Sponsored by:

E55 @ Nascar ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
E55 @ Nascar ??

Guys: maybe a dumb question, but what the hell, here it goes: could our Beast hang in NASCAR races?

I mean, I watch bits and pieces of these races, and wonder aloud "I think my car could do that.........that doesn't look that much faster than what I've done." (in the middle of the night on a lonely stretch of safe/stable highway).

I don't mean all the minute details of the tunings that are involved with the NASCAR cars. Rather just the basics: couldn't our Beast go around in circles at 170mph for awhile? Or am I underestimating the speed of the NASCAR cars?

Thanks. I'm sitting in a hospital room, so what else do I have to think/fantasize about? I'm trying to plan for my next career.

Kris Keeney
Old 12-22-2007, 11:28 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
NASCAR has so consistently de-rated their cars over the last 10yrs by requiring restrictor plates, governors, and other performance-limiting crapola in the name of safety that I think any McLaren (certainly the F1), an Enzo, an LP640, or any number of other street cars would run circles around a stock car on a NASCAR track, if given the proper tires.

NASCAR has become more about being loud and putting on a show for the crowd than about actual performance. I remember back in the 80s stock cars spent a decent chunk of the race at or around 200mph. Now the average speed, at least at Daytona, is something like 139.5mph. Gimme a break, you can do that on I-95, where there are no 45-degree banks to make it easier.

On paper, the engines are amazing...700hp+ and all motor, but then they get limited, and to my knowledge nobody will say what the actual number is that they are running in a race...undoubtedly much less. I suspect less than 500hp. The cars do weigh nothing, though...so I think that would be the chief factor limiting a street car vs. a stock car. They also have no real suspension, so you don't have any body roll issues, etc.

As to an E55, I dunno. I think the weight and traction limitations would really hamper it, you'd really need something lighter with a firmer suspension and the capacity for a lot more rubber.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
No,it cant,but you have to remember that the Nascar is a tubular chassis with a shell of a car on it.Our cars would not handle the repeated speeds or torture.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:26 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Omg!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by CWW
NASCAR has so consistently de-rated their cars over the last 10yrs by requiring restrictor plates, governors, and other performance-limiting crapola in the name of safety that I think any McLaren (certainly the F1), an Enzo, an LP640, or any number of other street cars would run circles around a stock car on a NASCAR track, if given the proper tires.

NASCAR has become more about being loud and putting on a show for the crowd than about actual performance. I remember back in the 80s stock cars spent a decent chunk of the race at or around 200mph. Now the average speed, at least at Daytona, is something like 139.5mph. Gimme a break, you can do that on I-95, where there are no 45-degree banks to make it easier.

On paper, the engines are amazing...700hp+ and all motor, but then they get limited, and to my knowledge nobody will say what the actual number is that they are running in a race...undoubtedly much less. I suspect less than 500hp. The cars do weigh nothing, though...so I think that would be the chief factor limiting a street car vs. a stock car. They also have no real suspension, so you don't have any body roll issues, etc.

As to an E55, I dunno. I think the weight and traction limitations would really hamper it, you'd really need something lighter with a firmer suspension and the capacity for a lot more rubber.

I hate for this to be my first post, but I cannot resist since I feel like I know alot on this issue. This is what I do for a living and the first 2 post are the most rediculous statements I have ever read!!!!! These NASACAR cars have more technology and engineers working on them than anyone knows. Just because they have not changed the rules in a while and let anything go because the cant police it and just say "yeah go for it", does not mean they are not highly engineered and working on parts for future benefit elsewhere. I really dont know where to start about this subject but Jrocket is correct and usually knows what he is talking about thankfully on this subject too. I have ran on most of the NASCAR tracks including the superspeedways of Daytona and Talladega and know what it takes to make laps at these places and as much as I love my e55, there is no way it could make a competitive lap within 10 sec. of a avg. stock car. The suspension, tires, balance, aero package, overal g loads, brakes would all fail quickly and you would be in big trouble!!! There is a point when this car has its place and it is not compareable at all to a NASCAR car......sorry!!!! As far as the motors and average speed comment goes..... The engines do make right near 800 h.p. n/a on unleaded fuel now!!! The only places they run ristrictor plates, which I might add are the only type of governing limiter on the engines, are the superspeedways of Daytona and Talladega which reduce engine power to around 420 and they run 200 mph laps with this power decrease. Last year Rusty Wallace tested a modern era cup car at Talladega with no restrictor plate in controlled conditions and ran over 240 mph avg. speeds!!!!! The speed possibilities are there but he said it was one of the craziest things he did and that racing, drafting and bumping in stock cars at those speeds would be deadly!!!! I have to agree also. As far as the avg. speed comment, caution flags have the deciding factor on avg. race speeds not the actual speed. The more you stop for wrecks, debris, track conditions, the more it ruins your avg. speed. Just like taking a trip in the interstate. The more you stop for gas and bathroom breaks and siteseeing the longer it takes you and the more you do the worse it is. And as far as the light weight comment, hahahaha most stock cars weigh in at 3,600 and avg. around that # for other classes too!!! Hope this doesnt look bad on me for my first post, but if there is a subject I know something about to post on its this!!! Look forward to being involved in the chats now as I start modding my e55. I have been looking around for a while just waiting to make my posting debut hahaha Thanks for supplying such a great forum, I am glad to be a member and a new MB owner
Old 12-22-2007, 02:52 PM

