Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Thanks Luke...

What tyre pressure do you reccomend ???

Also does 275/30 vs 285/30 on 19 wheels have any affect in performance in 1/4 ???
Old 09-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 E55
My mistake for not recognizing that you were asking about STOCK tires. I was giving advice on Drag radials. Had I known we were talking street tires my advice would have been to get DR's and use some VHT.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by siswati
Hi Russ

There are several who have commented that there is no point to doing a burnout with street tires. However my experience contradicts this completely. I have done approximately 70 trips down the 1/4mile in both E55 and CLS55 cars. My best 60ft times were always after a healthy burnout. And I have some pretty quick 60ft times for stock tires many in the 1.78 second range.

My fastest 1/4 mile times were done as follows

rear tires 25 psi
fronts 40psi
1/2 fuel tank or less
drive around the water (street tire treads will track water to the launch)
ESP off
Comfort suspension setting
S mode tranny
1st gear
let other guy do his burnout first and stage first - you want to arrive at the line with hot sticky tires
do a decent burnout to warm tires (several disagree with me on this saying it doesnt help street tires, but my 60ft times vary greatly depending on length of burnout)
make sure you re-select 1st gear again after burnout - it will have changed to 2nd
ESP off (after I learned how to launch, my runs became MUCH faster with ESP OFF)
left foot on brake, right foot on accelerator
1000 RPM pre-load
After light changes, when ready, foot off brake and gently roll on the gas until rear sits and squats, and then floor it
My advice in the beginning is to ignore the lights - only launch when you are calm ready and in control - ignore the guy next to you, let him go.

Hope this helps

um don't you have 030 package which includes LSD? which might help with digg take offs?
hmmm i have to try launches with esp off and see if i can get the hang of it.... had a near fatal experience with it once