W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May pick up a RS4 today. Opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock
While I love Porsche and the appreciate what great cars they are , I can't bring myself to purchase one because of the stereotype............guy in midlife crisis!!!!! Same goes for the Z06 except now my reason............ the gold chain thing. Yeah, I know I got some issues.
That I can totally understand. When I drive the GT3, I'm actually embarassed to drive her around town. It's only after I get in to the more rural areas or take her to the track that I can really relax and enjoy driving her. But with this 911 and the previous one I had, after 5-10k miles you totally "get it" and they are just absolutely sublime cars. Much more than you might realize from a test drive.

But the cool thing about Audis is the style. Very understated. Very high quality. As I'm writing this, my neighbor across the street is washing his RS4, and it really is a beautiful car. And the style/personality (quiet, understated) was the major "pro" in favor of the current A8 also when we were deciding on a luxury car last year.

So I totally understand that appeal of the Audis. To me their whole image is "educated, confident professional" versus, I'm sorry to say, a little different image of the typical Porsche owner (other than the track junkies, who are a different sort altogether)

And, hey, like I said, the RS4 is an extremely competent car. Enjoy it
Old 05-19-2007, 11:33 AM

Oh, I should also add that my wife refuses to ride in the GT3, other than a couple of times when we first got her. It's the whole image thing. So if your better half is anything like mine, that's another point for the Audi.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:53 PM

I'm a huge M3 fan. I've owned three including two E46 cars. The problem with that car is that it will not get to the states until next year and when it does I do not want the first year production. I know they will need to iron out at least a few kinks. Also, I live in a state that gets plenty of snow so driving a RS4 in the winter sounds more appealing than my current SUV.
the RS4's been out for awhile and they still havent ironed out the kinks.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Same goes for the Z06 except now my reason............ the gold chain thing. Yeah, I know I got some issues.
I dunno, it might be worth getting a gold chain for.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:06 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
While I love Porsche and the appreciate what great cars they are , I can't bring myself to purchase one because of the stereotype............guy in midlife crisis!!!!
I don't think the ever classic 911 would put you into that category...a C4/C4S would be an excellent choice for what you need.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by E60noless
the RS4's been out for awhile and they still havent ironed out the kinks.
Wow, I would have never expected a comment like that from one of our resident BMW homers.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by RJC
I don't think the ever classic 911 would put you into that category...a C4/C4S would be an excellent choice for what you need.
Sorry, I was not trying to insult you or any other 911 owners. I know they are tremendous cars and very desirable.

Many of my views are distorted due to years of personal and professional failure, substance abuse and only one friend................. who now states he never did like me.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Alpina B7
Sorry, I was not trying to insult you or any other 911 owners. I know they are tremendous cars and very desirable.

Many of my views are distorted due to years of personal and professional failure, substance abuse and only one friend................. who now states he never did like me.
Oh Rock, take it easy. Many of my relatives are the same way with their car stereotypes-Porsches are "butt-beaters" for the hardasses, Corvettes are for Elvis impersonators, etc. But whenever I finally get them into one, the stereotypes go flying out the window. I know you're set on the Audi, but a black or silver Z06 with some classy and understated wheels like BBS or HRE Competition Series in a non-chrome finish is a very mean looking (and fast as hell) car.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s

Rock
Welcome to midlife, at least you had one friend. My only comments are give the 997tt a try, equal time only. I am bias having had too many p cars.
I think the A4 is the same platform as Passat or am I wrong?
Old 05-19-2007, 06:50 PM

2003 E55
Well I just turned 43, lost 40 pounds, and bought an e55 for my midlife crisis!
Old 05-19-2007, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
damn, some of you guys live in weird places

i dont see anything wrong w/ driving my p, but then again im 24
Old 05-19-2007, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
btw,
i was gonna get an rs4 but the dealer didnt agree to my $. THATS THE ONLY REASON I DIDNT GET IT. im happy that it work out though cause i got a 997 s instead. the rs4 is an excellent car though
Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Im picking up a 2005 S4 Avant, 6mt tomorrow to replace my now sold E55 W210
Old 05-20-2007, 12:37 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
Originally Posted by Finnish C32
How about Nissan Maxima =]

bro 1st of all it's crashed so don't make fun of it lol , lol 2nd of all every1 knows maxima is a gangsta car lol just like c300 you can even make it sporty and you can put 22's on it if you want its much more comfortable inside than audi , much more space , and my maxima is 13 second not stock but w.e , and i always see nerds driving audis , but **** maxima i don't care im too young to have a better car because i got it with my own hands , i just hate audi personally becuase when people compare audi with benz it pisses me the **** off , and it cost 75 000 , wow who the **** they think they are ****ing VW , i give more respect to bmw because they deserve it , audi is gay for gay people , lol im just heated cuz i love benz and audi think they're the **** , ****kkkkkk that ,GO M POWER IN THE TWISTIES , just don't forget to put the sport mode on Lmao jp
Old 05-20-2007, 02:26 AM

W211 E55AMG
Originally Posted by MikeRPA
bro 1st of all it's crashed so don't make fun of it lol , lol 2nd of all every1 knows maxima is a gangsta car lol just like c300 you can even make it sporty and you can put 22's on it if you want its much more comfortable inside than audi , much more space , and my maxima is 13 second not stock but w.e , and i always see nerds driving audis , but **** maxima i don't care im too young to have a better car because i got it with my own hands , i just hate audi personally becuase when people compare audi with benz it pisses me the **** off , and it cost 75 000 , wow who the **** they think they are ****ing VW , i give more respect to bmw because they deserve it , audi is gay for gay people , lol im just heated cuz i love benz and audi think they're the **** , ****kkkkkk that ,GO M POWER IN THE TWISTIES , just don't forget to put the sport mode on Lmao jp

hmm. sounds pretty good mushrooms. could you send me some?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:37 AM