540 6spd
Jimmy Stewart daily drives an S65 and one day they were interviewing him and he said that he seriously thinks he could qualify it. lol.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Just look at the average speeds that Nacscars qualify at for Fontana and compare to the speeds that we get in our AMGs at Fontana.

nitrous_nate: if those are the most "rediculous" posts ever, then hold on to your saddle straps, cause this ain't ****. They are simply speculating and asking.
Since you openned the door, how exactly are you in the business? To say that the restrictor plates are the ONLY way Nascar has held the power back is the most rediculous thing I have heard. It may be the only object that they added, but the restrictions that they put on the engine and aerodynamics mandate slower speeds and more driver - driver interaction.
I have no issue with you jumping in all high and mighty, but keep it real, would ya?
Old 12-22-2007, 03:10 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by nitrous_nate
I hate for this to be my first post, but I cannot resist since I feel like I know alot on this issue. This is what I do for a living and the first 2 post are the most rediculous statements I have ever read!!!!! These NASACAR cars have more technology and engineers working on them than anyone knows. Just because they have not changed the rules in a while and let anything go because the cant police it and just say "yeah go for it", does not mean they are not highly engineered and working on parts for future benefit elsewhere. I really dont know where to start about this subject but Jrocket is correct and usually knows what he is talking about thankfully on this subject too. I have ran on most of the NASCAR tracks including the superspeedways of Daytona and Talladega and know what it takes to make laps at these places and as much as I love my e55, there is no way it could make a competitive lap within 10 sec. of a avg. stock car. The suspension, tires, balance, aero package, overal g loads, brakes would all fail quickly and you would be in big trouble!!! There is a point when this car has its place and it is not compareable at all to a NASCAR car......sorry!!!! As far as the motors and average speed comment goes..... The engines do make right near 800 h.p. n/a on unleaded fuel now!!! The only places they run ristrictor plates, which I might add are the only type of governing limiter on the engines, are the superspeedways of Daytona and Talladega which reduce engine power to around 420 and they run 200 mph laps with this power decrease. Last year Rusty Wallace tested a modern era cup car at Talladega with no restrictor plate in controlled conditions and ran over 240 mph avg. speeds!!!!! The speed possibilities are there but he said it was one of the craziest things he did and that racing, drafting and bumping in stock cars at those speeds would be deadly!!!! I have to agree also. As far as the avg. speed comment, caution flags have the deciding factor on avg. race speeds not the actual speed. The more you stop for wrecks, debris, track conditions, the more it ruins your avg. speed. Just like taking a trip in the interstate. The more you stop for gas and bathroom breaks and siteseeing the longer it takes you and the more you do the worse it is. And as far as the light weight comment, hahahaha most stock cars weigh in at 3,600 and avg. around that # for other classes too!!! Hope this doesnt look bad on me for my first post, but if there is a subject I know something about to post on its this!!! Look forward to being involved in the chats now as I start modding my e55. I have been looking around for a while just waiting to make my posting debut hahaha Thanks for supplying such a great forum, I am glad to be a member and a new MB owner

My post is hardly ridiculous, it's accurate......

First off, you seem to be making tons of excuses for the low average speed in addition to insisting that there is lots of new technology going into stock cars....well then explain why the average speeds at every NASCAR track have consistently gone DOWN over the last 10 years....if what you said is true, speeds would be going UP not DOWN.....

Additionally, I said stock cars are lightweight. They are. 3600lbs is FAR less than most comparable street cars, and about 1000lbs less than an E55 that was the point of comparison.

