Sponsored by:

Replaced Wobbling Pulley...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Replaced Wobbling Pulley...

So, after all the talk on the forum I decided to have my pulley replaced by Renntech. I spoke to Ken and James from Creative and they were more than willing to help me out.

Honestly, I have never had any issues with my car, belts, etc but it has only been 5k miles so i wanted out before any issues could arise.

I was anxious to see what my keyway, pulley and everything else looked like since everyone else has had some issues. My OEM pulley has the same mark as all the other pulley's that have been posted on this forum. My replacement pulley is Renntech's old version versus the dampr version that is on my car currently.

So, after James pulled off my dampr pulley the car had no seal leaks, the keyway was in perfect shape and the pulley did not have a mark on it. I was sort of concerned since I do have a number of mods and I am not that gentle with my car.

I guess the point of my post is that a wobble does not always mean that your car is getting destroyed. My new pulley is laser staright and in process of getting its *** beat.

Thanks again James and Ken for stepping up and helping me out!!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Glad it went well and you got the upgraded pulley. I think there was a bit of excitement over nothing. I was just in Costa Mesa yesterday to have my HEM and CF box installed and took a nice look at my pulley. If it weren't so far, I'd have gone back today to do some cleanup work on my car. You are at least lucky you have a place in SD that you trust..
Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 AM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Thanks!!

I agree that everyone may have become too excited but at the same time the forums are here to help members become aware of everything and anything...
Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Originally Posted by psuball1
Thanks!!

I agree that everyone may have become too excited but at the same time the forums are here to help members become aware of everything and anything...
Well put.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Thanks!!

So the new pulley that they just put on is the RennTech upgrade pulley or is it the original RennTech pulley? Are there any size differences between the two pullies?

Was the transaction really smooth with Creative?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
So the new pulley that they just put on is the RennTech upgrade pulley or is it the original RennTech pulley? Are there any size differences between the two pullies?

I think he got the updated pulley () and I am sure all was well with Creative. The new design is the same size. They were initially intending to release a larger version, but backed out. Wait!! Was this the first time Creative did the install? HAHA!!!...
Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 PM

2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
You guys in SoCal are lucky have someone local you trust to do mods.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:56 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)

The pulley was actually their original style. I guess the fluid dampr pulley has had some issues. For the most part their new style has been working out with no wobbles but I was not that lucky.

The pulley is the exact same size 168mm

Creative has always been a smooth operation for me. I know that some people have had some issues but for me all is good!!
Old 07-16-2008, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
The pulley was actually their original style. I guess the fluid dampr pulley has had some issues. For the most part their new style has been working out with no wobbles but I was not that lucky.

The pulley is the exact same size 168mm

Creative has always been a smooth operation for me. I know that some people have had some issues but for me all is good!!
That's very interesting........ this means their original pulley is better than their new upgraded pulley. It seems backward. Did they ever try another damper pulley before going back to the original one?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
man, I dont want to hear that the new style has issues. I guess I should have stuck with my original pulley.... Seemed to wobble less than the newer one.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
That's very interesting........ this means their original pulley is better than their new upgraded pulley. It seems backward. Did they ever try another damper pulley before going back to the original one?
They gave me the option of trying another dampr pulley but I opted for the old style. I just wanted to be sure that I had no issues.

I think the gel inside the new style pulley is getting moved around and affecting the balance, just a thought!!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
WHAT?? But you paid for a new one!! I thought you were gonna get the new style, too.

LOL@Charles....

I'm personally torn between the pulley wobbling at idle and not. Since the centrifugal forces are lower at lower RPMs, it seems logical that the belt tensions, etc could be acting on the OUTER side while the INNER side is bound to the crankshaft. With a solid setup (ala EVO), you would not see that idle wobble, because it will always be tightly bound to the crankshaft. The tension is still there. But there is no dampening going on. Does it matter? I dunno, but just a thought. I am basically saying not to judge your pulleys by a slight wobble at idle. that may be a good thing. I'd be most concerned with that seal. If it is good, you are likely not bending the crank.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
All was good for me, too. i was over there everyday. It does suck. There was so much potential for having a fun place. But, no worries though, we will soon have a shop setup for chillin and tuning in San Diego....It won't be to compete with Creative but to cater to the few..
Old 07-16-2008, 04:10 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Originally Posted by jangy
WHAT?? But you paid for a new one!! I thought you were gonna get the new style, too.

LOL@Charles....

I'm personally torn between the pulley wobbling at idle and not. Since the centrifugal forces are lower at lower RPMs, it seems logical that the belt tensions, etc could be acting on the OUTER side while the INNER side is bound to the crankshaft. With a solid setup (ala EVO), you would not see that idle wobble, because it will always be tightly bound to the crankshaft. The tension is still there. But there is no dampening going on. Does it matter? I dunno, but just a thought. I am basically saying not to judge your pulleys by a slight wobble at idle. that may be a good thing. I'd be most concerned with that seal. If it is good, you are likely not bending the crank.
I did the swap because I really wanted to see what the pulley, seal, keyway and so on looked like. I was never really worried about the wobble but then again I did not want to have an issue "IF" in the future it did come back to haunt me.

At this point anyone with a wobble slight or not should remove their pulleys and take a look of what it looks like behind there. eace of mind is always good!!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I did the swap because I really wanted to see what the pulley, seal, keyway and so on looked like. I was never really worried about the wobble but then again I did not want to have an issue "IF" in the future it did come back to haunt me.

At this point anyone with a wobble slight or not should remove their pulleys and take a look of what it looks like behind there. eace of mind is always good!!
So does the current pulley you have on the car now woble at all or is wobble free? Even at low speeds?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
So does the current pulley you have on the car now woble at all or is wobble free? Even at low speeds?
laser straight!! Not a bit of movement...