seperating the coolin lines question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EuroElites E55
seperating the coolin lines question?

if i have the I/c and engine run on their own will the ECU still be able to tell the I/c to turn on? or do you still have your pump running at all times? will my over heating warning systems still work?

i belive this is a grat way to keep our cars cooler but how hard is it to do? and will it all still function correctly?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Old 10-18-2007, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
ECU will still turn on the IC pump,UNLESS you wire it seperatley to run on when the key is on.I like to have the pump run whenever the key is on.All cheack lights will still work either way you do the pump.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
....I like to have the pump run whenever the key is on...
Is there a HOW-TO somewhere? Doing the install this weekend. I'd like to have mine wired to have it on all the time.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
Is there a HOW-TO somewhere? Doing the install this weekend. I'd like to have mine wired to have it on all the time.

Thanks.
To do it correctly you need to get a bosch 30a. relay and wire it into the stock fuse box area.Im not good at explaining,just hands on doing it.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
ECU will still turn on the IC pump,UNLESS you wire it seperatley to run on when the key is on.I like to have the pump run whenever the key is on.All cheack lights will still work either way you do the pump.
thats good to know!
is your system seperated? if so how much do you think it helped?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
thats good to know!
is your system seperated? if so how much do you think it helped?
I cant honestly say how much it helped,but when you add up all the little things it does keep the IAT's down more and brings them back to normal range faster after hard runs.Wired to run with key on,bigger HE and pump,and seperate system is what I think is the right way to go.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
I cant honestly say how much it helped,but when you add up all the little things it does keep the IAT's down more and brings them back to normal range faster after hard runs.Wired to run with key on,bigger HE and pump,and seperate system is what I think is the right way to go.
ya i have the larger heat exchanger and pump, i have a good idea of my IATs. I will be able to compare the differences once i get the systems seprated. i was hoping someone already had a good idea how much it helps?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
ya i have the larger heat exchanger and pump, i have a good idea of my IATs. I will be able to compare the differences once i get the systems seprated. i was hoping someone already had a good idea how much it helps?
Only true way to tell is too put a temp sensor(and guage) at the very outlet of the radiator where the water is T'd off for the sc system,get some readings on coolant temps.That location should be where the water is at its coldest,right out of the radiator after its done its job.Then get a seperate water temp reading from where the water goes into the Sc hard lines(next to the sc clutch area),that should be the last spot you can get too before it ducks the lines under the SC housing.These 2 temps locations should monitored and logged.

After you get those temps logged,then seperate the system,add a resivour(place to add water also) for the IC circuit side and log the temps from both previous locations again.Compare the 2 and see what you get.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by phatmitzu

Thanks.
I did it last week and it was fairly straight forward. The biggest pain in the rear was finding a switched power source but maybe this will help.

I found a switched source that acts as the trigger for this relay which is hidden down in the corner of the fuse box. I tapped into it and ran that trigger wire along with the larger blue wire in back for constant +12v to the pump relay.

I fished the wires behind the engine compartment and pushed the relay down next to the battery under the fresh air intake. From there I ran a ground wire to a grounding point next the SBC and from there to the pump. The other wire goes to the red lead on the pump. So far it's worked flawlessly and activates when ignition is in ACC position. I'll complete the project when my new heat exchanger arrives.

Good luck and make sure you use hose pinch pliers if you separate the lines. Helps keep things much cleaner.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Thank you Sir. I will try that this weekend.