As to your comment about restrictor plates being the only speed limiting devices, that's just not true. As an example, the cars all have to meet strict aerodynamic drag criteria that is designed to SLOW them down, in addition to restrictor plates etc.

And as to your saying the E55 wouldn't compare to stock cars for long, because of component failure, I don't think we disagree on that. I specifically said the E55 wouldn't run with stock cars.

I do think the cars I specifically mentioned, like the McLaren F1, Lambo LP640, Ferrari Enzo, etc., would not only run with stock cars but would run circles around them.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:34 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
And ya know what...the more I think about it, the more I disagree with you.

I bet even a comparatively heavy E55 could lap Daytona consistently at above an average of 139.5mph, which is all the NASCAR races hit, as long as you put on proper rubber, ceramic brakes, and removed the speed limiter.

The crappy next-to-zero-technology stock cars of the 1980s set all the average speed records up in the 180s...the cars of today are significantly detuned by comparison, and no offense but the component quality going into the brakes, suspension, etc. of stock cars is not IMO that superior to AMG's equipment.

Compare it to porsche, ferrari, or even the new black series mercedes and stock-car equipment flat out sucks. Ya, it's all handmade stuff, but since when has that been a good thing when it comes to anything built with tight tolerances? And the technology they are using today is flat-out pathetic...they are still using block designs from the 1960s and earlier.

Put a stock car on an F1 track, or even put a european F1 car next to a stock car on a NASCAR track, the stock car will look like a total joke.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:41 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
To wit...here's a nice point of comparison...

Chevrolet released a comp. test between a regular monte carlo and the stock car version of it, as a marketing gimmick, and it was picked up in Popular Mechanics...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...36.html?page=4

0-60 in 6.21 seconds is pathetic. My 9-yr old W129 will outrun that...lol...especially if whatever road we are on has turns that go in more than one direction.

Because of the gearing, they pick up on the 1/4 mile, but it's still only 10 & 1/2 @ 130mph....nothing too spectacular, considering modified E55s, as well as modded S/CL 600s, run in the high 10s with HIGHER trap speeds.

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjH9ykP8zl0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsTZ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Gxv...eature=related

And pay attention to the curb weight section...stock cars weigh in at around 3200lbs, not 3600lbs like you said. Even taking your figure, there's a 1000lb weight advantage, but the actual performance still sucks. In reality, it's more than 1000lbs, since you are off by around 400lbs with your figure.

So, there is an E55 on dragtimes.com with a 1/4mi time of 10.7 @132, and many others on youtube and whatnot that are close to that. When you figure the E55 weighs realistically 1400lbs more and doesn't have the benefit of living life on 10" wide full racing slicks, I don't think the stock car performance is all that hot, nor anything that high-performance street cars couldn't match.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...slip-7835.html

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...slip-5127.html

Last edited by CWW; 12-22-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by CWW
...a comparatively heavy E55 could lap Daytona consistently at above an average of 139.5mph, which is all the NASCAR races hit...
The stock cars are a bit faster than ~140 MPH:starting grid

Points well taken, though. Now, where’s my spittoon?!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 PM

2003 E55 AMG
jangy, I am a driver and also work in the shop every day on the cars first hand and with engineers in testing progrmas with data aquisition systems. Obviously they need body and other rules but with all of that in place and Rusty ran a 240+ m.p.h. AVERAGE lap time at talledega, they dont need too much improving I would'nt guess I think that is what the fastest indy car laps are run at with super light cars and hardly close to any drag numbers a stock car has and they run the same speed??? I can keep it REAL cause this is my life and what I do and know every aspect about it!!!!

