Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 12:09 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
the JDM toyota versions of Lexus LOOKS a lot better and gives u more as well.

GS is not the avalon. GS is the Aristo.
GX is not the 4runner. GX is the land cruiser prado.
ES is the Windom
IS is the altezza
SC is the soarer
LS is the celsior
RX is the harrier
Get ur facts right plz before guessing.

I used to own a Lexus. very comfortable but I never felt the road and never got the power I needed. The Lexus IS300 was a great car if you put a turbo in it. I had the RX300 and it felt like a ship. Liked it at first but hated the fact that I cant go beyond 112mph.

Did you guys ever see the Toyota Century? Check it out. You will be amazed. It costs US$94,500 in Japan. Exporting it from Japan will cost $118,000 before shipping charges. Uses a 5.0L V12 engine but with the stupid Japanese regulations of 280ps.

Originally Posted by CWW
My understanding is that the new LS is not being released as the Celsior. Even in Japan, they are releasing it as a Lexus-brand vehicle for the first time, so that is no longer a shared platform.

But thanks for the list. I got a few of the models wrong, but the point is abundantly clear: Lexus vehicles, including sedans, are all based on Toyota platforms.

Sorry Improviz.
I guess you missed this post from yesterday?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
Really?

#'s on the CLS55, M5, and STS-V Comparison in Car and Driver...

The CLS could get by on looks alone, but there’s obviously more to it than that. There’s power, for example. The key distinguishing element between the CLS500 and CLS55 AMG is under the hood, wherein resides a supercharged and intercooled 5.4-liter SOHC 24-valve V-8. We’ve seen this engine in AMG powerhouses before, notably the E55, and like other boosted Benz engines, it’s a leering torque monster. Horsepower — 469 at 6100 rpm — ain’t exactly peanuts, but 516 pound-feet of torque is enough to affect the rotation of the earth. Peak torque comes on at 2650 rpm, and there’s enough of it to cover for the relative shortage of forward cogs in the five-speed automatic transmission and also to get the CLS out of the starting blocks in a serious hurry: 0 to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds, 0 to 100 in 9.8, the quarter-mile in 12.6 at 114 mph. That’s Corvette turf, and pretty brisk for a two-ton car.

i wish I had this mag - the 0-150 # is close (maybe within a second but does it matter at this speed???
Well, the Car and Driver that first had the E55 when it came out and stomped the E39 M5 and RS6 ran;

0-60 4.3
0-100 9.9
0-150 24.5
1/4 mile 12.5 @ 116mph

So from a standing start it would seem to me the Lexus will be in lockstep with the Benz. And that is, of course, from a magazine's numbers, which we all know can be bettered, hence Exodus' two links to E55s drag runs. But, I'm not going to turn a "I'm better than them" just yet as the same could happen with the Lexus. I would imagine from a rolling start we would have the edge with all of that torque.

But, I'd never buy the Lexus over the Benz. I just haven't found them inspiring enough and I tend to agree with CWW that many of them are re-badged Toyotas (I don't need to get lost in the weeds like others on that issue) with a price hike. Benz is pure upscale, in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by CWW
Look, I already acknowledged like 10 posts up that I mixed the models up, and I am not arguing about the stupid Camry platform. I am saying that every Lexus model except the new LS is based on a Toyota platform. That's what I've said from the beginning.

This argument about the Camry platform isn't the point.

The point is that Lexus = Toyota.

Agreed, in Japan that is- since there is no Lexus there.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:14 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by Vic55
Agreed, in Japan that is- since there is no Lexus there.
No, I meant in the sense that, whatever Lexus you're driving other than the LS, it's built on a platform developed by Toyota. Somewhere in the world, probably right in your own country, there will be a Toyota product that shares the same platform and a lot of the architecture and parts. Lexus as a brand is really a re-badging campaign...they spruce the interiors up and change some styling cues, but they're all just spiffed up Toyotas.

And Lexus has launched as a standalone brand in Japan now, they eliminated the Celsior for the new model...so even in Japan there are now two separate brands.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:17 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
And here's some links to the Japan launch of Lexus models as a standalone brand, in case you want "proof"...

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...19/022314.html

http://www.clublexus.com/index.php?o...496&Itemid=155

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=6&gl=us
Old 12-09-2007, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by CWW
I'm not guna argue this anymore.

You can have the same platform with different engine and driveline setups. That happens all the time.

Your argument about RWD/FWD is absolutely ridiculous...I guess the Porsche C4S isn't a 996, because the 996 is RWD and the C4S is AWD?

Retarded.
What's retarded is your claiming that the GS is based upon a stretched Camry chassis. If you have any citation to document this, by all means, produce it. You can't, because you're full of shit, and you're too stupid and too stubborn to admit you're wrong, so you keep dancing around your earlier claim like a clown, gesticulating frantically in the hopes that nobody will notice your earlier claim.

