Sponsored by:

More Fun with a C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Smile More Fun with a C6 Z06

Just for the record, I am not claiming that I beat a C6 Z06 in any way, shape or form. However, I just had an encounter with a new Z06 following the replacement of my I/C pump and have renewed respect for the beast.

As I stated in a prior post, I was amazed at the improvement in performance, particulary on the top end, after I replaced the I/C pump. The car felt much more muscular and even sounded different.

So I'm stopped at a light and a new Z06 pulls behind me. The guy at the wheel looks like the same guy who previously taunted me by slowing down then flooring it several times as I cruised up next to him. Previously I didn't try to race him 1) because it is a Z06 and 2) because my car (pre I/C pump replacement) always felt a little weak on the top end.

Anyway, I now feel like the 98 pound weakling who has put on about 50 pounds of muscle after getting sand kicked in his face, so I decide to see if he wants to play. Sure enough as I pull slowly away from the light he pulls into the right lane to blow by me. I can hear his engine screaming and immediately floor my car as well.

The E55 pulled like a locomotive in second gear, which usually seems a little weak. He never got past my rear bumper before we both quit at around 80 MPH. We both slowed down and as he pass me he just looked ahead despite my efforts to give him the thumbs up.

Could he have walked past me if we had continued? Of course!! But I think he and I were both surprised at the trouble he had. On the street at only mildly insane speeds the E55 can run with anyone and that's all I really want. At speeds above 80, I'm not interested.

I have a whole new respect for the beast.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Sounds like fun. No question our E55s are amazing vehicles -- in a class by themselves.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:58 PM

E 211
Originally Posted by Coalman
Just for the record, I am not claiming that I beat a C6 Z06 in any way, shape or form. However, I just had an encounter with a new Z06 following the replacement of my I/C pump and have renewed respect for the beast.

As I stated in a prior post, I was amazed at the improvement in performance, particulary on the top end, after I replaced the I/C pump. The car felt much more muscular and even sounded different.

So I'm stopped at a light and a new Z06 pulls behind me. The guy at the wheel looks like the same guy who previously taunted me by slowing down then flooring it several times as I cruised up next to him. Previously I didn't try to race him 1) because it is a Z06 and 2) because my car (pre I/C pump replacement) always felt a little weak on the top end.

Anyway, I now feel like the 98 pound weakling who has put on about 50 pounds of muscle after getting sand kicked in his face, so I decide to see if he wants to play. Sure enough as I pull slowly away from the light he pulls into the right lane to blow by me. I can hear his engine screaming and immediately floor my car as well.

The E55 pulled like a locomotive in second gear, which usually seems a little weak. He never got past my rear bumper before we both quit at around 80 MPH. We both slowed down and as he pass me he just looked ahead despite my efforts to give him the thumbs up.

Could he have walked past me if we had continued? Of course!! But I think he and I were both surprised at the trouble he had. On the street at only mildly insane speeds the E55 can run with anyone and that's all I really want. At speeds above 80, I'm not interested.

I have a whole new respect for the beast.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
instead of giving him a thumbsup, u should've done the jerkoff
Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Don't be smoking any weed in the 55...
Old 09-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Banned

SL55 AMG, M5 E60, 2002 S55 AMG, Range Rover Sport Supercharged,
Nice! Great!

But what about the M5/M6? I hear they're faster and will pull on the AMGs at speeds above 100 mph....

But then again...I COULD be wrong.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Fun as can be isn't it!

I will usually race anything if the conditions are safe even if I know I'm going to lose just for the sheer excitment of it all. I've now lost to two Z06 Vettes in the past month but both were closer than either the Z06 driver or myself thought they would be. Both races started at speed where the Vette is impossible to beat. Haven't raced one from a dig but I'm looking forward to the opportunity. I think we have a better chance from a dig as the Vette takes talent to launch properly.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SoS SWATxV2
Nice! Great!

But what about the M5/M6? I hear they're faster and will pull on the AMGs at speeds above 100 mph....

But then again...I COULD be wrong.
LOL!

stock they are.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned

SL55 AMG, M5 E60, 2002 S55 AMG, Range Rover Sport Supercharged,
Trust me. I have much more respect for standard stock cars....

Not sure why M cars would pull on AMGs on higher top end... I was 100 percent sure that my SL55 AMG was faster in a straightline than my M5 at all speeds...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:45 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
I can't believe how many people on this site street race!!!
I hold no stock in street racing. Did you start even, was the person in the correct gear (manuals), traffic, etc,etc.
A Maxima could probably keep up with a 55 in a street race. Only place that matters is on the track.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
I'm not sure about a Maxima, but to Venom's point, when I was young and stupid I would race my buddy who had a 928S4 in my Volvo 850 with 168 hp and I could crush him in a race through traffic as I was 300% crazier than he was. Passing, sliding the car, running lig... well, lets just say street racing isn't always about the vehicle or the driver, but is frequently about who is more reckless, who is willing to take more risks. People were afraid to drive with me. I got lucky, no one got hurt when I rolled my Porsche on Storrow Drive at what the police say was 80 plus...Fun until someone loses a body part, or worse.

If anyone has seen the aftermath of a street race gone bad, you know what I'm talking about. I don't want to sound preachy here, but I had a girl recently cut me off on the highway while she was racing another person, she lost it, crashed into the guardrail. No seatbelt, began bouncing around in her car like a bloody ping pong ball. (and I'm not british.) After she bounced of the first guardrail, she careened across the highway and hit another guardrail (she was at this point stuffed in the passenger footwell). A final bounce and she went head on into the center median. I almost hit her three times, but was braking heavily the whole time. luckily, we administered first aid, and she lived, but it kinda takes the street race out of you. It makes me think of all of the massively stupid sh-t I survived in my teens and 20's and count my blessings.

Now, if I want to race, I pay the 20 bucks, run at a drag strip. Plus the occasional 0 to 15 over the speed limit on the street if it's not in traffic. No one is an angel.

Last edited by Zax63; 09-10-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: omitted word