CWW, I dont even know where to start with all your mess of post's. You dont know enough about what your talking about to really understand anything about stock cars. The average speed you keep comparing is a race speed after the race. Cautions and track problems make those numbers go down and arent a real comparison. If you want average speeds, look at qualifying mph and practice times alone. They are all 180 -200 mph AVERAGE lap times. Bill Elliott set the mph record in 1988 with a 220 mph avg. speed. That was surpassed last year as I stated when a cup car ran over 240+ AVERAGE!!! I ran a race on a 1/2 mile oval this past year and the average qualifying speed was over 120 mph!!! You cannot begin to compare 1/4 mile times with any street car. These are purpose built cars to do one thing and one thing only. Never does a Nascar race start from a dead stop, always rolling. Therefore there is no need for transmission gearing, suspension, tire or any of the such to equate into the design and building of these cars. The sidewalls are sooo stiff and the suspension is set for other uses that a 10 sec. 1/4 out of a stock car is pretty amazing!!! The weight of a cup car is 3600 lbs!!! most classes are a little lighter but all are somewhere close to this #. You are way behind on your knowledge and I suggest looking a little deeper than popular mechanics mag. and youtube videos to learn what they are about and why there is no sane comparison of any street car to a stock car in a apple to apple comparison.....Its just plain dumb!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
jangy, I am a driver and also work in the shop every day on the cars first hand and with engineers in testing progrmas with data aquisition systems. Obviously they need body and other rules but with all of that in place and Rusty ran a 240+ m.p.h. AVERAGE lap time at talledega, they dont need too much improving I would'nt guess I think that is what the fastest indy car laps are run at with super light cars and hardly close to any drag numbers a stock car has and they run the same speed??? I can keep it REAL cause this is my life and what I do and know every aspect about it!!!!
See, that is the whole point. I NEVER said anything about a road car being NEAR a NASCAR, did I? I got on you for being pompous, NOT for being wrong and all you just did is buff it up.

By the way, assuming that NASCARs are anywhere near their potential (if allowed to go) by comparing them to a single run on an Indy car is so funny!!!! That is exactly what Indy is all about as well. Why don't you show me some F1 comparisons? Nah, get back in the garage and stay useless.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:15 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600

CWW, I dont even know where to start with all your mess of post's. You dont know enough about what your talking about to really understand anything about stock cars. The average speed you keep comparing is a race speed after the race. Cautions and track problems make those numbers go down and arent a real comparison. If you want average speeds, look at qualifying mph and practice times alone. They are all 180 -200 mph AVERAGE lap times. Bill Elliott set the mph record in 1988 with a 220 mph avg. speed. That was surpassed last year as I stated when a cup car ran over 240+ AVERAGE!!! I ran a race on a 1/2 mile oval this past year and the average qualifying speed was over 120 mph!!! You cannot begin to compare 1/4 mile times with any street car. These are purpose built cars to do one thing and one thing only. Never does a Nascar race start from a dead stop, always rolling. Therefore there is no need for transmission gearing, suspension, tire or any of the such to equate into the design and building of these cars. The sidewalls are sooo stiff and the suspension is set for other uses that a 10 sec. 1/4 out of a stock car is pretty amazing!!! The weight of a cup car is 3600 lbs!!! most classes are a little lighter but all are somewhere close to this #. You are way behind on your knowledge and I suggest looking a little deeper than popular mechanics mag. and youtube videos to learn what they are about and why there is no sane comparison of any street car to a stock car in a apple to apple comparison.....Its just plain dumb!!!!!!!!

Actually, Bill Elliot did set the circuit-wide top speed that still stands, at Talladega back in 1988, but it was 212mph not 220...and that was during qualifying without the whole pack on the track, and was only one lap....but I guess you should know that since you apparently are Mr. Nascar...

And I already said the 1980s cars were faster. The modern ones are severely de-tuned and none of them will run anywhere close to that. The targeted top-speed for restrictor plates and aerodynamics is 191mph, so none of them will exceed that at this point and still be legal.....but again, I guess you should know that since you apparently are Mr. Nascar....

As to your 240mph run, I call complete B.S. Impossible. Show me a video.

And no, the weight of a cup car is between 3200-3400lbs...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/1269356.html

All this "purpose built" stuff is total BS, by the way. There are lots of performance street cars that will do the same thing, and I have already named several. Not to mention that the McLaren or Enzo driver can listen to vivaldi and enjoy the air conditioning while circling the track just as well as the overweight go-carts that we call stock cars...

And here's some more evidence of the further decline in top-speeds...

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/head....ap/index.html

....that was straight from Nascar.com.

Last edited by CWW; 12-22-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:20 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
See, that is the whole point. I NEVER said anything about a road car being NEAR a NASCAR, did I? I got on you for being pompous, NOT for being wrong and all you just did is buff it up.

