Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by RoydRage
OMG!

Those welds in the first picture look SCARY!

They look like they were globbed on with a stick welder.

I sure hope the pulley was checked for trueness, and re-balanced after that.

Best,

RoydRage
No beauty contest winner there,indeed! lol But a very effective pulley at a decent price and track record.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 PM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
Originally Posted by Jrocket
You better be nice to that shop! I wouldnt do a pulley install for anywhere near that price.
I got mine installed along with the PTE stat for around that same price.

You're just greedy
(J/K)
Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by SteveFox
I got mine installed along with the PTE stat for around that same price.

You're just greedy
(J/K)
You may be right there.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 PM

07 BMW X5
jangy you might want to wait for Vic as his pulley is also a 175mm and looks to be better quality. I think he's price point will be around $1,200 which will include the special tool needed for the install. I hope he does a gb or intro special.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
Which do I buy? the ASP or the EVOTECH?

ASP has a very good track record and its only 800 bucks,how can you go wrong.

Evotech is nice and quality made from the pics Ive seen but cost's much more and you get the same results as the cheaper ASP.

I went ASP.
Don't listen to John, get the Evotech pulley.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by blueknight
jangy you might want to wait for Vic as his pulley is also a 175mm and looks to be better quality. I think he's price point will be around $1,200 which will include the special tool needed for the install. I hope he does a gb or intro special.

Any idea on time for the VRP? I'd be willing to buy some cash out if there is a discount.
I like EVOTech just because of its relation to Oliver and apparent falling out with RennTech.

My only fear with the ASP is the stories I have heard OTHER places about the welds giving. With all that we have on this board and the power put in, I'm thinking those failures were rumors?

Can anyone running the ASP comment on how smooth it runs while the engine is idling? The RennTech one was wobbling like a nudie dancer, but the EVOSport one was smooth as silk. I'm curious what the ASP is like.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
My ASP is very smooth ... the fit on the OEM pulley casing must be very tight and with good tolerances. The welds sure dont look pretty ... but if they work ... fine.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 AM

Obsidian E55
Ill second that. Although i did rust treat it as per steves suggestion, it gets no prize for its beauty but it does on vroooooooooooooooom factor.

So far so good.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Don't listen to John, get the Evotech pulley.
Also good advice!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:53 PM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
Holy smokes, the car does fly...Had the pulleys installed today...I can sort of have the feeling of driving a 600 series now..

Unfortunately its a rainy day in Boston, while traveling at 70mph on the highway, I tried to kick down on the throttle but the wheels just slipped..

No way of even depressing the throttle locally because the tires just slip..
All I can say today was all slip slip slip..Hopefully tomorrow will be a sunny day.

Question for ASP owners: when you guys had the pulleys installed, when you depress the gas...does it feel like it took longer before the power seems to be "released"? it felt like it took a bit longer to spool up and throw me back to the seat...
Old 11-15-2007, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by derrick_lui

Question for ASP owners: when you guys had the pulleys installed, when you depress the gas...does it feel like it took longer before the power seems to be "released"? it felt like it took a bit longer to spool up and throw me back to the seat...
You might be experiencing heat soak.
Belt might have moisture on it and is slipping a bit.
ECU is still adapting to the pulley.

Mine doesnt do it,but if you get the IAT's high enough,it can act like that.Time for some cooling mods now.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 PM

I dont think its heat soak yet, its rainy cool weather today.

What happens when ECU adapts to the Pulley?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I dont think its heat soak yet, its rainy cool weather today.

You can get heat soak in any weather.The ASP pulley really takes a toll on the IC circuit.The IATS climg very fast,and dont come down fast enough if repeated blasts are made.The ecu notices this and delays the sc engagement.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 PM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
You say bye bye to everyone else on the road
Old 11-16-2007, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the delay is due to the system.. not wanting to give the engine hot air... (high ITA's)

if you notice... you won't have this delay during "morning start up"... as you drive even 10 mins in traffic.. you will start seeing a delay 50% boost.. followed by 100%

the belt slip is another problem I have not yet solved.. I get a small jerk during take off.. some of the time.. new belt will probably help.I do have the Gator belt.. basically a belt in which the groves are broken and not continous. A continous grove belt like the Jag.. probably be best.

with adding the FMIC to my car... my car feels like "morning start up" almost all the time....

any lag in downshifting... its due to the transmission at this point. I drive in C mode too.. since I usually have the kids and wife.

high ITA's are there even.. the kompressor does not shut down...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Any idea on time for the VRP? I'd be willing to buy some cash out if there is a discount.
I like EVOTech just because of its relation to Oliver and apparent falling out with RennTech.

