W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Gas Smell Fix

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Originally Posted by Warchild
I have the same problem as the guy at the top of the post. Fuel pooling at the bottom of that part. What exactly is this part? What does it do? I've been searching MB parts sites but cannot see anything that looks like it (in parts photos).

I took the car to my local guy I use and told him to replace the black hose. He called me back today and said that he thinks the plastic teet to which the hose attaches is cracked because tightening the clamp makes the fuel spurt worse. He wants to replace the whole assembly (whatever that thing is) for $600. Yikes, I thought I would only need the hose replaced. Now I'm not sure what to believe.

I called my stealership and they took the VIN number to check if there was any recall for this. No news from them yet. Car is 2005 with 63K - out of warranty. Anyone know about a recall for this problem?

Thanks
Hey, there could be another cause to the problem. I know there was a recall for cracked fuel tanks. It happened more with cars that were driven more in stop-and-go traffic. I guess due to the strain that it placed on the structure of the tank. That info is included in the recall. Don't have link for it, but maybe somebody else does? Or maybe you can find via search.

Also, if you're a tight wad like I am, you may be able to get by with a much cheaper solution...as in free. I just don't fill my tank up to the top and that works perfectly. If you run your car until the fuel light comes on, then only put in 14 gallons, you'll never smell it again (assuming the leak is in the same spot, of course. also assuming another problem doesn't come up w/ the tank, of course of course, heeeh ).

Lastly, if you decide replacing the pump & sending unit is the way to go, check RockAuto.com. They have the complete assembly for 400 something, I think. Best of luck, bro! Laters!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E.FIDDY.FIVE AMG
im having this problem too will the stealership change it for free?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Stage I RennTech E55
i have the same problem as well, i ripped the backseat off but didnt have a chance to take apart everything yet to take a peek at it. im out of warrantly as of last month, would they take care of this for free???
Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
a unicorn tuned p30 e63
This is a very simple fix but if your not careful you will break the nipple off the top of the fuel pressure sending unit. Then your car will sit there with a terrible gas smell while your spending anywhere from 300-500 for a fuel pressure sending unit and then if you dont want to do it yourself about another 300 or more to get in intalled. I changed it myself and i wont say it was hard but i had a tech explain how to change it.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by B on my Benz
im having this problem too will the stealership change it for free?
Yes, It is a recall I believe. I have no isssue but will be taking it in for the free repair.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Does anyone have the recall number??
Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
I just had this same problem with my E55 today . Noticed a VERY strong gas smell in my garage this morning and in the car while driving. Removed the rear seat bottom and found alot of gas on the left side . Cleaned it all up and when I started the car gas was spraying out of the nipple where the gas line attaches to it. Barely touched the line and the nipple broke off in my hand . WTF .. The recall must had been done on my car since it had the little metal sleeve in the nipple. Well I guess I am on my own with this repair. Does anyone know the best place to buy a new fuel sending unit ?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
a unicorn tuned p30 e63
Originally Posted by 1BADDBENZ
I just had this same problem with my E55 today . Noticed a VERY strong gas smell in my garage this morning and in the car while driving. Removed the rear seat bottom and found alot of gas on the left side . Cleaned it all up and when I started the car gas was spraying out of the nipple where the gas line attaches to it. Barely touched the line and the nipple broke off in my hand . WTF .. The recall must had been done on my car since it had the little metal sleeve in the nipple. Well I guess I am on my own with this repair. Does anyone know the best place to buy a new fuel sending unit ?
This is the cheapest place to get the part http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories
If you need help to install it and dont have anyone to ask i'll write something up. i should have took pics and posted them, but i'll just tell you how to do it and then you can do it ahaha
Old 07-13-2010, 05:59 PM

e55
Gas smell

I had exactly same problem few weeks ago. I smelled gas when I fueled full and was gone after driving a while. Then, "check engine" sign lit up so I took it to the dealer.

