W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 3 Performance Heat Exchanger Installed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Exclamation Code 3 Performance Heat Exchanger Installed...

OK, so this is the first mechanical mod for my car. While not exactly a performance enhancement, I decided on getting a heat exchanger and Johnson pump for the following reasons;
  • Slow drag times equated to many "dude, you have a pump problem" responses in a MBWorld thread,
  • I would absolutely know that the cooling system wasn't hamstringing me,
  • I live in Phoenix so we have very high temperatures,
  • And...it was a relatively inexpensive modification that would hopefully reduce the thermal stress experienced by the car over its lifetime (read: better reliability?).

Anyway, I decided on the Code 3 unit because I started taking an interest in heat exchangers in December and I was particularly intrigued by the offering of a 7" core with 85oz capacity compared to 28oz for stock. I considered LET Motorsports, but there was always "more info to come" and I waited until late February and went ahead pulled the trigger. No offense to the guys at LET as it seems like they are offering a pretty nice product at a very nice price. Just couldn't wait to compare guys! And...for some reason I didn't even realize VRP had a cooling solution (at the same time I bought the HE and pump, I got a VRP pulley/ECU tune as well).

Brandon from Code 3 had the HE shipped directly to me from the fabricator and I took it in to a shop to have it installed along with the Johnson pump. I've included some pictures. I'm no expert on HEs, but the welds look solid, you decide. After the install, I was little surprised at how much heavier it is than the stock unit, but I guess that was to be expected with the size difference. The Johnson pump was definitely a little more compact and lighter than the stock unit.

Chris, the guy that did the work on my car, did a before and after data log up to a little over 80mph (wimp! I told him to dog it!!...j/k!). While I don't think two runs is a sufficient amount of data for what we all like to see, it can be said the HE did make a difference as it helped minimize the rise in temperature in between runs (or rather, bring them down?). Chris is gonna email what he has so I'll post it for your more expert analysis whenever I get it.

Now, for the sake of giving accurate feedback on the experience, I must also include the fact that I received the dreaded "we have a problem" phone call right before install. Apparently, Brandon's fabricator sent the 7" core with the wrong brackets. Once this was determined, Brandon immediately asked me "what can I do to make this right" and of the two options, have Brandon ship another one to me at his cost, send the other back, and pay for the time Chris spent on my car that day....or, simply have Chris take the wrong brackets off and weld correct ones on at the additional expense, which Brandon would take care of. Since my car was apart and I wanted this work done, and it would be cheaper and less hassle for everyone, I opted to have Chris weld new brackets. So, a little bit of a blood pressure increase, but Brandon and Chris took care of it. Much appreciated!

I would also like to add that I know the debate between bar/plate and tube/fin (and no, I'm not trying to start another debate, just give insight in to my decision making, or lack thereof!). It seemed to me for our application, I'm not entirely convinced there is a decided advantage either way. I was really looking for that extra capacity Brandon is offering as in my simplistic world, it makes sense as long as the fluid doesn't move through the HE too fast. I will more than likely before summertime spend the extra $400 or so and have Chris go ahead and gimme the old split loop thing!

Hope this has been helpful!
Attached Thumbnails Code 3 Performance Heat Exchanger Installed...-dscn2011.jpg   Code 3 Performance Heat Exchanger Installed...-dscn2012.jpg   Code 3 Performance Heat Exchanger Installed...-dscn2013.jpg   Code 3 Performance Heat Exchanger Installed...-dscn2016.jpg   Code 3 Performance Heat Exchanger Installed...-dscn2015.jpg  

Old 03-25-2008, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
glad chris was able to get that worked out for you. he's a top notch fabricator and a great all around guy!

keep us posted on your track results.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Does the front bumper need to be remove to fit the HE? How long did it take? Is it a DYI job potentially???
Old 03-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Nice write up...Brandon is a top notch guy to work with...

I'm glad to hear someone else loves their new HE as much as I do...

Congrats on the new hardware...
Old 03-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
thanks for the write up. awaiting the data loging info
Old 03-25-2008, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by OzE55
Does the front bumper need to be remove to fit the HE? How long did it take? Is it a DYI job potentially???
Bumper has to come off. ~3-4 hours re-re I would say for a competent DIY-er, for a first time bumper removal. Reckon 2-3 hrs for a guy who has done it before. Most of the time would be spent on the bumper re-re.