Your earlier claim was this:
Originally Posted by CWW
3 of the 4, the IS (Altezza), ES (Camry), and GS (Avalon) are completely based on aesthetically modified Toyota platforms. You are wrong about the GS/Avalon, as they are both based on the same platform, which is a stretched Camry chassis.
Wrong. The Avalon chassis is not the same as the GS chassis, nor are the two shared. If you can find a single citation from anywhere which confirms this claim, you win.

If you can't, you lose.

And I, unlike you, check my facts before blathering stupid garbage in front of hundreds of people.

You lose.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by CWW
I've taken NO steps back.

It's a fact: Every Lexus vehicle in production shares a platform with a Toyota vehicle, with the one exception of the LS. That's what I have said from the beginning, and that's what I am saying now.

And I'm correct.
You're lying. You stated specifically that the GS and the Avalon share the same platform.

This is wrong.

Research your facts before you blather. The Camry shares its platform with the Lexus ES and RX, and the Highlander and Avalon. It DOES NOT share its chassis with the Lexus GS.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by CWW
My understanding is that the new LS is not being released as the Celsior. Even in Japan, they are releasing it as a Lexus-brand vehicle for the first time, so that is no longer a shared platform.

But thanks for the list. I got a few of the models wrong, but the point is abundantly clear: Lexus vehicles, including sedans, are all based on Toyota platforms.

Sorry Improviz.
You're not receiving what I'm sending, or you're obfuscating. In case it is the former, my point was that the GS and the Camry do not share the same platform.

You have repeatedly made this claim, and it is false.

Period.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Well the bottom line really is that outside of Japan in certain countries these cars maybe labled Lexus but they are still all Toyota's.

This goes for Infiniti /Nissan and Acura/Honda. Both Honda and Nissan also have plenty of cars here named Infiniti and Acura that are named plain old Nissan and Honda back in other parts of the world.

This two brand name thing was purposely done to sell cars in the American market.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:58 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by Improviz
What's retarded is your claiming that the GS is based upon a stretched Camry chassis. If you have any citation to document this, by all means, produce it. You can't, because you're full of shit, and you're too stupid and too stubborn to admit you're wrong, so you keep dancing around your earlier claim like a clown, gesticulating frantically in the hopes that nobody will notice your earlier claim.

Your earlier claim was this:

Wrong. The Avalon chassis is not the same as the GS chassis, nor are the two shared. If you can find a single citation from anywhere which confirms this claim, you win.

If you can't, you lose.

And I, unlike you, check my facts before blathering stupid garbage in front of hundreds of people.

You lose.
Actually, I don't "lose", because that wasn't my point.

My point wasn't that the GS and Avalon are the same chassis, my point was that all Lexus models except the LS are based on Toyota platforms.

Instead, you have adopted an absurdly myopic view of only one minor detail that I mentioned while making my point, and one which I already acknowledged YESTERDAY when Brabusw209 pointed out that the GS is actually the Toyota Aristo and not the Avalon.

However, My point still stands, since the GS is still a re-badged Toyota, along with the rest of the Lexus line save the LS. You should reread the previous posts and catch up, so you don't sound like such a complete douchebag.

Last edited by CWW; 12-09-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:05 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
You're lying. You stated specifically that the GS and the Avalon share the same platform.

This is wrong.

Research your facts before you blather. The Camry shares its platform with the Lexus ES and RX, and the Highlander and Avalon. It DOES NOT share its chassis with the Lexus GS.
I'm not "lying", rather you have quite clearly missed the point....which had nothing to do with the Avalon/GS.

The point was that the GS, like the rest of the Lexus line other than the LS, is a re-badged Toyota. When I quoted the corresponding model, along with several others at the same time, I said "Avalon" instead of "Aristo". So shoot me, big whoop, that wasn't my point.

You clearly need to go take a Dale Carnegie course or something. Try concentrating a little less on jousting at semantic windmills and more on your absurdly confrontational attitude. You sound like a total douche. I can't imagine what putting up with you in person must be like.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by CWW
Actually, I don't "lose", because that wasn't my point.

My point wasn't that the GS and Avalon are the same chassis, my point was that all Lexus models except the LS are based on Toyota platforms.
Your point is not the issue. Your false claim is the issue. I corrected your false claim, and you're basically too much of an insecure dick to admit you were wrong, so you simply attacked me. I quoted your post, and I'll quote it again:
Originally Posted by CWW
3 of the 4, the IS (Altezza), ES (Camry), and GS (Avalon) are completely based on aesthetically modified Toyota platforms. You are wrong about the GS/Avalon, as they are both based on the same platform, which is a stretched Camry chassis.
Your words. They are wrong. That's what I was correcting. And you're both too stupid to admit that you were wrong, and too much of a childish jerk to act like a man and move on.

