Sponsored by:

*** VRP Extreme Belt Wrap Kit ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Look forward to hearing your feedback on the new product.

If there is anything you think can be done to improve on it we would love to hear about it.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by vrus
If there is anything you think can be done to improve on it we would love to hear about it.
99.9% discount to your repeat customers!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Jack.. You funny guy!!!!

Let me see what I can do about that...

Originally Posted by jcjmw
99.9% discount to your repeat customers!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55, 2007 E280
Sehr gut. Forum :)

Guten Tag! My name Klaus I am MB/AMG tech in Stuttgart. I have been a tech for 8 years and been AMG tech for 2. I sorry my English not so good. I travel to North America once in 2005 for teach at seminar very much like Newjersy.

I am here because customer ask me to check part out so I new here looks like lots of people doing mods. Some customers with 55K ask me to install this belt kit for them and ask me if ok.

I have few question about belt kit.

1. You say “Stock setup provides 45% - 50% MAX” where you get figures? MB factor all 230K, 32K, 55K also SLR and DTM engine with 75-80% contact. How you know your system give 80% contact? If original MB system is 75% then what your system be and how did you test? MB does this for street to make engine last longer instead 100%. Because of supercharge design MB add slip because bearing wear and driveabilty.

2. What about supercharge clutch failure? Extra tension, clutch not mean for that much more contact. MB use clutch engage for better street drive, what happen for warranty and clutch problem. Have you test this set-up and understand what happen to the rest of parts, do your engineer understand the clutch and bearing concern MB had when first design this system.

McLaren and DTM engineer not change this design because this supercharge need to have slip, this street supercharge not race. I learn at SLR training McLaren leave this system along because of rotor wear issue, supercharge would have to redesign. McLaren team and DTM team say only solution was to use direct drive system with cog belt, but need to add blow off valve for idle and many drive problem at low-rpm. System is suppose to be this way because of design of supercharge.

In SLR training they say the bearing failure occur from extra load which cause extra heat, they plan to redesign but because they not make 55K no more they stop redesign.

3. What frequency you crank balance tune for, what weight is it do you know MB design pulley specific to internal components, how you design this, did you spec the internal of engine if so can you show me specs. DTM team spend over 3000 hour design crank balance, they have very much concern for bearing wear. What hardness elastic in your balance and why. MB design specific for engine harmonic with certain hardness. How much testing go into your design if so what kind bearing wear show?

I see many good think here very nice see smart people, but I very concern about clutch failure and supercharge failure, with warranty void very expense fix.

I tell my customer to leave stock system alone. I suggest bigger pulley for good mod, but ask them to use modify stock one so they still have original MB design.

Look forward to answers.

Danke schön very nice talk, you very nice cars too
Klaus
Old 07-13-2007, 04:47 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
All I can say is welcome aboard Stuttgart Tech
Think it’s great you are participating and wish you were here earlier on, to participating on this thread.

p.s when can you coming to Kuwait to help me with mods or better yet do you know any good techs at the main mb dealer here in kuwait ?
thanks

Last edited by Zod; 07-13-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Stuttgart Tech, you are very welcome...!!!!

Can tell us if modifying the bypass valves will yield additional power...?

What is your opinion on porting the exhaust side of the heads? Any long term damage being done here ?

What is the best cooling upgrade you think would yield the best results... should we start with the I/C or is a larger radiator sufficient. What about splitting the IC water circuit from the engine circuit is this a good idea?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 AM

2006 C55, 2007 E280
ZOD Danke schön! I not know about this forum until customer tell me to check out belt kit. Yes would like to join talk earlier you guys very nice people! ZOD please message me if you have question about mods i happy to help. Some tech from Dubai come here soon for new AMG training i let know who i meet here.

Stevebez Danke schön! Steve bypass in supercharge not make more power still same boost. Feel like more power because boost at low rpm. AMG add bypass so engine last longer, full boost at part throttle no good for engine. Many warranty problem with early 03 SL55 because no bypass, some cars get complete supercharg replace with bypass. SLR also have bypass no hurt power. Porting head no problem as long as done right. Split IC circuit good idea, larger core is good only good fix is how McLaren change IC. Factory manifold cause biggest problem, just adding extra core or modifiy manifold not very good. Space was big problem that why AMG add manifold under supercharge.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
These are very interesting insights into our engines. Thank-you.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:26 AM

2006 C55, 2007 E280
Bitte schön! OzE55 These car very well engineered, many things make big different but many if you not know or understand things can make very bad. AMG, McLaren, DTM all have engineer work full time to make things, not easy to just develop part in few month. If no warranty and car break very expense.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Guten Tag Klaus,

Originally Posted by Stuttgart Tech
1. You say “Stock setup provides 45% - 50% MAX” where you get figures?
See belt contact area below.

