Sponsored by:

*** VRP Extreme Belt Wrap Kit ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Stuttgart Tech
MB design 20-25% slip with current design. I want understand how measure slip i sorry i mean different. With new clutches use they change clearance inside clutch as well all techs have to check clearence when install new assemble yes new idle have better bearing but my concern is clutch not handle less slip from belt will cause failure.
"MB design 20-25% slip with current design." Wow! They actually did this on purpose? Can you imagine the pulley doing burnout's on the belt? Yeah why not! belts are cheeper than s/c clutches hey. Now I finally understand MB's genius methology on saving the supercharger and clutch system.

In regards to the clutch slipping I had the same theory that loss could be occurring in this region as well so I locked up the clutch electrically and marked where they join, then in dyno mode I ran it through all the gears flat stick.

Surprise Surprise... No Clutch Slip with the proto wrap, aux tensioner and a 175mm pulley. It's only a matter of time before the second gen clutches have been street tested. I looking forward to feed back from the 20 or so happy campers.

Finny i send message we talk, yes i live Stuttgart.
Yeah cool, PM me your phone number and we'll organize to catch up on my trip.

You have understand this supercharge basic design is from very early c-klass kompress and MB make rotor longer. It street design not race it have slip engineer not make clutch and bearing system to do this. Extra pressure to clutch paks cause overheat and failure. This design will work very good for short time until clutch and supercharge problem occur.
Lysholm style compressor air pumps have been around long before MB decided to get their mits on them. The actual rotor length is designed to flow enough air to fill our 8 little pot holes. Volume is determined by rotor length and pressure is dictated by outlet size. After pulling apart the gear house and removing the rotors I noticed that MB have used massive high speed bearings and shafts which I'm quite sure it can handle all the extra stress.

An interesting s/c FAQ link with lots of info on engine wear and longevity: http://www.hi-flow.com/HP4FAQSuper.htm

"Extra pressure to clutch packs cause overheat and failure" I'm yet to see a case. Do you know of any 55 clutch failures that have been published? I would be really interested to see a burnt out solid steel clutch.

Vrus and Finny Danke schön! I not here to fight my english not good but like people no like Klaus for try help, i only want understand for customer, how i know who customer is here, he ask me to check out. I not install for customer because will cost later I sorry for try help Finny i message anyone if need help please message.
Fight ???... Who is here to fight??? I find solutions to real world 55 problems through free thought and critical inquiry.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Guys chill a bit on the (this guy is a fraud) and give him a chance. He is new to the forums and by his own words says his English is not one of his strengths.
If he came on and said it was crap and gave no explanations, then by all means fire away. He is new and might not know the humour that we have on these forums & might been seen differently.
I really enjoy going through these threads and seeing the work of such great men and how they transfer their knowledge and expertise into our cars.
I am sure we are all car enthusiasts here and it is work such as this that helps us reach new plains of understanding for our cars.
Peace out
Old 07-16-2007, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Just got the kit in today V!!!

Thank you so much!!

Can't wait to install!!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Hey Jim,

Mine is coming this week. Let me know how things go on the install so I may share with my MB Guy.......

Good luck......Are you planning on doing a pre and post DYNO. I know there should not be any HP gains so it may be a wasted DYNO expense.

Roland
Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by higginsbeach
Hey Jim,

Mine is coming this week. Let me know how things go on the install so I may share with my MB Guy.......

Good luck......Are you planning on doing a pre and post DYNO. I know there should not be any HP gains so it may be a wasted DYNO expense.

Roland
You should not see choppy lines above 5K rpm. In addition, your A/F ratio should not fall off the charts around the same point. I highly recommend a post dyno..
Old 07-16-2007, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by SleeperX
You should not see choppy lines above 5K rpm. In addition, your A/F ratio should not fall off the charts around the same point. I highly recommend a post dyno..
+1

hey zod, if you dont know, you dont know!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Thanks Vic,

The package arrived safely. Looking forward to the install this week.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I love all this cutting edge stuff. Why aren't we running chains and locked SCs anyway? This belt crap reminds me of the days that timing belts popped left and right.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
I love all this cutting edge stuff. Why aren't we running chains and locked SCs anyway? This belt crap reminds me of the days that timing belts popped left and right.
Chains? As in timing chains?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Chains? As in timing chains?
Haha!! You know it. In all honesty, I do think that MB designed the belt as the weak link. I'm all into getting the most out of these things, but I do worry about adding tension. I definitely believe that these belts slip, but I'm just worried that we will end up with a new weak link if we lock this down.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Haha!! You know it. In all honesty, I do think that MB designed the belt as the weak link. I'm all into getting the most out of these things, but I do worry about adding tension. I definitely believe that these belts slip, but I'm just worried that we will end up with a new weak link if we lock this down.
this kit appears to be designed to reduce slip by increasing contact area not by adding pressure. with the proper size belt i can't see this system adding any more tension to the s/c pulley than oem...but wtf do i know compared to the knowledge and experience chatting in this thread?