Fine. But the words clearly show who was right and who was wrong, and who is the dick here.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
Lexus makes a nice car but they lack all flavor. Some of the most bland cars around. Expensive appliances. I believe in order to save the company they will have to come out with some products that the under 60 group will buy. Most of their products are purchased by people over the age of 60, hence if they don't change that there will be nobody left to sell anyting to. I read that somwhere.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:41 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
The better question is...

would anyone ever buy a non-AMG/M-B specialy vehicle (non AMG, non-SL, etc) as a daily driver or "practical car".

Personally, my answer is "no", "heck no", h$#^l no", F*&^k NO!"

Too much trouble.

BTW, Lexus does not = Toyota...

Last edited by BlackHammer; 12-09-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by NickyBlack
Lexus makes a nice car but they lack all flavor. Some of the most bland cars around. Expensive appliances. I believe in order to save the company they will have to come out with some products that the under 60 group will buy. Most of their products are purchased by people over the age of 60, hence if they don't change that there will be nobody left to sell anyting to. I read that somwhere.
Nicky,
I agree for the most part. A friend of mine (under 60) bought an IS250 and it has aluminum paddles similar to our cars. I asked him what they were for and he had no clue!! When I told him he could shift with them, he said " I think I'll let the car do the shifting for me"... Lexus buyers are, just different. My .02.

Last edited by sack5000; 12-09-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
This one has worn out its welcome ... Improv and CCW you guys need to chill. While professional rebuttals and arguing are OK, direct personal attacks on members are not.

Thread locked, and my apologies to the OP.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
This thread is open again. A shame that two users had to ruin it. If CWW or Improviz take it off track again, they will be banned.

Thanks
brad
Old 12-17-2007, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by otoupalik
This thread is open again. A shame that two users had to ruin it. If CWW or Improviz take it off track again, they will be banned.

Thanks
brad
Brad, read the posts in the thread I issued a polite, accurate correction, same as had Vic55 and one other poster; the difference is, I got called names and ridiculed in return, and defended myself with documentation of the other user's posts.

If you guys don't like people defending themselves against personal attacks, I would suggest a bit more spirited form of moderation in repsonse to them. Self defense is not the same as assault, nore is objectivity the same thing as neutrality; if insults and name calling were more agressively policed, and objectivity practiced, this would be avoided.

If in the meantime you wish to resort to gustav-style banning (and, I notice, post deletion) of any spirited discussion and debate, even in response to attacks, that is your perogative.

Last edited by Improviz; 12-17-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:24 PM

01 CLK 55 AMG
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew IS-F!!! FTMFW I just won 1 on Forza 2...I know I'm late but I just broke down and bought an Xbox the other day!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Founder

Brad, read the posts in the thread I issued a polite, accurate correction, same as had Vic55 and one other poster; the difference is, I got called names and ridiculed in return, and defended myself with documentation of the other user's posts.

If you guys don't like people defending themselves against personal attacks, I would suggest a bit more spirited form of moderation in repsonse to them. Self defense is not the same as assault, nore is objectivity the same thing as neutrality; if insults and name calling were more agressively policed, and objectivity practiced, this would be avoided.

If in the meantime you wish to resort to gustav-style banning (and, I notice, post deletion) of any spirited discussion and debate, even in response to attacks, that is your perogative.
Your polite replies were left, if you took the time to notice.

YOUR and any other user's posts that were out of line have been edited. When you want to start, manage and run a Mercedes forum, you can do it however you want. Here on MBWorld we prefer to have POLITE discussion and when it turns into a gutter war - the users and the forum as a whole are damaged at the expense of a few user's e-ego - and that will NOT be tolerated.

And for the record, it is not YOUR responsibility to fall to the level of someone that attacks you. That is the mod's job to moderate. Is there any reason that you could not just "let it go" - only one I can think of is mentioned above - "e-ego."

This forum is about fun. We will allow any discussion and cultivate them, but gutter wars will not be allowed - regardless of how long you have been a member or how much you have contributed.

thanks
Brad
Old 12-20-2007, 02:13 AM

07 E550
oh yeah cant wait for the GS f
Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 AM

1 V10, 2 V8
Originally Posted by CWW
Look, I already acknowledged like 10 posts up that I mixed the models up, and I am not arguing about the stupid Camry platform. I am saying that every Lexus model except the new LS is based on a Toyota platform. That's what I've said from the beginning.

This argument about the Camry platform isn't the point.

The point is that Lexus = Toyota.
why do you think lexus can be so competitive in pricing and make so much money? I definitely agree with CWW. Most of their sedans are based on one car. You'd be surprised that even the RX and Highlander are based on the Camry.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 AMG C63 S
This thread should have remained closed, IMO. Let's talk about MB..
Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Founder

Just because this is a MBZ forum, there is no reason we cannot discuss other brands, especially competitive ones. We just need to keep it civil.

thanks
Brad