Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
7 dead at drag race

Maryland

Hope that no one here has any level of involvement.

You never think it will happen to you.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Heard about it this morning, very sad.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I almost went there last night. I'm glad I didnt. From what I've heard some drunk guy in a caprice was driving down the road with his headlights off and veered into a crowd of 50 people! It apparently wasnt a result of street racing, besides the fact that the people watching wouldnt have been there if it werent for racing. There are vids of the bodies laying around, its disturbing. 210 was the place where alot of people went to race late at night. Guess that wont be happening anymore. I just hope they dont crack down on car meets (not racing) as a result of this.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
It's a very sad story but it's another reason to take it to the track. People excercising bad judgement once again. Eventhough the racers weren't involved, the idiot following them wouldn't have been there if it were an actual track. Too many of these multiple fatality accidents in the news lately. Useless waste of life again.

Last edited by Dragoncoach; 02-16-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG 2010, Black, Pano, P2
I am not sure about statistics of auto fatalities but I am assuming that most are not due to speeding. I think most fatalities are due to DUI, people disobeying traffic devices such as red lights or stop signs. However, speeding and racing usually gets a lot more publicity and as a result there is an "assumption" that "speeding kills".
Old 02-16-2008, 05:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be $40.4 billion per year. In 2005, speeding was a contributing factor in 30 percent of all fatal crashes, and 13,113 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...629/810629.htm

Last edited by RJC; 02-16-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RJC
Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be $40.4 billion per year. In 2005, speeding was a contributing factor in 30 percent of all fatal crashes, and 13,113 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...629/810629.htm
Interesting statistics. I think the problem is that the speed limit of 55 is really low. Most people don't drive 55, so pretty much any crash on the highway can be considered due to speeding. I live in NY and the speed limit of 55 is just funny. Also, if the authorities bump the limit up to say 80MPH, what would that do the speeding stats? How would they qualify it -- "just crash"?

Also the reasons for introducing speed 55MPH speed limit had nothing to do with safety or fatalities : http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...=Article&id=94

Now speeding tickets are just a way for local governments to collect $$$ -- almost like a tax for people who want to drive fast. So there is very little push to actually increase speed limits -- too much money is being made on this.

So even if they lower the speed limit, that would probably not decrease fatalities but statistically speaking a larger % would be attributed to speeding. Sounds to me a numbers game. Imagine that the speed limit is say 20MPH then I would assume 99% of accidents can be attributed to speeding.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by AlbertM
Interesting statistics. I think the problem is that the speed limit of 55 is really low. Most people don't drive 55, so pretty much any crash on the highway can be considered due to speeding. I live in NY and the speed limit of 55 is just funny. Also, if the authorities bump the limit up to say 80MPH, what would that do the speeding stats? How would they qualify it -- "just crash"?

Also the reasons for introducing speed 55MPH speed limit had nothing to do with safety or fatalities : http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...=Article&id=94

Now speeding tickets are just a way for local governments to collect $$$ -- almost like a tax for people who want to drive fast. So there is very little push to actually increase speed limits -- too much money is being made on this.

So even if they lower the speed limit, that would probably not decrease fatalities but statistically speaking a larger % would be attributed to speeding. Sounds to me a numbers game. Imagine that the speed limit is say 20MPH then I would assume 99% of accidents can be attributed to speeding.
+1. I've been trying to argue this point forever. Speed limits are an arbitrary number. The key to speeding related accidents is driving faster than conditions safely allow, be that at 25mph or 100mph.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:16 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes I remember when they intro'd the 55 limit (am I old or what) and it was mainly to save gas.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:18 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by SleepersRock
+1. I've been trying to argue this point forever. Speed limits are an arbitrary number. The key to speeding related accidents is driving faster than conditions safely allow, be that at 25mph or 100mph.
+1,000,000,000.