My only fear with the ASP is the stories I have heard OTHER places about the welds giving. With all that we have on this board and the power put in, I'm thinking those failures were rumors?

Can anyone running the ASP comment on how smooth it runs while the engine is idling? The RennTech one was wobbling like a nudie dancer, but the EVOSport one was smooth as silk. I'm curious what the ASP is like.
when I had my installed.. it was wobbing.. due to the bolt not being set correctly.

we uninstalled.. and made sure the bolt was set exactly and all the way.

problem solved.

The pulley is smooth.. but it appears not as smooth as Evosport, due to the welds and outer ring. The Evosport is one solid piece. I think is mostly a visual effect.

At iddle.. the car is a bit rougher at start up.. nothing major.. but than again.. its a bigger crank pulley.. so you would expect a small change. Once the car is warm.. smooth just like stock.

as mentioned before.. small jerk at times really is my only complain. The jerk has become less noticeable with a cooling mods. I do need to replace my belt.. its been 1 year.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Hmmm, I'm liking the feedback.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by TopGun32

as mentioned before.. small jerk at times really is my only complain. The jerk has become less noticeable with a cooling mods.
Thats my only complaint as well,and it would be the same with any pulley out there.Its tollerable though,and it doesnt happen that often.For 800 bucks its still the best bang for the buck mod out there.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:46 AM

Just took the car out for another spin with my friend.
He said that the difference between stock is not really "night and day" different....I agree its not "night and day" but is obviously faster. He said that the Kleemann stage I felt a bit faster (he sat in X-tian's K1 E55 before)...My guess would be that ASP vs Kleemann pulley+ECU would be close right?

I didnt really experience heat soak much tonight, the power was pretty consistant...its 0.5 degree's celcius tonight so I guess that helped.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Just took the car out for another spin with my friend.
He said that the difference between stock is not really "night and day" different....I agree its not "night and day" but is obviously faster. He said that the Kleemann stage I felt a bit faster (he sat in X-tian's K1 E55 before)...My guess would be that ASP vs Kleemann pulley+ECU would be close right?

Actually it is night and day compared to most mods.Hard to sit in 2 different cars that are close and say one felt obviously faster.

IMO..yes the ASP pulley will be the same as K1.Some may not agree.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 AM

well yea..you are right, compared with other mods its night and day (ex. Cold air intakes, Exhaust, Filters...)

Overall speaking, 799$ is hard to beat for what it gives...
Old 11-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I'd argue that the ASP would give better gains than the K1. An ECU tune at stage 1 is just not that big of a deal, compared to more boost.
What is the sizes of the various ones out now? I know ASP is still biggest?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:36 PM

2005 E55
Thats my only complaint as well,and it would be the same with any pulley out there.Its tollerable though,and it doesnt happen that often.For 800 bucks its still the best bang for the buck mod out there.
Interesting...I get the same jerky feel when driving off the line during normal driving and I still have the stock pulley. Of course I don't feel it when I put the trans in C mode. However I do notice that when I reset the trans, its not as jerky in S mode.

The jerkiness happens when I feel my supercharger turn on during normal driving off the line. I hear the supercharger chirp and at the same time the car jerks. Its an annoying feeling so thats why I drive hard off the line now to not feel the jerk :P
Old 11-18-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
I'd argue that the ASP would give better gains than the K1. An ECU tune at stage 1 is just not that big of a deal, compared to more boost.
What is the sizes of the various ones out now? I know ASP is still biggest?
Evotech has a 175mm which is the same size as the ASP. There is a LET pulley which is 178mm but havn't heard anything about it.

Last edited by SSM AMG; 11-18-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by rberga1
Interesting...I get the same jerky feel when driving off the line during normal driving and I still have the stock pulley. Of course I don't feel it when I put the trans in C mode. However I do notice that when I reset the trans, its not as jerky in S mode.

The jerkiness happens when I feel my supercharger turn on during normal driving off the line. I hear the supercharger chirp and at the same time the car jerks. Its an annoying feeling so thats why I drive hard off the line now to not feel the jerk :P
You can have the dealer install a new 06 sc clutch but some have had the rough engagement come back over time,myself included.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ASP Pulleys arrived Pics here