Sponsored by:

Just replaced I/C pump - Can't believe the difference

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Smile Just replaced I/C pump - Can't believe the difference

I have a 2003 E55 that came off warranty early 5/07. Nonetheless, I heard so much about I/C pump problems that I asked my dealer to replace under warranty. He said MB technician was available to test car and would replace if needed.

As I drove car to dealer some 20 miles, I made repeated 50 to 80 MPH runs to try to determine if I was losing power. Car seemed to run fine as usual so I figured I didn't have a pump problem.

I just got back from dealer and found that he replaced pump as well as some fuses (I have to find out what the problem was with the fuses. Service was closed.) He also performed "F" service. All work was done under warranty even though warranty expired in May.

On the way home I repeated 50 to 80 runs and the difference was unbelieveable. I really did not appreciate that I had a problem before I/C pump replacement. Car seemed quick, I had beaten several vettes, and other hi performance cars from the dig and thought everything was OK. However, I always thought car was a little weak in roll ons. Not anymore!!!

After a stop at the market, I decided to see if the improvement on the bottom end was as impressive as roll ons. In the past I could always spin the tires from the dig, but tires would usually bite after initial spin at about 10or 15 MPH. I could barely spin the tires after rolling and they would hardly squeal.

I have relatively new PS'2 (2,000 miles). I was on good blacktop so I figured this would be a good test. I accelerated to about 20 MPH in first gear (ESP on) then rolled on the gas. To my amazement ESP flashed and tires squealed until I backed off the gas.

I cannot believe the power of these cars when their potential is unlocked. I just figured my car was a dog compared to other stock E55's I had read about on this forum. Not anymore. I wonder how many other E55 owners are like me? Thinking their cars are quick, but not realizing they are only getting 75% of their true potential.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Coalman
I wonder how many other E55 owners are like me? Thinking their cars are quick, but not realizing they are only getting 75% of their true potential.
How did everyone think those AMG vs M vids were made?

Glad to see you found the problem.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
classic but oh so damn true
Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 PM

07' M5
I hope everyone brings their new IC Pumps to the Texas DFW Shootout!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 PM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
Originally Posted by tjav8b
I hope everyone brings their new IC Pumps to the Texas DFW Shootout!
I'm getting mine changed on monday. It feels pretty strong now. If it gets any stronger after the change, then the M's are gonna have a problem
Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 PM

07' M5
Hey Steve...I'm still on the fence if I am going to be able to make it to the Shootout or not. It looks like Darren has a nice show so far with a good mix between M's and MB's (stock/modded). It will be a good time. Hopefully you guys won't be sending us home spending big $$$ for more modds!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:36 PM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
Originally Posted by tjav8b
Hey Steve...I'm still on the fence if I am going to be able to make it to the Shootout or not. It looks like Darren has a nice show so far with a good mix between M's and MB's (stock/modded). It will be a good time. Hopefully you guys won't be sending us home spending big $$$ for more modds!
I'm sure it'll be a great time.

Hopefully you can make it.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:54 AM

Interlagos Blue 06 M5
Originally Posted by ChicagoX

Glad to see you found the problem.
Yeah but when those pesky AMG pulling M5 videos pop up makes me think the M5 wasn't in S6 P500. Hey they're both awesome cars. Seems to me it's more driver than anything stock vs. stock.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:48 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
I agree....its the driver that makes the difference in the Ms

I've seen and been in some slow M5/6s, but I've also seen and been in some devilishly fast ones as well....It's really the driver. IT takes a lot to be able to drive the Ms really really well. And the ones that do drive it to full potential, much respect to you guys....
Old 08-31-2007, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I drove my o3 with the OEM pump for a few months and as soon as I installed the ASP pulley, I noticed the difference.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the pump. It made a big difference, since I was able to keep the power without loosing it.

The a good IC pump does not make more power but lets you keep the power going.

I'm installing the johnson next week. I want to start working on lower my ITA temps, since ASP pullies run hot and with the So Cal weather, its hurting performance a bit.