MB factor all 230K, 32K, 55K also SLR and DTM engine with 75-80% contact. How you know your system give 80% contact? If original MB system is 75% then what your system be and how did you test? MB does this for street to make engine last longer instead 100%. Because of supercharge design MB add slip because bearing wear and driveabilty.
I'm not sure where you got the 75 to 80% figure from but as you can see from the image above there is only a small amount of belt contact on a 55 s/c system. My system increases belt contact area thus preventing further slip.

Regarding bearing wear and drivability, no doubt that pushing the engine further than stock specifications will shorten an engines life but that is relative depending what has been done and the drivability is awesome at top end! So if this equals a shorter engine life then I'm enjoying every minute of it!

2. What about supercharge clutch failure? Extra tension, clutch not mean for that much more contact. MB use clutch engage for better street drive, what happen for warranty and clutch problem. Have you test this set-up and understand what happen to the rest of parts, do your engineer understand the clutch and bearing concern MB had when first design this system.
I've studied very carefully the stock setup which is very inefficient when using larger pulleys. This setup has been used on my guinea pig car with no problems. The bearing located on the s/c shaft is quite large and won't have any problems holding up. The clutch engages at low rpm so this operates as normal. Naturally at top end where higher pressure is applied clutch slip could occur but after testing with the first generation clutches (metal to metal type) no clutch slip occurred. I don't know about the new ones that AMG made to correct the squeak problem by using a softer compound to help reduce squeak which came from the belt when the clutch suddenly engaged. I also noticed that the stock idler and accessories pulley had a small under sized bearing so I upgraded this one for a wider high speed type which is used on 30k + rpm grinders. Over kill for this application but will do the job nicely. Bearings are no problem but a second generation clutch could be. If the new clutch does it's job there shouldn't be a problem.

McLaren and DTM engineer not change this design because this supercharge need to have slip, this street supercharge not race.
Do you know for a fact that our s/c is designed to slip? It sounds as if you know the engineers personally? I would love to meet these guys!!! I'm coming to Germany in November to visit AMG and family members. Do you work here? Would love to meet and chat. I'm also visiting MB World UK before I pop in to Germany. Send me a PM and we'll catch up. Would love to chat to see why these have been designed to slip.

I learn at SLR training McLaren leave this system along because of rotor wear issue, supercharge would have to redesign. McLaren team and DTM team say only solution was to use direct drive system with cog belt, but need to add blow off valve for idle and many drive problem at low-rpm. System is suppose to be this way because of design of supercharge.
Not sure about the blow off as we have a bypass valve??? I regards to rotor wear I have an 03 version with 120k's clocked up using a 175mm pulley and around 30k's with the wrap and tensioner kit. After I disassembled the super charger I noticed no contact or ware on the rotors. The only annoying thing I noticed that it was full of oil from the stock PCV system which will be amended shortly with a new 100% filtering system which I'm currently developing.

In SLR training they say the bearing failure occur from extra load which cause extra heat, they plan to redesign but because they not make 55K no more they stop redesign.
Maybe so, because the SLR uses gearing to increase s/c rpm which generates extra heat and is cooled by oil flowing through the gears using the dry sump pump. Prolonged usage with large pulleys could increase ware with or with out extra pulley wrapping. This is also why I'm not a fan of super charger spacers which prevents cooling of the s/c via the block. As you know, the SLR charger uses a reinforced gear house (see photo below) due to a larger gearing system to increase RPM. You would of thought MB would use this setup on ours hey?

3. What frequency you crank balance tune for, what weight is it do you know MB design pulley specific to internal components, how you design this, did you spec the internal of engine if so can you show me specs. DTM team spend over 3000 hour design crank balance, they have very much concern for bearing wear. What hardness elastic in your balance and why. MB design specific for engine harmonic with certain hardness. How much testing go into your design if so what kind bearing wear show?
I haven't used the new balancer yet because they are not finished. The engineer who developed these has a patient on the design and has also designed pulleys and balancers for MB trucks Australia he also has access data regarding our 55's. I'll be the first to test and try it out and I'll photograph the whole process for all to see in my Stock to Awe thread. I can see why DTM spent a stack of hours developing a balancer for endurance reasons so what does it look like? Can we buy one of these DTM versions? What is the part number?

I see many good think here very nice see smart people, but I very concern about clutch failure and supercharge failure, with warranty void very expense fix.
I suppose any mod's during the warranty period could technically affect any claim. Most people take calculated risks with success when moding their cars. Sure you get some horror stories but not many as far as I know. NOS would have to be the ultimate engine killer!

