W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticketed for parking in a handicap space (advice needed)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
My son......Muscular Dystrophy and Heart transplant.........Does that qualify?
Old 12-24-2007, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
In California you simply have to put a copy of the placard in the mail to the city and if it is your first offense they will wave the fee. After that they dont really care if you have a legit placard since you should know how to place it in the window by that point.

In California there are normally way more disabled spaces than required but thats not the point really. I dont like it when people use them simply because they don't want to walk to the back of the lot. Not passing judgment on you ROCK at all. I have had to use disabled parking before and when needed its a gift unlike any other -- so i know its helpful to those in need. First day I could move enough to not use the disabled spot I threw the placard out. It was a thing of pride that I got rid of it as soon as possible. Call it good karma! It worked because now I am good to go!

A solution for next time could be applying for disabled persons license plates. That way you wont ever forget to put the placard up. California has them but I dont know if your home state does.

Marry Christmas Everyone! Time to go eat dessert (again)!!
Old 12-24-2007, 11:30 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Rock. I hope you don't think even for a second this was directed at you (that's why I said in my first reply it does not apply to Rock or his Son in anyway) as I knew when you used the word your Son was handicapped it was probably for something serious.

Not directed at Rock or his Son in any way...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------I think the handicapped permits are really being abused by quite a few people (at least here in FL). I see people all day long that have these tags hanging from the rearview mirrors park in these spaces, then walk without issue into stores, resturants etc with no difficulty or visual imparments. I even have some neighbors that have the permits and park in the reserved spaces for dinner etc and the next day they are playing golf, tennis etc etc...so shameful! __________________
RJC

Last edited by RJC; 12-24-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Rock
All day, everyday.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
You could think people would not pass judgment on Christmas of all days.

Of course that qualifies. Sorry your son has to go through all that. Best wishes.

I had spinal surgery and I needed the pass for a year. I got my car keyed (E55) because I "looked" ok but was actually really in pain and disabled for a while. People often don't slow down to see situations through.

People lets be happy on Christmas and bicker later.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

Of course that qualifies. Sorry your son has to go through all that. Best wishes.

I had spinal surgery and I needed the pass for a year. I got my car keyed (E55) because I "looked" ok but was actually really in pain and disabled for a while. People often don't slow down to see situations through.

This is level headed conversation,no bickering here. Rocks son's isnt even close to what RJC and I were discussing. Rocks aware of that.

Bickering is in the other thread...
Old 12-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

I hope we aren't bickering. Not just because of the season, but also because Rock is a member. I can only speak for myself when I say that Rock and I have playfully jabbed eachother for years, and I don't think it has ever been personal. I have my own kids that I cherish, and I'd likely respond differently than Rock did. I really hope he saw the humor in the posts and did not take it as judgement on him. I assumed his responses to reflect that he was playing along. If this thread was meant to go in a different dirrection, then I apologize. Sometimes the only support we know how to give is a joke or a tease and maybe this wasn't the time.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
RJC, no offence taken....hey it's the Internet!!!!

IJangy and Cyn, thanks for the kind words.

Have a greatr x-mas!!!!!!

Last edited by Rock; 12-25-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by jangy
I hope we aren't bickering. Not just because of the season, but also because Rock is a member. I can only speak for myself when I say that Rock and I have playfully jabbed eachother for years, and I don't think it has ever been personal. I have my own kids that I cherish, and I'd likely respond differently than Rock did. I really hope he saw the humor in the posts and did not take it as judgement on him. I assumed his responses to reflect that he was playing along. If this thread was meant to go in a different dirrection, then I apologize. Sometimes the only support we know how to give is a joke or a tease and maybe this wasn't the time.

Jangy, I have always enjoyed your participation on this site and I'll continue to take every opportunity to lovingly abuse you......... whenever I can.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Jangy, I have always enjoyed your participation on this site and I'll continue to take every opportunity to lovingly abuse you......... whenever I can.

Thanks, bro
Old 12-25-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 SL550 - Aegean Blue; 2008 E63 Wagon - Iridium Silver
This is an interesting discussion. I'm a neurologist, and have to decide whether to authorize these disabled parking placards every day in my practice. I also have a child with cerebral palsy who needs a permanent placard due to walking problems. So I see this issue from an unusual, combined perspective. I view these disabled spaces as a scarce resource, and like Rock, have dealt with trying to find one when a family member really needs it to be able to function in society.

I routinely turn down requests from patients for a placard if they don't meet the letter of the rules for authorizing one. I've lost patients over this issue. However, there are many doctors out there who will just sign the paperwork for a placard to keep a doctor-patient relationship going, even if the request is not justified. This lack of physician integrity presumably accounts for many of those able-bodied people we see parking in disabled spaces with a placard.

To those of you who are respectful of the importance of these spaces to the disabled, thank you. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
I admit I'm a louse but even I would not do this.

Actually, my son who is handicapped, got the ticket on his car. Apparently he did not have his handicap sign displayed in the window when he went into a store. When he came out, the ticket was on the windshield.

The fine was for $150.00. My son told me he was just going to pay it because when he went down to the police station to speak to the officer who wrote the ticket, he was informed that he needed to attend two separate court hearings and their was no guarantee that they would wave the fine.

My question is, if the car is in my name does this infraction go on my record if we just pay the fine? I'm not sure if I need to resolve this issue with a court appearance or just pay.......and be done with it.
Mywife is handicapped and I have had the same thing happen to me when I forgot to hang the placard. Most municipalities will drop the ticket if you contact the traffic court and send them a copy of placard and the ticket number. Some municipalities have a policy of one forgiveness a year.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:17 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by pcalver
I routinely turn down requests from patients for a placard if they don't meet the letter of the rules for authorizing one. I've lost patients over this issue. However, there are many doctors out there who will just sign the paperwork for a placard to keep a doctor-patient relationship going, even if the request is not justified. This lack of physician integrity presumably accounts for many of those able-bodied people we see parking in disabled spaces with a placard.

To those of you who are respectful of the importance of these spaces to the disabled, thank you. Merry Christmas.

Good for you...giving in to inappropriate patient requests has little to do with acheiving any kind of true patient satisfaction; you're better off without them imho.