A minivan almost KILLED me today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550, X5 4.8
A minivan almost KILLED me today!

ok....the weather was awesome today.
so i took my bike out today. went to Los Angeles Crest of 210. really nice 5 miles of asphalted curves and the view-wow. so on the way back down, i decided to take it easy, my shoulder was hurting a little. so i am just cruising at speed limit. and right about 3 second before the turn (i am not leaning yet) i see this white van comming out of the corner, splitting the double yellow line, i really did not pya attention plus i am in the middle of my lane( so there is enough space from the on comming lane)

next thing i see, 2/3 of the car is on my lane going into me. I dont think i even reacted, besides tilting my head so it doesnt hit his side mirrow. But, he went so close that he actually took off my front left mirrow.
and then his side mirrow hits me in my left shoulder (not very hard, but enough to disbalance me) so i go in to the turn speed wobbling. the riders would know, its not that much fun. after wobbling for 3-4 seconds somehow i gained control of the bike. it all happened so freaking fast. I was doing about 45-50, and assuming he was doing speed limit as well (which i doubt) thats what, combined speed of about 90mph? i would not like my chances if that car would have hit me straight up.

so i did not stop, i just continued riding. although i realize i should have pulled over right away. but, you know how in those situations (as if everything is surreal) you are so shocked that you do not know what to do. i stopped at the gas station (my buddy was in front of me and did not see it) my hands were shaking pretty bad. On the way back home, i was like damn i could have been dead today.

i did not tell my wife anything (she would freak out, you know....)
but i had to let it out. so i thought why not here.

actually, it made me realize how fast one may go away for good.

just would like to remind to everyone, drive as safe as possible and stay
alert at all times.

p.s. will i get back on a bike? i dont know...most likely yeah.
but i really looking forward to getting my car back in couple of days
Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
I used to ride sport bikes a lot, even after a fairly serious accident
glad you are ok, very dangerous indeed.....
Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Mini-vans should be outlawed and the people who drive them should be hung! Did you hear abou the new feature in the 2009 Dodge Caravan? There is a small compartment in the dash for the wife to store her husbands ********* in, because lord knows any guy that drives a min-van does not need them.

Have you ever looked at the expression on a guys face that drives a mini-van while he is behind the wheel of it? They all have the same blank stare, it's like they are day dreaming about being dead or something. There is no excuse for a man to drive a mini van in this day of Tahoes, Escalades, Range Rovers and GL's.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
sorry to hear.. be careful out there!

but both you & the van should've pulled over & report the accident. wtf
Old 04-14-2008, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
You were LITERALLY 12 inches away from death.

Glad you are okay man.

Bet that shoulder gets pretty sore after today.

Advil is your friend for the next 24 hours.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:02 PM

'08 E63, '08 ML350
That is crazy Glad that you're safe.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
iam very glad to hear you are ok
Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
jrcart...all of your statements are my sentiments exactly; exept the hanging part.

Anyway, I have been riding bikes for 19 years and that's the main reason I sold my bikes. Too damn many idiots that don't pay attention. Minivan and SUV riders (I can't call what they do driving) act like they are in their living rooms and not behind the wheel.

Getting hit by bugs or devris is painful enough. I can't imagine how it felt to get hit by part of a moving vehicle. I ma glad you're okay.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by jrcart
Mini-vans should be outlawed and the people who drive them should be hung! Did you hear abou the new feature in the 2009 Dodge Caravan? There is a small compartment in the dash for the wife to store her husbands ********* in, because lord knows any guy that drives a min-van does not need them.

Have you ever looked at the expression on a guys face that drives a mini-van while he is behind the wheel of it? They all have the same blank stare, it's like they are day dreaming about being dead or something. There is no excuse for a man to drive a mini van in this day of Tahoes, Escalades, Range Rovers and GL's.

So true, especially on the blank stare they have
Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by jrcart

Thats exactly what I think... there is no excuse for a minivan. No matter what.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:26 PM

2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
Man that was a close call. Be careful out there! I see this all the time on the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of driving the speed limit, you have tourists slowing down to 25mph taking pictures and not looking where they're going. We don't have lane barricades on the bridge separating on-coming traffic. I call the lane closest to on-coming traffic the "suicide lane."
Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 PM

E550, X5 4.8
Originally Posted by tthoang1
Man that was a close call. Be careful out there! I see this all the time on the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of driving the speed limit, you have tourists slowing down to 25mph taking pictures and not looking where they're going. We don't have lane barricades on the bridge separating on-coming traffic. I call the lane closest to on-coming traffic the "suicide lane."
agh...Golden Gate Bridge. i would be scared to driven even in a tank over there. the lanes are so narrow. well SF roads are like that for the most part i think.

yeah it was a reality check for me. once again i realized, that just because i drive safe doesnt mean i am safe.

thats why i decided to go to the track from now on (for twisties), and only cruise on the street. love riding too much too simply giving it up completely.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:30 PM

2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
Originally Posted by 001kz
agh...Golden Gate Bridge. i would be scared to driven even in a tank over there. the lanes are so narrow. well SF roads are like that for the most part i think.

yeah it was a reality check for me. once again i realized, that just because i drive safe doesnt mean i am safe.

thats why i decided to go to the track from now on (for twisties), and only cruise on the street. love riding too much too simply giving it up completely.
That's exactly how I want to sell my wife on riding. I told her if I learned how to ride, and buy a bike, I would only take it to infineon on a trailer. She hasn't been receptive, but it's gonna take some time to wear her down.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Glad to hear yer safe!!!