W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RENNtech intercooler kit upgrade installed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Fikse
looks like the evo flows down half the cores and comes back the in other half, is that what you mean by double pass?
Yep,thats what it is.

Can you drop me a pm with the price on this kit and the labor for the install...if your comfortable with it of course.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
so no advantage of "double pass" then...... you're either going through all the cores at once (renntech), or half of them (evo).....

kit was $3,500 + install (3 hours of labor)

Originally Posted by Jrocket
Yep,thats what it is.

Can you drop me a pm with the price on this kit and the labor for the install...if your comfortable with it of course.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
so no advantage of "double pass" then...... you're either going through all the cores at once (renntech), or half of them (evo).....

kit was $3,500 + install (3 hours of labor)
I cant give you an exact answer on the advantages or which is better,and it's one of those topics that can be debated till death.I like the evo style due to hose connections being both on one sdie,cold water has a more direct path back to the core(somewhat).But I do like the cross flow like the Renntechs unit.The unit might have better cooling capabilities this way,this is where the endless debates will come in...
Old 07-10-2008, 02:55 PM

2004 E55
My car had lost it punch in the lower gears towards the higher RPM's and after a burst from 0-110 MPH would have the supercharger shut down for 5 minutes or so until things cooled down. Typical symptoms of intercooler pump failure. Instead of taking it to the dealer for the same bum pump replacement I took the car to RENNtech and had them install their upgrade kit which includes a new, much larger pump, and an additional intercooler.

The problem was the pump, we put the old pump on a test bench and tried to power it up and nothing happened. On the test drive the low end grunt is back, and the car pulls hard on the top end. It's nice to be able to repeatedly hammer on the car without losing power, even in 95 degree weather! I attached some pics....
I am about to get one of these. I like the idea that I can get the work done at the Mercedes dealer and have a 2 year warranty on it. Also because the guy who founded Renntech was at AMG for 12 years. My questions are:

1). Had you considered replacing the OEM pump before going with this setup? I had mine replaced at dealer but still have some power loss on hot days. Wondering if air might be in lines?

2). Does the zip tie on passenger side of intercooler holding up the bottom tube stay in place after install, or is that temporary before they hook up the hose?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 07-10-2008, 05:59 PM

Do they have a cooling upgrade for the S55?
Will
Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
looks like some of the fins were already damaged
Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Honda
Originally Posted by jangy
Why RT over EVO? I would guess because he got RennTech to install it. I wouldn't buy ANY RennTech on the west coast until you find someone that you really trust to do the install. I'm not sure exactly what criteria, if any, RennTech puts on its distributors with respect to using qualified technicians.
sounds great, what about people in the south (texas) RT or EVO, or perhaps other suggestions?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by miladjuckel
sounds great, what about people in the south (texas) RT or EVO, or perhaps other suggestions?
I'd say find the shop that will be doing your work and see who they have the best relationship with. Neither setup is anything special, so I'd go by price. There are newer ones out and it also depends on your phyilosophy on it. I am going to make my own "custom" one from the parts that some members here have made. Key for me is to have the two cooling systems (engine vs SC) separated. That is big and cheaper.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:29 AM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Suprfknman
Do they have a cooling upgrade for the S55?
Will
Dont waste your money, do as I did and upgrade the pump on the cooling system. Our car have a larger heat exchanger than the other Kompressor cars.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 AM

Which pump did you use?
Will
Old 07-11-2008, 10:31 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Suprfknman
Which pump did you use?
Will
I went with the cm30. Got in on ebay but I believe one of the sponsers offer them.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
my pump was dead, so I just did the kit while they were in there.... you can get most E55's with the stock setup to shutdown the supercharger on really hot days if you keep hammering the car....

that zip tie was just temporary while they were working on the car....

Originally Posted by E55Houston
I am about to get one of these. I like the idea that I can get the work done at the Mercedes dealer and have a 2 year warranty on it. Also because the guy who founded Renntech was at AMG for 12 years. My questions are:

1). Had you considered replacing the OEM pump before going with this setup? I had mine replaced at dealer but still have some power loss on hot days. Wondering if air might be in lines?

2). Does the zip tie on passenger side of intercooler holding up the bottom tube stay in place after install, or is that temporary before they hook up the hose?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 07-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Shaun
Dont waste your money, do as I did and upgrade the pump on the cooling system. Our car have a larger heat exchanger than the other Kompressor cars.
CM30 is not an upgrade in cooling capacity, just life of pump. At least rewire it to run when the car is running. A larger He is good, but a bandaid. Separate the SC cooling from the hot motor for real results.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:50 PM

2004 E55
my pump was dead, so I just did the kit while they were in there.... you can get most E55's with the stock setup to shutdown the supercharger on really hot days if you keep hammering the car....

that zip tie was just temporary while they were working on the car....
Hey, thanks for the reply! I was wondering if I had another bad pump already, but it sounds like it will heat soak in 96 degree ambient temp even with a working stock pump. (Guess the car works fine in Germany's weather.) Anyway, I am going to bite the bullet and do it. Might help the engine last longer to boot. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:46 PM

06 e55 wagon
I thought Renntech used the Johnson CM-90 pump.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
CM30 is not an upgrade in cooling capacity, just life of pump. At least rewire it to run when the car is running. A larger He is good, but a bandaid. Separate the SC cooling from the hot motor for real results.
CM030 outflows stock pump, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

My systems are not separated and it didn't seem to get in the way of a 11.59 quarter-mile on stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
pretty sure they do not use that pump.....

Originally Posted by joshd
I thought Renntech used the Johnson CM-90 pump.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
CM030 outflows stock pump, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

My systems are not separated and it didn't seem to get in the way of a 11.59 quarter-mile on stock exhaust manifolds.
I guess by specifications, they do. I just remembered a member doing a study a while back comparing the flow of the OEM vs CM30 and the difference was negligable at best. I'm not bashing anyone for doing it, just want them to make sure they understand what they are doing. You ran a good track time but that doesn't mean that a proper cooling and header setup wouldn't add to your traps.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I thought RennTech used the Bosch model??
Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 AM

2006 E55
Separate the SC cooling from the hot motor for real results.
So true....Can't understand why MB bundled it all together to begin with.

If you isolate the circut and run the pump all the time the intercooler itself will act as a heat exchanger when off boost. The larger the fluid capacity the better.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by C32madness
So true....Can't understand why MB bundled it all together to begin with...
Probably to be able to use a single reservoir and the associated cost savings, IMO.