They took a while to fix this problem. They finally figured it was the cracked gas tank, but eventually they replaced the fuel pump as well. I think the fuel tank was about $800 and $300 for the fuel pump.

Thank gosh Fidelity warranty decided to cover everything because it came out to be $2600 w/ labor... I bet fidelity wanna drop me so bad
Old 08-07-2010, 02:15 PM

2008 e63 AMG
2008 e63AMG - Gas Smell After Filling Up

Does anyone know whether there is an actual recall associated with this gas smell/leak issue ? A Google search using "e63 Gas Smell" will result in numerous hits but no recall or tech sheet.
Thanks,
Tim Cochran

Last edited by cochrantd; 08-08-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 PM

99 E320, 05 E55
RECALL info

Check this link for the recall info :

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...l-related.html
Old 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by blahuh
211's have issues with fuel tanks leaking. Will often get fuel smell when completely full. There is a hose connection on the top of the tank that will leak at the plastic welds. Unable to see the connection from the left or right sides under the seats. Also left side sender (drivers side) is fuel filter module, and right side is the actual fuel pump. There is a campaign out for 211 AMG's to replace the fuel filter module if it has certain part numbers.

Also fuel tanks should be covered under emissions warranty which is 8 years 80k miles

Can anyone confirm this? If not, do i just call up Mercedes and ask if the fuel tank is covered under the 8 year warranty?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 PM

2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Originally Posted by Eurohorses
Can anyone confirm this? If not, do i just call up Mercedes and ask if the fuel tank is covered under the 8 year warranty?
I don't think it is, bro. I seem to recall asking about this approximately a year ago, but now I'm not sure. I'll find out.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:44 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by kurtwz
I don't think it is, bro. I seem to recall asking about this approximately a year ago, but now I'm not sure. I'll find out.
Please do.... i replaced the seals on both my pump and module. After a weak or so, my CEL light came on. When i plugged into the comp to see the prob, it said something along the lines of "fuel leak". That and the fact that my gas cap light comes on everytime i have more than 3/4 tank of gas.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM

13 E63
Everyone,

Our 03E55 had the recall done in 08. The fuel sending housing was replaced.

In 09 the fuel leak returned. Seals were replaced.

Now in 10 last week came home from vacation and filled up the tank of the E for the wife(its her car) and drove home.

Fuel was pouring out of the same sending unit assembly that was replaced under the recall.

I think MB has a problem. I think MB is trying to kill us because this is literally a bomb under our seats.

I have called NTHSA and I have called MB USA to notify them. There is a huge problem here folks. Check your cars and pull those inspection covers off after filling up your cars. There will be hell to pay this time around.

Originally Posted by 1BADDBENZ
Old 08-17-2010, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 03RSTT
Everyone,

Now in 10 last week came home from vacation and filled up the tank of the E for the wife(its her car) and drove home.

Fuel was pouring out of the same sending unit assembly that was replaced under the recall.

I think MB has a problem. I think MB is trying to kill us because this is literally a bomb under our seats.

I have called NTHSA and I have called MB USA to notify them. There is a huge problem here folks. Check your cars and pull those inspection covers off after filling up your cars. There will be hell to pay this time around.
Yeah, I'm sick of this.. Can we get a petition going or something...?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 PM

13 E63
UPDATE:

It is the same part that has cracked and fuel is pouring out of the fuel sending unit housing on the drivers side.

Same part that was replaced under this recall has failed again in 2 years and 12,000 miles.

I asked the parts department if the part had been further updated? NO

So, I say to you all. Your sending unit housing may/will fail again and its just a matter of time. The part has not been updated.

The only question is this. Will the car blow up before you catch it next time? Will it crack and start leaking while on a hwy trip and leak down on the exhaust before you notice it?

I will post some pics. I literally had a flood of gas in there. Does not take much to ignite with electronics right next to the leak.

