Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 08:46 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Vic55
No sweat here bro and based on other posts I dont know who is. And tell me this, what Lexus is the same as a Toyota? Even one that may share the same platform is miles ahead in fit and finish plus amenities.

There is only one Lexus car (non sport ute) that shares the same platform as Toyota. Can you name it?
As a longtime Lexus owner, I can say that's just not true.

Camry = ES
Avalon = GS (same camry platform for both, just stretched)
Highlander = RX
Sequoia = LX

Even the IS line of vehicles that you guys are arguing about is really just a Toyota Altezza (non-US vehicle) platform that is released as a Lexus brand vehicle in the US and some parts of Europe.

So that only leaves ONE model that is actually designed from the ground up as a Lexus, which is the LS.

And as far as Lexus being different from Toyota, the differences are minor exterior styling cues and more wood inside. If you drive one awhile, you will notice the buttons, knobs, materials, handling, smells, etc. as being virtually the same as the Toyota model your lexus corresponds to. If you look at the imprints on the glass, as an example, they say "Toyota" not "Lexus".

All that said, Lexuses are still a helluva nice car.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by CWW

Camry = ES
Highlander = RX
Sequoia = LX

Even the IS line of vehicles that you guys are arguing about is really just a Toyota Altezza (non-US vehicle) platform that is released as a Lexus brand vehicle in the US and some parts of Europe.

So that only leaves ONE model that is actually designed from the ground up as a Lexus, which is the LS.

And as far as Lexus being different from Toyota, the differences are minor exterior styling cues and more wood inside. If you drive one awhile, you will notice the buttons, knobs, materials, handling, smells, etc. as being virtually the same as the Toyota model your lexus corresponds to. If you look at the imprints on the glass, as an example, they say "Toyota" not "Lexus".

actually the LX=Land Cruiser and the GX = 4runner
Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by psk145
actually the LX=Land Cruiser and the GX = 4runner
Oh ya, ur right. I mixed it up.

They are all definitely re-badged Toyotas tho.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by CWW
Oh ya, ur right. I mixed it up.

They are all definitely re-badged Toyotas tho.
Oh goodie, another Lexus hater.

Should we start a Nissan thread?

How 'bout that GT-R, gotta' that pig, huh?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by CWW

Camry = ES
Highlander = RX
Sequoia = LX

As I mentioned I was talking about non sport ute but you failed to see that... and you are partially correct and I was partially wrong, since there are two:

The ES and the Camry share the same platform but "non sport ute"
The Highlander does share with RX and Camry but like I said "non sport ute" as they are on a car platform.
The Avalon is on its own and is not on the GS platform.
The Sequoia is on its own with the Tundra.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
As I mentioned I was talking about non sport ute but you failed to see that... and you are partially correct and I was partially wrong, since there are two:

The ES and the Camry share the same platform but "non sport ute"
The Highlander does share with RX and Camry but like I said "non sport ute" as they are on a car platform.
The Avalon is on its own and is not on the GS platform.
The Sequoia is on its own with the Tundra.
Dude,

Think about it for a second...

Lexus only makes 4 cars that aren't sport utilities, the IS, ES, GS, and LS. Out of this bunch, only the LS is a stand-alone model that isn't merely a re-badged Toyota.

3 of the 4, the IS (Altezza), ES (Camry), and GS (Avalon) are completely based on aesthetically modified Toyota platforms. You are wrong about the GS/Avalon, as they are both based on the same platform, which is a stretched Camry chassis. So your "not based on a sport ute" comment is irrelevant....I was referring mainly to their sedans, which are all based on Toyota models, with the sole exception of the LS. A 2-minute google search will confirm this for you.

I guess you also missed the part about me being a longtime lexus owner. I am anything but a lexus "hater". That said, I recognize it for what it is...a luxury Toyota.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by CWW
Dude,

Lexus only makes 4 cars that aren't sport utilities, the IS, ES, GS, and LS. Out of this bunch, only the LS is a stand-alone model that isn't merely a re-badged Toyota.

3 of the 4, the IS (Altezza), ES (Camry), and GS (Avalon) are completely based on aesthetically modified Toyota platforms. You are wrong about the GS/Avalon, as they are both based on the same platform, which is a stretched Camry chassis. So your "not based on a sport ute" comment is irrelevant....I was referring mainly to their sedans, which are all based on Toyota models, with the sole exception of the LS. A 2-minute google search will confirm this for you.

