Y-pipe 101

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Y-pipe 101

......the outlet diameter of th stock y-pipe in the W211 E55 is 81mm, correct?
......the inner diameter of the stock TB is 70mm, and the outer diameter is such tht it fits into the stock Y-adpter, correct?
......The inner diameter of the vrus Tb is 80mm, correct?
......what dimension is the outer diameter of the vrus TB and does it fit into the stock Y-adapter? Is there a different Y-adapter when you purchase a vrus TB? what dimeter is that y-dadpter?

.......The Kleemann TB is essentially a V12 TT TB. The inner dimeter is 81mm and the outer diameter is 86mm. As a result it comes with an adapter that adapts the 86mm outer diameter to the stock Y-dapter.
........so my question is, do the V12 TT's have Y-adapters and if so, is the business end 86mm wide such that it can be used unsed in our cars in combination with the Kleemann TB? Is there an 86mm Y-adapter on the market?

.......the 07 SL55 fr sure (and probably the 07 G55) comes stock with 80mm TB. The Y-adapter is same size as ours meaning that only the inner portion was bored out to achieve the 80mm. Will this therefore not be a good source for those that want TB upgrade?

.........Finally, why are there two VRP carbon fiber airboxes on the market (one for 70mm TB and the other for 80mm TB)when one Y adapter fits both?

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 06-20-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Ted.. Let me give you some facts...

- Stock TB is 74mm inner diameter

- Stock Y-pipe inner diameter is 76mm (which mounts to the 76mm mouth of TB)

- 2007 SL55 80mm TB & My 80mm TB have same inner & outer diameter (inner diameter is 80mm at the leading edge). The only differences are wiring and PCV connection. (2007 SL55 has no PCV connector at the bottom.. Mine does)

- 2007 SL55 Y-pipe and my Y-pipe are exactly the same shell but they have different GASKET sealing method. My Y-pipe has a rubber O-ring pressed into the Y-pipe which seals against the mouth of the TB. The 2007 SL55 Y-pipe they changed the gasket to a thicker rubber ring which is approx 2mm in thickness.

- 2007 SL55 has a stepped/ridged mouth which was done to accept the thicker gasket on the Y-pipe.. The mouth on my TB is even and uniform all the way down.

- 2007 SL55 Y-pipe is not available separately.. It comes as a kit with the 2 rubber boots that connect to the airboxes.. The "kit" is approx $220 from the dealer.

- My 80mm Y-pipe can be purchased separately and is apprx $90 from the dealer.

- The V12TT cars have NO Y-pipe. All the V12TT cars have TB which are oriented in a vertical position. All of these cars have the airboxes mounting overtop of the TB and therefore dont require the Y-pipe.

- All 55K cars have their TB mounted horizontally and have airboxes on either side of the engine which is why the Y-pipe exists in the first place.

- Kleemann never provided a Y-pipe with their 80mm TB because they use the V12TT TB from the Maybach/SL65.. It has a different mouth and will not accept my 80mm Y-pipe.. (Josh -- DragonAMG will confirm this as I provided one for him but he subsequently learned it doesnt mate up).

I've spent many months researching and working with all these different combinations and parts so you can take what I say as fact.

The CF airbox exists in 2 version because the mouth of the stock TB is much smaller than the 80mm TB mouth.

Here is a pic comparing the stock 74mm Y-pipe against my 80mm Y-pipe:

Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by vrus

- 2007 SL55 80mm TB & My 80mm TB have same inner & outer diameter (inner diameter is 80mm at the leading edge). The only differences are wiring and PCV connection. (2007 SL55 has no PCV connector at the bottom.. Mine does)

- 2007 SL55 Y-pipe and my Y-pipe are exactly the same shell but they have different GASKET sealing method. My Y-pipe has a rubber O-ring pressed into the Y-pipe which seals against the mouth of the TB. The 2007 SL55 Y-pipe they changed the gasket to a thicker rubber ring which is approx 2mm in thickness.

