New Engine or New Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by nsxt1
Thank you all for your info on my S65 oil consumption issue. Just for the recored I paid cash for my car not a lease, now I wish I did. I am buring approx. 2 quarts of oil every 1500 to 2500 miles!!!! That can not be normal???? I spoke with the MB Tech today when dropping my car off and he admited that it needs new rings and cyc. Sorry I am not a tech- person at all, so I am not up on tech terms. But I am a sales person, and I was never told the car would burn oil like that. I am sticking to my guns and going to fight this one out. Replace the engine would kill resale value, not that all the problems so far are helping!!!!! MB needs to make it right!!!!! But, thanks again for all the feedback, I look forward to more. I will give an update as soon as I hear from MB.
That is excessive. I would demand a new engine. A fresh AMG-assembled engine from Germany should be a plus for resale. Having local techs rebuild it would not be a good idea. If you play hardball you'll get your new engine. It's the only officially sanctioned repair for excessive oil consumption. A quart per 750 is excessive by MB specification. Do not let them open your engine.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by WayneE
Can you post up that information here for those of us that belong to the AMG private lounge?
It's an entire thread. Some posts (including the official word from AMG):

Originally Posted by gothomas
I drive this vehicle regularly on open highways (mostly nighttime) at cruising speeds in excess of 100 mph.

With just over 12,000 miles, I am adding one quart of oil every 1,500-2,000 miles. Are any other S65 drivers experiencing this level of oil consumption?

Additionally, I notice a cloud of smoke on the first full-throttle action each day. What I mean by this is the following: On any given day that I choose to perform full-throttle acceleration - usually already traveling at least 45 mph - the first full-throttle acceleration generates this brief, yet clearly visible, cloud of white smoke (burnt oil). Additional full-throttle demands on the same day do not appear to generate said cloud of smoke.

There are no warning lights and/or other types of advisories appearing on my information panel.

Are there any other S65 drivers with this experience?
Originally Posted by gothomas
First, I want to offer my sincere thanks to both "topless" and "acilli" for their helpful responses - THANK YOU!!!

Based on the online research I have conducted since receiving your replies, it would appear that the oil consumption issue is normal for these engines.

I am most often seeing the smoke on nighttime accelerations and, at night, it does appear to be white; however, I am always in the driver's seat on the highway and not behind the vehicle. I welcome any other experiences related to the cloud issue.

So far, I am leaning towards the belief that nothing is wrong since the car performs exceptionally well at all times and has yet to disappoint me.
Originally Posted by AMG Information
Based on the description that you have given, this is absolutely normal consumption for the S65 engine.

Regarding the "white smoke": this is water vapor (not oil mist) and it is
absolutely normal after an cold start as described. This results from the incomplete burning of the cold eninge. The reason for this is condensation that is deposited after the last drive within the exhaust system.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
All I can say is that nothing is going to help the resale value of the 06 S 65. It is a great car, but came out at the wrong time. As for putting your lawyer to work, save some cash. If it does go to trial, hope and pray that you get a bench trial with a judge that is a car nut, because if it goes jury, your peers will be missing a day of work to "listen to some schmuck complain about his $100K car." It won't end well for you. If Mercedes will put an engine in it, consider yourself lucky, most of those that burn oil didn't follow the break-in procedure, which is(judging by the sticker in the windshield) the client's responsibility. Companies don't develop or offer a warranty on anything to cover abuse or neglect.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by baldrad
Some of you may know that I have posted about excess oil consumption on my E63 in the past. Needless to say the problems still persists where the oil warning occurs every 1500 miles. Right on time it happened again at 7500 miles. MB service would not even consider looking at the problem until 6500 miles after which an oil consumption test will be run. This consists of draining the existing oil and refilling to a set level and then weighing it. The car is then given back to me to drive and if (when) the warning comes back another weight check is done before MB service can pick the engine apart for problems. Needless to say a complete waste of time in my book. Should there be an obvious problem visibile to the naked eye then the problem will be fixed on the spot.

If the problem is not obvious the engine is shipped back to AMG and a new engine put in its place. This does not sit well with me. A lemon engine?

Anyway, this is a leased car and I really don't like the fact that the car will have a complete engine replacement. I would rather have a new car, not necessarily an AMG at this point. I will discuss that option if and when the time comes with MB.

Has anyone had similar issues? What course of action would you think is appropriate?

So you have had this prob from 1500 miles on?

And you had all the campaigns performed by Dealer?

The oil level sensor was replaced in many 63's as well as some faulty dip sticks. I guess you have already been down this road?

sorry for giving you advice you already seem to have tried.

I would demand a replacement similarly optioned car (same sticker) and move on. looks like your car has a prob and you have already addressed it several times in the past. (Lemon Law) should now be utilized to get a "new" 63.

I am certain you have all your service records with the oil cunsumption problem noted.

Good Luck
Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A slow Tahoe!
I'll take the Lemon of your hands for $80k.

