Stage 1 Complete - LET Tune, VRP Pulley, CPT Cooling - Full Writeup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Cars
Stage 1 Complete - LET Tune, VRP Pulley, CPT Cooling - Full Writeup

As promised, when I had my complete results in for Stage 1 I was going to make a post about it. Again, what I have done is nothing new but I hope the comprehensiveness of my documentation in doing these mods will help people understand what is needed and what options are out there when starting to mod your beast. Before I go into things I want to make it very clear that I am in no way affiliated with any of the companies I have used thus far, and even though I consider the guys who run these companies "friends", business is business and when it comes to building my car I'm looking for results and objectivity, nothing less.

CPT performed all the work, including dyno, etc - and as usual did a phenomenal job. We used their Dyno Dynamics dyno (the best around, period), so yes, these numbers are lower than DynoJet. The full list of mods were as follows:

CPT Cooling Package
LET Stage 1 ECU Tune
VRP Pulley
Carlsson Steering Wheel
STAR Diagnostic 1" Lowering
K&N Filters

My car is a 2005, with 30k miles. She is a ringer of an '05, out dyno'ing any stock 55 that's been on CPTs dyno (he's had MANY - my old '03 did 360-370). I've also ran low 12s @ 116-118mph bone stock, so needless to say this car has a lot of power.

First up to bat is CPT with their cooling package. CPT uses a very, very large core (bigger than any one I have seen, it makes the EVOSport look like a chiuaua) along with the Johnson pump. In addition to the big core, CPT also does not separate the cooling circuit like other companies. The idea is with a large core, you may not get the 80F drop in IAT, but you can get 60-70F and you get the added benefit of not just cooling your IAT, you are cooling your block as well. We saw a 40-50F drop in IAT on the DYNO, which is impressive in it's own right. I have no question putting some good airflow through it on the street would yield 10-20F more.

I think something that is often overlooked when separating the cooling circuits is that the block is neglected, and let me tell you, our blocks do not mind being cooled. This solution I think is a better package in terms of what it has to do, and what is required to install it. Less clutter in the engine bay (extra lines, extra reservoir, etc), a bigger core, and you're cooling both the IAT and the engine. Most of the time when upgrading a forced induction car you upgrade the intercooler but if possible, you also upgrade the radiator. The engine coolant needs some love too. I am very happy with the results we were able to obtain.

VRP's pulley lived up to expectations and we saw an increase of 4psi over stock, from ~9 to ~13. The VRP pulley did not come with a new belt, and CPT did not even attempt to make the stock belt fit (because they said it wasn't possible), so we opted for the Jaguar belt. Everything turned out well. Below is the before/after boost curve:

Very satisfied with Victor's product. Good looking piece, performed as described, makes good boost. Another A+ here.

Finally, and probably the most anticipated part, was the LET tune. Now I will be honest, I was very skeptical about LET. They are new and unproven, and I for one am not someone who likes risking my $40k motor with unproven tuners. But, Jerry had talked a lot fo CPT and after shaking Jerry's hand I figured we should just give it a whirl on the dyno to see what it did. I didn't want a super aggressive tune on my car, but I did want good power. LET has pretty much the cheapest tune out there so while that is very attractive, having a product on my car I'm not comfortable with is not something I'm willing to do to save a few hundred bucks.

Now, in the thread I made before comparing the 63 to 55 motors, I posted my 420rwhp graph. For this thread I wanted to be a little more realistic because truthfully, just like I said in my previous thread, our cars do feel the pinch of heat even with the cooling package. I was able to make 420rwhp stock, but I am more comfortable saying my car makes 400rwhp stock consistently. An avarage 55 car will make 380rwhp on CPT's dyno, I've just had the blessing of having a strong '05 car. However, the strength stock does not translate to the equivalent strength after stage 1 - and this is important to make a note of. I still might make power than an average 55 car that went stage 1, but it most likely won't be 20rwhp still.

I dyno'd at 3 points throughout this process - stock, with pulley/cooling, and finally with pulley/cooling/software.

The first dyno here is comparing stock to pulley/cooling - as you can see we have relatively no gain in RWHP, but about 40rwtq gained. This is the result of TQ limitation in the ECU and an overall pullback as the ECU sees the extra power. We do get a nice fatter curve but in the end it's still taking a jump off a cliff.

Finally, we added the LET tune. I talked to Jerry a bit about this and overall this is a conservative, off the shelf tune. There isn't really anything wild about it, but I have to say it worked wonders, especially given the low price of admission. We are still running conservatively AFR wise, and timing wise, so there is power on the table if I choose to take advantage of it.

