W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Aftermarket warranty or new car: Should I be tripping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008 | 12:31 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
Aftermarket warranty or new car: Should I be tripping?

My back is up to the wall, my hand is being forced. 46k just came up on the clock. Gulp. 2005, love my car, but clearly something has to break.

For some reason I am UTTERLY paranoid about getting a warranty from Mercury or the like. Don't want to get jammed, deal with claims denials, get hassles over a mod or two... To the point where I'm seriously considering getting another car even though I love the E.

Is my fear well founded, or am I tripping, as we used to say in high school?

Should I trader her in and add $15k to get a CPO'd CLS55?

I had to pass on the SL600 I was looking at. Get this: I checked with my insurance (currently 2 speeding tickets, soon to be only 1), currently @ $3.6k/year (used to be half that before the tix). Change to the SL600 (2006) and they wanted $7k/year! WTF is that?! Thats over $500/month in insurance! But I digress...

Is my fear of the extended warranty company well founded? Should I stop worrying and just fork over $3k or so and keep the E and assume that the coverage will be there with minimal hassle? Or, having the $ right now, do I trade her in and stay with MBUSA coverage on a newer car?

Thanks, I gotta do something NOW!

Skeeter
Old 01-17-2008 | 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Much ado about nothin'.
I had a Mercury warranty on a 911TT and on a 210 E55. Had 1 claim on the Porsche, all went perfectly. No claims on the E55 so I got a refund and applied it to the 911.

I've got the Daimler Chrysler warranty on my CL55 and the only claim I had was also perfect. (Mercury wasn't writing AMG's at this time last year.)

Just don't pick Warranties R Us and you should be fine.
Old 01-17-2008 | 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Or if you are a regular at certain MB dealer, get an extended warranty from them. At least if your claim is denied, you could raise hell w/ the finance dept.
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
How has the car been to this point? If it's been OK I don't think the car will just implode after the warranty is up.

How long do you plan on keeping the car?
Old 01-17-2008 | 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by zoink
Or if you are a regular at certain MB dealer, get an extended warranty from them. At least if your claim is denied, you could raise hell w/ the finance dept.
I have heard this is possible before the original warranty expires, Might be a good investment.
On the other hand, some after market warranties cover more items than the OEM warranty.
The more time you invest in shopping and investigating the warranty issue the less "tripping" you will experience.
Old 01-18-2008 | 07:12 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
cte430, the car has had the usual problems but nothing unusually bad. 'Charger pump and clutch (replaced pump & new 2006 s/c and s/c clutch put in under warranty), wierd brake proportioning valve problem, a few other small problems. I'm in love with the car and (if I knew that the warranty coverage was there) would probably keep it at least another year or two, or until something really exciting comes along. Assuming my money stays as good as it is now. Of course if it gets better...

Yacht, Zoink, I can't extend through MBUSA because I'm not the original owner and bought it from a Porche dealer (traded in on a 911t). What's with that policy? Every other car I've owned, you could extend to as much as they offered new as long as the car was still under factory warranty. I really lost respect for MB over this policy, which seems like a transparent attempt to force you to buy from a dealer (where prices were over $10k more for the car that I paid for it). Not cool. If I could get a MBUSA warranty, I wouldn't have posted and would have long ago done so.

Ok, sounds like Iver heard enough good things about Mercury and Chrysler. I'll get on it. Anyone have coverage through one of these on an E55 with a pulley swap? Problems?

Anyone have a direct line into a sales person with one of these two providers who has treated you well and given a good deal in the past? Otherwise I'll just call the 800 number I guess...

Thanks again, this board is my favorite car site ever.

Skeeter
Old 01-18-2008 | 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
No what I mean is that usually dealers also sell aftermarket warranty... it's not from MBUSA, it's from 3rd party.

So if you're a regular at a certain dealer and buy their 3rd party aftermarket extended warranty, I think the chance you get denied from your claim is a lot lower since the dealer, who is the seller of the warranty also, is likely able to stand behind what they're selling.

Even if your claim got denied, you could raise hell to the person at that dealership who sold you the warranty.
Old 01-19-2008 | 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by zoink
No what I mean is that usually dealers also sell aftermarket warranty... it's not from MBUSA, it's from 3rd party.

So if you're a regular at a certain dealer and buy their 3rd party aftermarket extended warranty, I think the chance you get denied from your claim is a lot lower since the dealer, who is the seller of the warranty also, is likely able to stand behind what they're selling.

Even if your claim got denied, you could raise hell to the person at that dealership who sold you the warranty.
+1 to that. Seems each dealer has a preferred aftermarket company they like to use...and SOME will not accept other after market warranties other than the ones they sell because of problems with collections. They'll do the work, but will insist that YOU pay for the repairs and that YOU collect from your after market warranty company.

So, if the prices are close, go with the one that the dealership in your area will use without you having to put the money up front for the repairs.