Thank you all for your info on my S65 oil consumption issue. Just for the recored I paid cash for my car not a lease, now I wish I did. I am buring approx. 2 quarts of oil every 1500 to 2500 miles!!!! That can not be normal???? I spoke with the MB Tech today when dropping my car off and he admited that it needs new rings and cyc. Sorry I am not a tech- person at all, so I am not up on tech terms. But I am a sales person, and I was never told the car would burn oil like that. I am sticking to my guns and going to fight this one out. Replace the engine would kill resale value, not that all the problems so far are helping!!!!! MB needs to make it right!!!!! But, thanks again for all the feedback, I look forward to more. I will give an update as soon as I hear from MB.

I'll throw in a E55 that doesn't burn any oil.
J/K I hope MB takes car of you, when you pay cash for a car you should expect to receive some spacial treatment.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:26 AM

S65,SL600,F360,NSX,Viper,Z06,Hummer
S65 oil consumption

Thanks, for all the replies. Nick 55, I think you are wrong. I will spend the money to go all the way. It is BS what MB is doing to me. I bought a S65 with the intent to drive it, not be a mechanic. Taking it back to the dealer every 2k miles for 2 quarts of oil is BS. I paid BIG money for a car, not for a problem!!!!!!!!! They will give me a new car!!!!! I will go to court, I would rather see a jury!!!!!! I do not know anyone that would think that MB is in the right. But we will see, I have been wrong before. The MB rep is calling me next week with MB answer and fix to my S65 problem. I will post it as soon as possible. By the way the dealership is back me!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 10-29-2007, 11:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Thanks, for all the replies. Nick 55, I think you are wrong. I will spend the money to go all the way. It is BS what MB is doing to me. I bought a S65 with the intent to drive it, not be a mechanic. Taking it back to the dealer every 2k miles for 2 quarts of oil is BS. I paid BIG money for a car, not for a problem!!!!!!!!! They will give me a new car!!!!! I will go to court, I would rather see a jury!!!!!! I do not know anyone that would think that MB is in the right. But we will see, I have been wrong before. The MB rep is calling me next week with MB answer and fix to my S65 problem. I will post it as soon as possible. By the way the dealership is back me!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Ryan
So, what happened? I wasn't trying to be a #%$#(richard), just stating the obvious about the taking it to court. And I know for a fact you won't get a new car. Sorry, but you have a now 2 year old car, that is no longer in production, and replaced by a newer model. When restitution is made on a buy-back or replacement, you usually get either fair market value back(not a good thing for you) or get all monies paid by the purchaser minus 50 cents per mile on the odometer(for actual usage of the car). You might also get a trade allowance from MB towards your next MB purchase(usually 10-35 grand), should you choose to do that. These options are usually offered for cases that do have a legitimate case. I did not say you didn't have a case, just that you wouldn't get a new car. Just a voice from experience, do not push it to trial, your odds of winning drop to virtually nothing. And paying cash does nothing for MB, they get paid whether you finance it, lease it or pay outright, somebody pays the dealership and ultimately MB also. Personally and professionally, let them put an engine in it if it is offered to you, if you aren't comfortable with your dealership doing that, discuss that with your Mercedes rep(SPOM). And I can refer you to a great dealership that does a great job. Maybe worth shipping the car for that.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by whoover
That is excessive. I would demand a new engine. A fresh AMG-assembled engine from Germany should be a plus for resale. Having local techs rebuild it would not be a good idea. If you play hardball you'll get your new engine. It's the only officially sanctioned repair for excessive oil consumption. A quart per 750 is excessive by MB specification. Do not let them open your engine.
fwiw, we had our X5 engine blow up and BMW replaced it.
when it came time to turn in for lease or buy, several BMW dealers had no interest in buying it due to the discrepancy between engine life and car's odometer. therefore, although the engine might be good, most dealers and/or future buyers would consider this car worth less, imo.
Patrick
Old 10-30-2007, 01:40 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
So what did MB fianlly have to say? Or did you have to sign a confidentiality agreement for your replacement car (been there, done that)
Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM

E63
Same here

My E63 has 6K miles and I have already added 3 quarts of oil...guess I should be more concerned. Every 1500 miles or so I get the low engine oil notification, I just pour in 1/4 of a quart at a time. Usually take an entire quart over 4 days to keep the warning from coming back on. It is a bit rediculous, I drive my seqouia into the ground (15K miles) between synthetic oil changes and never lose a drop. I guess I should start to document with the Dealer and see how you guys make out.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4Matic; Past: 2019 GLS 450; 2011 E550; 2007 E63; 2003 E500; 1999 E430
WOW. I have been off this for a while and see that the thread is alive. Anyway, after I started the oil consumption test I noticed oil on my pavers (not nice). I brought the car back to MB and the oil leak was caused by them fixing the seal to a line going to an oil cooler. Now that was fixed they stated that the line itself was bad and they would have to fix it. However, they realized that the oil cooler was itself malfunctioning, so they had to get the part shipped in from Germany. They installed it and now I have driven 600 out of the 1000 miles required for another oil consumption test. I am hoping that this resolves the problem.