You have a 4-door sedan already, so why not get something you're really going to have fun in and use on weekend and track events? Some people suggested an S6, but that makes absolutely no sense because that car is a direct competitor to E55 and is pretty much the same thing with AWD and less power. If you thought an RS4 was fun, try driving a lotus elise or exige... and they are 30,000$ cheaper.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Finnish C32
hmm. sounds pretty good mushrooms. could you send me some?
lol sure
Old 05-20-2007, 04:08 AM

05 E55
I'm actually considering doing the Hennessey SRT600 add on to my Jeep. You may have a crappy dealer, but if you get over that and direct your money to a Hennessy SRT600 (even one on ebay for $79, but I know you can get it for $70k), it would be IMPOSSIBLE to beat the fun factor... even in our E55s.

Here's an excerpt from a car & driver review:

"But let’s talk quarter-mile times: The stock Jeep SRT8 is already the quickest SUV on the market, so it’s no wonder Hennessey’s box of fury destroys the Mercedes ML63 AMG and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S by at least a second. In fact, there’s not enough space here to list all the high-performing cars it humiliates, but here’s a glimpse: It’s quicker than every BMW M product as well as all Mercedes AMGs other than the 604-hp SL65. Bye-bye, Audi S6, Chevy Corvette, Porsche 911 S, and Lamborghini Gallardo. The 4831-pound Jeep is just a half-second slower than the two paragons of production-car performance, the 911 Turbo and the Corvette Z06."

By the way, that's in the quarter. Its actually faster than both 0-60... its SUV shape catches up to it at in the quarter!

Just a thought. I'll let you know when mine is done. 620hp, AWD, .90 skidpad, SUV utility. Now THAT's a fun addition to the sedan family.

Loren

Last edited by FlyByNight; 05-20-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:21 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts

Hey no offense taken
Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Get an Atom. The Brammo 245 does 0-60 in 2.8 sec and a very low 11 1/4 mile. If that's not enough there's always the 300. Silly fast. Cheaper than an RS4 and if you want handling there is only a very very small number than can top it. After my SLK55 wears thin thats what I'm going to get. They're actually quite easy to register in Texas to make street worthy.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Rock,

Perhaps I can weigh in since I seem to already be in a very similar position. I have an E55, I have a two door sports car (Z06) and I have a B7 S4 - which no, isn't an RS4, but they are very similar. I've also had an E46 M3. I think the RS4, if you are getting a good deal, is a great move. The E55 and the RS4 do not compare at all - the RS4 is nimble and very involving, but no nearly as brutal and dominating as the E55. When I go downtown and I have to scoot around, my S4 is just amazing because it is just so solid and with the AWD flooring it at 5mph doesn't involve any tiresmoke - it just goes and makes an exhaust note which is music to my ears. I find the car to just be fantastic and I think it does a great job bridging the gap between an E55 like car and a real sports car. In addition, it also has a number of unique characteristics that set it apart from the pack. You will find yourself using the car a lot because the surprising thing is that there are many instances when the RS4 is really the perfect car to use for what you need.

I say go for it. If you want to go into exhausting detail, please feel free to email me.

-m
Old 05-20-2007, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
It gets 11 miles per gallon. I am sure you have seen this article that really gives it an overall good review. Seems like it might be better to use the $$ and wait on the E63TT. But then who could wait???

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2545
Old 05-20-2007, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by MikeRPA
You sound like a complete moron,how old are you.....13?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jrocket
You sound like a complete moron,how old are you.....13?
Bro your a moron , and i'm just joking around , but to be serious i think audis are over priced , just my own oppinion , i just can't stand the fact that they price they're cars , almost same or even higher than Benz or a Beemer
Old 05-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Rock,

Perhaps I can weigh in since I seem to already be in a very similar position. I have an E55, I have a two door sports car (Z06) and I have a B7 S4 - which no, isn't an RS4, but they are very similar. I've also had an E46 M3. I think the RS4, if you are getting a good deal, is a great move. The E55 and the RS4 do not compare at all - the RS4 is nimble and very involving, but no nearly as brutal and dominating as the E55. When I go downtown and I have to scoot around, my S4 is just amazing because it is just so solid and with the AWD flooring it at 5mph doesn't involve any tiresmoke - it just goes and makes an exhaust note which is music to my ears. I find the car to just be fantastic and I think it does a great job bridging the gap between an E55 like car and a real sports car. In addition, it also has a number of unique characteristics that set it apart from the pack. You will find yourself using the car a lot because the surprising thing is that there are many instances when the RS4 is really the perfect car to use for what you need.

I say go for it. If you want to go into exhausting detail, please feel free to email me.

-m
Ahhhhh... Marcus, thanks for chiming in. I know you have a good perspective on my dilemma. My question for you is regarding the M3/S4,RS4 comparison.

I love my K3 E55 but I do miss the driving involvement that my E46 M3 offered. My impression of the RS4 is that it's a more refined and powerful M3. I did not really push the RS4 hard but I got the sense that this car is glued to the road when driven fast.

What advantage does the S4/RS4 have over the M3?

BTW- I cannot believe you got rid of the SL600.

bfn: The atom is a sweet ride but I think it is too hard core for my needs. I'm just trying to get to work.

Last edited by Rock; 05-20-2007 at 10:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: May pick up a RS4 today. Opinions needed.