Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003-2006 E/CLS Recall (Fuel Related)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I am scheduled for this and a s/c pulley/clutch pack replacement tomorrow morning. I am having second thoughts now....
Old 03-30-2008, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by supre55
I am scheduled for this and a s/c pulley/clutch pack replacement tomorrow morning. I am having second thoughts now....
By all means get the supercharger pack...as for the other...I think you need to to keep MB from saying you did not follow the required maintenance.

Mine is having this done as we speak, so tomorrow I might be just as upset as some of these other guys.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Timeless
By all means get the supercharger pack...as for the other...I think you need to to keep MB from saying you did not follow the required maintenance.

Mine is having this done as we speak, so tomorrow I might be just as upset as some of these other guys.
Picked the car up and no problems or gas smell so far.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by BrianS
There was a faint smell inside but it was much more noticeable outside the car, especially after sitting overnight in the garage. It hits you when you walk past left rear wheel.

Mine is at the dealer right now having the work done. Your post reminded me that one day a few months ago, after driving the E55 for the first time in several weeks, I smelled gas in the garage. Wonder if it was because of this problem.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Mine's at the dealer today having this done as well. I was told it's about a 2 hour job and that they either repair or replace the sending unit depending upon its condition.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by AMG Speed
My sage continues. They've now replaced so many parts on my E55 that I can't even count them in an effort to make sure all the fuel issues will be resolved. As a side issue, there were also a bunch of items that had been flagged in the car's diagnostic memory as problematic (such as the intercooler for the supercharger). My dealer tried to get these fixed before but M-B refused to cover them under warranty saying these parts only gave occasional fault codes but not a clear indication of needing replacement.

Given all the problems I'm having with the fuel and the fact they've had my car for so long, I demanded they force M-B to authorize these repairs finally so that I won't have to come back next week when a "clear indication" arises like being broken down on the side of the road. Of course, M-B relented knowing I'm one step away from going after them. Now they've replaced many other major but unrelated parts too. Let's hope they haven't made maters worse like with the recall situation.

And getting back to that, the dealer agreed to pay for a complete detail of my vehicle because of the fuel smell. They are also keeping it for 3 days with professional deionizing-type machines locked inside it purifying the vehicle and hopefully removing the gas stench. I'll pick up the car Monday/Tuesday (after they've had it for 2+ flipping weeks!) and it better be 100% perfect otherwise you'll be seeing me on TV (like that idiot with his dry cleaner pants) suing for $55 million dollars. Can you guess how I came up with that number?

I'm taking my car in next week. AMG Speed, was the smell finally removed or does the saga continue?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:15 AM

Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by str8ridin
I'm taking my car in next week. AMG Speed, was the smell finally removed or does the saga continue?
Yes, I'm ecstatic to report that my car is 100% fine again- something I never thought would happen after they trashed it. It took me 3 seperate visits and I was without my car (had a minivan loaner- the indignity!) for something like a total of 18 days!!! They replaced so many parts I can't even remember half of them. Finally they replaced the fuel injectors and that stopped the under hood leakage. They had previously replaced all the fuel components under the rear seat (including the rear seat) to fix the disaster caused by the faulty recall pump. And just think, my car was totally fine before the recall campaign. Anyway, all is well that ends well I guess. I think my E55 will be the most reliable one on the road considering half the parts are brand new.

In any event, I'm sure things will go smoothly for you. I think mine was the exception rather than the rule. On the plus side, I got a lot of parts replaced (relating to the supercharger having a drop in power) and some damaged interior pieces (from the first owner) that they previously refused to fix for me. After they butchered my car, they were only too eager to accommodate all my requests and throw in a complete detailing. So I guess it was worth it in the end but man, for a while there I was about ready to go postal.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Update bandwagon

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Brian thanks for the pics, I see raw gas on top of your pump/filter assembly could you smell that amount in the car? I think the dealer may have induced a fuel leak in my car from the recall work.
Ok all the gas smell is gone and the leather smell is back, it had me worried after the work was done and I could smell gas, and worse with the windows down (cabin not under pressure from AC) Now all is well
Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 AM

I just bought my 2004 E55 with a CPO and took it into the dealer last week to have the driverside milticontour seat fixed. The SA told me this was an issue and they would replace it.

Here are the part numbers from my invoice if anyone is interested:

211-470-00-610-05 Guide Sleeve
211-470-51-94-05 Axiliary PU
000-800-35-15 Hose Line
000-800-03-18 Bracket
000-800-31-48 Pump
203-471-03-79 Seal Ring
Old 06-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 770 Likes on 749 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
i just had fuel filter module replaced under warranty couple of weeks ago...
i was told it was fairly new...
not sure if it's the same recall...
Old 06-07-2008, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Yes, I'm ecstatic to report that my car is 100% fine again- something I never thought would happen after they trashed it. It took me 3 seperate visits and I was without my car (had a minivan loaner- the indignity!) for something like a total of 18 days!!! They replaced so many parts I can't even remember half of them. Finally they replaced the fuel injectors and that stopped the under hood leakage. They had previously replaced all the fuel components under the rear seat (including the rear seat) to fix the disaster caused by the faulty recall pump. And just think, my car was totally fine before the recall campaign. Anyway, all is well that ends well I guess. I think my E55 will be the most reliable one on the road considering half the parts are brand new.

