PTE stat and -10C mode...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
PTE stat and -10C mode...

I wonder..How do those 2 mods work together...

Before what I didnt had a PTE stat and had -10C mode...The FANs where working a lot, even in winter times, cause the operating temps would mostly stay bwt 90-100 temps

Now with PTE stat for colder climates installed and -10C mode the FANs dont go ON that often as before and temps mostly stay btw 80-90 on a gauge but not on the ENGINE, in engine the temps are same as before, but due to PTE stat ECU thinks its LOWER and fan dont work that much, unless you make WOT run then it climes to 95 or so....but again that doesnt mean that my engine is runing colder and now the FAN is not working as often, so actually there is even less cooling then before, so then engine should be HOTTER cause it doesnt get than extra little cooling for the FANS, its probably working and gets same cooling from FANs as with stock FAN programming and stat...

This bring to a question:

IF my engine is hotter cause FANS are not working earlier due to PTE stat but ECU thinks its colder due to PTE stat reading, how would engine PERFORM with less cooling but diff Stat readings and ECU getting wrong info ???

If WE think logically Hotter Engine = LESS POWER, but then ECU thinks its COLDER and adjusts timing like it colder = MORE POWER or better enigne performance...but the engine is still HOT cause fan dont operate as mcuh as before

So I am confused how those 2 mods would work together, may something needs to be done, like my to program my FAN to start working -15C not -10 ???

Hope I didnt confuse you...Let ME know what you think

Thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 10:45 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Engine temps

Hi Mikhail; You are very preceptive about your car & it's engine. The engine is running colder, than the stock t-stat setting , enough that with the radiator suction fan reset ,the ECU is not telling the fans to work harder. Doesn't need to ,with a cooler running engine. The -10* C mod / reset is just a Nick name giving by other members on the Forum. I know that somewhere in these threads it was explained,how it really works,but I cann't find the post??
So the fans being quieter / not working as hard as before is common of what you would notice,with the to mods working in harmany. Thats a good thing.
your Dash Gauge updates very slow. This gives the appearance to the driver of a steady temp. So he is not distracted , with rapid gauge movement. If you you a data logger , you would see the temp rise & fall 5 - 6 degrees before you would see a dash gauge movement.

3 things are requested by the Control unit & it is done in percentage Values
#1 ---378 Fan Capacity , Effective ( on / off ratio) stock 60% mod 70%
#2 ---376 Fan Capacity , requested by engine (NotApplicable) on w-209
#3 ---377 Fan Capacity , requested by air Conditioning Stock 60% Mod 70% Attached is an old post by CLK/Slk. {Since this post I have made some changes for cooler region Areas } Mikhail You have those updated mods

11-26-2006, 09:43 PM #7
Clk&Slk

Originally Posted by PTE
I've got over 100 of the stats out there. No, it will not screw up the ECU. Only one complaint on a N/A motor(E-55 W-210) in Northern Cali. I sent him a Taller spring. Fix his coolant below expected range ERR code, It works Great on F/I motors. The Guy's in the E-55 W-211 forums. say it works great for them. They tried the -10 degree fan setting mod first. It helped ,but the fans got extremely loud. The thermostat brought their temps from 200 F range down to 180 - 189 F range. and the fans were not running as hard ? fast. Well with Winter coming on . You might want to do this mod went the car is layed up , when its snowing out. If you got the Kleemann Kompressor set up. You would need to send me the thermostat & hsg assy. They cast up there own Hsg , but transfer the 200 F , MB pieces into it. What I do is completely reverseable and I return the stock pieces. So you can change them back at any time. In just minutes.

I'm not far behind in the Quest of the 1/4 mile times.
I'm currently running a W-209 body style. 12.36 et / 114 mph. With a N/A motor! and you are right once they flag you for going under the 11.50. your a marked man!! . But I've been tossed out of better places for worse things Happy Motoring ___PTE___

PTE, thank you for the mod thermostat. I finally installed it today and like it alot. At first, I was worry because the temp needle doesn't go past the
80c mark when i went on the freeway for about 10 miles. When I got off the freeway, the temp risen up a little past the 80c and stay there. Now, everything seem to work fine and the needle is at 80c mark on a 56F night. Btw, I no longer have the HPS sc on mine CL 55.

I also try the fan mods in the past when I still have the HPS sc on mine CL 55.The -10 degree fan work great but the noise from the fan is very loud when it at full speed and it on most of the times at full speed. It bother me something when I pulled in my garage and the fan is still at full speed and I have to seat there for a minute at least for the engine to cool down before turning off the engine. Now, that I installed "PTE" mod thermostat, I don't even hear the fan turn on (I hope the fan still working :>).)

Well I've got to get back to installing My new Titanium valve Spring retainers , The latest from VRP arsinal of performance parts.