Everyone,

Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 AM

99 E320, 05 E55
I have the same problem.

I've bought a 2005 E55 a few weeks ago. I have the same problem. I see a puddle of gas near the sending unit. It's NOT from the black hose.
Called MBUSA and found that the recall work was done back in 2008 and that they don't cover it anymore.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 AM

13 E63
How does that make you feel?

I'm starting the process to raise holy hell with MB USA. This is crap.

The recalled part is no better than the original. MB US is sending us out to explode these things.

Well BS if they are going to get me. PM me and we can talk about this. I have another call for MB USA tomorrow. Your information would help.

This leak is not coming from the hose. The housing is cracking just like the original part. We are driving ticking time bombs.

Originally Posted by 99w210
I've bought a 2005 E55 a few weeks ago. I have the same problem. I see a puddle of gas near the sending unit. It's NOT from the black hose.
Called MBUSA and found that the recall work was done back in 2008 and that they don't cover it anymore.

Last edited by 03RSTT; 08-18-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 PM

2014 E63S
Unhappy

My car is back at the dealership for the second time for the same problem>>>This makes three visits for the two E55's I have owned. Frustrating to say the least. It may be time to rid myself of the 211.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:54 PM

13 E63
PM sent,

Could you contact me off the forum? Another E55 AMG owner has contacted me with the exact same issue. Recalled component has started to leak fuel.

This is a serious concern and MB USA is not standing by the product or launching a full blown investigation into the matter.

I have notified the NHTSA of the matter and suggest you take 15min to do the same.

It is just a matter of time before one of these blow up. IMHO

Originally Posted by Fielding
My car is back at the dealership for the second time for the same problem>>>This makes three visits for the two E55's I have owned. Frustrating to say the least. It may be time to rid myself of the 211.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM

13 E63
That is a puddle of gas behind the round level sensor. This is on the driver side and the exact component replaced under the recall.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PM sent,

Could you contact me off the forum? Another E55 AMG owner has contacted me with the exact same issue. Recalled component has started to leak fuel.

This is a serious concern and MB USA is not standing by the product or launching a full blown investigation into the matter.

I have notified the NHTSA of the matter and suggest you take 15min to do the same.

It is just a matter of time before one of these blow up. IMHO
Please PM info on exactly where/how to contact the NHTSA. It would be best if we all went through the same person/avenue.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 PM

2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Please do.... i replaced the seals on both my pump and module. After a weak or so, my CEL light came on. When i plugged into the comp to see the prob, it said something along the lines of "fuel leak". That and the fact that my gas cap light comes on everytime i have more than 3/4 tank of gas.
Please let me know if you find out any additional info on this problem. I have been trying to confirm the details with MB, but every dealer says something different.

Thanks,
Bo
I called a local dealer in St. Louis yesterday about a year ago and they said that a faulty fuel tank is not covered under the 80K emissions warranty. They said if I'd like to petition that it should be, I'd need to call MBUSA. On Tuesday I called MBUSA and they informed me that my car, which I bought at 50K was included in their recall associated with the faulty fuel sending unit and that it had had the fix performed. I also asked about any repair of the faulty recall since it looks like that one didn't fix the leaky problem. They said as of yet there is no recall to the recall and no warranty was offered on it. They said that if I'd like to ask that they cover something under the emissions warranty, that I'd need to go to the dealer...eeeshh.

This thread has recently gotten me interested to find out whether the fuel sending unit swap I had done a couple months ago actually fixed the problem, so I decided to test it by filling the tank up all the way. I never have done that since I first realized that it is a workaround for the problem. Filled it up about an hour ago and as of yet there no fuel smell. I think it would probably smell by now if it would be leaking, but too early to know for sure.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 PM

2005 E55
^^ I still get the smell outside my car on the drivers side rear wheel. The smell has not really come back in the interior but i too have been only filling up to 3/4 tank to avoid the problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Gas Smell Fix