- 2007 SL55 has a stepped/ridged mouth which was done to accept the thicker gasket on the Y-pipe.. The mouth on my TB is even and uniform all the way down.

- 2007 SL55 Y-pipe is not available separately.. It comes as a kit with the 2 rubber boots that connect to the airboxes.. The "kit" is approx $220 from the dealer.

- The V12TT cars have NO Y-pipe. All the V12TT cars have TB which are oriented in a vertical position. All of these cars have the airboxes mounting overtop of the TB and therefore dont require the Y-pipe.

- All 55K cars have their TB mounted horizontally and have airboxes on either side of the engine which is why the Y-pipe exists in the first place.

- Kleemann never provided a Y-pipe with their 80mm TB because they use the V12TT TB from the Maybach/SL65.. It has a different mouth and will not accept my 80mm Y-pipe.. (Josh -- DragonAMG will confirm this as I provided one for him but he subsequently learned it doesnt mate up).

I've spent many months researching and working with all these different combinations and parts so you can take what I say as fact.

The CF airbox exists in 2 version because the mouth of the stock TB is much smaller than the 80mm TB mouth.

Thanks for the info Victor.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce

..........I think I got it. your 80mm Y-pipe is only useful for those who have purchased your 80mm Tb and not useful for those who have the V12 TT (AKA Kleemann) TB.

.......Those with Kleemann TB have to use the more restrictive 76mm inner diameter stock y-pipe. This is where I am kinda confused.

......The 07 SL55 Y-pipe is similar to yur 80 mm y-pipe but yours can be purchased separately, but the Sl55 Y-pipe comes as a unit with the rubber bolts that connect to the TB.

........understood. thanks.

Ted
Old 06-20-2007, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Just wish someone could post of video of actually removing the (&)(*&()*^in clamps from the things. I tried for half an hour and gave up.

Tried the pliers pinching together but it would not let me pry up the little nub.

Could Benz have made clamps any harder to get off!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Just wish someone could post of video of actually removing the (&)(*&()*^in clamps from the things. I tried for half an hour and gave up.

Tried the pliers pinching together but it would not let me pry up the little nub.

Could Benz have made clamps any harder to get off!!!

..........just to add to the confusion, the internal diameter of the stock Y-pipe is 81mm. I know this differs from what has been said. Mine is being replaced and we ordered one from the dealer and it measures 81mm in its internal diameter. Maybe we ordered the 07 sl55 y-pipe by mistake, but it does fit with the Kleemann Tb using the supplied 86mm to 81mm adapter from Kleemann. I don't know what this means in the universe of y-pipes.

Ted
Old 06-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Ted.. Just to make sure I wasnt losing my mind.. I just remeasured the 2007 SL55 80mm Y-pipe and my Y-pipe.. they are both 82 - 83mm inner diameter (difference is the gasket thickness).

The stock Y-pipe I guarantee is not 81mm.. If yours is, then you have a 80mm TB on your car. You saw the pic I posted of the 2 Y-pipes together.. Do they look like they are even remotely close to having a similar diameter?

LOL.. Of course it fits the Kleemann 80mm TB if you use the adapter... Josh was hoping to put it on and REMOVE the adapter so it has a nice clean look like my kits do.

Question: Are you measuring the I.D. of the stock Y-pipe by TAKING OUT the gasket that is on the inside??? Cause if you do that, it might very well be close to 80mm I.D.. You need to measure the mouth of the Y-pipe with the gasket intact. Look at the pic I posted above.. Which one does your Y-pipe look like?

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........just to add to the confusion, the internal diameter of the stock Y-pipe is 81mm. I know this differs from what has been said. Mine is being replaced and we ordered one from the dealer and it measures 81mm in its internal diameter. Maybe we ordered the 07 sl55 y-pipe by mistake, but it does fit with the Kleemann Tb using the supplied 86mm to 81mm adapter from Kleemann. I don't know what this means in the universe of y-pipes.