Exceeding the speed limit by any amount does not cause accidents. Driving too fast for conditions, whatever they may be, is the cause of accidents that are attributed to speeding.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 PM

I would have to say that most people in US are poor drivers. It is very easy to get a license. So we end up with drivers with very poor driving skills. What really gets me is when I drive in the left lane and some slow jack a..s just wont let you through. You wont find that in Europe, people yield to faster drivers, slow drive on the right and fast drive on the left. Here in US, every lane is a slow lane. Most lack basic driving education and not prepared for any emergency maneuvering -- so we get accidents. Instead of focusing on speed limits -- educate the public first.

Tiered licenses would be good, if you pass advanced driving course and get certified -- you get to drive faster then others. You pay some fee (instead of speeding tickets) and you get to enjoy your fast ride -- i like that
Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by RJC
Yes I remember when they intro'd the 55 limit (am I old or what) and it was mainly to save gas.
I stopped believing that someone out there cares about our well being. It is all about money and power. Speed limits benefit too many with power, why should they let it go?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Most Americans are simply not responsible enough for 100 mph++ speed limits on our interstates and as I'm sure you know getting a driver's license in Germany is a whole other process than what's required here...
Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65
I stopped believing that someone out there cares about our well being. It is all about money and power. Speed limits benefit too many with power, why should they let it go?
Autobahn
Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 E350 Coupe (3rd Benz)
Originally Posted by RJC
Most Americans are simply not responsible enough for 100 mph++ speed limits on our interstates and as I'm sure you know getting a driver's license in Germany is a whole other process than what's required here...
Some can barley handle anything over 45, some crazy *** ***** almost ran me off the road today, I went all the way over the line into the dirt on a 55mph, I was in the Audi, lucky me. I then went to catch up with her, to confront her and she just flicked me off and kept driving rude.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:46 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

She runs you off the road then gives you the finger

Originally Posted by intellilogic
Some can barley handle anything over 45, some crazy *** ***** almost ran me off the road today, I went all the way over the line into the dirt on a 55mph, I was in the Audi, lucky me. I then went to catch up with her, to confront her and she just flicked me off and kept driving rude.
Ahh, another classic case of "f/u and horray for me"...it's the American way you know
Old 02-17-2008, 01:53 AM
fq1

I would have to say that most people in US are poor drivers. It is very easy to get a license. So we end up with drivers with very poor driving skills. What really gets me is when I drive in the left lane and some slow jack a..s just wont let you through. You wont find that in Europe, people yield to faster drivers, slow drive on the right and fast drive on the left. Here in US, every lane is a slow lane. Most lack basic driving education and not prepared for any emergency maneuvering -- so we get accidents. Instead of focusing on speed limits -- educate the public first.

Tiered licenses would be good, if you pass advanced driving course and get certified -- you get to drive faster then others. You pay some fee (instead of speeding tickets) and you get to enjoy your fast ride -- i like that
A slow left lane is a relatively minor offense in my opinion. The real **** morons are the ones who realize about a 100ft from an exit that maybe they need to take that exit and just stop in the left lane (or any lane for that matter) of a multilane highway until they can start moving towards the exit causing every lane to slow down. And if you honk, you are the considered the rude one. All those state driving manuals written by people of way below average intelligence working for the government emphasize which way to turn the wheel on an incline (which is especially funny in the midwestern prairie states that are flat as a pancake and where 99.999% of drivers drive auto transmission cars) but do not mention once that if you make a mistake and miss a turn or exit, DO NOT compound your error by just stopping in the lane, go straight and take the next turn or exit. In my opinion those instances are of greater risk than a driver not knowing which way to turn his wheel while parking a car on an incline.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///AMG
Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by fq1
A slow left lane is a relatively minor offense in my opinion. The real **** morons are the ones who realize about a 100ft from an exit that maybe they need to take that exit and just stop in the left lane (or any lane for that matter) of a multilane highway until they can start moving towards the exit causing every lane to slow down. And if you honk, you are the considered the rude one. All those state driving manuals written by people of way below average intelligence working for the government emphasize which way to turn the wheel on an incline (which is especially funny in the midwestern prairie states that are flat as a pancake and where 99.999% of drivers drive auto transmission cars) but do not mention once that if you make a mistake and miss a turn or exit, DO NOT compound your error by just stopping in the lane, go straight and take the next turn or exit. In my opinion those instances are of greater risk than a driver not knowing which way to turn his wheel while parking a car on an incline.
I disagree on the left-lane "police"...I think they're the biggest douchebags of all.