In any event, I'm sure things will go smoothly for you. I think mine was the exception rather than the rule. On the plus side, I got a lot of parts replaced (relating to the supercharger having a drop in power) and some damaged interior pieces (from the first owner) that they previously refused to fix for me. After they butchered my car, they were only too eager to accommodate all my requests and throw in a complete detailing. So I guess it was worth it in the end but man, for a while there I was about ready to go postal.

Good luck to you!
So, I called the dealer to schedule the recall and they said that they aleady peformed the work a few weeks ago when I dropped off the car for a passenger seat-belt sensor issue. So, no gas smell and I'm in the clear!

Thank for scaring the crap out of me anyway! lol
Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
I had mine done last week with no gas smell.

I am told the key is to run the car down to vapors. The more gas in the tank, the more gas gets up under the seat when the internals are pulled out of the trunk.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:56 PM

Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Thank for scaring the crap out of me anyway! lol
When it comes to the dealer, be afraid. Be very afraid! But considering you are also from Seattle, the weather here has been so awful that it would have been the perfect time to have your car turned into a stink bomb for two weeks while driving around a loaner minivan. The Dodge Caravan with pinstripes they gave me was a real babe magnet!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:14 PM

03' E55 Techtite Grey
So even cars that aren't under warranty anymore can still get this recall right? I have an 03 with 58,000 miles, my warranty is up right?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 AM

germans
dayum....just came back from a 10 day trip, went to fill the car up with gas, punched it at the light, parked it back in the garage, said good night to the beast, saw about $4.37 worth of fuel dripping under the car and no, It wasn't full. looks like I'll get the recall done before I get the notice.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by gonzjed
...saw about $4.37 worth of fuel dripping under the car...
$4.37? Isn't that only like a couple drops?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:46 PM

germans
$4.37? Isn't that only like a couple drops?
my wife said "catch it all and put it back in"....hahaha
Old 01-26-2009, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Just had the recall done today on an 04 with 50,0xx miles. Never smelled fuel before and never really knew there was a problem... But now the car reeks of fuel!!!! I sure hope this goes away.

Plus it's raining here and I can't leave the windows open!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Takes awhile. Had mine done weeks ago and it's still pretty strong.

Just keep those windows open to keep giving it a place to evaporate.

Wild when you see that those huge tanks (one of each side of car..they are saddle tanks) and are literally RIGHT under the passenger seats. Scary stuff.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bobgodd
... But now the car reeks of fuel!!!! ...
This is exactly why I did mine myself, but I did go to the dealer for reimbursement of the parts cost per the letter from MBUSA. I had pics and receipts of what I did but they claimed they had to inspect my work to make sure I repaired it properly or no reimbursement. Then they said I wasn't allowed to watch their tech during the process. I laughed at the minion and walked out the door.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 PM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
The fuel sending unit(s) are under the rear seat. If the mechanic isn't careful, it is very easy to spill some fuel in the interior of the car.

I stand beside my mechanic as he does anything on my car...which is one of the benefits of working at the dealer.

I had the recall done before i bought my car. A few weeks later, my car was in my driveway & wouldn't start. It would fire & i had lots of power, so i put 2 & 2 together. I had the beast towed in, & sure enough, one of the fuel lines had popped out of the sending unit. The clip that holds it in can't be ordered separately, so the other pump unit was replaced under warranty as well. I had zero gas smell after all the parts were installed.

Maybe your techs are not as careful as mine.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Busta Riles
The fuel sending unit(s) are under the rear seat. If the mechanic isn't careful, it is very easy to spill some fuel in the interior of the car.

I stand beside my mechanic as he does anything on my car...which is one of the benefits of working at the dealer.

I had the recall done before i bought my car. A few weeks later, my car was in my driveway & wouldn't start. It would fire & i had lots of power, so i put 2 & 2 together. I had the beast towed in, & sure enough, one of the fuel lines had popped out of the sending unit. The clip that holds it in can't be ordered separately, so the other pump unit was replaced under warranty as well. I had zero gas smell after all the parts were installed.

Maybe your techs are not as careful as mine.
That must be what has happened to mine.

Had the recall done this morning. Ran some errands during the day. Went out to dinner with the Mother for my birthday, and on the way home the car dies on the highway. No fuel getting to the motor whatsoever. Fantastic. Just had it towed to the dealership and just got home.... at midnight.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by bobgodd
That must be what has happened to mine.

Had the recall done this morning. Ran some errands during the day. Went out to dinner with the Mother for my birthday, and on the way home the car dies on the highway. No fuel getting to the motor whatsoever. Fantastic. Just had it towed to the dealership and just got home.... at midnight.
Got an update. After seeing the SA this morning and explaining to him what happened... I got a call this afternoon saying that apparently when they removed the old unit, they cracked the fuel pump

Sounds a little retarded to me, but anyhow... New fuel pump for me! lol.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 AM

A slow Tahoe!
Gas - Warranty work

I had the recall done and few months ago and now my car smell like gas, took it in and the dealer said the seals are leaking and aren't covered under the recall, should these seals have been replaced during the recall?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Just found this thread, thanks very much for all the useful information. I've noticed the strong gas smell in the garage right after start up in the garage, passengers right rear side just above the wheel and thought it was just the engine running rich at start up due to my LET 1 tune.

Now with letter in hand from this forum I will take it to the dealer to fix.

So a huge thanks here!

Alex

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2003-2006 E/CLS Recall (Fuel Related)