Sponsored by:

*** VR600 for M113 Kompressor ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Exactly. i still have so much that I want and the budget is getting tapped. I still need LSD, toe links, etc. so I'd best hold off at 600hp for now. I'm really going to be shocked if I don't need cooling, though. i hit it pretty hard.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by jangy
Exactly. i still have so much that I want and the budget is getting tapped. I still need LSD, toe links, etc. so I'd best hold off at 600hp for now. I'm really going to be shocked if I don't need cooling, though. i hit it pretty hard.
I hear you dude! Cooling should be next on your list.
I run my SL55 really hard everywhere I go. My SC was continuality shutting off. It just pissed me off! Because of that, I wanted more power with cooling, which is why I went with the VR700. But at the same time, I want my engine to last, that's why I went with the 5.7 bottom. Now I can add a lot more boost all will be good. Even better!
Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Zod
u evil man ! the search box must never be used! give linky plx!
you'll have to use the search yourself if you want to see the graph.

iirc, i got around 12hp through the entire powerband on a dyno dynamics machine (sorry i don't use dynojets so i'm not sure how much more hp that equates to for the guys that like big numbers). doesn't sound like much but 12hp through 4 thousand usable rpms is huge! it was worth .3sec and 3mph in the 1/4mile which is the REAL test.

...and since this thread went into cooling mods, under typical circumstances they're overrated unless you can upgrade the intercooler itself. just make sure your pump is working properly and you'll see 95% of your cars potential. i've gone further than anyone this side of slr style coolers and it's given me no gains in 1/4mile times (with exception to adding ice to the remote reservoir which was good for .1sec but not worth the trouble). now if you're road racing or running 30 second blasts from 0-200mph you'll see the benefits. imho, the best cooling mod is long tube headers and free flowing exhaust!
Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I've never had the temp go above 90 and definitely no sc shut offs. Then again, the car has JUST been modded and I don't even have it back, Yet!!!
Cooling will be the next mod for sure.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by chiromikey
...and since this thread went into cooling mods, under typical circumstances they're overrated unless you can upgrade the intercooler itself. just make sure your pump is working properly and you'll see 95% of your cars potential. i've gone further than anyone this side of slr style coolers and it's given me no gains in 1/4mile times (with exception to adding ice to the remote reservoir which was good for .1sec but not worth the trouble). now if you're road racing or running 30 second blasts from 0-200mph you'll see the benefits. imho, the best cooling mod is long tube headers and free flowing exhaust!
I agree with your cooling theory on long tube headers and free flowing exhaust. I wanted an IC cooling upgrade because it separates the IC from the engine coolant. That's a no-brainer to me and I don't see how that's overrated. I don't expect to see any hp gains from this though, it's more like an insurance policy, especially with all the modds I'm adding at once.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Havoc
I agree with your cooling theory on long tube headers and free flowing exhaust. I wanted an IC cooling upgrade because it separates the IC from the engine coolant. That's a no-brainer to me and I don't see how that's overrated. I don't expect to see any hp gains from this though, it's more like an insurance policy, especially with all the modds I'm adding at once.
separating the engine coolant from the i/c coolant isn't what i meant by overrated, i think that should have been done by mb. i've been running an asp pulley since day one and once i had the new mb pump installed i never had much of a problem and never saw any performance improvements in 1/4mile times or et's even though data logging showed a decent drop in iat's.

separating the i/c circuit, getting a quality pump, and ANY larger h/e is a good upgrade but i just don't think it's needed as much as everyone else does around here.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

separating the engine coolant from the i/c coolant isn't what i meant by overrated, i think that should have been done by mb.
Yeah, what's up with that? MB or at least AMG should have been on top of this one!
Good point though, I hear what you're saying.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
I have been looking into better exhaust header design for exhaust manifolds on 55s for some time now. Back in 2004 I have designed a shorty style header that is now sold by evosport. Although pretty, it's ultimate limitation is 1.625'' primaries. There is only so much exhaust that can flow through small diameter pipe.

We at VRP already offer a full-length race style headers, more info can be found on our website - www.vrptuning.com

This time around I had a bit more time and following criteria for the design.

1. It had to be a shorty design that will retain stock location for catalytic converters.

2. Easy, bolt in installation that can be done by a dealer or any DIY mechanic.

3. Lower price point, none of us likes to pay $3000 for headers.

4. Reliable - more complex the design, more welds it has, more chances for leaks and failures.

5. Most importantly - it has to make power.

After much trial and error the design you see is what we are going to test next week. I have tried several designs in my quest for equal length, but none could pass first four criteria. Either it required hands like a child for installation or will take a lot of labor to build, which raises the cost or will require moving engine from engine mounts for installation.

