Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake temps with more psi?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake temps with more psi?!?!

Guys, I posted yesterday as I will be buying a E55 or the E63 in January. My questions concerns the heat issues with the larger crank pulley. Do the cooling mods now available work. I know that Victor is working with some SLR intercoolers but does not Rennetch offer a top mounted intercooler also. Renntech does not even list a price for the custom intercooler but the performance gains they claim are pretty high? Am I going to run into the same damm heat issues with the E55 as I have with the SLK. No after market support for the SLK really and nothing that really helped in the cooling department. I see you E555 guys have a lot of products to choose from and those include some cooling mods.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Mod the E55 with the usuall,pulley,ecu,headers,tb and cooling mod and you'll be fine.Just make sure you dont go skimp on the cooling mod.Plenty of info and options here.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
There are lots of cooling choices for you to decide from and you can do them in stages as you increase power levels.. There are a couple of threads on intercooling subject.. Do a quick search.. You'll get more info than you can handle.

Originally Posted by steve872
Guys, I posted yesterday as I will be buying a E55 or the E63 in January. My questions concerns the heat issues with the larger crank pulley. Do the cooling mods now available work. I know that Victor is working with some SLR intercoolers but does not Rennetch offer a top mounted intercooler also. Renntech does not even list a price for the custom intercooler but the performance gains they claim are pretty high? Am I going to run into the same damm heat issues with the E55 as I have with the SLK. No after market support for the SLK really and nothing that really helped in the cooling department. I see you E555 guys have a lot of products to choose from and those include some cooling mods.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 AM

2014 GL 350 on order
Cory told me that unless you live in a hot clime there is no reason to spend the money. I have K2 setup in my '05 and run the Milan strip pretty often and never had any power pull due to heat soaking-Joker
Old 06-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Cory is a good guy and I have nothing bad to say about him but on this 1 topic I have to disagree.

If you are running a K2, and have Johnston pump you will probably be ok, but a little bit of extra insurance never hurt anyone (extra heat exchanger). The factory deemed it necessary to put a secondary heat exchanger on a stock SL55 and S55.. We just didnt get it on the E55..

With each successive pull, IAT will start to creep. Once they hit 140F (I believe that is the magic #), the ECU starts to retard timing, at 160F timing is retarded quite a bit ( I believe 7deg if I recall correctly).. At 199F S/C gets disengaged.. Depending on how much time elapses in between pulls, the car might not have enough time to recover and you will definitely see the power drop.

The best way for you to see this is to use a datalogger.. Do 3 successive 3rd gear pulls on the highway..

And, if you have a bigger pulley (like the ASP that alot are running)... like the italians say... Fo 'get 'about 'it...

Originally Posted by JokerzWld
Cory told me that unless you live in a hot clime there is no reason to spend the money. I have K2 setup in my '05 and run the Milan strip pretty often and never had any power pull due to heat soaking-Joker
Old 06-16-2007, 02:31 PM

2014 GL 350 on order
vrus: Ill let you take up this discussion with someone (Cory) who is a professional and makes his living doing this, IM just a white collar schmoe who relies on people to advise me appropriately/objectively. Joker
Old 06-16-2007, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
I agree with victor...I am running the ASP pulley, Kleeman headers and SLR cams and let me tell you after the first pull my car just dies...no kidding. This weekend I worked on a little project with a. Meth kit and installing the Johnson pump, let's see how the car behaves now. I know I need the ECU tunned to take full advantage of the methanol but running water wetter for now, let's see...
Old 06-16-2007, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
I agree with victor...I am running the ASP pulley, Kleeman headers and SLR cams and let me tell you after the first pull my car just dies...no kidding. This weekend I worked on a little project with a. Meth kit and installing the Johnson pump, let's see how the car behaves now. I know I need the ECU tunned to take full advantage of the methanol but running water wetter for now, let's see...
What ever happened on the header ordeal?