W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May pick up a RS4 today. Opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by Rock
Ahhhhh... Marcus, thanks for chiming in. I know you have a good perspective on my dilemma. My question for you is regarding the M3/S4,RS4 comparison.

I love my K3 E55 but I do miss the driving involvement that my E46 M3 offered. My impression of the RS4 is that it's a more refined and powerful M3. I did not really push the RS4 hard but I got the sense that this car is glued to the road when driven fast.

What advantage does the S4/RS4 have over the M3?

BTW- I cannot believe you got rid of the SL600.

bfn: The atom is a sweet ride but I think it is too hard core for my needs. I'm just trying to get to work.
Rock:

For me it's a few things that seperate the S4/RS4 from the E46:

1.) AWD for less-than perfect weather - which Chicago has plenty of - and efficient usage of power.
2.) 4-Doors - utility - I don't need another 2-door sports car when I can have 4-doors and the same or better performance.
3.) V8 aka Torque - M3 simply does not have torque, I don't care what anyone says. Maybe the new one will have more, but the E46 definitely did not have much.
4.) Interior - The Audi is simply best in class over BMW and Mercedes when it comes to interiors, period. Personally I think BMW is at the bottom of the 3.

Those are really the main 4 - I mean let's not forget 8,250rpm of that FSI V8 singing, flared fenders, big brakes, etc etc - the RS4 is a pretty awesome machine. I honestly think #1 is the biggest advantage - the AWD in this car really helps control the power and Audi has done a tremendous job of making the car still handle extremely well with minimal understeer. I am a big AWD fan, and Audi does a really good job with it.

We needed tip for the woman's daily downtown rush-hour commute otherwise we might have bought one. I don't think they are worth sticker but if you are getting a good deal then they are worth it. I'm sure there's many extra variables to this equation that aren't being brought forth in your post but that's how I see it.

BTW - the SL was a great car, but it is not a sports car. To many the Z06 may seem like a downgrade, and in some regards it is, but in many ways it's a huge step up, IMO. If I could have 4-5 cars, an R230 would likely be one of them, but keeping things to a lean 3 cars there's no room for a car like it. I want a real sports car.

-m
Old 05-21-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Rock
What advantage does the S4/RS4 have over the M3?
Much rarer is one thing. There is an M3 on every street corner in L.A. Shame as they are a great car and very well styled. However, the E46 M3 rivals only the S4 as the RS4 is in a totally different league.

I like my S4 a lot but concede that the RS4 is a far more focused and superir machine. 8,250 redline, 8-piston cross drilled brakes, 255 tires, those two huge exhaust outlets and some of the finest 19"s on the market.

When the new M3 comes out it won't be long until they're all over the place. It'll bea great car for sure but won't be rare like the RS4 and will be no faster. The fact you live where their is snow makes this a no brainer.

The image of Audi, is in my profession at least, important. When someone asks what I drive I simply say a little Audi and it doesn't draw the negative response some people give you when you say BMW or Mercedes. The only negative is the awful mileage (9mpg around town, 21mpg if driven serenely on the highway) but that isn't really a factor.

Funnily enough, you can probably work out a deal. My dealership call me every two weeks saying "we have a new RS4 in, come check it out." Seems the price is putting people off. However, if you have the money then go for it. It makes no sense for me as my next car will most likely be the forthcoming RS6 as I need more space but you have the E55 for that.

Good luck but I think you'll regret not pulling the trigger.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
The B7 S4 with quad exhausts has one of the most bassy and brutal exhaust notes. However, the RS4's is even more insane, especially when you push the sport button on the dash
Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Imaginary S550
I have a friend who drove one in last years BullRun and I've driven one myself.

If you have the desire ...buy it! It will be worth it trust me!
Old 05-23-2007, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
a friend called me the other day and asked "what car should i get, 50-80k( )"

1st answer was RS4
2nd cayman S