I guess you also missed the part about me being a longtime lexus owner. I am anything but a lexus "hater". That said, I recognize it for what it is...a luxury Toyota.

Please read my posts again ... I never said anything about badges, I said platform. They may be based on Toyota, and that term is used loosely but again I said platform....

Actually the Avalon is off the Camry platform but shares the GS engine and the ES as well.

The United States version of the Camry sedan, for instance, is wider than those sold overseas, though they both come from the same platform. So do the Camry Solara, the longer and roomier Avalon and the near-luxury ES300 sedan. The Toyota Sienna minivan and Lexus RX300 sport utility trace their origins to the Camry platform as well.

Please see the link:

Click Here

And I took your advice and used Google, what an idea, and found these links ... 1st and 2nd generation Avalons are off the Camry platform. The third sharing an engine with the GS does not make it a platform sharer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Avalon

I am not discounting your Lexus ownership at all just in case you want to mention it again
Old 12-09-2007, 12:02 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Please read my posts again ... I never said anything about badges, I said platform. They may be based on Toyota, and that term is used loosely but again I said platform....

Actually the Avalon is off the Camry platform but shares the GS engine and the ES as well.

The United States version of the Camry sedan, for instance, is wider than those sold overseas, though they both come from the same platform. So do the Camry Solara, the longer and roomier Avalon and the near-luxury ES300 sedan. The Toyota Sienna minivan and Lexus RX300 sport utility trace their origins to the Camry platform as well.

Please see the link:

Click Here

And I took your advice and used Google, what an idea, and found these links ... 1st and 2nd generation Avalons are off the Camry platform. The third sharing an engine with the GS does not make it a platform sharer.

I am not discounting your Lexus ownership at all just in case you want to mention it again
So reading your last post, you've pretty much acknowledged that the GS/Avalon, and other Lexus models are at *least* substantially similar to their Toyota counterparts, and that most are based on the same platforms...

So, I'm glad we agree. Lol.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CWW
So reading your last post, you've pretty much acknowledged that the GS/Avalon, and other Lexus models are at *least* substantially similar to their Toyota counterparts, and that most are based on the same platforms...

If that makes you feel better then yes, they are all Toyota's ....

Here is just another link to show you that the Avalon is part of the ES/Camry platform.

The next-generation of Toyota's premier sedan is scheduled to appear in 2005. The Camry's older, more genteel sibling will feature an updated profile based on a Camry platform. Expected to be larger and longer than its predecessor, the new Avalon will also feature a more spacious interior.

Click here for the post
Old 12-09-2007, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by CWW
Dude,

3 of the 4, the IS (Altezza), ES (Camry), and GS (Avalon) are completely based on aesthetically modified Toyota platforms. You are wrong about the GS/Avalon, as they are both based on the same platform, which is a stretched Camry chassis..
Dude, think about it for a second....

The GS series is RWD.

The Camry and Avalon are FWD.

FWD and RWD use entirely different chassis.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by CWW

Hmm, taking a few steps back, are we? First you said "all" sedans, save the LS, were on the Camry chassis....now, when proven to be wrong, you try to shift the argument to "well, I may have said that, but I *really* meant "substantially similar", and "most, not all"".

You were proven to be substantially wrong. Admit it and move on.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:21 AM

none
Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
Really?

#'s on the CLS55, M5, and STS-V Comparison in Car and Driver...

The CLS could get by on looks alone, but there’s obviously more to it than that. There’s power, for example. The key distinguishing element between the CLS500 and CLS55 AMG is under the hood, wherein resides a supercharged and intercooled 5.4-liter SOHC 24-valve V-8. We’ve seen this engine in AMG powerhouses before, notably the E55, and like other boosted Benz engines, it’s a leering torque monster. Horsepower — 469 at 6100 rpm — ain’t exactly peanuts, but 516 pound-feet of torque is enough to affect the rotation of the earth. Peak torque comes on at 2650 rpm, and there’s enough of it to cover for the relative shortage of forward cogs in the five-speed automatic transmission and also to get the CLS out of the starting blocks in a serious hurry: 0 to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds, 0 to 100 in 9.8, the quarter-mile in 12.6 at 114 mph. That’s Corvette turf, and pretty brisk for a two-ton car.

i wish I had this mag - the 0-150 # is close (maybe within a second but does it matter at this speed???
...huh...?
Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 AM

none
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Okay, you have established your standing as a Lexus hater.

