/C out to the back to join up with the intercooler inlet pipes..

Below is a photo courtesy of our friend Siswati above.. He took these pics for me at the AMG challenge..

Originally Posted by theboogers
i agree this is addicting. with all the time and money you could almost get a new slr. but this is fun. i will wait for more pictures to help explain the air flow thru the coolers but is am lost as to where the air flow goes. keep up the interesting pictures and info.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where the air filters? are they in that funny looking nose section? and what is inside that red housing roughly where our S/C's are - looks like it can open up ?

Last edited by stevebez; 06-22-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
AIR FILTER.. not filters.. I believe there is only 1 under the cover.. It sits under the RED cover.. The piece at the front is shaped like that to create a large volume chamber for air to enter before it funnels back down to go to the filter.

Originally Posted by stevebez
Where the air filters? are they in that funny looking nose section? and what is inside that red housing roughly where our S/C's are - looks like it can open up?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Left field shot - but could our surge tanks not be replaced with a higher volume I/C? Something along the lines of those cylindrical units posted earlier?

Just throwing it out there in case it trips a wire...

Edit:- One problem / isseu just realised is IAT's are measured before surge tanks... Hmmm this will be the case too with SLR's no? What does Renntech do there with their I.C unit?

Last edited by stevebez; 06-22-2007 at 12:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ••• Project Stock to Awe •••