Sponsored by:

Got the I/C pump cutting out...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
Got the I/C pump cutting out...

Should I take it in, or is this just one of those things all these cars do?

I've read several threads regarding this issue, but couldn't tell if it's something that is just normal where I should either upgrade or live with it, or is it a warranty fix? So many seemed to say they're going to get a new, upgraded after-market pump, but I don't want to do that right now, so can I get it covered under warranty?

I understand there is a new pump with part #000-500-03-86. Should I ask for that?

It wasn't all that hot either. It was night and about 85 degrees F outside. I'm worried about the upcoming summer!

I'm hoping I can get the S/C chirp fixed during this same visit as well.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
it will be replaced under warranty and the newer pumps are quite an improvement.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
The pump needs to be fixed,but dont get too concerned about the chirp.some say it can and hs been taken care of but I think they all come back to chirp sooner or later.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Got my chirp fixed under warranty. Just tell them your s/c clutch is slippping off and on. and they (if they are cool) will change out clutch/belt tensioner. i haven't had chirp in a long time. worked for me good luck.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:58 AM

2005 E55
Thanks. I thought the '05's had the newer pump, but guess I was wrong, and yes, my s/c belt is 'slipping.

I'll call the service guy today... man I hate driving those POS C230 loaners. I just wish they weren't so bare-bones.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by BMWEATR
Got my chirp fixed under warranty. Just tell them your s/c clutch is slippping off and on. and they (if they are cool) will change out clutch/belt tensioner. i haven't had chirp in a long time. worked for me good luck.
Out of curiosity, approximately how long have you gone without the chirp? They tried mine several times with shims and other methods before replacing the entire S/C. BTW, the newer S/C is night/day over the old. Much, much smoother.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
I have the chirp, it's bad too. I was driving in m-mode in a parking garage, windows down, 1st gear, car sounds great echoing off the walls, then give it gas and terrible chirp. My friend responded with "did you just peel out a little"... my response "No, its the damm supercharger kicking in"

BTW, the newer S/C is night/day over the old. Much, much smoother.
Other than smoother, any other differences??
Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 PM

2005 E55
Pump was failing. I got the latest pump. It runs fantastic!

Edit: I ran it tonight like I did last night. I swear, it not only didn't it fail, but I swear it feels faster. I am guessing that possibly it wasn't performing well w/ the old pump, so even with the super charger working, it wasn't working up to its full potential. Now it's not cutting the S/C and it's also running faster.
I'm very pleased.

Last edited by Scott in H-town; 05-22-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:06 PM

2012 JDM
Scott, what about your SC chirp? Did they fix that? If so, did they change out clutch/belt tensioner, or do something different?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
OK guys.... please enlighten newbie here....

The loss of power b/c of IC pump is felt by your butt dyno, right?

I'm the type of person who easily gets used to the car's power.... so "not feeling" the power may not necessarily indicate problems w/ the car. But yes, I feel my car sometimes doesn't give me power that I think it should have. This has happened several times on the highway (75+ mph) during so-so day (60-70F and low humidity) even w/o any speed burst prior to that.

So my question:
Is there any better way to really say that one has IC pump issue? I heard using AutoTap and check IAT should really show whether IC pump is failing or not.

If AutoTap is the answer, what IAT should I expect to get from healthy vs. failing IC pump?

Also... WTH is S/C chirp? I did hear some chirp (not loud w/ all windows closed) on several cars that I test drove. But on my car, I only feel S/C jerk but no chirp.... Do I need to open my windows to hear it?