W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Evo sport disc and pad up grade track report

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2007 | 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Thumbs up Evo sport disc and pad up grade track report

Well Tuesday i had a epic track day with my big heavy E55. last time out i was on stock tires and brakes, and thoughs of you who know they both suck!

After upgrading to the ps2's and evo sport disc and pagid pads, i was really anxious to get out on the track to see the difference. the Ps2's on the st are like night and day compared to the contis but the track is a different beast and yes they worked excellent, to say the least. now to the brakes, After passing lambo's M5's, M3's,gt3's, turbo p's etc etc The brakes worked so good i had to post about them. They not only stopped the big boat better i was so confident in them i was out braking just about everyone on the track except a few race cars.(now most of this is from the skills i have of running it in deep ) but if you don't have the confidence in your equipement you can't do it. and yes after 5-6 laps in the advanced group They DID NOT FADE! Yes the brakes are hot warning came on every time out, but of course I don't give a F about that warning, i think unless you put air directly on the disc you'll get that every time out.

Now most of you are thinking "were's some pics or better yet video of this epic track day??" ITS COMMING SOON!!
Old 05-10-2007 | 03:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Nice going!

Any part #'s on the Pagids?
Thx.
Old 05-10-2007 | 04:40 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Congrat! Can't wait to see the video. Have you changed your brake fluid to a high temp racing fluid. What about steel brake lines? Every little bit helps.
Old 05-10-2007 | 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

YEA good question I need new pads after all that!! Vadim? prt# or anyone?
Old 05-10-2007 | 04:53 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

Drives Slowly
Nice to see our money was well spent on the Evo Rotors!! Did you get the cross-drilled ones?
Old 05-10-2007 | 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cross-drilled ones?
yes.
Old 05-10-2007 | 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by BMWEATR
the Ps2's on the st are like night and day compared to the contis but the track is a different beast and yes they worked excellent,epic track day??"
Excellent write up, thanks! Now order another set of front PS2's for the street and R-compounds for the circuit, because once you've pushed
PS2's around the circuit for a day, they are truly fried around the outside edges
The reason your "brakes overheat" light cames up so soon every time is because your tires are not up to it. After overtaking everybody down the straight bits, you are forced to brake late to slow right down before every corner more than necessary or you would have slid right off the track.

If you use R compound tires around the circuit you will cut the brake use by 70%. It is a real shock to a Porsche driver on street tires when you stay on his tail around the apex only to blow him away on exit
Good to see another E55 driver who is prepared to take his car on the circuit track rather then just go drag racing in a straight line.. yaaaawn...zzzzz.
Old 05-10-2007 | 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
The pagid pads, are they noisy? Dusty?
Old 05-10-2007 | 08:52 PM

E55
Originally Posted by dsc
Congrat! Can't wait to see the video. Have you changed your brake fluid to a high temp racing fluid. What about steel brake lines? Every little bit helps.

+1 at least for the brake fluid.

Very cool!! Must have been a blast.
Old 05-10-2007 | 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Look foward to the vids!!!
Old 05-11-2007 | 11:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Rafal
If you use R compound tires around the circuit you will cut the brake use by 70%........
It has been my experience that R-comps increase brake wear.

Increasing mechanical grip through traction increases stress on the suspension as well.
Old 05-11-2007 | 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

because once you've pushed
PS2's around the circuit for a day, they are truly fried around the outside edges
You nailed that one on the head, they are wasted! they almost look like my stickies on my shifter kart when they roll up on the edges. I tried to get some hoosiers but waited to long. was having a tough time finding a tire that would fit stock wheel? only hoosiers would come close enough.

I'm working on the edit on the video I'll get it asap,
Old 05-11-2007 | 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I am PSYCHED for this video.
Old 05-11-2007 | 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
It has been my experience that R-comps increase brake wear.

Increasing mechanical grip through traction increases stress on the suspension as well.
No argument there but we are not talking full slicks and 4 G's of grip here, just street legal, tarmac rally R-compounds, such as Dunlop DZ O2G, Pirelli Corsa or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup for instance. Apart from better grip due to their stickier compound, they withstand the heat cycles better than street tires and dont fall apart after two laps.

As far as brakes are concerned, I disagree. You need to use brakes far less since you can hold more speed into corners. With street tires you go flat out down the straight only to jump on the brakes before every turn, otherwise you just plow into the paddocks.
Attached Thumbnails Evo sport disc and pad up grade track report-dunlop-dz02g-1.jpg  

Last edited by Rafal; 05-11-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

tires and dont fall apart after two laps.
Actually the ps2's did alot better than i thought they would. I have some experience with stickies on other cars so yes i do know the diference but they did pretty good, I wish i had some dunlops like yours though! I probrably would of whaded it up thinking i could drive it like my shifter.

