W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this how it's gonna be? Dealer service issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 AM

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon
Angry Is this how it's gonna be? Dealer service issues.

Well - so far, my E55 has been at the dealer more than my last 3 cars combined. Of course - I still love it - but wonder if I can have a long term relationship with it.

It had a tranny leak, an oil leak and the last was an airbag warning light.

It was time for my 10K mile service, so I brought it in to do that, and fix the light.

Should be one day. I call the next day and the SA tells me they found 2 leaks that they are fixing - valve covers and oil pan gasket.

Pick up car. all seems to be ok. Then I notice a slight whine that I never had before. And a goofy ticking at idle. And - there is a wad of tape like stuff on the floorboards. Figure that was tape from the wiring harness.

Then - I open the back - the access panel not put back properly and the + battery terminal cover is thrown in the back. Not a biggie - but shows a general lack of attention to detail and makes you question the overall work quality.

Then - a day or so later - discover that the steering wheel shifters don't work. Probably didn't plug something in correctly when mucking with airbag wiring harness.

Any ideas about the SLIGHT whine and/or ticking? It's easier to hear from drivers side than passengers. Whine comes and goes. It's NOT that same as the initial whine that occurs when you first fire up the car.

Thought I would ask here before heading back there - I despise going back to fix something they caused - it gives me little hope they will fix THIS problem without creating 2 more.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Any way you can take it to a different dealer? Sounds like the current dealer has some crappy techs.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG 2010, Black, Pano, P2
Hi, I feel your pain. I had a similar problem with a MBZ dealer in Huntigton NY with my SL55. Everytime I would bring a car for service, they would break something. I used to visit them at least several times a week so they can fix stuff that they broke.

So what did I do? I switched the dealer, I started to going to a another dealer and all problems disappeared. I know I would never go to MBX at Huntigton -- very bad service department.

My suggestion switch to a different dealer.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Go to a different dealer. It may be inconvenient but it makes all the difference.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 AM

There's another dealer on the other side of town - but it's the same owner. Hopefully the techs are better.

I'll give them an opportunity to fix what they screwed up once, and then I'll move to the other dealer.

Sigh.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
That definitely is not normal. The only "normal" in there is the light that is a bad sensor in the seat. they fix it within an hour and you are gone. I am picky as snot about leaks and have seen almost NOTHING, even with the synthetic and i drive the crap out of my car.
Electrical gremlins, maybe.
True mechanical issues? Not many.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Uber Wagon
There's another dealer on the other side of town - but it's the same owner. Hopefully the techs are better.

I'll give them an opportunity to fix what they screwed up once, and then I'll move to the other dealer.

Sigh.
It is nice to have so many mod friendly dealers and techs around here. You should focus less on where and more on the people.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
That definitely is not normal. The only "normal" in there is the light that is a bad sensor in the seat. they fix it within an hour and you are gone. I am picky as snot about leaks and have seen almost NOTHING, even with the synthetic and i drive the crap out of my car.
Electrical gremlins, maybe.
True mechanical issues? Not many.
Not all cars are created equal Jangster. Some people have absolute nightmares out of the gate while others coast through without a problem. I consider myself very lucky that I haven't had any issues with my M5, and I know that I'm the exception to the rule in that case. The key is having a good dealership that takes responsibility and doesn't allow slobs to half-a$$ jobs.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that they don't get paid well for warranty jobs. Many people overlook that little fact. At one dealer I used to go to the techs didn't get paid AT ALL for warranty jobs. That's why I always ask to meet and speak with the guy who's going to be working on my car, and I make sure I tip the hell out of him if he does a big job.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Not all cars are created equal Jangster. Some people have absolute nightmares out of the gate while others coast through without a problem. I consider myself very lucky that I haven't had any issues with my M5, and I know that I'm the exception to the rule in that case. The key is having a good dealership that takes responsibility and doesn't allow slobs to half-a$$ jobs.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that they don't get paid well for warranty jobs. Many people overlook that little fact. At one dealer I used to go to the techs didn't get paid AT ALL for warranty jobs. That's why I always ask to meet and speak with the guy who's going to be working on my car, and I make sure I tip the hell out of him if he does a big job.

