Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which year E55 to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which year E55 to buy?

Hey all, I've been a lurker on these forums for a while now, but not new to the MB world. My parents have gone through a few S class Benzes in the past. Their last, a W140 S600, has had a lot of problems, despite how fun the car is.

I've been considering getting an E55, but I'm not sure which to get. Have there been problems with the earlier models...03, 04? What have the changes been throughout the years? If you can go back, which year would you think is best to get?

As a bit of background, I'm coming from a heavily modded Audi A4 1.8tq.
tia
Old 04-29-2008, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
you will want to get the latest year you can afford with the lowest miles possible and the most warranty left over.

that basically sums it up. why would you get an older one if you can afford a newer one that has less miles, newer equipment/config, and more warranty
Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
I agree with this observation, prolly the best way to go. Be sure and check closely the options you are getting. There are a few goodies you will want like keyless go, electric trunk closer, side window blinds, parktronic, sat radio, ipod integration, and panaramic sunroof.

Be sure and get the color you want, black will be a part time job to keep clean.

Get a CPO warranty.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
i agree 100%....make SURE U HAVE WARRANTY on these cars!!!....i had a personal experience that made me go out and spend the extra money for the easycare warranty....it was the best "mod" for this car without a doubt
Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E55 Techtite Grey
Why should you make sure you have a warranty? Will they cover aftermarket mods? How much do they run and can I get one for my 03 E55?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
i agree 100%....make SURE U HAVE WARRANTY on these cars!!!....i had a personal experience that made me go out and spend the extra money for the easycare warranty....it was the best "mod" for this car without a doubt
Specifically what happened?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Originally Posted by NSX2NV
Why should you make sure you have a warranty? Will they cover aftermarket mods? How much do they run and can I get one for my 03 E55?
no, they dont.
but these cars use sophisticated technology for suspension, and electronics. and if they break, they cost SOPHISTICATED pricing.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Fantasm
no, they dont.
but these cars use sophisticated technology for suspension, and electronics. and if they break, they cost SOPHISTICATED pricing.
+1 warranty is a must. Make sure the specific warranty you get will cover things like suspension, electronics (seats, instrument cluster, etc....), and other engine parts.

The depreciation on AMGs is so great right now that it is truly a good time to buy. So make sure you shop around, and try to find the latest model year you can afford.

Good luck.......
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Obviously, with the quickly depreciating cost, I'd like to get the cheapest one out there. I am leary of getting into an 03 because that's the first year it was introduced, however, I suppose with a warranty, I shouldn't be as worried. It is definitely tempting to get an 03 e55 over a new toyota camry. I guess the key is to shop around and definitely go with a warranty. I'm in Hawaii so the best bet for me would probably be to visit our only MB dealer and see what they have and if they honor outside warranties.