Cats - how restrictive are they?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Cats - how restrictive are they?

Has anyone looked inside of the primary cats and the secondary cats. Pictures would be great. Thinking of removing one or the other, as I don't think my car needs both. Is one more restrictive than the other?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Has anyone looked inside of the primary cats and the secondary cats. Pictures would be great. Thinking of removing one or the other, as I don't think my car needs both. Is one more restrictive than the other?
The primary cats are more restrictive, removing them yields about 7-10 rwhp.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by rflow306
Thanks.. What about replacing them with racing cats? Can you or anyone else recommend a good set of racing cats? Thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
+1 +1

These are the ones i'm using and they have been highly recommended Frank!
Everyone trie to copy them and put out fakes as well.

http://www.metalcat.com.au/

Last edited by ProjectC55; 08-21-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PTE and myself use this companies resonator

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...0f37fa193aae2c
Old 08-21-2007, 11:10 AM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
+1 +1

These are the ones i'm using and they have been highly recommended Frank!
Everyone trie to copy them and put out fakes as well.

http://www.metalcat.com.au/
Didnt see any prices. What do they charge for the 3in cats? I take it they are 200 cell?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
ъ

Frank,

I looked at both and they are pretty restrictive...Definately remove PRIMARY CATS !!! The car will pass emissions with just secondary cats...

Primary Cats give the most POWER...As Cory Kleemann said 15HP at the wheels on Dyno and you car feel it...

Its not hard to remove them and make long tubes instead, place you rear O2 sensors which are behind Primary cats, behind the Secodary cats and you wont have any SES light and wont have to adjsut your ECU ...just extend wire by wire...its not very hard to do...

I went throught this...I had regular bolt headers before...then remove Primary Cats and later Secondary...

Secodary Cats dont make to much power, and again Vadim and Cory told ME they aree they are least worth 5-10HP at the crank...

I WOULD NOT reccomend removing just Secondaries and keeping Primaries...As I beleive, the system becomes too Freeflowing after Primary Cats (if primaries a not removed) and you could loose torgues !!!

IMHO here not enough FLOW rate since Primaries are restricting the flow and not enough flow from Primary Cats for gases to leave fast enough with Secodaries removed, cuase again primaries reduce that speed...and that us why Vic55 lossed torgues before when he removed Secodaries and installed E.Race mufflers...

So basiaclly gases come fast to Primaries then slow down and then if we remove Secodary cats the speed increeases but not from the Headers but from Primaries and that is not the same...not enough pressure from primaries, since speed and decreased and the rest of the exhaust to to freem so gases stqay longer inthe system or something like this...

The system becomes to freeflowing for gases to leave fast enough or may be the gases get colder and that means the dont leave the system fast enough, cause the slowed down already...anyways that my theory...every one knows that LONG TUBES Header make the most POWER !!!

Its hard to explain...just remove Primary Cats and you will be happy my friend
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
Didnt see any prices. What do they charge for the 3in cats? I take it they are 200 cell?
Yes they are 200 cell cats. I will investigate pricing for you as I got mine from BMS a performance muffler shop in Colorado.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
ъ

Frank,

I looked at both and they are pretty restrictive...Definately remove PRIMARY CATS !!! The car will pass emissions with just secondary cats...

Primary Cats give the most POWER...As Cory Kleemann said 15HP at the wheels on Dyno and you car feel it...

Its not hard to remove them and make long tubes instead, place you rear O2 sensors which are behind Primary cats, behind the Secodary cats and you wont have any SES light and wont have to adjsut your ECU ...just extend wire by wire...its not very hard to do...

I went throught this...I had regular bolt headers before...then remove Primary Cats and later Secondary...

Secodary Cats dont make to much power, and again Vadim and Cory told ME they aree they are least worth 5-10HP at the crank...

I WOULD NOT reccomend removing just Secondaries and keeping Primaries...As I beleive, the system becomes too Freeflowing after Primary Cats (if primaries a not removed) and you could loose torgues !!!

IMHO here not enough FLOW rate since Primaries are restricting the flow and not enough flow from Primary Cats for gases to leave fast enough with Secodaries removed, cuase again primaries reduce that speed...and that us why Vic55 lossed torgues before when he removed Secodaries and installed E.Race mufflers...