Here it is.

Truly I can not call it a header. It is a HiFlow Exhaust Manifold or HEM for short. I have increased the diameter primary pipes to 1.75'', moved last primary away from interferring with other three cylinders, opened up exhaust flange that mates to the exhaust manifolds to 2'' and most importantly added volume to the collector to reduce backpressure.

In my estimation it should be worth 15-20 RWHP. I will have more dyno date next week.

Thank you for listening!

Stay Tuned!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Keith.. Buddy.. Where you been?? You dont call, you dont write...

It is kind of scarey that we have the same thought processes... You are right about that.. lol..

Jangy will get there... He's just moving at a little bit of a slower pace... Once we get VR600 on there and all sorted out, he'll be asking for 650 and then 700... lol..

Hey Jangy: No kill stories to report so far?

Hey Jangy, just follow my lead. VRP is headed in the same direction I am. Victor and I share the same brain..
Are You Game?
Can you say 5.7?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Mikey.. I dont know about this one... On my car when I installed just the Evosport kit and put the pump to run all the time, I saw a big drop in IAT.. I was getting 5 - 10 over ambient and in the really hot humid months 15 over ambient..

My IAT were always over 140 in stock form.. i was hitting 160 most of the time.. My personal experience was that the extra H/E, separating the cooling circuit, and rigging the pump to run all the time was a necessity to maintain a consistent car..

Now, the only thing is when I made this change MB wasnt offering a revised pump so I didnt have the ability to try the new factory Bosch replacement pump before spending the cash on the Evosport setup.

separating the engine coolant from the i/c coolant isn't what i meant by overrated, i think that should have been done by mb. i've been running an asp pulley since day one and once i had the new mb pump installed i never had much of a problem and never saw any performance improvements in 1/4mile times or et's even though data logging showed a decent drop in iat's.

separating the i/c circuit, getting a quality pump, and ANY larger h/e is a good upgrade but i just don't think it's needed as much as everyone else does around here.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vrus

Jangy will get there... He's just moving at a little bit of a slower pace... Once we get VR600 on there and all sorted out, he'll be asking for 650 and then 700... lol..
Hey Boss!! I'm still around.
Just real busy since things have started to heat up again on this end as you may have heard.

Yeah, I agree. Jangy is in denial. He has the sickness just as bad.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mikey.. I dont know about this one... On my car when I installed just the Evosport kit and put the pump to run all the time, I saw a big drop in IAT.. I was getting 5 - 10 over ambient and in the really hot humid months 15 over ambient..

My IAT were always over 140 in stock form.. i was hitting 160 most of the time.. My personal experience was that the extra H/E, separating the cooling circuit, and rigging the pump to run all the time was a necessity to maintain a consistent car..

Now, the only thing is when I made this change MB wasnt offering a revised pump so I didnt have the ability to try the new factory Bosch replacement pump before spending the cash on the Evosport setup.
i definitely see a reduction in iat's with the i/c upgrade. in my experience, this upgrade isn't a performance enhancer when discussing 1/4mile times compared to the upgraded bosch pump. however, in any race beyond the 1/4mile it's a necessity if you want to maintain power.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
i definitely see a reduction in iat's with the i/c upgrade. in my experience, this upgrade isn't a performance enhancer when discussing 1/4mile times compared to the upgraded bosch pump. however, in any race beyond the 1/4mile it's a necessity if you want to maintain power.
So in laim terms
in a hot environment

is the evo cooling kit with evo pump enough for back to back runs (sometimes over 200kph) and traffic light stopping?

is a shorty header good enough?

or is the long header one going to show a huge difference? (has it been tested to show this?) also doesnt the long tube header trigger CEL?

Does this all change with the addition of a pulley?

thanks

Last edited by Zod; 03-28-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
Here it is.

Truly I can not call it a header. It is a HiFlow Exhaust Manifold or HEM for short. I have increased the diameter primary pipes to 1.75'', moved last primary away from interferring with other three cylinders, opened up exhaust flange that mates to the exhaust manifolds to 2'' and most importantly added volume to the collector to reduce backpressure.

In my estimation it should be worth 15-20 RWHP. I will have more dyno date next week.

Thank you for listening!

Stay Tuned!