I like Soup: I note you fitted the 7" core - I thought Brandon was only doing 5" cores? If your car is otherwise stock the bigger H/E will be marginally beneficial, once you up the boost it will be essential.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Does anyone know if the LET unit is lighter? I need to order a HE but I hate to add any additional weight when making modifications.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Rock
Does anyone know if the LET unit is lighter? I need to order a HE but I hate to add any additional weight when making modifications.
Frankly, the weight difference between the units is not enough to worry about given the weight of our cars and the distribution of said weight.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Looks great, I have the 7" core installed in my car with the CM30 and love it!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
I know for a fact that the LET unit is lighter.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Is this with fluilds or sans?

Evosport/Brembo GT rotors is where you want to be saving some weight...

On the H/E more weight = more metal, so tells me there is allot of conductive material in the heavier H/E - which is what you want... . 5kg extra upfront for example is equal is like an 1/15th of a tank of fuel... so its immaterial but I know where you are coming from: mods should lighten up not add weight EXCEPT if they improve efficiency in other ways....

Last edited by stevebez; 03-25-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 AM

I want to get one, do you know anyone in so. calif. that would do a install? what about VRP or evosport, would they install some one else product?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 MB E-500 & 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
Just wondering what is it for? Transmission cooler? Definitely not an intercooler for the supercharger. Oil cooler perhaps? Any pics of the heat exchanger with out the bumper installed?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
glad chris was able to get that worked out for you. he's a top notch fabricator and a great all around guy!

keep us posted on your track results.
Oh, I'll make sure you get the invite to be there first hand!

Originally Posted by OzE55
Yes, the front bumper needs to be taken off. I think it took between 2 and 3 three hours to complete the job, with cutting and replacing brackets. You could do it yourself, I just don't have the tools or set up to do something like this.

Originally Posted by Zod
thanks for the write up. awaiting the data loging info
Me too!

Originally Posted by stevebez
Bumper has to come off. ~3-4 hours re-re I would say for a competent DIY-er, for a first time bumper removal. Reckon 2-3 hrs for a guy who has done it before. Most of the time would be spent on the bumper re-re.

I like Soup: I note you fitted the 7" core - I thought Brandon was only doing 5" cores? If your car is otherwise stock the bigger H/E will be marginally beneficial, once you up the boost it will be essential.
Steve, Brandon does indeed do 5" cores, but on the 2003 he was able to get a 7" core to bolt in. Not sure why not for the other years, maybe Brandon can chime in here.

I would wager the LET unit is lighter since I held a tube/fin heat exchanger and it was markedly lighter. I would assume the LET unit wouldn't be much smaller or bigger, and if it were bigger, I can't see it getting as heavy as the bar/plate one that I installed.

On the H/E more weight = more metal, so tells me there is allot of conductive material in the heavier H/E - which is what you want... . 5kg extra upfront for example is equal is like an 1/15th of a tank of fuel... so its immaterial but I know where you are coming from: mods should lighten up not add weight EXCEPT if they improve efficiency in other ways....
The weight was without fluids. And to your point about more weight, I was thinking about that last night when I wrote up the post. If there is more metal present, doesn't that mean that it would take more heat out of the fluids and radiate it to the atmosphere?

And...thanks for the well wishes...next up...VRP pulley/tune!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by dkallencat1
I want to get one, do you know anyone in so. calif. that would do a install? what about VRP or evosport, would they install some one else product?
I'm not sure if VRP or Code 3 would install someone else's product, but there are two vendors right there that you could order from and have the install done!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
looks awesome. I guess I need to start thinking about this now that summer's rolling around. I blew it off since its been nice and cool out.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
.......On the H/E more weight = more metal, so tells me there is allot of conductive material in the heavier H/E - which is what you want.......
It's actually a function of the design differences between bar+plate and tube+fin
Old 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Are there any vendor"s in so.calf. that i could order from and do an install? and is it worth the investment on a stock car?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM

2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
Are there any recommendations for a shop on the Bay Area? I am planning on doing the HE and CM030 pump. TIA Maybe even a pulley and ECU.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Looks great, I have the 7" core installed in my car with the CM30 and love it!
+1..

best mod so far. No more worries about heat soak.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dkallencat1
Brandon will install for you.. .he would drive to your home if need be.

Of course there is a separate charge for the service. But I'm sure it won't be as much as any other place.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree.

additional weight applies to any bigger HE or FMIC....

its part of the deal.

Unless they start making Carbon fiber HE's FMIC it will increase weight.

The question is Tube and Fin lighter yes... but look at the both units and tell me which one looks meaner and more aggressive.

both units will work and Tune and Fin could be more efficient in certain ways, but a Bar and Plate can be as efficeint (code3) by adding more rows.