Last edited by chiromikey; 07-16-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
21 G63, 21 GLS580, 16 GTS Ed. 1
Got my kit in the mail today. Now I just need install instructions. Anybody?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
it does add tension to the system, did you not see the picture of the tensioner that finny designed to go with it also?? you could wrap that belt around 300degrees and if there is not enough tension it will slip; no slip = more tension.......
Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by jparch
it does add tension to the system, did you not see the picture of the tensioner that finny designed to go with it also?? you could wrap that belt around 300degrees and if there is not enough tension it will slip; no slip = more tension.......
The tensioner is a separate piece, you can run the kit with-out the heavy duty tensioner. It will still work good with the factory tensioner spring because of the increased belt wrap.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Are you planning on doing a pre and post DYNO.
Nah, being lazy on this one. Plus having massive belt problems so I really need to swap out the pullies and then the crank pulley asap.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by jparch
there is also a new secondary idler pulley. so now instead of adding tension in one direction to significantly push against the s/c snout, you have two pulleys adding tension in opposing directions. so yes the belt is tighter around the s/c but the net force against the s/c snout would not appear to be signifcantly increased.

*maybe we're discussing two different things. i'm talking about tension against the s/c snout and i believe you're talking about belt tension. like i said, wtf do i know...
Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 PM

2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Will I be the only one running the complete set on stock Pully's? I am not doing the pully upgrade until I complete phase I......

Roland
Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Why aren't we running chains ............
Noisey as all hell, I suspect. No quite an MB image thing.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:39 PM

03 E55 AMG
Just to clarify a few items...

The added tensioner is spring loaded and is tension adjustable so it actually moves with the stock idler. It supplies some extra tension to the stock s/c idler not locking it up.

There is a new bearing supplied with the kit which is wider than the stock combined idler pulley to strengthen this area. (the one with the accessories and s/c together)

A slightly larger pulley is added to the s/c idler to help gain more s/c pulley foot print area.

The belt supplied is the new Gates fleet runner which is used for large trucks where gates claim 30 to 40% extra life span over their stock belts.

Reinforced, No slip and Longevity! to help efficiency and maximize potential power. Thats the whole idea.

If any one has any install questions, throw them my way.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by Finny
Just to clarify a few items...

The added tensioner is spring loaded and is tension adjustable so it actually moves with the stock idler. It supplies some extra tension to the stock s/c idler not locking it up.

There is a new bearing supplied with the kit which is wider than the stock combined idler pulley to strengthen this area. (the one with the accessories and s/c together)

A slightly larger pulley is added to the s/c idler to help gain more s/c pulley foot print area.

The belt supplied is the new Gates fleet runner which is used for large trucks where gates claim 30 to 40% extra life span over their stock belts.

Reinforced, No slip and Longevity! to help efficiency and maximize potential power. Thats the whole idea.

If any one has any install questions, throw them my way.
does adam have you phone number? he will be installing mine on wed. and i think he has one gettin installed right now.
i will be great advertising for this product cuzz my dyno looks crazy at high rpms. i will do a before and after to show this does or dosnt work. witch im sure it will.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Guys.. Just wanted to add that I am polishing up the install documentation.. I did not want to hold up the boxes from going out so please bear with me while I complete the installation instructions.

Adam @ EE is doing the install for Michael's car and has a preliminary copy of the docs.. Once they are cleaned up, I will post a link for all of you to download.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
So far so good on mine. Pretty easy install so far.

I am trying to do it without taking out the fan so my arms are paying the price, but real nice setup Fin and V!!!

Was hoping to have it done tonight, but just too burnt. Hopefully Tuesday.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 AM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
So far so good on mine. Pretty easy install so far.

I am trying to do it without taking out the fan so my arms are paying the price, but real nice setup Fin and V!!!

Was hoping to have it done tonight, but just too burnt. Hopefully Tuesday.
Thank's, glad you like it.

You must have small arms to get in there.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
Guys.. Just wanted to add that I am polishing up the install documentation.. I did not want to hold up the boxes from going out so please bear with me while I complete the installation instructions.

Adam @ EE is doing the install for Michael's car and has a preliminary copy of the docs.. Once they are cleaned up, I will post a link for all of you to download.
Update:

Michael's E55 is coming in on Wednesday for the V.R.P Xtreme Belt wrap kit install.

Will give updates on Thursday after dyno.

Cheers,

Adam

PS: So far the parts are well constructed. Kudos to Finny and VRUS.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by Finny

Finny is the gates belt the Micro-V series belts ? I cannot find the "fleet runner" series?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** VRP Extreme Belt Wrap Kit ***