Paddle Shifters On Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Paddle Shifters On Steering Wheel

How often do you guys use, like when racing someone? Do they make a huge difference? Typically I just seem to leave it in Drive and let the car do the rest........
Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
In Sport, use the paddle to downshift to the correct gear (this eliminates the time that the car takes to "kick down") then mash the peddle, let the car do the rest, it will shift exactly at redline, you won't be able to do better than the computer.

Only do this in Mexico or on a closed course, obviously...
Old 03-04-2008, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by J 2OOI
In Sport, use the paddle to downshift to the correct gear (this eliminates the time that the car takes to "kick down") then mash the peddle, let the car do the rest, it will shift exactly at redline, you won't be able to do better than the computer.

Only do this in Mexico or on a closed course, obviously...

Looking at the odometer, to the left of that where D normally is, it seems if mine says 1,2,3,4 I have to manually shift or else it will just redline. So if I'm on interstate and shift down to 3 it will not shift up by itself.......And where is number 5? I thought these transmissions were 5 speeds? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
I usually put my car in 3 manually (so it doesn't shift up to 4th or 5th) when I am driving around town and let it shift itself from there.

I use the paddles when I am bored and want to shift it myself.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG; 1995 Porsche 993 Cab.
I've found the shifters to be fun, even in Drive mode.

Pull back and hold the down shifter and it will automatically set the right gear for max accel when you mash the pedal as you blast past that annoying person you want to overtake/suprise/scare... then pull back on the up shifter and it will automtically go back into drive mode again. No fiddling with the center shift mode select button required, and both hands stay on the wheel!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63S
Originally Posted by jpohl402
How often do you guys use, like when racing someone? Do they make a huge difference? Typically I just seem to leave it in Drive and let the car do the rest........
I leave mine in S mode most of the time but if I am at a light and plan to race I always use the paddles. Also, if you're driving around and you need to accelerate hard you can left click, hold for 1 sec, and the tranny will automatically drop to the lowest gear it can handle based on the speed you are in so when you punch it its already in a good spot to pull hard.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:11 PM

2012 JDM
Looking at the odometer, to the left of that where D normally is, it seems if mine says 1,2,3,4 I have to manually shift or else it will just redline. So if I'm on interstate and shift down to 3 it will not shift up by itself.......And where is number 5? I thought these transmissions were 5 speeds? Thanks.
Really?? I'm sorry if I have told you wrong! I don't have the E55 anymore--sold it, but I really was thinking that if you downshift using the paddles, then floor it (not creep up on the rev limiter) it will shift on its own.

The only displays that you will see are 1,2,3,4,S (not 5) after 4 it goes back into "S"-- that is normal. You might be able to see "5" if you have it in "M" , mode-- can't remember.

Not that it makes a difference but what year is your car??

Did you downshift, then floor it when you hit the rev-limiter or did you just ease up on it? Again, sorry if I told you wrong...
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by J 2OOI
Really?? I'm sorry if I have told you wrong! I don't have the E55 anymore--sold it, but I really was thinking that if you downshift using the paddles, then floor it (not creep up on the rev limiter) it will shift on its own.

The only displays that you will see are 1,2,3,4,S (not 5) after 4 it goes back into "S"-- that is normal. You might be able to see "5" if you have it in "M" , mode-- can't remember.

Not that it makes a difference but what year is your car??

Did you downshift, then floor it when you hit the rev-limiter or did you just ease up on it? Again, sorry if I told you wrong...
mine shifts up at redline
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks D BST I like that theory!
And J2OO1 I appreciate the reply, no worries - My car is an 05. Come to think of it, I eased up after the car was incredibly close to redlining because of the noise and I didn't want to risk any danger to tranny. I shall keep it floored and see what happens......
I never knew (until now) that the right-up paddle switches back to Drive mode. When I accidentally tap paddles, I usually shift gear selector with right hand to neutral, back down to drive, then wait a few seconds for it to kick in then I can go again. BUT the other day I shifted into neutral as I neared a light, and left it there for some reason, instilling a thought in my mind that I should shift back to drive when light turns green. Needless to say, I happened to be at the crest of a hill and when the light turned green I forgot to shift back to drive. I ended up rolling back a few inches before I caught myself but there was a car behind me! Felt like a manual tranny that day lol
Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 AM

2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
never use em', but Im always hitting them by mistake while turning.. Those things dont react quick enough.. Faster to just leave it in drive.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering a 2006 E55, and was wondering how engaging the system really is( I have had manual trans cars for about 15 years now!). I guess I need a salesman to walk me through it a bit.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Lawrenzo
I am considering a 2006 E55, and was wondering how engaging the system really is( I have had manual trans cars for about 15 years now!). I guess I need a salesman to walk me through it a bit.
It does not compare to a true manual transmission....so don't get your hopes up for that.

I only use it when bored, downshifting before racing, or downshifting before going around a tight curve (like entrance ramps to interstates) to keep the car in the power curve.

I just sold a Honda S2000 and I really do miss a true manual tranny sometimes.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just tried downshifting w left paddle on interstate, then kept floored and car DID shift for me - stayed long and hard in the gear too. Later tried going about 40, downshifted w paddle, stomped on gas and back end stepped out. Amazing - the fun is back !!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
I prefer to use the 'stick' to change manually. Feels more like a true manual then. Just like I learnt to drive with all those years ago.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:50 AM

2012 JDM
Just tried downshifting w left paddle on interstate, then kept floored and car DID shift for me - stayed long and hard in the gear too. Later tried going about 40, downshifted w paddle, stomped on gas and back end stepped out. Amazing - the fun is back !!
Cool, so I'm not going

Happy hunting