Sponsored by:

Aftermarket air filters for 55/63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Aftermarket air filters for 55/63

Plan on replacing my stock paper filters with a more performance oriented one after a few more trips to the drag strip.

Most of the hi-po ones are pre-oiled. Two questions:

1. Has anyone 55 or 63 had problems with their mass airflow sensors?
2. What is available for the 63?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Only VRP and an unknown brand on e-bay make hi performance air filters for the 63 so far, but hopefully more companies will jump in....

BMC announced once that they will release their air filters for the 63, but it never came out.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 AM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Only VRP and an unknown brand on e-bay make hi performance air filters for the 63 so far, but hopefully more companies will jump in....

BMC announced once that they will release their air filters for the 63, but it never came out.
BMC has released the air filter for the E63...code # 521/20 about $90 each. I still would loike to know about the first question..and that is does the oiled filters have any effect of the sensor! I have heard from two schools on that. If someone has a long term knowledge...I would like to hear abut it......!!
Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
BMC has released the air filter for the E63...code # 521/20 about $90 each. I still would loike to know about the first question..and that is does the oiled filters have any effect of the sensor! I have heard from two schools on that. If someone has a long term knowledge...I would like to hear abut it......!!
NO k/n style filters DO NOT hurt ANYTHING.

This question has been debated to death on this site

Go to K/N website for the story on oil and MAF's. http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

They are safe, and I have been using them for over 20 years now with NEVER any problems with ANY electornics.

See yeah

And of course, I do not work for or have any interst in K/N other than one happy customer
Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
W211 E55's don't use a mass air sensor. On the W210, an over oiled K&N has caused problems, but only if it's heavily over oiled. I never had any issues with them in my '02 E55. Don't really expect to gain much though. I did not see any repeatable gains on the blown '02. Optimistically, I gained 3-4 RWHP.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Fast55
W211 E55's don't use a mass air sensor. On the W210, an over oiled K&N has caused problems, but only if it's heavily over oiled. I never had any issues with them in my '02 E55. Don't really expect to gain much though. I did not see any repeatable gains on the blown '02. Optimistically, I gained 3-4 RWHP.
How is the air metered on a W211 E55 or is there only a fuel map with no air metering?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 AM

Reason I am asking the oil/MAF question was b/c i went to the dealer on Mon and they said ANY type of aftermarket air filter/system/intake will void ALL WARRANTY issues if I have a problem with ANY part of the intact..and they specifically mentioned the MAF and that they have seen MAF sensors go bad.

Funny, I have had K&N's on every vehicle I have owned
Firebirds, Corvettes, BMW's, Vipers, Lexus and have never had a single issue with the MAF. Service department is looking to make some moneys on me or setting me up in the future when I get the filters.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
How is the air metered on a W211 E55 or is there only a fuel map with no air metering?
Manifold pressure VS the ECU fuel mapping. As far as warranty, a dealer cannot void your warranty for an aftermarket filter. I'd hate to fight the battle, but they would lose.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by 05VENOM
Reason I am asking the oil/MAF question was b/c i went to the dealer on Mon and they said ANY type of aftermarket air filter/system/intake will void ALL WARRANTY issues if I have a problem with ANY part of the intact..and they specifically mentioned the MAF and that they have seen MAF sensors go bad.

Firebirds, Corvettes, BMW's, Vipers, Lexus and have never had a single issue with the MAF. Service department is looking to make some moneys on me or setting me up in the future when I get the filters.
A dealer myth. Just to be on the safe side, save your factory filters for the day you may have to return the idiot dealer concerning a air flow problem.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by m_berman
A dealer myth. Just to be on the safe side, save your factory filters for the day you may have to return the idiot dealer concerning a air flow problem.
Yeah, save your stock filters and swap them before you get to the dealer. problem fixed.
I've also used K&Ns my whole life. I've never had any issues with them; however, i've heard plenty of horror stories from mustang enthusiasts about their mafs malfunctioning or totally dying because they oiled their filters up too much.
Guess just use common sense and don't use a filter that's dripping wet.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Bay Area User
Yeah, save your stock filters and swap them before you get to the dealer. problem fixed.
I've also used K&Ns my whole life. I've never had any issues with them; however, i've heard plenty of horror stories from mustang enthusiasts about their mafs malfunctioning or totally dying because they oiled their filters up too much.
Guess just use common sense and don't use a filter that's dripping wet.
Hey there Bay Area User:

I don't know, but I have installed K/N's on Mustangs for over 20 years and have NEVER seen a single MAF fail because of it. Even from idiots thinking if a little oil is good more is better. I personally have installed well over a 100 on stangs alone, even my own and I had an aftermarket MAF, stock for about 25,000. Oh well, I am not starting an argument here, but thats just Horse hockey about the oil my friend.

See yeah
Old 03-19-2008, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
K&Ns are mess, I am not washing and oiling air filters.
To the OP on a 63 no problem, N/A motor take the filters out when you race.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey there Bay Area User:

I don't know, but I have installed K/N's on Mustangs for over 20 years and have NEVER seen a single MAF fail because of it. Even from idiots thinking if a little oil is good more is better. I personally have installed well over a 100 on stangs alone, even my own and I had an aftermarket MAF, stock for about 25,000. Oh well, I am not starting an argument here, but thats just Horse hockey about the oil my friend.

See yeah
No problem, i agree. I have used them without problems for many years too. Everyone i know has used them without problems too. But visit any site, mustangworld, cafords, westcoastfords, stangnet, etc.. and you'll find some kid who, like you said, thought "that more is better." and just got oil all over the maf. In some instances it just malfunctions until you clean it with carb cleaner but sometimes it ruins them.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Bay Area User
No problem, i agree. I have used them without problems for many years too. Everyone i know has used them without problems too. But visit any site, mustangworld, cafords, westcoastfords, stangnet, etc.. and you'll find some kid who, like you said, thought "that more is better." and just got oil all over the maf. In some instances it just malfunctions until you clean it with carb cleaner but sometimes it ruins them.
Yeah, I know what you mean my friend.

see yeah
Old 03-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Almost a Member!

08 E63 Soon
E-bay filters. A review

Some time ago I bought a carbon fiber licence plate frame from the E-bay seller that has the E63 filters. Their service and product was really good so I felt confident in buying a set of 63 filters from them. Sure enough I got them well packaged and exactly as described. The only thing is that I don't have my car yet so they sat on the shelf. Now for the good news. My good friend already has his E63 and he asked me if he could try the filters out. A local car show was having a portable dyno there for a charity event so we went down to see if these filters were really any good. He did two pulls before and two pulls after the filters were installed. The result with the filters installed was a 6hp gain on the first pull and 7hp on the second pull. After that there was no prying the filters away from him so I had to buy another set which again are on the shelf waiting for my car. BTW he put over 5K on his car since with no CEL's or problems

The sellers website is: www.5ivefifty.com for anyone who is interested
Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by 05VENOM

I have had the VRP filters in since Jan08 a few thousand miles. I did get a CEL but it was due to a TSB, I brought the car to the dealer as is and they did not care at all on the after market filter. You can always just reinstall you filter set prior to goingto the dealer. I agree its a 5-8 hp increase.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:51 PM

Everyone is pretty much confirming my point. I have a set ordered.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:50 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by juicee63
I have had the VRP filters in since Jan08 a few thousand miles. I did get a CEL but it was due to a TSB, I brought the car to the dealer as is and they did not care at all on the after market filter. You can always just reinstall you filter set prior to goingto the dealer. I agree its a 5-8 hp increase.
Does removing the carbon filters get some of the credit for the 5-8 hp gain or is that all from the VRP filters? I just want to be clear on this.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=vr530

Teolax: You will find a lot of information here.