By the way, assuming that NASCARs are anywhere near their potential (if allowed to go) by comparing them to a single run on an Indy car is so funny!!!! That is exactly what Indy is all about as well. Why don't you show me some F1 comparisons? Nah, get back in the garage and stay useless.
I cant, F1 does'nt race on ovals or where they can find out how fast they can really go on wide open, continuous conditions!!! And I'll stay way more accomplished than you already, I dont pay anyone to work on anything I own b/c I can do it all myself
Old 12-22-2007, 06:24 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Just like I said CWW, I dont have to post links and INFO that you copy and paste to make it look like you know what your talking about, I KNOW IT ALL FIRST HAND!!!!! You have alot to learn, but thanks for the title "Mr. NASCAR" HAHAHAHA
Old 12-22-2007, 06:32 PM

2003 E55 AMG
here's your link to the test in 2004:
http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/head...ega/index.html

He did it again last year after goodyear developed a special tire for the heavier cars and exceeded the 240 mph mark but this was never published and the test was closed to the public and media. I should know, I was there!!!!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Just like I said CWW, I dont have to post links and INFO that you copy and paste to make it look like you know what your talking about, I KNOW IT ALL FIRST HAND!!!!! You have alot to learn, but thanks for the title "Mr. NASCAR" HAHAHAHA
I have a good understanding of Nascar and what those cars and drivers can do , too bad folks on this site have a hard time giving credit where credit is due. If you search you'll see many arguments and much trash thrown in the Nascar way saying that it's a joke because the profesionals make it look easy on tv. Take one enzo or f1 and go for a lap with the crowd and see if ithey will last 20 or more laps after they get banged up a bit. And now I opened up another can of worms , because now they will say that Nascar driver suck because they hit each other.
So you see nothing else matters but what they think, that f1 is it and nothing else compares in any way,Nascar drivers are just a bunch of drunk red necks that get drunk on bush beer and drive on the track just to crash .
Old 12-22-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Ah the wonders and magic of opening up that good 'ole pandora's box.

Clone on clone violence; gotta love it;

Come on guys; 'tis the season for love.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I cant, F1 does'nt race on ovals or where they can find out how fast they can really go on wide open, continuous conditions!!! And I'll stay way more accomplished than you already, I dont pay anyone to work on anything I own b/c I can do it all myself
Glad for you that you are so awesome to be able to do it all yourself. where have you been all my life? Now, please o please go crawl back under the truck you fell out of. I came from the south. Every hick thinks he is a driver and you are too fat and tall .
Old 12-22-2007, 08:38 PM

i am sorry...nascar is a bunch of drunk rednecks racing!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:50 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by RobertG
I have a good understanding of Nascar and what those cars and drivers can do , too bad folks on this site have a hard time giving credit where credit is due. If you search you'll see many arguments and much trash thrown in the Nascar way saying that it's a joke because the profesionals make it look easy on tv. Take one enzo or f1 and go for a lap with the crowd and see if ithey will last 20 or more laps after they get banged up a bit. And now I opened up another can of worms , because now they will say that Nascar driver suck because they hit each other.
So you see nothing else matters but what they think, that f1 is it and nothing else compares in any way,Nascar drivers are just a bunch of drunk red necks that get drunk on bush beer and drive on the track just to crash .
Well no offense, but ya, F1 goes a helluva lot faster, requires a helluva lot more skill, and I don't see them bashing into each other every 5 seconds...

I also don't have to watch 47 minutes of beer and pickup truck commercials out of every 60 minutes of an F1 race...

Lol
Old 12-22-2007, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

silly me , I should have known that every time anybody turns the key in their car they also become Nascar driver themselves and drive just like the drunk red necks no skill required. What I dont understand is all these fans and followers of Nascar are so easly impresed, just make the engine go wroom and thy just salivate, how come?
Now take a f1 fan he has to inspect the actual car just to give it thumbs up and the official okiedokie to allow it to race other wise its a no go,many times the teams call up fans to ask what combination of tires and telemetry they should go with for the up coming race.
Everyone knows that the F1 fans are more intelligent then the ordinary Fatass drunk Nascar fans
Old 12-22-2007, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Old 12-22-2007, 09:57 PM

'08 e63 amg wagon
I used to belong to an e46 M3 forum. I quit going to it because it seem like more and more often evervbody was trying to convince everyone how much smarter they were then anyone else.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by badwagon
I used to belong to an e46 M3 forum. I quit going to it because it seem like more and more often evervbody was trying to convince everyone how much smarter they were then anyone else.
Bingo-that's my point, I know I layed down a lot of sarcasim but it was needed to proove a point. Most people will talk about something that they know, give an opinion or share an experience. Other folks will give an opinion without knowing what they are talking about and put you down for having interest in something that they are not interested in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 @ Nascar ??