ecu/tcu/load limiter thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
ecu/tcu/load limiter thoughts

after the problems from mb's secondary air pump ecu flash and since modding i've always been concerned with the ecu or more so, the tcu and altered load limiter parameters. my concerns stem partly because i can run 1.70 60' times with street tires on heavy 19" rims but i can't seem to improve those times with the super lightweight ccw 16" rims and mickey thompson d/r's. the other reasons form my concern are that i believe i can feel the load limiter preventing full power in 1st and 2nd gear and my transmission will also shift out of those gears at wot, even when in manual mode.

i'd really like to know what the parameters are. obviously, they're not enough to have prevented me from twisting my axle in the diff and destroying both but i'd like to know what we're dealing with and what the possible options are. the tcu/ load limiters are an area that really haven't been addressed and i think it's time tuners start looking in that direction.

please discuss...
Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Hey Mikey,

The load limits placed on the transmission are controlled by the EGS computer. We had the EGS reprogrammed on Finny's car as a test bed and were able to remove all the load limiters and raise the torque limit to 1000nm.

So, currently, I can do that reprogramming and take those limits out of there. The other half of the puzzle is reinforcing the transmission itself... Having the EGS done is fine but it will put more strain on the tranny and will cause it to fail earlier than normal.. Each car is different so you might be able to get away with your stock tranny for a while before it needs to be replaced.

We are working on a complete tranny upgrade which involves a drop-in, reinforced 55 transmission + the reprogrammed EGS module. This is the only way to overcome the issues 100% and if you want piece of mind, you do both at the same time and then forget about it.

The last piece of the puzzle is we are working on stronger half-shafts (rated at 1000hp). Combining these stronger half-shafts with the Quaiffe diff and the tranny mods will give you the complete package for drivetrain enhancements.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
so do you think i'm laying blame appropriately? are the symptoms i'm describing a direct result of these systems?

i do remember you talking about the egs, but iirc, you weren't able to perform any reprogramming on '03 models. is this still the case.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Vrus,
What dose the EGS stand for?
And is it standalone or within the TCU?

electronic gear shift?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Don't confuse EGS with Speedshift reprogramming.

EGS controls the tranny functions.. Speedshift is an enhancement that is made to the EGS programming but the 2 are mutually exclusive.. The 03 cars cant get Speedshift enhancements because of the different version of Canbus.. BUT, the EGS reprogramming to get rid of the load limiters CAN be done to them.

As for the symptoms, YES.. I believe the symptoms you are describing are because of the load limits in the EGS.

Originally Posted by chiromikey
so do you think i'm laying blame appropriately? are the symptoms i'm describing a direct result of these systems?

i do remember you talking about the egs, but iirc, you weren't able to perform any reprogramming on '03 models. is this still the case.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I also think everyone needs to keep the TQ converter in mind. Replace that with a 3 disc setup IMO. I love all the other things Victor is talking about. Looks like I'll be at VRP more than I planned.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
I'm in line too...Victor check PM.

Jon
Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
I have been waithing for this TCU/EGS and re-inforcement for a while now...

Without re-inforcements the tranny fails much faster...My Evotech E55 and SL55 competitors, had this problem last summer...

I also think that TCU helps more on th TOP then at the Bottom, this E55 or SL55 with TCU/EGS couldnt launch better then ME with slicks and with wider tyres but at higher speed where catching UP !!!

Victor can I send my TCU for re-programming ???

Its winter time, even we dont have good winter here (no snow, clear roads) it still cold and I dont drive the car (dont like to drive it when I cant push it)...
Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I have been holding back on it because we are putting all the pieces together.

We will have a complete bullet-proof driveline & transmission upgrade available. If you want to roll around with 700++ horsepower, eventually you are going to roast your tranny.

I'll post some pics and details once we firm up.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
Is the tranny in the 65's built stronger or different then the 55's to handle the extra power, torque? Are you looking into beefing up the 65 tranny as well?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The 65 tranny is stronger than the 55. We are looking into the issue of possibly reinforcing the SL65 beast once we get to the power levels we want. Just not sure how much it can take at this point..

Step 1 will be to remove all the torque limiters and see where we go from there.

Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
Is the tranny in the 65's built stronger or different then the 55's to handle the extra power, torque? Are you looking into beefing up the 65 tranny as well?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
There are couple of companies that offer this mod (evotech/Mkb) so basiacally going to offer somethihng simular...

Have tested and dynoed the car with TCU upgrade ???