Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price O' Gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by OzE55
To be cynical and answer your question, and not wanting to start a 'war', the US is final entering the realm of the rest of the world. The US consumer has been overly protected from real world issues/needs. The 'consumption' society is not going to be happy with the pace of change it will need to endure to 'catch up' to Europe and the rest of the world. I think its been much easier for 'outsiders' see whats going on and what's likely to happen than US society in general who seem to be 'protected' intellectually and fiscally from world and internal economic events. I think the sub prime mortgage ice berg in the US is yet to play out and there may be a lot of very unhappy and poor people to content with.
IMO your gas will reach $5-6/gallon, probably, in the next 12 months. OPEC is going to squeeze everyone. And I'm afraid that the US multi-trillion dollar debt will have very profound effects in the US and abroad. I just hope that the current crop of US presidential hopefulls have the will and power to manage the change and hopefully not at the expense of the rest of the world.

Please dont mistake my answer to your question as anti-US sentiment. Its not. Its an outsiders view. I love the place. I lived in Boston for a few years and have many dear friends in the US who my family and I visit regularly.

I'm off my soap box. But you did ask!
Not offended, as you do have some good points. The problems are real, and they are HARRRDDD pills to swallow. Period. We shall see what comes...
Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
The Tesla will not work for me. I don't fit in a Lotus.

As for gas pricing variances, those are more likely a tax issue than a cost of gas issue.

If you want crap gas, buy what comes out of some of the middle east refineries. You can buy that, with no taxes on it, for $0.25 in Iraq (maybe $0.50 now). It is so bad, the US military can't use it.

One way to get the oil price down is to start a couple of oil wells in Anwar and in the new reserve recently found in northern Wyoming/Southern Montana.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG 2010, Black, Pano, P2
The problem is the whole US economy & transportation is built around availability of cheap oil. There is barely any public transportation and alternative infrastructure investment is slow to come. What this means is that we are most likley in a for a shock and some really hard times ahead of us. High prices are here to stay and will go higher, this will squeeze the consumer and overall the quality life for all middle-class americans will decline in the years ahead as more of our income will be spent on energy and food -- no more toys
You can't mortgage yourself to prosperity, we've been doing this for a while now, it is time pay up. Long term dollar will keep falling and pricess will be going higher, taxes will be higher. Sad, very sad what is happening. We may even see gas rationing if the prices keep the space.

What is also scary is that this may trigger resource wars especially as China, Russia and other countries become stronger and US will have to secure sources of energy. I think we are already begining to see this, and it is just the begining.

I might be sounding too pessimistic, but I am just looking at the fundamentals. I just dont see a way out.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:24 PM

2007 S550 (S65 Package)
4.00 per gallon here in Sacramento, Ca. it took me 80 bucks to fill my beast up. worst part about it is im getting like 16-18 mpg from city driving
Old 04-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
I saw super unleaded@ $4.26ga at a Citgo on the palisades parkway,less the 5 miles down the road across the N.J. border super is $3.55gallon.At a Citgo no less

What pisses me off to no end is that the major oil companies are still reporting record high profits.It would be a little more understandable if they were LOSING profit&thats why the cost was jacked up. I have a 90 mile commute each day,thankfully my ford focus d/d gets 30mpgThe working stiff's are the one's who take it up da butt with the gas prices
The 63 just sits in the garage...

And the oil companys just sit back&say:Hooray for me F you!
Old 04-27-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 SL600
Originally Posted by ProV1
i feel your pain.. and to those bickering "u gotta pay to play", well no chit!! when the oil price hits $150+/gal and a f##kin chaos ensues, please sing the same song.

wit the declining economy & rising gas prices, already dismal resale value of 12MPG E55 will be nose diving even faster now
Actually, oil rising would help my situation. I leased my E55. Between, the sub 2% interest rate, the fact it's a third car (meaning I don't put a ton of miles on it), and that the first few years see huge depreciation, I had no interest in buying.

The resale value decline just enhances my situation. I leased with a residual value of ~$65k and could probably buy the car from the dealer for $50k (meaning I'd have saved myself $15k from buying outright). If I want to keep it, I'd love to see the resale value drop another $10k! I might keep the car if i could buy it for $40k.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 PM

S211 AMG
Originally Posted by por997s
I have to laugh at you guys complaining about petrol prices. GBP £104 to fill up the beast with Super Unleaded Plus 97ron! Over $200! £1.30 per litre nearly $12 per gallon. Have fun guys!
1.30 a Lt? I was just home about two months ago and it was 1.07. What the f**k happened? That's a $2 rise in two months

I feel for ya. I know the cost of oil has gone through the roof but petrol in the UK has always been a scam. A few years ago there was a picket of the oil refineries by the lorry drivers complaining about rising prices. This picket prevented gas being distrubuted to the stations. The country basically grounded to a halt in about 3 weeks if I remember, and I believe the final outcome was a promise by the government not to futher increase petrol prices. Perhaps it's time for more action... Not only would it effect the coffers of the government but the oil producers as well... eventually...
Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM

04 - 06 e55 Wagon - looking for
The price of gas should always be a component on the decision scale. I don't drive much ($8K per year) so even if gas goes up to $5 - $6 per gallon, I will still purchase a wagon. I have noticed more e55 sedans for sale - but not wagons .
Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 PM

04 - 06 e55 Wagon - looking for
I meant 8K miles per year.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 AM

2005 AMG E55
Finally we have something cheaper in Hawaii than the US mainland! I filled up 92 at 3.81 per gallon tonight. 17.824 gallons for $68.07. Doesn't matter though. Milk is still $7 per gallon.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by dpavid
Doesn't matter though. Milk is still $7 per gallon.
Dont you have cows in Hawaii? I suppose you got everything else!!