]

WOW nice, really ingenious
Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
So technically...ecu/pulley, 80 MM TB and the SHORTY headers will reach 600...or at least that is what you're aiming at...is there any info on what kind of power gains there would be in putting the long tube in place of the SHORTY headers?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
I had my heart set on the Evo Shorties...until now...

Vadim,

Since you are the creator of both, do you suspect the newly designed VRP shorties will perform just as well as the Evo ones if not better?

I should get the shorties before the ECU tune...
Old 03-28-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zod
So in laim terms
in a hot environment

is the evo cooling kit with evo pump enough for back to back runs (sometimes over 200kph) and traffic light stopping?

is a shorty header good enough?

or is the long header one going to show a huge difference? (has it been tested to show this?) also doesnt the long tube header trigger CEL?

Does this all change with the addition of a pulley?

thanks
well, i've witnessed more than one e55 with the new bosch pump snap off many back to back (think 10 or more) 1/4mile runs and never show any signs of heat soak. and this is in 90+ degree weather. anything significantly over 200kph (125mph) would probably start to show symptoms. any cooling kit will give good enough results as long as it contains the parts to separate the the i/c and engine coolant.

i've never tried a shorty but hp wise it may be good enough...obviously the long tube will be better. if you're talking about removing heat from the motor i don't think the shorty can compare. you will have to have the cel programmed out if you get rid of the primary cats.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
So technically...ecu/pulley, 80 MM TB and the SHORTY headers will reach 600...or at least that is what you're aiming at...is there any info on what kind of power gains there would be in putting the long tube in place of the SHORTY headers?
Yes, the VR600 will be HiFlow Filters, Pulleys Kit, 80 mm TB, shorty headers and Powerchip software. I am aiming for around 500-510RWHP. Long tubes will add another 15 and fatter midrange.

Since you are the creator of both, do you suspect the newly designed VRP shorties will perform just as well as the Evo ones if not better?

I should get the shorties before the ECU tune...
Yes, I am expecting similar gains.

Here is the order I would recommend:

1. Pulleys kit
2. Software
3. 80TB or shorties
4. Air Box
5. Cams
6. HE upgrade kit can be added at any time for more consistent performance, especially in warm climates.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
Vadim, will the new headers also be ceramic coated? would a similar setup work on the E63?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The new headers will be coated inside and out and will share the same design with the 63 platform. We made flanges for both cars.. Once we test them on both cars and do some dyno pulls we will know for sure if the 1 design will work on both platforms.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Vadim, will the new headers also be ceramic coated? would a similar setup work on the E63?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212

It is kind of scarey that we have the same thought processes... You are right about that.. lol..

Hey Jangy: No kill stories to report so far?
Kill stories? LOL, where do I begin. I haven't had time to post, but I have been giving feedback to Vadim. The car continues to be a MONSTER. Best kill to date: A new silver SRT10 Viper. He was SOOOOO arrogant that he even flicked me off at the end. Slews of Zo6s. But, best of all I will be headed to Willow Springs with a bunch of exotics, including open wheel cars. We'll see how I handle the Spyker this time with more power.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Hey Boss!! I'm still around.
Just real busy since things have started to heat up again on this end as you may have heard.

Yeah, I agree. Jangy is in denial. He has the sickness just as bad.
I'm sick for sure. I just want suspension stuff now. I'll get back into the motor or tranny when I break it. For now, It pulls pretty hard. You gotta remember, my car is running. I'd almost bet it is the fastest DD in here. That is why I love he tuner and tune. It isn't just set to fly. Even at normal speeds, it is just a purring kitten.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Jangy - You got the shorty headers or LT?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
I'm sick for sure. I just want suspension stuff now. I'll get back into the motor or tranny when I break it. For now, It pulls pretty hard. You gotta remember, my car is running. I'd almost bet it is the fastest DD in here. That is why I love he tuner and tune. It isn't just set to fly. Even at normal speeds, it is just a purring kitten.
Yeah, a purring kitten with tiger-like claws. Great kill stories by the way!!
I can't wait to get some kill stories of my own. Dude, Willow Springs is in my backyard. We need to meet up there one day.

Hey, do you really notice a difference as you put miles on your beast that all your mods and tune come together?
...and are your temps still below 90 and with no sc shut offs?
Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by supre55
Jangy - You got the shorty headers or LT?
I have neither right now. I have been waiting for Vadim's newer design to the logs. I may consider the long ones after Vadim is done with these.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** VR600 for M113 Kompressor ***