We now have:

+35rwhp and +100rwtq(!!!!) gain over a STRONG stock car.
+30rwhp + 60rwtq over pulley/cooling.

Final thoughts:

To pickup +30-35rwhp on a car that already makes 20rwhp more than other 55s was impressive, IMO - and that doesn't even tell the story. +100rwtq? Is that some kind of joke? That to me, is where the butter is. This car is just a monster now down low. One of my favorite punches, the 2nd gear 2500rpm one, is just phenomenal. Totally new feel now, and I am loving it.

This was a pretty much off the shelf tune and if need be, Jerry has offered to squeeze a bit more power out of her, as there is some room in the tune if I need it. As of right now I'm pretty happy and the torque is just amazing on this car. In the end, it's the torque you are really going to feel, and that's what I got plenty of. Next up will be a trip to the drag strip.

Sorry for the length of this thread, but as you can see there was quite a bit to say.

Regards,

Marcus
Old 04-23-2008, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
Great write up Marcus !!! Thanks for sharing the info !!!

Last edited by SaMaS; 04-23-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
E55 With VRP Pulley + LET ECU Tune

+100 rwtq

So adding the pulley alone did not add power, but also did not take away any, right?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
this is the big ticket item right now
" TQ limitation in the ECU"

does the LET address this?

This is very information and great write up. I think I'm going to put my E55 down for a few days to ship the ECU to Houston or Chicago.

now... if Only I can make up a good excuse for the wife.

I don't need anymore torque.. I just need the extra 35 RWHP on top and some of it across the rev band as in the last dyno graph.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
+100 rwtq

So adding the pulley alone did not add power, but also did not take away any, right?
yup.. just like the ASP..

just added torque and some HP across the Rev band but peak HP stayed the same.

more proof ECU is really needed for high end HP.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 PM

2005 E55 Black
Excellent post. Very tempting thoughts running through my mind since I don't live too far from Chicago. What was the cost for the hardware and have you been told what the charge for the tune would be for somebody off the street? In other words, drop the car off, pick it up later with same mods you have and pay the bill. What is the cost?

Only one thing scaring me. Just read Skeeter's long thread on warranty rejection from MBUSA due to having a Renntech pulley on his car. Long story, still in progress, but not an enviable postion to be in.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Awesome write up Marcus!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by machz990
Only one thing scaring me. Just read Skeeter's long thread on warranty rejection from MBUSA due to having a Renntech pulley on his car. Long story, still in progress, but not an enviable postion to be in.
I've been to my dealer close to a dozen times to get work done on my car with my HE and ASP pulley.

I had my torque converted replaced, Kompressor Clutch, Key Less GO, 2nd Air pump, TPMS and the new fuel pump recall.. no issues.

It all depends where you go.. its rare when they reject or flag your car for mods.. atleast around here.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by TopGun32
I've been to my dealer close to a dozen times to get work done on my car with my HE and ASP pulley.

I had my torque converted replaced, Kompressor Clutch, Key Less GO, 2nd Air pump, TPMS and the new fuel pump recall.. no issues.

It all depends where you go.. its rare when they reject or flag your car for mods.. atleast around here.
+1

Although I only have the Code 3 Performance HE and my exhaust.

When my SA saw my car with the front mount...he came running towards me tellin me it looked wicked...It's funny cause EVERYONE at the service department knows my car cause it's a "lil" louder then the norm and they are always waving at me and sayin hi....
Old 04-23-2008, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
To answer a few questions:

MB_Forever:

Stock -> Pulley/Cooling +0rwhp, +40rwtq
Pulley Cooling -> Pulley/Cooling/ECU +30rwhp, +60rwtq
Stock -> Pulley/Cooling/ECU +35rwhp, +100rwtq

TopGun:

They do - my numbers are hard to compare with other 55 dynos because the majority do their dynoing on DynoJets, but as you can see from my graph I'm picking up a boatload of torque and I keep torque above stock levels all the way to redline with the software. With a stock ECU the TQ limitation kicks in and you can see as RPM climbs my torque takes a nose dive and actually falls back within the original #s in the upper rpm.

machz990:

Give Al @ CPT a call. I'm not sure what it would cost because I had a bunch of stuff done altogether. I will tell you it's pretty reasonable. I believe Jerry's tune is ~$800, the CPT cooling kit is ~$1300, and the VRP pulley is ~$1500. Throw some labor on top of that and you'll have your figure. Overall not THAT bad.