Around here, it's this giant ego thing. People just DO NOT want to get passed, and they will do pretty much everything possible to avoid it. You will go tens of miles on a 4-lane highway, with the ego-monster in the left lane perfectly matching the speed of the driver in the right lane just so you can't pass them. And they REFUSE to move over. I used to think I was being paranoid, but then I paid attention to the rednecks in those gigantic diesel trucks. You can actually hear the engine roaring to close the gap every time you turn your blinker on or move forward to get around them. It confirmed exactly what I suspected.

Flashing the lights, honking, etc. doesn't do any good. They just ignore you or flick you off, and continue right along at 65mph in the left lane on I-95, with a huge column of traffic stuck behind them. I have since learned that it's pretty easy to psych them out... I will drop back about a quarter mile and wait for their attention span to wane, which normally doesn't take long since most drivers seem to be on cell phones, text messaging, etc. these days. With the "pressure" off, they eventually get complacent about managing their speed relative to the car next to them, and then I give it the gas and shoot through the gap before they have a chance to close it up.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 PM

540 6spd
Why don't we discuss the # of fatalities caused by drunk driving instead of speed since the fool who smoked these people was hammered and driving with his lights off.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:47 PM

A slow Tahoe!
2003 Tahoe passing on the left will move them over.

Originally Posted by CWW
I disagree on the left-lane "police"...I think they're the biggest douchebags of all.

Around here, it's this giant ego thing. People just DO NOT want to get passed, and they will do pretty much everything possible to avoid it. You will go tens of miles on a 4-lane highway, with the ego-monster in the left lane perfectly matching the speed of the driver in the right lane just so you can't pass them. And they REFUSE to move over. I used to think I was being paranoid, but then I paid attention to the rednecks in those gigantic diesel trucks. You can actually hear the engine roaring to close the gap every time you turn your blinker on or move forward to get around them. It confirmed exactly what I suspected.

Flashing the lights, honking, etc. doesn't do any good. They just ignore you or flick you off, and continue right along at 65mph in the left lane on I-95, with a huge column of traffic stuck behind them. I have since learned that it's pretty easy to psych them out... I will drop back about a quarter mile and wait for their attention span to wane, which normally doesn't take long since most drivers seem to be on cell phones, text messaging, etc. these days. With the "pressure" off, they eventually get complacent about managing their speed relative to the car next to them, and then I give it the gas and shoot through the gap before they have a chance to close it up.
I do most of my weekly driving in my Tahoe, I'll pull up on them and then back off to give them a chance to move over. After that the left shoulder is my new lane. It's funny........after I pass them they decide to get over, I guess there trying to dodge the rocks. My lawyer says I need to take a few classes........but what does he know. J/K he knows a lot.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:14 PM

'34 Lagonda, '69 280SL, '07 E63 wagon
Originally Posted by Hazy1
+1,000,000,000.

Exceeding the speed limit by any amount does not cause accidents. Driving too fast for conditions, whatever they may be, is the cause of accidents that are attributed to speeding.

I agree 100%

90% of traffic citations are issued to people that are driving safely for the conditions and the capabities of the vehicle and the driver. They are (wisely)watching the road rather than their speedometer. I have seen too many housewives pulled over at the bottom of a hill to beleive its about saving lives.

I am not condoning reckless driving or street racing, but the matra of "public saftey" by small town and surburban police is just a cover for a revenue grab. Reckeless teenagers will speed with impunity regardless of the levels of enforcement.

Speed traps also reduces respect for the police. Last year A drunk driver who killed his passenger (and clearly guilty) was acquitted in a jury trial here when jurors stated the testimony of the officer was not credible. Many of them were probably cited for some BS violation which infuenced their opinion of cops.