Ted
Old 06-21-2007, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
the 07 SL55 fr sure (and probably the 07 G55) comes stock with 80mm TB. The Y-adapter is same size as ours meaning that only the inner portion was bored out to achieve the 80mm. Will this therefore not be a good source for those that want TB upgrade?

Ted
The 07 SL55 does,but the 07 G55 doesnt not from what I have seen.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

Will your Y-pipe work with the 07 SL55? If so I might just get one from you if you have plenty of them.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:40 AM

All of them!
Here's Teds (81mm as Mercedes themselves refer to it) Y-pipe that Malcome had drilled a hole for the nitrous nozzle in. It is pictured atop his engine. This is probably what is being referred to as a 70mm pipe for clarification purposes.

Here's a shot of his Kleemann 80mm (AMG SL65) throttle body, and the adapters on both side of it. The adapter uses the Mercedes 86mm (again as Mercedes refers to it) seal for connection to the housing and the stock 81mm seal in the y-pipe remains installed.

What would be nice to know is if the 80mm as it has referred to here, actually has the 86mm inlet diameter with the seal in place. My goal here is to replace Ted's with that one to stop his Y-hose from rubbing the firewall.
I finally located the numbers yesterday but have none showing in the country.

Here is a picture for the person with the clamp question. It is a pain to deal with them but it can be done. Mini screwdriver to release, side cutters to close and some technique and persistance helps. This is Ted's replacement installed.

Last edited by mbenzman; 06-22-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by mbenzman
Here's Teds (81mm as Mercedes themselves refer to it) Y-pipe that Malcome had drilled a hole for the nitrous nozzle in. It is pictured atop his engine. This is probably what is being referred to as a 70mm pipe for clarification purposes.

Here's a shot of his Kleemann 80mm (AMG SL65) throttle body, and the adapters on both side of it. The adapter uses the Mercedes 86mm (again as Mercedes refers to it) seal for connection to the housing and the stock 81mm seal in the y-pipe remains installed.

What would be nice to know is if the 80mm as it has referred to here, actually has the 86mm inlet diameter with the seal in place. My goal here is to replace Ted's with that one to stop his Y-hose from rubbing the firewall.
I finally located the numbers yesterday but have none showing in the country.

Here is a picture for the person with the clamp question. It is a pain to deal with them but it can be done. Mini screwdriver to release, side cutters to close and some technique and persistance helps. This is Ted's replacement installed.
.........Thanks Mbenzman. So the stock Y-pipe is 81mm, not 76mm inner diameter. Where is this 76mm Y-pipe that vrus was refferring to. I believe vrus also. So it is that the G55 has a stock 80mm Y-pipe and the W211 e55 has a 76mm Y-pipe? And is the 07 SL55 a combination a new 80mm TB and the pre-existing 81mm G55 Y-pipe?

Ted

Ted
Old 06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Ted.. I am so baffled by all this.

You guys are measuring the I.D. of the Y-pipe with the RUBBER GASKET REMOVED.. I am measuring the Y-pipe I.D WITH the rubber gasket in place. When I measure the 80mm Y-pipe with gasket in place I got 82 - 83mm..

Do this for me.. On the back of the Y-pipe.. there are some AMG #'s stamped on it.. Please check the back of the Y-pipe and post the AMG # that is stamped back there.. I'll tell you where it came from.

.........Thanks Mbenzman. So the stock Y-pipe is 81mm, not 76mm inner diameter. Where is this 76mm Y-pipe that vrus was refferring to. I believe vrus also. So it is that the G55 has a stock 80mm Y-pipe and the W211 e55 has a 76mm Y-pipe? And is the 07 SL55 a combination a new 80mm TB and the pre-existing 81mm G55 Y-pipe?