I don't see anybody "sweating" about the new Lexus focus.
I do see people making reasonable comments about how one of the top quality luxury car companies in the world might make out with their foray into performance cars.
Top quality? Sure. Making their way into performance? Not really, no. Not considering the "IS-F" is as fast to 60 as their IS350.

I don't hate Lexus, perhaps I was a bit too harsh; what I meant was: For the price, Lexus isn't worth it-- not when Toyotas look strickingly similar and have alot of the same functions/amenities. You don't agree, that's fine-- but don't jump on me because I'm not on the "I love Lexus" bandwagon.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:37 AM

none
No sweat here bro and based on other posts I dont know who is. And tell me this, what Lexus is the same as a Toyota? Even one that may share the same platform is miles ahead in fit and finish plus amenities.

There is only one Lexus car (non sport ute) that shares the same platform as Toyota. Can you name it?
No I can't name it.

All I'm saying is:

Were it not for the logo, could you pin point which one is the more expensive Lexus, and which one is the cheaper Toyota?

Again, logos aside-- which is which?

That's my only point, their cars (Lexus/Toyota) look indentical yet one costs a pretty penny more. What happened to being at least somewhat exclusive for forking over more money for the "luxury" vehicle?
Old 12-09-2007, 02:53 AM

1 V10, 2 V8
the JDM toyota versions of Lexus LOOKS a lot better and gives u more as well.

GS is not the avalon. GS is the Aristo.
GX is not the 4runner. GX is the land cruiser prado.
ES is the Windom
IS is the altezza
SC is the soarer
LS is the celsior
RX is the harrier
Get ur facts right plz before guessing.

I used to own a Lexus. very comfortable but I never felt the road and never got the power I needed. The Lexus IS300 was a great car if you put a turbo in it. I had the RX300 and it felt like a ship. Liked it at first but hated the fact that I cant go beyond 112mph.

Did you guys ever see the Toyota Century? Check it out. You will be amazed. It costs US$94,500 in Japan. Exporting it from Japan will cost $118,000 before shipping charges. Uses a 5.0L V12 engine but with the stupid Japanese regulations of 280ps.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:09 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by Improviz
Dude, think about it for a second....

The GS series is RWD.

The Camry and Avalon are FWD.

FWD and RWD use entirely different chassis.

I'm not guna argue this anymore.

You can have the same platform with different engine and driveline setups. That happens all the time.

Your argument about RWD/FWD is absolutely ridiculous...I guess the Porsche C4S isn't a 996, because the 996 is RWD and the C4S is AWD?

Retarded.

Last edited by CWW; 12-09-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:11 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Hmm, taking a few steps back, are we? First you said "all" sedans, save the LS, were on the Camry chassis....now, when proven to be wrong, you try to shift the argument to "well, I may have said that, but I *really* meant "substantially similar", and "most, not all"".

I've taken NO steps back.

It's a fact: Every Lexus vehicle in production shares a platform with a Toyota vehicle, with the one exception of the LS. That's what I have said from the beginning, and that's what I am saying now.

And I'm correct.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:17 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
the JDM toyota versions of Lexus LOOKS a lot better and gives u more as well.

GS is not the avalon. GS is the Aristo.
GX is not the 4runner. GX is the land cruiser prado.
ES is the Windom
IS is the altezza
SC is the soarer
LS is the celsior
RX is the harrier
Get ur facts right plz before guessing.

I used to own a Lexus. very comfortable but I never felt the road and never got the power I needed. The Lexus IS300 was a great car if you put a turbo in it. I had the RX300 and it felt like a ship. Liked it at first but hated the fact that I cant go beyond 112mph.

Did you guys ever see the Toyota Century? Check it out. You will be amazed. It costs US$94,500 in Japan. Exporting it from Japan will cost $118,000 before shipping charges. Uses a 5.0L V12 engine but with the stupid Japanese regulations of 280ps.
My understanding is that the new LS is not being released as the Celsior. Even in Japan, they are releasing it as a Lexus-brand vehicle for the first time, so that is no longer a shared platform.

But thanks for the list. I got a few of the models wrong, but the point is abundantly clear: Lexus vehicles, including sedans, are all based on Toyota platforms.

Sorry Improviz.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:27 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600

And please show me where I said all Lexus sedans are on the Camry chassis? Never said that.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CWW
I'm not guna argue this anymore.