I tell my customer to leave stock system alone. I suggest bigger pulley for good mod, but ask them to use modify stock one so they still have original MB design.
I not sure what yo mean here? Because according to your advise from the engineers that you know, the stock system is designed to slip? so why suggest a larger pulley that would cause more stress & slip??? Is this correct?

Anyway I would love to catch up in Germany Klaus! Looking forward to it.

Auf Wiedersehen,

Finny
Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Welcome to MBWorld!!!

Finny has already responded to alot of your questions, but I will provide just a few points...

I am sure you have seen alot more MB engines than I have.. All of the ones I have seen, however, show 45 - 50% MAX contact.. And that becomes even less once the belt starts to oscillate and jump up and down against the idler.

Vadim @ GMG (he is another long time member here) did these tests completely separate from us more than a year ago and video taped the belt jumping around. He also has proved that this is a problem.

I tried to find a picture of the stock 55K motor front shot showing belt wrap, but I cannot find one right now.. This is the best I have at the moment.. Notice if you create a cross-section of the snout of the pulley, you will clearly see its roughly half the contact area:

Also, keep in mind that people that are putting these kits on their cars already have the symptoms.. I've seen the belt slip issues personally.. There are 2 other members whos cars exhibit the exact same behaviour..

Anytime you mod the car you are risking extra wear and possible failure on engine components.. Its a known risk that every modder takes.

I guess the bottom line is you have 2 choices: Keep your car the way it is and live with belt slip and power drop off at high RPM and have a motor that will have parts that last longer.. OR... Fix the belt slipping issue, make use of all the extra power the engine is making.

Dont forget.. In the long run, with this new belt wrap system, it **MIGHT** be possible to go to a slightly smaller pulley and still make the same effective boost as a larger pulley with NO BELT WRAP... There are 20 kits out there.. I am sure you will see a flood of response...

Look forward to your contributions! Its always nice to have an experienced MB tech on board!!

I have few question about belt kit.

1. You say “Stock setup provides 45% - 50% MAX” where you get figures? MB factor all 230K, 32K, 55K also SLR and DTM engine with 75-80% contact. How you know your system give 80% contact? If original MB system is 75% then what your system be and how did you test? MB does this for street to make engine last longer instead 100%. Because of supercharge design MB add slip because bearing wear and driveabilty.

McLaren and DTM engineer not change this design because this supercharge need to have slip, this street supercharge not race. I learn at SLR training McLaren leave this system along because of rotor wear issue, supercharge would have to redesign. McLaren team and DTM team say only solution was to use direct drive system with cog belt, but need to add blow off valve for idle and many drive problem at low-rpm. System is suppose to be this way because of design of supercharge.

Look forward to answers.

Danke schön very nice talk, you very nice cars too
Klaus
Old 07-13-2007, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey Stuttgart Tech, you have to have any inside info on whether Benz is gonna Twin Turbo the 6.3? Figured you are pretty close to the action.

Just thought I would ask. (sorry to veer )
Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Hey Stuttgart Tech, you have to have any inside info on whether Benz is gonna Twin Turbo the 6.3? Figured you are pretty close to the action.

Just thought I would ask. (sorry to veer )
Same here cause I've been investigating the same thing with one of my contacts in the big white round building located in the UK.

So what's the low down? I would love to have a thread called "Ask a pro your most hairiest questions" lol How about it Klaus!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
VIC, FINNY, and JAKPRO you guys have to be kidding me right? there is no way in hell this guy is who he says he is.
if he is who is the customer? or better yet customer step up who are you?
sorry to be this way but i dont buy it!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Ahhh, it was worth a shot. I am sure no plans are going to change due to whatever this guy says anyway.

Hey on another off topic sidenote, we had a chick in my high school many moons ago with the last name Klaus but it was pronounced Claws. What the did the friggin parents name her, Santa. Swear to ya, her name was Santa Klaus. She tried to spin it saying it was pronounced Son-ta but the Kids in school just punished the poor thing. Some parents are just evil.

Okay, now back to the belt wrap show.....
Old 07-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Hey on another off topic sidenote, we had a chick in my high school many moons ago with the last name Klaus but it was pronounced Claws. What the did the friggin parents name her, Santa. Swear to ya, her name was Santa Klaus. She tried to spin it saying it was pronounced Son-ta but the Kids in school just punished the poor thing. Some parents are just evil.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
there is no way in hell this guy is who he says he is.
I have my doubts, but he does seem to posses some knowledge. Let see what he says.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 PM

2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Looking at this from a very simplistic viewpoint, the purpose of the belt kit is to simply eliminate or diminish the likelyhood of belt slippage. What harm could be done to the SC or engine, SC clutch, if the kit were to keep the belt from slipping for the split second it would have without the kit. Unless, there is suppose to be slippage at some RPM range in order to protect the SC. I DUNNO..............