Your COOL Mikhail , I mean really COOL Cheers ___PTE___

Last edited by PTE; 08-18-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by PTE
Hi Mikhail; You are very preceptive about your car & it's engine. The engine is running colder, than the stock t-stat setting , enough that with the radiator suction fan reset ,the ECU is not telling the fans to work harder. Doesn't need to ,with a cooler running engine. The -10* C mod / reset is just a Nick name giving by other members on the Forum. I know that somewhere in these threads it was explained,how it really works,but I cann't find the post??
So the fans being quieter / not working as hard as before is common of what you would notice,with the to mods working in harmany. Thats a good thing.

#3 ---377 Fan Capacity , requested by air Conditioning Stock 60% Mod 70% Attached is an old post by CLK/Slk. {Since this post I have made some changes for cooler region Areas } Mikhail You have those updated mods

Clk&Slk

Originally Posted by PTE
I've got over 100 of the stats out there. No, it will not screw up the ECU. Only one complaint on a N/A motor(E-55 W-210) in Northern Cali. I sent him a Taller spring. Fix his coolant below expected range ERR code, It works Great on F/I motors. The Guy's in the E-55 W-211 forums. say it works great for them. They tried the -10 degree fan setting mod first. It helped ,but the fans got extremely loud. The thermostat brought their temps from 200 F range down to 180 - 189 F range. and the fans were not running as hard ? fast. Well with Winter coming on . You might want to do this mod went the car is layed up , when its snowing out. If you got the Kleemann Kompressor set up. You would need to send me the thermostat & hsg assy. They cast up there own Hsg , but transfer the 200 F , MB pieces into it. What I do is completely reverseable and I return the stock pieces. So you can change them back at any time. In just minutes.

I'm currently running a W-209 body style. 12.36 et / 114 mph. With a N/A motor! and you are right once they flag you for going under the 11.50. your a marked man!! . But I've been tossed out of better places for worse things Happy Motoring ___PTE___

PTE, thank you for the mod thermostat. I finally installed it today and like it alot. At first, I was worry because the temp needle doesn't go past the
80c mark when i went on the freeway for about 10 miles. When I got off the freeway, the temp risen up a little past the 80c and stay there. Now, everything seem to work fine and the needle is at 80c mark on a 56F night. Btw, I no longer have the HPS sc on mine CL 55.

I also try the fan mods in the past when I still have the HPS sc on mine CL 55.The -10 degree fan work great but the noise from the fan is very loud when it at full speed and it on most of the times at full speed. It bother me something when I pulled in my garage and the fan is still at full speed and I have to seat there for a minute at least for the engine to cool down before turning off the engine. Now, that I installed "PTE" mod thermostat, I don't even hear the fan turn on (I hope the fan still working :>).)

Your COOL Mikhail , I mean really COOL

..............PTE, you have a pm

Ted
Old 08-18-2007, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..............PTE, you have a pm

Ted
actually, you have more than that.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:26 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lost E-Mail

Hi Chriomikey ;My Most Hummble Apologies I did respond on the late evening of the 7th. I was out of state , using My corp laptop. Which has a ton of safe Guards. and it was poosible the out going e-mail to you was blocked I was wondering why I did not here back from you.

So here was my offer . I would be glad to do the latest updates & return shipping Free of Charge., But you would be down for 2 weeks , Mainly from shipping ups Ground. My part only takes an 1 hr . If you could send me your T-stat with a UPS quantum view notice, that it has been sent , I'll float / send a new one to you that day. and do an exchange at no Cost. I'll update yours & then resell as a used , but updated . at a reduced price. Hope this is fair and equal exchange . again Thanks for your patience. My real day job keeps me traveling ,alot Cheers ___PTE___
Old 08-18-2007, 12:29 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

response to Teds PM

I have responded. Thanks for the reminder. ___PTE___
Old 08-18-2007, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by PTE
Hi Chriomikey ;My Most Hummble Apologies I did respond on the late evening of the 7th. I was out of state , using My corp laptop. Which has a ton of safe Guards. and it was poosible the out going e-mail to you was blocked I was wondering why I did not here back from you.

So here was my offer . I would be glad to do the latest updates & return shipping Free of Charge., But you would be down for 2 weeks , Mainly from shipping ups Ground. My part only takes an 1 hr . If you could send me your T-stat with a UPS quantum view notice, that it has been sent , I'll float / send a new one to you that day. and do an exchange at no Cost. I'll update yours & then resell as a used , but updated . at a reduced price. Hope this is fair and equal exchange . again Thanks for your patience. My real day job keeps me traveling ,alot Cheers ___PTE___
much appreciated!!! i'll pm you with my email address and we'll go from there.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32
Originally Posted by PTE
Can't ask for better service than that!