I have no warranty concerns... I have a great relationship with my dealer and seriously don't forsee any problems.

Marcus
Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM

05 e55
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
To answer a few questions:

MB_Forever:

Stock -> Pulley/Cooling +0rwhp, +40rwtq
Pulley Cooling -> Pulley/Cooling/ECU +30rwhp, +60rwtq
Stock -> Pulley/Cooling/ECU +35rwhp, +100rwtq

TopGun:

They do - my numbers are hard to compare with other 55 dynos because the majority do their dynoing on DynoJets, but as you can see from my graph I'm picking up a boatload of torque and I keep torque above stock levels all the way to redline with the software. With a stock ECU the TQ limitation kicks in and you can see as RPM climbs my torque takes a nose dive and actually falls back within the original #s in the upper rpm.

machz990:

Give Al @ CPT a call. I'm not sure what it would cost because I had a bunch of stuff done altogether. I will tell you it's pretty reasonable. I believe Jerry's tune is ~$800, the CPT cooling kit is ~$1300, and the VRP pulley is ~$1500. Throw some labor on top of that and you'll have your figure. Overall not THAT bad.

I have no warranty concerns... I have a great relationship with my dealer and seriously don't forsee any problems.

Marcus

Where did you have this done at? I live in the chicago area to. Let me know if you dont mind.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM

W211 E55
Very nice and informative write up!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Marcus...great writeup. Enjoy the car in good health!!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 PM

E55
Very nice write up. How is the s/c engagement with the new setup? With a moderate tune I would expect it to be a tad bit smoother than some of the others
Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Excellent writeup

Care to share a picture of the giant front mount HE??
Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Hey Marcus,

I have been considering two mods for CPT. First i would like to get an X pipe installed, Second, if U remember my Beast was running very rich at that last dyno day. Do U think CPT can lean me out alittle to wake my car up? I am getting a little bored with my current performance. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Great article Marcus, thanks for taking the time to post your valuable information, and having the fortitude to try the LET tune.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Mr. AMG 20:

http://www.gocpt.com - highly recommended.

supre55:

I actually had my clutch pack replaced under warranty with an updated '06 unit... smooth as silk with no chirp... although obviously when the boost comes on (clutch engages) it's felt a little bit more, mostly because of the +100rwtq

phatmitzu:

I'll take pics this weekend.

ENDSMTG:

My friend you know I'm always available to give advice to my local bretheren. As for the x-pipe, I think it should theoretically give some gains, but they will be minimal. I mentioned before doing cutouts, as I think they will give you good power and realistically will probably not cost that much more than an x-pipe.

As for the tune, I'm sure LET (LET did my tuning, not CPT, although LET is working with CPT) can help you out IF Powerchip (Evosport's tuner) didn't sodder a chip onto your ECU. Powerchip does this apparently and it renders other tunes impossible to flash. LET does flash tunes, not chips. So, unfortunately, if that is the case, you are stuck with Powerchip. That's not necessarily the end of the world, as VRP uses Powerchip and they may be able to help you out. Drop me a line if you want to talk more - either way I think CPT are the guys to help you out.

Regards,

-m
Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Congrats on the setup and thank you for the informative data.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Nice write up.

By the graphs, it looks like you are dumping fuel at about 5800 revs. That isn't good for top end pull!! That is what i mean by the tune being "proper". No disrespect to LET, because no tune happens in a day. max HP and TQ are good, but there are so many other parameters that matter. Each person may want a different thing. I wanted more grunt all around and more power up top and now, my car has a slightly shifted powerband.

Anyhow, looks like a great tune job. Props to LET for taking care of you. That is where this market is at. If they are cool with us and just try, we are happy. Half the time, I don't even know the plan with my car. But, I trust Vadim with it and VRP as a whole to have a reasonable plan.

Guess my point is that you should help LET see that there is more to get and maybe hint at how. Who exactly does their tunes? You literally mean they do? Did they hire someone, or are they just learning? I know nothing of LET, other than knowing of a number of happy customers on this board.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Wow Marcus,

Good stuff. Hats off for this detailed and honest report of the process.

When can you get to the t r a c k to really test the car?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by jangy
Nice write up.

By the graphs, it looks like you are dumping fuel at about 5800 revs. That isn't good for top end pull!! That is what i mean by the tune being "proper". No disrespect to LET, because no tune happens in a day. max HP and TQ are good, but there are so many other parameters that matter. Each person may want a different thing. I wanted more grunt all around and more power up top and now, my car has a slightly shifted powerband.
Hi Jangy.