Thoughts anyone??

Roland
Old 07-13-2007, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
So MB designed the random slippage in order to prevent bearing wear and driveability. Surely the technology on these cars is more advance than this. I could be wrong, but I must agree this does seem 'odd'.

By the way, and far more importantly, I must give kudos to VRUS and Finny for being absolute gentleman and responding to this post in the most charismatic manner possible. There have been a number of tuners as well as shops, who have been very defensive (sometimes directly at one's character) when a forum member complains or challenges their products...
Old 07-13-2007, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
+1...

Originally Posted by SleeperX
So MB designed the random slippage in order to prevent bearing wear and driveability. Surely the technology on these cars is more advance than this. I could be wrong, but I must agree this does seem 'odd'.

By the way, and far more importantly, I must give kudos to VRUS and Finny for being absolute gentleman and responding to this post in the most charismatic manner possible. There have been a number of tuners as well as shops, who have been very defensive (sometimes directly at one's character) when a forum member complains or challenges their products...
Old 07-13-2007, 01:53 PM

2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Originally Posted by SaMaS
+1...
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Guys.. I truly appreciate the support. You know I've been here a long time, and all of this started with a simple quest for more power and to understand how these engines work and what is good and not good to do to them.

I've learned alot along the way and I am not here to push boxes on people. I dont make something and then go looking for a problem to solve with it.. If something exists that I talk about its out of necessity (in my opinion anyway) or want.

I am also not here to hide behind a wall and peek my head out every once in a while.. Everything that has my name attached to it is put out there to be scrutinized, tested, debated, and whatever else people want to throw at it... I believe in everything I've created or helped create and I stand behind it 110%.

I can take criticism. I look at it this way... the more feedback and comments I get the better it is for me to improve on things going forward.

I am open to any and all ideas Stuttgart Tech or anyone else has with regards to any product.

The real hard facts will come once some of the problem-child E55s on here redyno their cars with the wrap kit on..
Old 07-13-2007, 03:22 PM

2006 C55, 2007 E280
Guten Tag! Finny I very much happy to see you hard work. I not understand 80% contact i mean slip. MB design 20-25% slip with current design. I want understand how measure slip i sorry i mean different. With new clutches use they change clearance inside clutch as well all techs have to check clearence when install new assemble yes new idle have better bearing but my concern is clutch not handle less slip from belt will cause failure. We learn in AMG training about clutch problem and IC pump problem. Finny i send message we talk, yes i live Stuttgart.

You have understand this supercharge basic design is from very early c-klass kompress and MB make rotor longer. It street design not race it have slip engineer not make clutch and bearing system to do this. Extra pessure to clutch paks cause overheat and failure. This design will work very good for short time until clutch and supercharge problem occur. Like finny say he not mind for problem for more power.

Vrus and Finny Danke schön! I not here to fight my english not good but like people no like Klaus for try help, i only want understand for customer, how i know who customer is here, he ask me to check out. I not install for customer because will cost later I sorry for try help Finny i message anyone if need help please message.

Auf Wiedersehen
Klaus
Old 07-13-2007, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Guten Tag! Finny I very much happy to see you hard work. I not understand 80% contact i mean slip. MB design 20-25% slip with current design. I want understand how measure slip i sorry i mean different. With new clutches use they change clearance inside clutch as well all techs have to check clearence when install new assemble yes new idle have better bearing but my concern is clutch not handle less slip from belt will cause failure. We learn in AMG training about clutch problem and IC pump problem. Finny i send message we talk, yes i live Stuttgart.

You have understand this supercharge basic design is from very early c-klass kompress and MB make rotor longer. It street design not race it have slip engineer not make clutch and bearing system to do this. Extra pessure to clutch paks cause overheat and failure. This design will work very good for short time until clutch and supercharge problem occur. Like finny say he not mind for problem for more power.

Vrus and Finny Danke schön! I not here to fight my english not good but like people no like Klaus for try help, i only want understand for customer, how i know who customer is here, he ask me to check out. I not install for customer because will cost later I sorry for try help Finny i message anyone if need help please message.

Auf Wiedersehen
Klaus
klaus can you PM me your phone number and extension number i would like to ask you some questions.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

Auf Wiedersehen
Klaus
Welcome,

Thanks for dropping in and giving this info.Everyones opinions are welcome here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** VRP Extreme Belt Wrap Kit ***