Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' E55, 06' Kawasaki ZX-10R
Low power E55 - new Kompressor clutch

Hi,
i got my 03' E55 about 6 weeks ago. While the car is fast, it doesn't quite feel like a low 12 second car. I think the kompressor clutch is bad.
I know the kompressor is running because I felt it shut off once after a couple real hard runs and that was a very dramatic loss.
Right now the car feels like it is good for maybe low 13's in the quarter. I have heard others talk about this part going bad, and I can hear mine chirp on a quick throttle blip etc.

Can someone let me knwo where i can buy this part?

Also, do you think this is the problem?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by StevesAMG
Hi,
i got my 03' E55 about 6 weeks ago. While the car is fast, it doesn't quite feel like a low 12 second car. I think the kompressor clutch is bad.
I know the kompressor is running because I felt it shut off once after a couple real hard runs and that was a very dramatic loss.
Right now the car feels like it is good for maybe low 13's in the quarter. I have heard others talk about this part going bad, and I can hear mine chirp on a quick throttle blip etc.

Can someone let me knwo where i can buy this part?

Also, do you think this is the problem?
it's not the clutch going bad but the intercooler pump. this is extremely common on cars with the old pump and if your dealer doesn't know what to do about your symptoms find a new dealer. if it's out of warranty buy a johnson cm30 pump and you're good to go.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
IC pump..

try turning off ESP and doing a few hard runs.. if you loose power and you stop hearing the kompressor.. you have a bad IC pump.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 PM

2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
While the car is fast, it doesn't quite feel like a low 12 second car. I think the kompressor clutch is bad. . . . Right now the car feels like it is good for maybe low 13's in the quarter. . . . Can someone let me knwo where i can buy this part?
Do some diagnostics first (before buying a new SC clutch).

Put it on a dyno.

Take it to a track and see if it, in fact, runs in the low 12's or in the 13's. (I guess that my sense of speed and distance is not as keen as yours. Sometimes when I have gone to a track and thought that I had a bad run, the timeslip indicates differently. My point is that I would run it at a track instead of relying on the fact that the car “feels like it is good for maybe low 13's.”
Old 07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Steve: Congratulation on E55 and welcome to MBworld.

My best recommendation is to purchase an ODBII scanner. You can find them at PepBoys for low-end units or if you a laptop or PDA go with www.nology.com or similar units.

E55 is complex car and being able to read will help you with maintenance and upgrades.

Now, what you are describing is a very common failure on 55s - intercooler pump. When engine computer sees intake tempreatures exceed 225F, it shut-off the kompressor clutch.

If you have a CPO or extended warranty, than take your car to MB of Torrance and talk to Chris in service, he knows 55s and will take care of you.
If you are out of warranty, we are not too far from you and I have been working on 55s since they first came out in 2002.

Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
+1 on Vadim. The guy really knows his AMG's.

Keep us posted on how you make out.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:42 PM

2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Originally Posted by Vadim@GMGRacing
Steve: Congratulation on E55 and welcome to MBworld.

My best recommendation is to purchase an ODBII scanner. You can find them at PepBoys for low-end units or if you a laptop or PDA go with www.nology.com or similar units.

E55 is complex car and being able to read will help you with maintenance and upgrades.

Now, what you are describing is a very common failure on 55s - intercooler pump. When engine computer sees intake tempreatures exceed 225F, it shut-off the kompressor clutch.

If you have a CPO or extended warranty, than take your car to MB of Torrance and talk to Chris in service, he knows 55s and will take care of you.
If you are out of warranty, we are not too far from you and I have been working on 55s since they first came out in 2002.

Good Luck!
Does anyone here actually use this product and how accurate are they if used as a DYNO?

Roland
Old 07-31-2007, 01:49 PM

A slow Tahoe!
Just had my I/C pump replace on my 03'.........problem seems to be fixed for now. Service adviser told me if the problem persist he would install a after market pump for free. I think he's becoming my best friend.

Now if I could just get him to slide some SLR parts in there I would put him in my will......possibly name my first born after him.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Does anyone here actually use this product and how accurate are they if used as a DYNO?
I have used it over a number of years. As a dyno it is highly dependent upon parameters that you set for your car. Garbage in, garbage out.
It is good for measuring before and after.

As far as ODBII, very nice and easy to use.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Now if I could just get him to slide some SLR parts in there I would put him in my will......possibly name my first born after him.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Almost a Member!

03' E55, 06' Kawasaki ZX-10R
Thanks for the responses guys.....

I am under the impression that with a bad IC pump, the power loss comes from the supercharger just shutting off.....which is a dramatic power loss.(I have experienced this after a few hard runs and that difference was enormous) If I am wrong please let me know.
That is not what I am experiencing...the car still has plenty of power, It just isn't at full power (I have owned/ridden in several low 12 second cars....)

This makes me think I am not at full boost, running very rich, etc.

I did a little more research and it looks like when the S/C clutch goes bad you lose all of the supercharge power too. I hear the "chirp" shich indicated the clutch is engaging.
So now i am thinking that maybe either the belt is slipping(although I don't hear it) or perhaps the computer recall was done in which a few others on the board lost 70 or so rwhp(perhaps I am one of the unlucky ones). That is about how the car feels, it is still fast, but feels to be about a 350rwhp car and not a 420-430rwhp car.
either way, I bought this car for the horsepower and i want it.....I need to get this problem addressed, preferably without coming out of pocket as the car was expensive enough for me.

thoughts?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Steve: When clutch slips, it lets go completely, so it will be very similar to IC pump problem.

How many miles do you have?

Pull off fron engine cover and take a look at the kompressor belt, if it slipping severly, you will see it on the belt and all around.

If you want to chat call me.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:33 PM

2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!

I am under the impression that with a bad IC pump, the power loss comes from the supercharger just shutting off.....which is a dramatic power loss.(I have experienced this after a few hard runs and that difference was enormous) If I am wrong please let me know.
That is not what I am experiencing...the car still has plenty of power, It just isn't at full power (I have owned/ridden in several low 12 second cars....)

I did a little more research and it looks like when the S/C clutch goes bad you lose all of the supercharge power too. I hear the "chirp" shich indicated the clutch is engaging.
So now i am thinking that maybe either the belt is slipping(although I don't hear it) or perhaps the computer recall was done in which a few others on the board lost 70 or so rwhp(perhaps I am one of the unlucky ones). That is about how the car feels, it is still fast, but feels to be about a 350rwhp car and not a 420-430rwhp car.
either way, I bought this car for the horsepower and i want it.....I need to get this problem addressed, preferably without coming out of pocket as the car was expensive enough for me.

thoughts?
Get her DYNOED..........................
Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 PM

A slow Tahoe!

thoughts?

I would have the service adviser check the service records to see if the ECU was ever flashed. And I'm with Higgins....get it DYNOED.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 AM

CL 55 AMG

thoughts?
I hear a chirp coming from my engine compartment also, but only after coming to a stop and driving off slowly. I think I hear it when it shifts into 2nd gear. Any ideas why
Old 09-01-2007, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by mjkusa
I hear a chirp coming from my engine compartment also, but only after coming to a stop and driving off slowly. I think I hear it when it shifts into 2nd gear. Any ideas why
our superchargers are on a clutch system and not operating all the time so it's completely normal to hear the chirp as it engages. just consider it an audible warning to anyone wanting to race you.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
our superchargers are on a clutch system and not operating all the time so it's completely normal to hear the chirp as it engages. just consider it an audible warning to anyone wanting to race you.
I like the chirp,reminds me whats under the hood!