From the factory the car dumps a lot of fuel, and I still dump quite a bit on top. That is inline with my expectation of a conservative tune . Although I didn't post my stock AFR, I can assure you that I am dumping much less now. Again, as I had said numerous times in my post, I wanted a good conservative tune, and that's what I was given. This was pretty much an off the shelf tune from LET. Jerry has already offered to get more aggressive if I want. Even with dumping that fuel, you can see my curve is consistently fatter the whole way through and I'm still gaining 35rwhp/100rwtq on a Dyno Dynamics dyno over stock. That's impressive any way you want to cut it.

I think what this really means is that this idea that off the shelf tunes will never deliver the full potential hidden in an individual's car. You will get good power off the shelf, but the real gains will be for those who have a tuner handy that can max the effectiveness of their appropriate tune. That's what you did with VRP and I may choose to do the same with LET. Right now, I'm happy with where I am at and I have no qualms about leaving some power on the table.

Anyhow, looks like a great tune job. Props to LET for taking care of you. That is where this market is at. If they are cool with us and just try, we are happy. Half the time, I don't even know the plan with my car. But, I trust Vadim with it and VRP as a whole to have a reasonable plan.
The nice thing about guys like VRP and LET is we have people behind the names. I mean, I know there's Cory @ Kleemann, and Bob @ RENNTech, but they aren't really people in charge. They work for their respective companies. Jerry, Victor, Vadim, these are the faces behind the names. I'm very happy with Jerry especially knowing he's local, I've shaken his hand, and (most importantly) thus far, he's met or exceeded my expectations. That's what I'm looking for in a tuner. I was originally going to go with VRP software but Jerry befriended me and CPT offering to let us try his software out to see what we thought. In the end, I wound up sticking with him not so much because he is somehow better than VRP, but it's just how it worked out and I personally have no reason to try anyone else out, be it VRP or Kleemann at this point. You are fortunate to have Vadim close by, so that's sort of the same thing I have with Jerry.

Guess my point is that you should help LET see that there is more to get and maybe hint at how. Who exactly does their tunes? You literally mean they do? Did they hire someone, or are they just learning? I know nothing of LET, other than knowing of a number of happy customers on this board.
LET needs no help, they met my criteria head on. As I stated earlier, Jerry is asking me when/if he can have some more time with my car to get some more power. I will eventually do that, but not at this point.

As far as who is doing LET's tuning, it's just like most tuners out there including VRP with Powerchips. They send changes to an independent tuner they have in Germany to reflect their specifications. Jerry has been very forthcoming with showing me some of his timing maps and I have been put at ease with any reservations I've had. I'm not afraid to ask questions and I've done standalone tuning in the past so this stuff isn't over my head, and that for some tuners presents a problem because they aren't as up front as honest as LET and VRP. So far, so good.

Next up might be an LET Biturbo 65...

-m
Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
I thought 12.5:1 to 12:1 redline was pretty good, consider its an off-the-shelf tune.

Good stuff.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Marcus,

Just one small comment.. The graph looks good.. nice and smooth..

The 35rwhp is not bad either.. You definitely have a strong car.

I think the 100rwtq though is not accurate. That would be 117rwtq equivalent on a Dynojet which I think you can agree is just not possible with an ECU + pulley.

I think what you are seeing at 2,000RPM is the torque converter flashing as it locks up and the torque spiking. This could be because of the way the throttle was applied during before & after runs.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-24-2008, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Victor,

I know your intetions are good, but honestly I have no reason to suspect anything being off. I have multiple dynos showing similar torque numbers and nothing that shows significantly lower numbers after the software. If we start down the slippery slope of trying to discount 20hp here, or 20tq there because of whatever factors like ECU adapataions, trans quirks, or whatever, we will undermine dynoing in general. I have another dyno (which was done cold) at 450rwhp that I did not post, because it is not reaslistic.

CPT has dyno'd enough MBs and AMGs to know what he is doing. I'm not going to question his expertise. Making 100rwtq over stock is a lot, but not out of the question. The reality is we still don't really know what is and what isn't out of the question with these cars. You tell most people when they see 1 '04 E55 do 375rwhp and mine do 400rwhp that they are exactly the same and they'll think you are lying.

-m

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Complete - LET Tune, VRP Pulley, CPT Cooling - Full Writeup