Ted

Ted
Old 06-22-2007, 01:29 PM

All of them!
I posted a picture of the Y-pipe with the gasket installed and the caliper is reading reading 81mm to help end all confusion and hopefully have everyone on the same page.
In my picture is the standard Y-pipe (Ted's old stock damaged part I have replaced with a same # new one) with the part number A113 094 01 03. If you measure farther in than the rubber seal # A112 159 00 80 it is a smaller I.D..
The adapter to fit the Kleemann (AMG SL65) throttle body uses a standard common # A112 159 01 80 86mm (measured the same way, installed in the pipe and the way M.B. refers to it in their footnotes) rubber seal.
So if you measure yours this way, Is it 86mm? I believe the part number for this one would be A113 094 02 03 if my memory serves me from yesterday.
This part is showing no stock in the U.S. and would have to come from either Germany or Vrus if this is what he has and oblidge I by measuring it in the same fashion.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:47 PM

All of them!
The adapter for the throttle on Ted's is 91mm without the seal,
the Y-pipe is 86mm without the seal. This is measured where the seals sit, not farther in, which is a smaller diameter.
What's the part number for the seal on your 80mm Y-pipe? If it's A112 159 01 80, then it's the 86mm seal for an 80mm throttle.
For a little more confusion, the I.D. of Ted's throttle body is actually 78mm, not 80mm. This measured via a machinists telescoping bore gauge.

The part # (on the box) of the stock replacement Y-pipe assembly that I have installed on the G55 is A113 094 01 29. I believe the 07 SL55 assembly is A113 094 02 29.

Last edited by mbenzman; 06-22-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
throtle body

does anyone know if I can fit the 80mm throttle body on my 03 SL 500,I have a Kleeman Supercharger on it
Old 06-22-2007, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I posted a picture of the Y-pipe with the gasket installed and the caliper is reading reading 81mm to help end all confusion and hopefully have everyone on the same page.
In my picture is the standard Y-pipe (Ted's old stock damaged part I have replaced with a same # new one) with the part number A113 094 01 03. If you measure farther in than the rubber seal # A112 159 00 80 it is a smaller I.D..
The adapter to fit the Kleemann (AMG SL65) throttle body uses a standard common # A112 159 01 80 86mm (measured the same way, installed in the pipe and the way M.B. refers to it in their footnotes) rubber seal.
So if you measure yours this way, Is it 86mm? I believe the part number for this one would be A113 094 02 03 if my memory serves me from yesterday.
This part is showing no stock in the U.S. and would have to come from either Germany or Vrus if this is what he has and oblidge I by measuring it in the same fashion.

The 07 SL55 has 2 part numbers stamped on some of them.A113 094 0003 and A113 094 0203

A112 159 0080 has been updated to A112 141 1880 and its also the same number the W211 E55 uses.

MB NOTES:93mm OD/81mm ID For gasket A112 159 0080 :Please measure vehicle to verify correct size

Last edited by Jrocket; 06-22-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Jrocket
The 07 SL55 has 2 part numbers stamped on some of them.A113 094 0003 and A113 094 0203

A112 159 0080 has been updated to A112 141 1880 and its also the same number the W211 E55 uses.

MB NOTES:93mm OD/81mm ID For gasket A112 159 0080 :Please measure vehicle to verify correct size
..........so the A112 159 0080 is the stock Y-pipe and it measures 81mm ID. So where is the stock 76mm ID Y-pipe? Does it exist?

...........if the ID of the stock E55 Y-pipe is already 81mm, what is the difference then between this and the SL55 y-pipe?

Ted
Old 06-22-2007, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
..........so the A112 159 0080 is the stock Y-pipe and it measures 81mm ID. So where is the stock 76mm ID Y-pipe? Does it exist?

...........if the ID of the stock E55 Y-pipe is already 81mm, what is the difference then between this and the SL55 y-pipe?

Ted

A112 159 0080 is the gasket that the y-pipe slides over,not the y-pipe?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
The adapter for the throttle on Ted's is 91mm without the seal,
the Y-pipe is 86mm without the seal. This is measured where the seals sit, not farther in, which is a smaller diameter.
What's the part number for the seal on your 80mm Y-pipe? If it's A112 159 01 80, then it's the 86mm seal for an 80mm throttle.
For a little more confusion, the I.D. of Ted's throttle body is actually 78mm, not 80mm. This measured via a machinists telescoping bore gauge.

