Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
Please help 10c fan...K&N Air filter compare to VRP 2 Stage foam filter

Hi Guys ,I have 2 questions that I couldn't find when I researched on forum

1st - I had completed VRP CF Airbox with custom VRP 2 stage foam filter
K2 dynoed 448 whp ( Im over 5000FT compare to sea level ).
Is there any increase HP if I swap K&N air filter ?

2nd- Before I had 10c fan on my car, but from the day dealership flashed the ECU back to stock when they replaced the 2nd air pump of my car , so my question are:

Do I still have 10c fan on or it already gone ?
I sometime remove the ECU off of the car ?
and disconect the battery in the few times ?

I think once the ECU back to stock then 10c will be gone but not sure . Im pretty sure some of you out there looking for the answer of this mod, so guys Please share your experience of this mod . I appreciated yr help.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
1. while some air filters are definitely better than others, imho you're not going to show noticable gains on a 500+hp car by changing filters by alone.

2. if you had the reflash performed, i'm almost certain you lost your fan mod.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I just did the Targa Trophy rally from San Diego to Palm Springs and back and we got into some pretty heavy dust. I took the airbox apart and a good bit of sand had made it through the foam filters. I'm back to the K&Ns, but I did "feel" a little difference with the foam ones.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:05 PM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
Originally Posted by jangy
I just did the Targa Trophy rally from San Diego to Palm Springs and back and we got into some pretty heavy dust. I took the airbox apart and a good bit of sand had made it through the foam filters. I'm back to the K&Ns, but I did "feel" a little difference with the foam ones.
Jangy, What did you feel from the foam filters ? faster or slower ? I'm thinking to swap K&N air filters in the air box then redyno .

Adam, The Dealer found my car had bad rear axles sensors and unfortunate they don't have any in stock I will take her back to dealer this Wed to replace them.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
The Foam Filters felt slightly more free flowing. Now that I have seen the sand, though, I am back to the K&Ns. It is just scary what that much dirt can do in my engine. There was at least a gram on the clean side of each box.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by e55 killer
Jangy, What did you feel from the foam filters ? faster or slower ? I'm thinking to swap K&N air filters in the air box then redyno .

Adam, The Dealer found my car had bad rear axles sensors and unfortunate they don't have any in stock I will take her back to dealer this Wed to replace them.
Sang,
Good luck with the repairs! Thank goodness they found the problem.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:27 AM

SL55
Jangy,

Thanks for reporting this... That is a difference I DEFINATELY Don't need to "feel.

Do you think it's that Filters or the Air box that might be the problem?

Thanks,

RoydRage
Old 09-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by RoydRage
Jangy,

Thanks for reporting this... That is a difference I DEFINATELY Don't need to "feel.

Do you think it's that Filters or the Air box that might be the problem?

Thanks,

RoydRage
I was using the factory airbox, so it ain't that. The filters have a very nice seal around them, so it wasn't that, either. The Filters were LOADED with sand, so what little got through does not amaze me. BUT, I would prefer to lose power than to screw the engine up. For stricktly race track, they are fine. But, in a dust storm, K&Ns are as much as I will compromise over paper.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 PM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
Originally Posted by chiromikey
1. while some air filters are definitely better than others, imho you're not going to show noticable gains on a 500+hp car by changing filters by alone.

2. if you had the reflash performed, i'm almost certain you lost your fan mod.
Mike, so do you think 10c fan will worth when I already had larger Johnson pump and PTE 160 Stat ? Does the 10c fan will be gone if :

I remove the ECU off of the car or
when I unplug the battery ? Please advices
Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e55 killer
Mike, so do you think 10c fan will worth when I already had larger Johnson pump and PTE 160 Stat ? Does the 10c fan will be gone if :

I remove the ECU off of the car or
when I unplug the battery ? Please advices
the 160* thermostat and fan mod compliment each other. you should not lose your fan mod by removing the ecu or unplugging the battery.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Hey Jangy,

Do me a favour and check your foam filters and make sure they are oiled.. They were all supposed to be sent out by the manufacturer pre-oiled.. I just want to make sure that yours didnt get missed.

Also, the foam filters are great for flow and power, but they are not designed for extreme dusty environments...

I've put over 5,000miles on my set in my own car and there is absolutely zero sand/debris on the other side of the filter.. I drive through some construction zones but for the most part its highway driving for me.

Can you shoot me a pic of what the filter looks like.. I'd like to look into this for you.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM

G55
I was told that the oil on the K&Ns was found to be ruining MAFs...anyone have any problems?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MTG BRKR
I was told that the oil on the K&Ns was found to be ruining MAFs...anyone have any problems?
if anyone has maf's in their 55...then there is a big problem.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:29 PM

G55
really? No kiddin...lol. Shows how much I know about these cars. Give me a month, and I'll be able to hand build one.

Originally Posted by chiromikey
if anyone has maf's in their 55...then there is a big problem.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:59 PM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
Originally Posted by vrus
Hey Jangy,

Do me a favour and check your foam filters and make sure they are oiled.. They were all supposed to be sent out by the manufacturer pre-oiled.. I just want to make sure that yours didnt get missed.

Also, the foam filters are great for flow and power, but they are not designed for extreme dusty environments...

I've put over 5,000miles on my set in my own car and there is absolutely zero sand/debris on the other side of the filter.. I drive through some construction zones but for the most part its highway driving for me.

Can you shoot me a pic of what the filter looks like.. I'd like to look into this for you.
Whoa,Vic its good to see you still hang out on board . I'm sure your projects took all your time right ? anyway do you have any update of paddles shifters ?Thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I'll take a few pics and post them for you. I dunno if they are oiled or not. The dust was HUGE. I've done that in 4X4s and K&Ns without issues, but I've never tried it on the E.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
I would like to see some pics of you dusty filters also...We have a lot of dirt on our roads...I am using K&Ns right now and cleaned them after 5k miles...