It is a great mod. I am very happy with it. Well worth the money!
Old 08-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by PTE
ReFRIGGINdiculous! Thats alomst he numbers I run with my Kleemann supercharged car! Didnt you install a Kleemann s/c now? Any updated numbers?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by 430
Can't ask for better service than that!

It is a great mod. I am very happy with it. Well worth the money!
+1 thats great customer service. i think i might get one just because of it. how much PTE?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Originally Posted by PTE
your Dash Gauge updates very slow. This gives the appearance to the driver of a steady temp. So he is not distracted , with rapid gauge movement. If you you a data logger , you would see the temp rise & fall 5 - 6 degrees before you would see a dash gauge movement.

Clk&Slk

Originally Posted by PTE

Well I've got to get back to installing My new Titanium valve Spring retainers , The latest from VRP arsinal of performance parts.

Your COOL Mikhail , I mean really COOL Cheers ___PTE___
Thanks PTE...I am definately cool NOW
Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
I wonder..How do those 2 mods work together...
So I am confused how those 2 mods would work together, may something needs to be done, like my to program my FAN to start working -15C not -10 ???
If you were to have the temperature in the ECU adjusted down without a cooler thermostat, the ECU commands the fans to increase run to bring the temperature down, but it wouldn't ever get the engine to run cooler because the thermostat was closed.
The fans ran in vain, unable to cool the engine further. You have to have the thermostat open and allow the hot coolant to flow to the radiator for it to be cooled.
After installing the cooler thermostat, your engine is now able to obtain the lower temperature specified by having your ecu's cooling fan setting adjusted to the 10 degree cooler setting. This is why your fans run less.
You should have installed the thermostat first, and then had the ecu adjusted.
Rich
Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
PTE tried to PM you to see when you could mod one for me..

To set the fan at -1xC...I need to get a dealer to do this for me? What is ideal I have been seeing -10 and -12 etc... Is there anywhere or anyone that does this besides the dealer in Scottsdale, AZ?

TIA

Ron
Old 08-19-2007, 07:57 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Replied

Hi Ron; I reply via My Home E-mail about 1hr ago Cheers ___PTE___
Old 08-19-2007, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Patty I am going to frame this!

12.36 et / 114 mph
W209 CLK55 N/A
Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
got it patrick..thanks...look forward to getting one
Old 08-20-2007, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.........does anyone know anywhere in South Florida where one can get the 160 degree thermostat and -10 degree fan mod done? Info appreciated.

Ted
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM

All of them!
.........does anyone know anywhere in South Florida where one can get the 160 degree thermostat and -10 degree fan mod done? Info appreciated.

Ted
Is this for the E55?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by mbenzman
Is this for the E55?
...........yes. The G is very happy after you fixed it.

ted
Old 08-20-2007, 10:49 AM

All of them!

ted
How the CLK's temps?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:00 AM

All of them!

ted
Be aware that you are using either the n/a w210 e55 stock short neck thermostat or a special "Kleemann built" housing thermostat on that car.
Your CLK has the Kleemann housing version.
If you tell the mechanic about the 10 degree mod, he will not know what you are referring to, or how to find the adjustment.
Do this only if you have a cooler thermostat already installed. Ask to talk to the mechanic working on your car. Tell him to go into the engine adaptations and then suction fan. Adjust the temperature up not down the full 10 degrees.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by mbenzman
Be aware that you are using either the n/a w210 e55 stock short neck thermostat or a special "Kleemann built" housing thermostat on that car.
Your CLK has the Kleemann housing version.
If you tell the mechanic about the 10 degree mod, he will not know what you are referring to, or how to find the adjustment.
Do this only if you have a cooler thermostat already installed. Ask to talk to the mechanic working on your car. Tell him to go into the engine adaptations and then suction fan. Adjust the temperature up not down the full 10 degrees.
..............I need to install the cooler thermostat first, but don't know who to go to here. My W210 has the stock W210 thermostat, so looks like I will need the modified housing plus the cooler thermostat. A lot of modified AMG's in south Florida, but scarcity of info. Very strange. As for the 10 degree fan mod. I do have the print out of how to do it. But I just need to find a capable shop. Thanks. Are you sure you don't want to relocate to South Florida?

Ted
Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 AM

All of them!
..............I need to install the cooler thermostat first, but don't know who to go to here. My W210 has the stock W210 thermostat, so looks like I will need the modified housing plus the cooler thermostat. A lot of modified AMG's in south Florida, but scarcity of info. Very strange. As for the 10 degree fan mod. I do have the print out of how to do it. But I just need to find a capable shop. Thanks. Are you sure you don't want to relocate to South Florida?Ted

I been told that I need to relocate to Ohio, N.J., S.C., etc. It'll spread me a little too thin.
How about having a Mad Dr./scientest buddy of yours throw me through a replicator machine?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mad Doctor

I'm trying to do a Drive by ___PTE___