We are only talking 5-10lbs at most with fluid and a few degrees in temp.

either way.. both units will work as claimed.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by I Like Soup
OK, so this is the first mechanical mod for my car. While not exactly a performance enhancement, I decided on getting a heat exchanger and Johnson pump for the following reasons;
  • Slow drag times equated to many "dude, you have a pump problem" responses in a MBWorld thread,
  • I would absolutely know that the cooling system wasn't hamstringing me,
  • I live in Phoenix so we have very high temperatures,
  • And...it was a relatively inexpensive modification that would hopefully reduce the thermal stress experienced by the car over its lifetime (read: better reliability?).

Anyway, I decided on the Code 3 unit because I started taking an interest in heat exchangers in December and I was particularly intrigued by the offering of a 7" core with 85oz capacity compared to 28oz for stock. I considered LET Motorsports, but there was always "more info to come" and I waited until late February and went ahead pulled the trigger. No offense to the guys at LET as it seems like they are offering a pretty nice product at a very nice price. Just couldn't wait to compare guys! And...for some reason I didn't even realize VRP had a cooling solution (at the same time I bought the HE and pump, I got a VRP pulley/ECU tune as well).

Brandon from Code 3 had the HE shipped directly to me from the fabricator and I took it in to a shop to have it installed along with the Johnson pump. I've included some pictures. I'm no expert on HEs, but the welds look solid, you decide. After the install, I was little surprised at how much heavier it is than the stock unit, but I guess that was to be expected with the size difference. The Johnson pump was definitely a little more compact and lighter than the stock unit.

Chris, the guy that did the work on my car, did a before and after data log up to a little over 80mph (wimp! I told him to dog it!!...j/k!). While I don't think two runs is a sufficient amount of data for what we all like to see, it can be said the HE did make a difference as it helped minimize the rise in temperature in between runs (or rather, bring them down?). Chris is gonna email what he has so I'll post it for your more expert analysis whenever I get it.

Now, for the sake of giving accurate feedback on the experience, I must also include the fact that I received the dreaded "we have a problem" phone call right before install. Apparently, Brandon's fabricator sent the 7" core with the wrong brackets. Once this was determined, Brandon immediately asked me "what can I do to make this right" and of the two options, have Brandon ship another one to me at his cost, send the other back, and pay for the time Chris spent on my car that day....or, simply have Chris take the wrong brackets off and weld correct ones on at the additional expense, which Brandon would take care of. Since my car was apart and I wanted this work done, and it would be cheaper and less hassle for everyone, I opted to have Chris weld new brackets. So, a little bit of a blood pressure increase, but Brandon and Chris took care of it. Much appreciated!

I would also like to add that I know the debate between bar/plate and tube/fin (and no, I'm not trying to start another debate, just give insight in to my decision making, or lack thereof!). It seemed to me for our application, I'm not entirely convinced there is a decided advantage either way. I was really looking for that extra capacity Brandon is offering as in my simplistic world, it makes sense as long as the fluid doesn't move through the HE too fast. I will more than likely before summertime spend the extra $400 or so and have Chris go ahead and gimme the old split loop thing!

Hope this has been helpful!

congrats on the project.

my unit was a early edition, you have the larger end tanks which look very nice. My C32 has the same unit you have.

I remember Brandon telling me about the issues with the brackets, which have been fixed now.

last month I completed my swap out of my C32 and the fit was spot on.

Last thing.. going up to 80 twice is not going to create much difference in IAT's. Its when reaching 100+ plus when things really start to spike. Try running multiple runs back to back over 100 and you will see no power drop off.

Also, the system will require additional fluid a few days after installation... even if you flush out all the bubbles.

Simply add more water (not coolant) and add some Water Wetter.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TopGun32
congrats on the project.

my unit was a early edition, you have the larger end tanks which look very nice. My C32 has the same unit you have.

I remember Brandon telling me about the issues with the brackets, which have been fixed now.

last month I completed my swap out of my C32 and the fit was spot on.

Last thing.. going up to 80 twice is not going to create much difference in IAT's. Its when reaching 100+ plus when things really start to spike. Try running multiple runs back to back over 100 and you will see no power drop off.

Also, the system will require additional fluid a few days after installation... even if you flush out all the bubbles.

Simply add more water (not coolant) and add some Water Wetter.
Thanks! I added more water and no more alerts!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Karl, I am glad we could get it worked out. All debates about performance aside, nothing looks meaner in the bumper

I PMed those of you in the thread who were interested. We have four 5.5" units and one 7" unit in stock ready to ship. The heat is here, and they don't last long. PM or email me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Code 3 Performance Heat Exchanger Installed...