So basiaclly gases come fast to Primaries then slow down and then if we remove Secodary cats the speed increeases but not from the Headers but from Primaries and that is not the same...not enough pressure from primaries, since speed and decreased and the rest of the exhaust to to freem so gases stqay longer inthe system or something like this...

The system becomes to freeflowing for gases to leave fast enough or may be the gases get colder and that means the dont leave the system fast enough, cause the slowed down already...anyways that my theory...every one knows that LONG TUBES Header make the most POWER !!!

Its hard to explain...just remove Primary Cats and you will be happy my friend
+1 +1 +1
I agree with Russ 100%. If it were my car I'd get rid of the primaries and replace the secondaries with the Metal Cats. And like Chiromikey has done I highly advise adding a X-pipe in the system I believe just after the Cats. He can give you more of a low down on that with pics I might add.

PS I modded my O2's the exac way Russ did as well. No SES lights no nothing. Never had to modify my ECU as well.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 08-21-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
iirc, the primary and secondary are both 400 cel cats of identical design. the reason to remove primary over secondary has to do with location rather than the cat itself and removing primaries has been said to yield more hp gains than removing the secondary.

is it safe to assume you already have shorty headers?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chiromikey
iirc, the primary and secondary are both 400 cel cats of identical design. the reason to remove primary over secondary has to do with location rather than the cat itself and removing primaries has been said to yield more hp gains than removing the secondary.

Chiro can you post a pic of your system again so Frank could see the X-pipe location. I hope Frank won't get mad but yes he has shorties(Renntech).
Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

yes.. thanks everyone.. Think I might remove the primaries and replace the resonator and the secondary cats with racing cats. Will this make my car louder? I hope not...
Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 PM

E55
Chiromikey, please post a pic of x-pipe!

Also a pic on removed primary cats and replacement pipe would be very nice.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mercixus
Chiromikey, please post a pic of x-pipe!

Also a pic on removed primary cats and replacement pipe would be very nice.
Well the long tube headers Chiro has eliminates the Primary cats,goes to the x-pipe and then out to the new secondary cats I believe.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes.. thanks everyone.. Think I might remove the primaries and replace the resonator and the secondary cats with racing cats. Will this make my car louder? I hope not...
An increase in exh flow or diameter is gonna raise the volume of your exh. You hear my car.

But it does not mean that yours will be as loud. But it will be louder than it is now. Much Quieter than Will's,Joons and Jody's cars if you don't use the Eisenman exh . I still have my stck muffler on and I think Chiro did as well.

The decrease in weight alone will have you feeling a difference I might add.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Does anyone know the width of the stock exhaust. Trying to figure out what size cats and resonator to buy.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i've got a complete system with oem mufflers and it's not loud at all...minimally noticable over oem imho. however, with the corsa aftermarket mufflers i've tested it's a BEAST!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
i've got a complete system with oem mufflers and it's not loud at all...minimally noticable over oem imho. however, with the corsa aftermarket mufflers i've tested it's a BEAST!

how much and how soon can you ship it to NYC?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
So are you running only 1 set of cats and no resonators?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

how much and how soon can you ship it to NYC?
LOL! I told you it's a thing of beauty. Who do you think gave me the idea of how to build my exh!

Junior at RCT can build you the same system unless Chiro has one made already. I'd perhaps get Chiro to have the headers built if you are interested in those and let Junior build the rest of the exh for you!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So are you running only 1 set of cats and no resonators?
He has no primaries! The reso's will quiet the car some since you don't want the car to sound crazy.The long tube headers eliminated the primary cats.. I'd ask him what is the diameter of the Cats and the rest of the exh piping!

Hopefully Chiro can post a dyno as well and give us some idea of how the car feels.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 08-21-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Any one have a picture of the stock exhaust sytem?
Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any one have a picture of the stock exhaust sytem?
Vrus has a post with a pic of the stck exh system in his "70mm exh" thread that he started. He uses a H pipe on his exh and that's not the best way to go. X-pipe is the ticket. Junior can hook it up for u bro!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
The stock exhaust system after the primary cats is actually quite good and will support a lot of horsepower. Modding the factory exhaust will yield minimal results at best from my experience.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
The stock exhaust system after the primary cats is actually quite good and will support a lot of horsepower. Modding the factory exhaust will yield minimal results at best from my experience.
Even the cats? Thinking about removing the primary cats and replacing the secondary cats with racing cats..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cats - how restrictive are they?