The part # (on the box) of the stock replacement Y-pipe assembly that I have installed on the G55 is A113 094 01 29. I believe the 07 SL55 assembly is A113 094 02 29.
You sure that wasnt A113 090 0129 and A113 090 0329?

Did you measure A113 090 0129 at 86mm ID and install this on onto Ted's car?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:21 AM

All of them!
You sure that wasnt A113 090 0129 and A113 090 0329?

Did you measure A113 090 0129 at 86mm ID and install this on onto Ted's car?
I was holding the box (A113 094 01 29 which is an assembly #, not the actual # cast into the Y) that the new identical replacement y-pipe (uses seal # A112 159 00 80, 86mm od, 81mm id) for Ted's G came in whilst typing to eliminate any potential mistakes.
I also held the seals with their respective part #'s and measured while posting.
The other part number whatever it is, A113 094 02 29 or 03 29 (speaking from my memory of going back and searching the EPC for the 07 SL55 here 2 days ago) Is what's in question here. I would have to order it from Germany to find out if it's seal is 91mm od/ 86mm inlet I.D..unless someone who know's exactly already that this is the piece and will answer the question for myself/Ted/ anyone else who cares, etc..
I don't have to have it to repair Ted's G as the other is already on, but I believe it would be a nicer part for his application as his current setup rubs the firewall, and eliminating one of the adapters should correct this.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:42 AM

All of them!

Didn't notice earlier replies.
I gave up on ordering by the cast in number, but it is nice for reference purposes. I originally ordered the Y-pipe for Ted's this way, but a couple month's later I gave up and ordered the assembly number.
The updated seal numbers I have yet to see, including the ones I just had come in. I have personally ordered and used two pairs (00 80 and 01 80) this week and still don't get the updated seal number as seen in the EPC!
Don't hold your breath on the EPC being 100% correct. The old version EPC was easier, better and more model year specific.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Looks like the 01 80 was first out,then replaced by 18 80(which is what is on my 05 E55) then that was replaced by the 00 80 number.

The 03 29(kit) number is for the 80mm tb(07SL55) from what Im getting.The 0003 y-pipe can be ordered seperately.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:03 AM

All of them!
Looks like the 01 80 was first out,then replaced by 18 80(which is what is on my 05 E55) then that was replaced by the 00 80 number.

The 03 29(kit) number is for the 80mm tb(07SL55) from what Im getting.The 0003 y-pipe can be ordered seperately.
That would be nice as the original should have been able to get seperately too, but a couple months waiting = nothing. I ordered by the assembly # (higher cost as well) and recieved the next day.

A112-159-00-80 and 112-159-01-80 are two different seals and cannot sub to each other. 81mm vs. 86mm id's.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
That would be nice as the original should have been able to get seperately too, but a couple months waiting = nothing. I ordered by the assembly # (higher cost as well) and recieved the next day.

A112-159-00-80 and 112-159-01-80 are two different seals and cannot sub to each other. 81mm vs. 86mm id's.

Correct on the ID's,but Im not seeing where you're getting the OD's from?

What part number did you wait for months on? And which part assembly did you get right away?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:36 AM

All of them!
Correct on the ID's,but Im not seeing where you're getting the OD's from?

What part number did you wait for months on? And which part assembly did you get right away?
Measured the inside of their respective seats with a machinist's bore gauge. remove the seal and measure the bore it would sit in. I used the vernier dial caliper as a reference for pictures.
I had waited for the original unsuperceded Y-pipe only part #, I don't remember, but the one I ordered this week since Ted's G was coming back in and I was tired of waiting, was more $ but came with the hoses, which we didn't need, but what are you going to do?. There were none in M.B.'s depots. A dealer search showed two in the country but neither dealer would sell them as they claimed to have customers on them. So we waited since I had patched the hole in Ted's.
Here's a shot of Teds old one and the new assembled one complete with the 81mm -86mm adapter with it's seal installed.