Now that is very true. I've been through some lemons myself. Perhaps it is the car, but it could also be the work done on the car. I am picky and want to know exactly what they are doing. I hate openning any engine seal and consider it surgery.
All I was trying to let the OP know is that there is hope with the E55s, but for that to happen he may want to find a good relationship with his tech. If he doesn't plan to mod, then no biggie.

BTW, you are lucky as snot. Easily, 3 of 4 M5 owners want out. I think most of those aren't real drivers, though.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Now that is very true. I've been through some lemons myself. Perhaps it is the car, but it could also be the work done on the car. I am picky and want to know exactly what they are doing. I hate openning any engine seal and consider it surgery.
All I was trying to let the OP know is that there is hope with the E55s, but for that to happen he may want to find a good relationship with his tech. If he doesn't plan to mod, then no biggie.

BTW, you are lucky as snot. Easily, 3 of 4 M5 owners want out. I think most of those aren't real drivers, though.
Ya, ur right on that.

Friend of mine has an M5 he just got maybe 4 months ago, and despises it. I wasn't impressed with it either...rides like a go-cart and shifts like an 18-wheeler. Literally, your head jerks back and forth every time you hit a shift point, and it makes a kind of crack/thunk sound when it engages. That, plus the plasticky smell the interior got when sitting in the sun started making me carsick.

If that go-cart routine is really the driving experience you want, for the same price you can go get a nice low-mile 355-F1 spider or something. At least then you'd have a drop top and the prancing pony to add some benefit to the equation.

No offense to the M5 diehards around here, but that tranny just kills it for me. It would have to be just a weekend car, at best.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM

At this point, I am not planning on any mods - I have a very long extended warranty and we play with the race car - and not the daily driver.

I too absolutely HATE it when folks break factory seals.... valve covers, oil pan, etc. It's never good and sometimes creates more problems / leaks than what you started with.

I've had a long standing relationship with my "other brand" tech and so I am spoiled. But this is new territory - and honestly - it's not as easy to get directly to the techs at the Mercedes dealer - as they seem to keep them rather hidden. ha ha.

Anyhow - they'll get one last chance and then I leave.

I will say that replying to the quality survery with an unsatisfactory and they get right on it. ;-)
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think a lot of people don't know what they're getting into with their M5's. They just like the badges and the status, and don't realize the compromises they're going to have to make. I love the rough tranny, I signed up for it knowing full well that no one in my car is going to be comfy all the time. My girl cannot possibly do her makeup on anything other than a glassy surface and nobody is taking a nap, especially with me behind the wheel.

It's a performance car, 4-door Ferrari, not a commuter bro.

And CWW, I dunno about the plasticky smell of the interior, but then again I sprung for the ~$3,500 Merino Indy Red Interior.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I think a lot of people don't know what they're getting into with their M5's. They just like the badges and the status, and don't realize the compromises they're going to have to make. I love the rough tranny, I signed up for it knowing full well that no one in my car is going to be comfy all the time. My girl cannot possibly do her makeup on anything other than a glassy surface and nobody is taking a nap, especially with me behind the wheel.

It's a performance car, 4-door Ferrari, not a commuter bro.

And CWW, I dunno about the plasticky smell of the interior, but then again I sprung for the ~$3,500 Merino Indy Red Interior.
Praise the baby jesus, you said it all.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
LOL, I dunno if it is the word of the baby or not, but it is ball parkish. Not to pee in the cup for ya, but while I liked the "feel" on the M5 it just isn't a very good "street warrior". Wide open and on a track, yes. I don't even mind having to pay attention to what gear i am in and that kind of crap that I have forgotten about, but it just doesn't go as fast as it feels. The wheels chirp on each gear, though.