You need to use brakes far less since you can hold more speed into corners
very true, when you have better grip
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
As far as brakes are concerned, I disagree. You need to use brakes far less since you can hold more speed into corners....
Which leads to higher entry speeds, requiring more braking, etc.....

With the greater available grip, the r-comps allow for much greater braking forces to be exerted before lockup (or ABS threshold)

Measured on a G-meter, It was the difference between just over 1.0G on street tires, to 1.18 to 1.2 G on r-comps.

For my brakes, it was the difference between 4 sessions before the pads were toast (street tires) and 3 sessions on the r-comps.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:25 AM

CLS55

With the greater available grip, the r-comps allow for much greater braking forces to be exerted before lockup (or ABS threshold)

Measured on a G-meter, It was the difference between just over 1.0G on street tires, to 1.18 to 1.2 G on r-comps.

For my brakes, it was the difference between 4 sessions before the pads were toast (street tires) and 3 sessions on the r-comps.

Your mileage may vary.
i thought it was already established here that the brake warning is not a function of temperature, but a mathematical function of brake applications and pressure. you can change them to whatever you want and the warning will come on at the same time..... no?
Old 05-12-2007 | 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, but that does not make sense!
Higher entry speed requires less braking, not more!
If you are going at 140mph on stock Contis and you have to brake to 100mph to enter the turn you need to stomp on the brakes all the way to ABS in the last 200m, or you will hit the tire wall 300m away.
If you are on semi slick R-compounds, which allow you to go through the same turn at 120mph, you just tap the brakes gently and you quickly lose the excess 20mph.
The difference over 12 turns/ lap times 8 laps is huge. After overtaking all 15 cars in the group, my "brakes overheated" light hardly ever comes on and then its in the pits.

Check out this video to see the difference between our "German Taxi" on semi slicks compared to sports cars on street tires

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=E...reek-Australia

Last edited by Rafal; 05-12-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2007 | 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dogshine
i thought it was already established here that the brake warning is not a function of temperature, but a mathematical function of brake applications and pressure. you can change them to whatever you want and the warning will come on at the same time..... no?
If that is the case, why does the warning message "brakes overheated" come on rather than "brakes over-algorithmed" LOL?

If indeed, it calculates the number of applications times the pressure applied to the brake pedal, you will apply less pressure, less often and the warning light will not come on at the same time as on street tires.

Last edited by Rafal; 05-12-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2007 | 01:21 AM

CLS55
If that is the case, why does the warning message "brakes overheated" come on rather than "brakes over-algorithmed" LOL?

If indeed, it calculates the number of applications times the pressure applied to the brake pedal, you will apply less pressure, less often and the warning light will not come on at the same time as on street tires.
maybe. hard to tell what its judging.
Old 05-13-2007 | 10:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Check out this video to see the difference between our "German Taxi" on semi slicks compared to sports cars on street tires

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=E...reek-Australia
I'm not debating whether r-comps make you faster around the track or not - they do.

Can we agree that you can brake harder (ultimate g-forces) with r-comps?

Can we agree that harder braking uses pads faster than softer braking?

I don't see the issue?

Perhaps if you wanted to put down identical lap times to those on street tires you would use less brakes, but I use the additional available grip to go faster, brake later (and deeper), and turn shorter lap times.

FWIW, the brake light is mathematical calculation, not some temp sensor output.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Old 05-13-2007 | 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not debating whether r-comps make you faster around the track or not - they do.

Can we agree that you can brake harder (ultimate g-forces) with r-comps?

Can we agree that harder braking uses pads faster than softer braking?

I don't see the issue?

Perhaps if you wanted to put down identical lap times to those on street tires you would use less brakes, but I use the additional available grip to go faster, brake later (and deeper), and turn shorter lap times.

As always, your mileage may vary.
The point I am making is that we go faster and brake less on R compounds. My lap times have improved and instead of everybody, including VW Golfs and M3's sitting on my tail for 8 laps I overtake Porsches TT without the light coming on till the very last lap.
I guess if I pushed the car to the absolute limit I would end up with no benefit to the brake use.
Old 05-13-2007 | 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no its temp.

You sure? why a math calculation? I have never heard or read about this.

Last edited by BMWEATR; 05-13-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2007 | 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BMWEATR
no its temp.

You sure? why a math calculation? I have never heard or read about this.
I always assumed it was brake fluid temperature, which made the use of high boiling point race fluid all the more confusing. The warning light goes off prematurely as the sensors are calibrated for stock fluid only.
Old 05-14-2007 | 11:14 AM

CLS55
i've read in several places that its a function of a calculation. i guess some other posters here have also. changing fluid, rotors, etc won't change the warning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo sport disc and pad up grade track report