You can have the same platform with different engine and driveline setups. That happens all the time.

Your argument about RWD/FWD is absolutely ridiculous...I guess the Porsche C4S isn't a 996, because the 996 is RWD and the C4S is AWD?

Retarded.

Just provide me with proof, I did that for you with multiple links that clearly show write up's that the Avalon is off the Camry platform. Until you provide otherwise, your point (in this matter) is not fact. Just call Lexus and ask them....

Anyways dont want to get this into a big debate as its taken a turn from what the OP wanted to say or show us. So I apologize for my part in this tangent.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I thought in the USA they badged the upper end Toyotas Lexus but in Japan they are still all labled Toyota.

The same thing with Acura and Honda.

All over the world the name Honda is used for all the Acura's where as in the USA the up line Honda's are called Acura's and the lower line cars are called Honda

When you go to the Carribean unless the car was sent from the US you will see that most of these names, Lexus and Acura are actually Toyota and Honda.. That's what they are called/badged (Toyota,Honda) when imported from Japan to the Carib..
Old 12-09-2007, 12:01 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Just provide me with proof, I did that for you with multiple links that clearly show write up's that the Avalon is off the Camry platform. Until you provide otherwise, your point (in this matter) is not fact. Just call Lexus and ask them....

Anyways dont want to get this into a big debate as its taken a turn from what the OP wanted to say or show us. So I apologize for my part in this tangent.
Ok, sure, no problem...

Straight from wikipedia:

1995-1999 Avalon:

The Avalon was based on a stretched Camry platform and had a 3.0 litre V6 engine making 192 hp (140 kW) and 210 ft·lbf (285 N·m) of torque. For 1997, the Avalon's power rating increased to 200 hp (150 kW), and torque increased to 214 ft·lbf (290 N·m). Toyota made minor updates to the front and rear fascias in 1998.

2000-2004

The second generation Avalon grew larger in almost every respect. The Avalon was still based on the stretched Camry platform and had a 3.0 litre V6 shared with the Toyota Sienna, Lexus RX300, Lexus ES and the Toyota Highlander, making 210 hp (157 kW) and 220 ft·lbf (298 N·m). of torque. However, its size was similar to the Camry.

You get the idea....

Old 12-09-2007, 12:04 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600

Wait a second...

I just realized what ur saying. I AGREE with you that the avalon shares the Camry platform. I said that from the beginning, that it's a stretched Camry platform.

I just said that some Lexus models ALSO share the same platform.

Here...also from wikipedia

Lexus ES:

The Lexus ES series is a family of mid-size luxury sedans produced by the Lexus division of Toyota since 1989. Now in its fifth generation, the series has been consistently built on the Toyota Camry platform with a V6 engine, automatic transmission, and front-wheel drive.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CWW
Ok, sure, no problem...

Straight from wikipedia:

1995-1999 Avalon:

The Avalon was based on a stretched Camry platform and had a 3.0 litre V6 engine making 192 hp (140 kW) and 210 ft·lbf (285 N·m) of torque. For 1997, the Avalon's power rating increased to 200 hp (150 kW), and torque increased to 214 ft·lbf (290 N·m). Toyota made minor updates to the front and rear fascias in 1998.

2000-2004

The second generation Avalon grew larger in almost every respect. The Avalon was still based on the stretched Camry platform and had a 3.0 litre V6 shared with the Toyota Sienna, Lexus RX300, Lexus ES and the Toyota Highlander, making 210 hp (157 kW) and 220 ft·lbf (298 N·m). of torque. However, its size was similar to the Camry.

You get the idea....

Originally Posted by CWW

Camry = ES
Avalon = GS (same camry platform for both, just stretched)Highlander = RX
Sequoia = LX

umm You need to prove its off a GS my friend ... as you have so stated several times. I guess you dont have any ... proof that is. Your play on words is a little off.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:08 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
umm You need to prove its off a GS my friend ... as you have so stated several times. I guess you dont have any ... proof that is.
Look, I already acknowledged like 10 posts up that I mixed the models up, and I am not arguing about the stupid Camry platform. I am saying that every Lexus model except the new LS is based on a Toyota platform. That's what I've said from the beginning.

This argument about the Camry platform isn't the point.

The point is that Lexus = Toyota.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F - 60 in 4.2 - 1/4 in 12.7 - 150 in 24.5