Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q: What should I look before buying used E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q: What should I look before buying used E55

I am looking at used '03-'04 E55, since I am coming from BMW/Audi I have no idea what are comment (if any) problems with E55.

Could you guys help me and let me know what should I look when I go to check one of those.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I would try to aim for an 05 model since there has been quite a few "minor" changes from 04 to 05, but if not feasable, then go with the 04 and try to get as much warranty as you can get; preferrably, a CPOed vehicle.
Okay, so first of all, you'll need to check the service history, which should tell you what parts have been changed on the car and when. A common problem on the E55's is the intermittent failure of the IC pump, so you definately want to ensure they put a new one in if there are any problems with this current one. Other than that, there is just the usual stuff:

- Therally check the car's exterior and interior conditions. Look for any scratches or fixes or even previous paint work. And definately run a CarFax history report.
- Make sure all the electronics are functioning correctly, and try out all the options.
- Check the service history of the car to make sure it was maintained regularly and not abused.
- Check tires, brakes, etc..... to see if you'll need to replace them soon after purchase. If yes, then you can maybe negotiate a better price with the dealer.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-06-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
I personally took a different approach...I bought the E55 regardless of year that had all the options I wanted, was the color combo that I wanted, and had the lowest miles in the best condition with the most remaining warranty for the money (that's a mouth full).

In other words, don't ignore an '03 if it has a good CPO warranty and all the options that you are looking for with low miles. Not to mention that some of the '03 cars have proven to be real monsters. If you can get into an '05, you get suspension and other revisions. Nothing that I would term as earth shattering, but worth the upgrade if the car/price is right.

Do your best to make sure the car hasn't been abused and have it inspected to make sure there are no surprises or accident damage. Some things to take a careful look at are front brakes (they can can badly worn as early as 20K miles), tires wear very quickly so factor their condition into the price, and things like when the brake fluid wash last flushed (should be every 2 years and will cost about $120), when was the car last aligned, air filters, cabin filters, charcoal filter? All the stupid stuff that adds up if it wasn't done and you have to take care of it. Most cars are under maintained, not over maintained.

Do a search on differences between years as there are plenty of recent threads.

Good luck....you will love the car!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Here is the thread that lists some of the differences between the model years:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/193362-e55-differences-2003-2006-a.html

Just remember, the most important thing on these cars is warranty. Even if it raises the prices a couple of grand, it is worth it in the long run, as parts for these cars are very expensive.

Good Luck......
Old 01-06-2008, 04:19 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
Two different approaches depending on your $:

Best deal possible, lowest $ spend:

Look for a mid-mileage 2005. Make sure it has had the blower replaced with the '06 supercharger/supercharger clutch. This will resovle the 'chirp' pre '06 E55's experience when the supercharger engages, a minor annoyance to some. Then make sure the previous owner replaced the pump which cools the supercharger. A PITA fix we all do under warranty, best if you dont' have to hassle and get the benefit of the prior owner's work.

Then make sure you get the right color combo (I was flexible), the right mods if you are interested (for example a brand-name pulley swap, ECU upgrades, etc). Cosmetic mods are MUCH cheaper to buy from a previous owner than do do yourself...

Then be sure you have a warranty. You can buy a high mileage with the original warranty and buy yourself an extended warranty (like a 40k mile car). That'd be optimal price point and still get you a 2005, probably for less than a lower mile 2004 or 3.

Approach 2: Buy the lowest mile, longest warranty, pimped option 2006 E55 with as long a factory warranty as possible. More costly but hey, you'll love the car and keep it forever, so it'll be $ well spent

PM me if you want my personal list of 'must have' options and mods, k?

Glad to help,

Skeeter
Old 01-06-2008, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Look at the E63, the 2007s are reasonably priced, that is before going with the E55. If you do go with the E55, get an 05 or 06. Be patient and the right ride will come along. As you wait, the prices will decline further.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 PM

Looks like I have to extend my search to '05 cars based on you guys.
There is really nice '04 I am going to see Monday, the color and the options are exactly what I would order if I had to drop the money for brand new one.

Now we have to agree on the price they willing to pay for my '02 Audi S8

Thanks again
Old 01-06-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Only thing you need to look at: your financial statements. If you can afford it, GET IT
Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by KrisKeeney
Only thing you need to look at: your financial statements. If you can afford it, GET IT

Last edited by CrazyINP; 01-06-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
SL 500
Make sure you one with the dynamic seats too - they are super!!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketman
Make sure you one with the dynamic seats too - they are super!!!!
That one has it, I believe the only one that doesn't is the "pano" sunroof
Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 PM

Mercedes E55 AMG
This post applies to cars purchased from a dealer:
I would get a warranty for sure. But either way, negotiate in writing that the dealer give you at least a week to decide on accessories and consumable replacement parts/service for such things as batteries/brakes/etc. in which it's done at their cost. They rarely fight you on this (especially if they know you'll take parts dept. purchases and service at another dealer anyway) and it'll save you a ton of money.

If the car is a CPO, demand to have a copy of the list of things they changed/fixed with the car before certifying it. Mine was huge and very illuminating (I was very impressed as the dealer replaced so much stuff that they certainly could have hidden). Then demand to have the list of service performed on the vehicle over its lifetime of owners. This will tell you if there is an ongoing issue(s) with the car and how caring the previous owner(s) were. By the way, I would only buy a car that's had only one owner to date. The more the owners, the more beat the car as a generality. Resale prices for AMGs heavily favor one owner cars as well.