Supercharger Clutch Pack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Supercharger Clutch Pack

Question brought up from the recent thread "New E55 owner" by HBR.....

How would I go about convincing my dealer to replace my supercharger clutch pack at 42K miles.
I heard about the claims "nothing is wrong since no engine codes" regarding failing intercooler pump.....
My car is a little sluggish, and I'm sure this would help it..... thanks!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by jpohl402

How would I go about convincing my dealer to replace my supercharger clutch pack at 42K miles.
I heard about the claims "nothing is wrong since no engine codes" regarding failing intercooler pump.....
PM Marcus Frost...he had it done on his 2005 E55. He might have some insight on the right tact in getting this done.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Only thing that my tech told me is that you have to keep harrassing them that the squeak is really bothering you. Also say it's VERY harsh upon engagement. May have to bug them a few times.

New clutch supposed to improve squeak and engagement problems.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Only thing that my tech told me is that you have to keep harrassing them that the squeak is really bothering you. Also say it's VERY harsh upon engagement. May have to bug them a few times.

New clutch supposed to improve squeak and engagement problems.
I've complained about harsh engagement to my SA the last 2 times I took my car in. They test drove it both times and said it was fine.

My car is now making a noise after startup that goes away once I start driving. It sounds like it is coming from the front part of the Supercharger. Its a whirring/low volume siren sound. I wonder if this might be the SC clutch bearings? I hate to bring too much attention to this area of the motor since I have a Renntech pulley.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
You tell him there is an intermittent ringing from the s/c pulley at idle, and that you noticed some "schmutz" on the underside of your engine cover. Tell him you have a feeling that the s/c bearing is going out and tell him that you read a technical bulletin on the subject, and if memory serves it was P-B-09.50/25. Ask him to go look that up with you and have him print it out.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG

You need to work on the relationship with your SA. Once that is established, they will pretty much do anything you ask within reason since they get paid by MB to do it anyways. I just told my SA about the issues and even printed out the forum posts here of others with similar problems. Told him it was 'chirping' which seems to be the magic word with them. Took it in later to get the new IC pump replaced and just gave them the MB part # for the pump and said it was losing power after a few hard accelleration attempts.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
jpohl,

I was able to get mine replaced because most importantly, I had a great relationship with my service advisor (like, been to the drag strip with him and his GSX-R) and secondly, I actually did have a pretty rough engagement with my supercharger clutch. I think I would have been able to get it replaced regardless of who my SA was, but I got the updated '06 mechanism because of my SA.

-m
Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by waxking1
I've complained about harsh engagement to my SA the last 2 times I took my car in. They test drove it both times and said it was fine.

My car is now making a noise after startup that goes away once I start driving. It sounds like it is coming from the front part of the Supercharger. Its a whirring/low volume siren sound. I wonder if this might be the SC clutch bearings? I hate to bring too much attention to this area of the motor since I have a Renntech pulley.

You had better get that pulley off before they look at the blower!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had mine replaced t the 07 one from the SL. The car is much smoother. Just bring your S.A. a bottle of some Dom and tell him you want the one from the 07 SL put on Stat
Old 04-24-2008, 02:15 PM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
jpohl,

I was able to get mine replaced because most importantly, I had a great relationship with my service advisor (like, been to the drag strip with him and his GSX-R) and secondly, I actually did have a pretty rough engagement with my supercharger clutch. I think I would have been able to get it replaced regardless of who my SA was, but I got the updated '06 mechanism because of my SA.

-m
Did you have the chirp too or just the rough engagement? I have very rough engagement but no chirp (probably b/c I have '06). I had no luck with the previous SA, but then he got fired and I have a new one ... trying to get on his good side now ...
Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by joshd
Did you have the chirp too or just the rough engagement? I have very rough engagement but no chirp (probably b/c I have '06). I had no luck with the previous SA, but then he got fired and I have a new one ... trying to get on his good side now ...
josh,

Rough engagement and a chirp, but it was the rough engagement that was the problem that I think he wrote up in his paperwork.

-m
Old 04-24-2008, 04:23 PM

06 e55 wagon
josh,

Rough engagement and a chirp, but it was the rough engagement that was the problem that I think he wrote up in his paperwork.

-m
Thanks ... clearly I need to invest in some good champagne or cigars or something for my new SA. I took my car to two dealers in the DC area and they both gave me the 'they all do that' with respect to rough S/C engagement
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by joshd
Thanks ... clearly I need to invest in some good champagne or cigars or something for my new SA. I took my car to two dealers in the DC area and they both gave me the 'they all do that' with respect to rough S/C engagement
josh,

I actually found my SA through another forum and got to know him that way. Not all SAs are created equal and you might want to spend some time talking with other DC MB guys and finding out if any of them have an SA they know or could recommend. Trying to charm just any old SA might not work as well as you would hope it would.

Good luck.

Marcus
Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by supre55
You tell him there is an intermittent ringing from the s/c pulley at idle, and that you noticed some "schmutz" on the underside of your engine cover. Tell him you have a feeling that the s/c bearing is going out and tell him that you read a technical bulletin on the subject, and if memory serves it was P-B-09.50/25. Ask him to go look that up with you and have him print it out.
That part number is for the clutch pack - Or the bearing? Are they the same thing? I'm going tomorrow AM..... thanks!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

josh,

-m
Rough engagement and chirp it is.....
Taking it over in the AM, thank you!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 AM

E55
That part number is for the clutch pack - Or the bearing? Are they the same thing? I'm going tomorrow AM..... thanks!
That is the technical bulletin number... it replaces the whole assembly, bearing, pulley and clutch
Old 04-25-2008, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by supre55
That is the technical bulletin number... it replaces the whole assembly, bearing, pulley and clutch
Thank you!
Got an appt for Wed, no prob........
Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 PM

What is the part no. for the IC-pump.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:23 AM

2012 JDM
Jpohl402... see post #8

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=chirp
Old 04-26-2008, 02:42 AM

CL65
Originally Posted by tommy25000
You had better get that pulley off before they look at the blower!!!
You're probably right but I doubt I take the pulley off. Hopefully my dealership won't kill my warranty.
Its too much work to remove it and then reinstall it after I get it back. I can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from but after the car has been started for a few minutes the noise quits. If it is the SC clutch bearings then I'm sure they could claim that the larger pulley caused more tension on the belt and wore the bearing prematurely.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I actually think that is a valid result. Is your car ECU tuned as well. Be careful taking it to just any service rep (SA). It can get ugly for very little reason if you come accross the wrong person and as much as our cars need attention, you may be rolling the dice.

I'm not saying to do anything illegal or immoral, but it is nice to have an SA, or even better a Tech, that you can communicate with. Then, the discussions about mods and what is covered and not is a rational one. If you get an SA with an agenda, it can be bad. I dunno how much warranty you have left (mine has 100,000), but just thought I'd drop 60 cents on you.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by jangy
I actually think that is a valid result. Is your car ECU tuned as well. Be careful taking it to just any service rep (SA). It can get ugly for very little reason if you come accross the wrong person and as much as our cars need attention, you may be rolling the dice.

I'm not saying to do anything illegal or immoral, but it is nice to have an SA, or even better a Tech, that you can communicate with. Then, the discussions about mods and what is covered and not is a rational one. If you get an SA with an agenda, it can be bad. I dunno how much warranty you have left (mine has 100,000), but just thought I'd drop 60 cents on you.
If it gets to the level of Service Manager...forget about it...they are already getting the spikes to crucify you (all the while smiling and foregoing lubrication)...good luck!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by J 2OOI
I appreciate it!